Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Oh my god, why did I take the whole bottle of pills?
Went to Hix bar,Copita and Mishkins yesterday;

Mishkins is the new place by the team behind Polpo, Spuntino etc, and is aiming for the New York Jewish Deli style, with Reubens, Matzo Ball Soup etc, but also things like Big Apple Hot Dogs (definitely the best in London) and the Cod Cheek Popcorn, which is like Scampi if it were even better. They also had a special of Duck Crackling, which was the best bar snack I've had for a while

Dropped by Copita for Gin and Tonic's the size of your head, but overall wasn't too impressed with the pretty small portions and fairly lacklustre service. The Iberico Pork ribs were very good though.

Hix bar currently has some good snacks going on, as well as being the only place with Bar Billiards that I know of in the city. They had Cider Battered Brussel Sprouts with Black Pudding, and Bone Marrow (but more a bone marrow stuffing than the normal marrow, very good if you don't like the texture of Bone Marrow, like me)

Also, if you haven't done the Hawksmoor Sunday Lunch, you're missing out. It's only £17 for more food than a plate can handle;

http://bit.ly/iur124

(Apologies for the blog self-pimping)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Neris posted:

Lucky chip is apparently awesome as gently caress although the burgers aren't supposed to be as nice as Meatwagon's (whose are the best in London, I guess?).

Grabbed one of their Rudolph Burgers at the Long Table a couple of weeks ago and I'd back this up. These burgers are definitely the best I've had in London (not been to MeatWagon/Meateasy yet though)

In other news, if you are in the North London region, definitely look up the Long Table in Dalston, street market with a tonne of good food, I think this Friday's the last one. There's a long queue, but well worth it.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

woofay posted:

i'm poor as hell at the moment since xmas - but i've been craving a bodeans for weeks

Pitt Cue Co opens their new brick and mortar place tomorrow in Soho, if it's in line with the van it'll be cheaper and better than Bodeans.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

therattle posted:

Tell me more! What do they serve, and where is it? Ah. ç. A bit far for me, but not THAT far - I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

You can see what they served out the van here; http://bit.ly/yOEVn9 (Sorry for the blog pimping again)

It's mainly fantastic pulled pork and brisket, with whiskey cocktails. If it's anywhere near as good as the one on the South Bank was, it's worth checking out. I hear the Pickleback is a treat that's not to be missed (whiskey chased with pickle brine and a piece of crackling)

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Went to Opera Tavern last Friday night, fantastic location for tapas, if not that cheap. Worth the price of admission for the Iberico Pork and Foie Gras mini burgers, which were little bundles of love. Not so keen on the fishcakes, but there were definitely more extremely good dishes that we had than poor ones. Particularly fond of the stuffed courgette flowers and the generous helpings of fantastic charcuterie

It's also a good location if you're visiting London, right off Covent Garden, making it perfect for visiting pre-theatre.

Also backing up the Pitt Cue Co love once more, good food in the perfect location to fuel up before a days shopping in the centre of town. Had the ribs, burnt end mash, baked beans, sausage and pickles and all were very good for what was an inexpensive meal in an area that's lacking good cheap food. The only problem will be the wait for the next few weeks

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On the burgers front, I still want to go to Lucky Chip in Hackney.

I saw somewhere on Twitter that they're following the Pitt Cue Co example and opening up a place in Soho, some sort of Slider bar if I'm not mistaken

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Went to Roganic yesterday for the 10 course tasting menu, definitely worth a trip. Was worth it for the coal infused oil alone, but the whole experience was just fantastic, including the fact that they told us that when we arrived one of the waiters told our waiter 'They looks nice, lets get them drunk and make them spend their whole Saturday here'

Which is just what happened...mostly due to the fantastic array of wines and the suggested pairings, but also that they ended up giving us 2 glasses of each wine for the price of one (around £6 per glass) due to topping up throughout the meal.

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

tentish klown posted:

I just had a look at the website - £80 for ten courses sounds doable, but how does the wine happen? Can you get it matched to the courses with a flat fee or do you have to pay per glass?

It was a pay per glass, but they matched us 3 wines for the 10 courses, we also got a glass of sparkling rose, apple brandy and a sweet wine, as well as the cheese course for around £150 a head. They were fully open to us just saying how much wine we wanted and then picking what would be best, other tables seemed to just get one glass each or a bottle.

Looking at the bill, it wasn't more than £5 or £6 for any wines except the sparkling wine and the brandy, whch was fantastic value considering we left wanting to buy every wine we'd tried

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

Went to The Kitchen Table behind Bubbledogs last night. Great fun, with all you know about the next course being the main component (ie Cod,Mango).

Would recommend the early sitting(ie 6pm), because otherwise you get to see what is coming up, which could ruin the surprise a bit.

The highlights were the crispy chicken skin with bacon jam (we concluded we'd be happy with the extinction of chickens if we could eat that dish at every meal) and the mango and coconut ice cream made with a comically pink, plastic ice shaving machine

For £68 at 12 courses, it was one of the best tasting menus I've had in a while in terms of general fun and atmosphere as well as food. It was also nice just walking straight through the queue outside Bubbledogs to get in, on a night as cold as yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor_Happy
Jun 17, 2005

sweek0 posted:

What are everyone's favourite lunch options in the City? I still haven't really found anything all that exciting.

If near Bank then City Caphe and Tsuru are always good bets, as well as Kerb by the Gherkin on Thurs and Fri, or Street Kitchen in Broadgate Circle the rest if the time.