Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Young cooks - now "children of the privileged", apparently, despite being the most overworked and underpaid people in London - are bearing the ire of mainstream society when it's the entire wealthier society that cut the loving program. Get real. If you give a poo poo about the program, do something actually productive, because these guys have done nothing to further diminish it, it's already dead and you killed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There isn't really food you can't get in the states in London.

Obviously there's pakistani food in the States, but you're probably looking for something like Tayyab's, ie, a dining experience that's distinctly London.

Also, budget? St. John's is very distinct as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 29, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tayyab's is BYOB... if you don't go there I'm gonna get really pissed off

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

Lahore Kebab house if you actually want to sit down without waiting 8 hours.
http://tayyabs.co.uk/experience.php

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

St. John's? Truly excellent meat, very special

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Really? drat :( What's the whole "unique dining experience" stuff they're going on about, anyway? That always seemed to be a bit of a red flag to me.
It's just that it's freakin' huge and busy and tasty (but it's not cramped so it doesn't suck)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

angelicism posted:

I'm now upset if Hawksmoor is among the best steak in the city.

Don't get me wrong, it was great, but I like better than great.
Realistically, if Hawksmoore isn't good enough, you're better off doing it at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Splurging - There's splurging and splurging. Personally I'd recommend Hawksmoor. They do a £26 a la carte menu that's pretty decent, but it's also the place that you can splurgeat. I've spent £150 on a meal for 2 with wine there before now. Avoid the Air Street branch, I think it lacks the character of other branches.
If you do this at Seven Dials, do it on a Monday - it's BYOB with a £5 corkage charge instead of £25. I brought a magnum.

The cocktails, while hyped, weren't exceptional.

But the food is fantastic.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 28, 2014