Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm spending a few days in London beginning of August with my family - we're Americans here - and I have taken up the task of convincing everyone of where to eat. What kind of food could we get here that we couldn't back in the states? It doesn't have to be like, fine cuisine or anything, just somewhere to go on a Friday night or something. My family's picky, but I'll deal with that part. Thanks :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sorry for being vague, I didn't know many details about the trip up until now. Lessee...

To narrow it down, I'm looking for good Indian, Chinese and whatever else Gordon Ramsay goes bugfuck over, as well as any "local" flavors (think parmo). There's gotta be something unique to London compared to the states, right? Fish and chips would work, but I'd love to hear about other options as well. Price isn't that big a deal, but I'd prefer to stay away from super-expensive fare.

I myself am from Boston - and England and New England aren't exactly super different food-wise - but the rest of my family is from Bumfuck, Florida, so I'm gonna make sure they'll appreciate something new to eat. It's mostly just my brother that's picky, and somewhat my sister as well, but if he doesn't like it well gently caress more for me then.

Looking through your suggestions, Indian is definitely first on the list for me, and that Greek restaurant sounds good as well. Chinese being significantly different intrigues me, too. What I really want to try, though, is the more casual kinda food, since I think that'd have the biggest difference from what we'd get in the states.

We'll be around Purcell St, N1 6PW, wherever that is. We can move around by subway or train easy enough, so we're not stuck to any particular area.

(suggestions for places to get drunk as gently caress would be well appreciated too :ssh:)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 30, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spuckuk posted:

When you arrive for your booked table, you will still wait an a hour or more. Found this one out the hard way.

Really? drat :( What's the whole "unique dining experience" stuff they're going on about, anyway? That always seemed to be a bit of a red flag to me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dad wants to go get pub grub while we're here. What's everyone's favorite places 'round EDIT: Shoreditch? I've got the suggestions from earlier, as well.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 28, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just got back from Needoo. Holy god, I can't move. That was loving delicious. :kimchi: The fam loved it too (although my sister's guts don't agree with spice much).

We came there around 945-10 and were told there'd be a wait of ~45 minutes, but we got in within 25 or so. Surprisingly cheap for a London restaurant too, we didn't quite hit 60q to feed a family of five. I noticed that there wasn't an alcohol section, which I understood after walking around the neighborhood a bit.

Definitely go there if you have a chance. I'll have to drag dad to 3 Crowns tomorrow...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not quite England, but I’m in Dublin for a couple days - any suggestions on places to eat? Irishy stuff ideally, tho if that’s better found elsewhere that’s fine too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am aware that Ireland is not the UK that is why I said “not quite” eat my butt

Doesn’t matter I’m eating fry ups all vacation anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no I want a boxty now. :negative: Will keep an eye out.

We’ll going to Kinsale and Dingle next so good times are coming.

The_Doctor posted:

And white pudding.

Black pudding :colbert:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am sorry to say that we’ve eaten more times at Subway and Burger King than we have anything else in this trip. Genuinely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The reason for Subway is because while I took a break after the hop on hop off to go gift shopping and have a cappuccino at a cafe, the rest of the family did a walking tour that ran 30min over, and we were late for the hop on hop off to Guinness.

The reason for Burger King is because we overslept for the Musical Pub Crawl thing after coming back from Guinness and we had to rush across the river within 10 minutes. In case you were wondering, no, the crawl did not include drinks.

The reason for breakfast being self cooked grey scrambled eggs is because dad is cheap and fry ups are too many calories also because we have 1 hour before we need to call a cab/get the car/do our next tour c’mon let’s go let’s go!!!!!!!

Not much of a “vacation”, but I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I guess. :shrug: