Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

oldy posted:

If anyone's ever around Archway, you should check out 500, a really nice Italian restaurant. It's pretty tiny, you'll likely have to book. It's on Holloway Road near the Archway end - not the most salubrious of settings, but don't let that put you off! http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2%3A14691/500-restaurant

It's also very close to the Sitara, billed as an "Indian Jazz Restaurant". A fairly decent Indian with Jazz music playing and various Jazz themed paraphernalia on the walls. I will be visiting both of these places when I'm in London for Christmas!

I've tried to go to 500 so many times because it's so close, but I was never able to make a reservation for the same night or the next weekend - they seem ridiculously popular for a neighbourhood restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
For Turkish you should go to Harringay. Anywhere on Green Lanes is pretty fantastic. Antepliler is probably one of the best ones out there.

Also there's a great one in Dalston, which does amazing breakfasts. I can't remember the name of right now, but Neris should know.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Neris posted:

I don't think Anteplier is THAT good - the one in Islington? It was okay and good value but I don't know it's all that amazing. Maybe though!

Anyway the one in Dalston is called Evin. Nice review here. . You HAVE to order the sucuklu menemen if you're not a veggie that is!

I'm prtty sure they're completely separate restaurants and just have the same name. The Harringay one is very good. :)

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Refried Noodle posted:

Another prospective first-time visitor to London here. This thread is great! My girlfriend recently turned vegetarian and Mildred's will definitely be on the program. Any another places you would recommend for veggie goodness? We are staying on the South Bank if that helps.

I can't think of any other great veggie-only restaurants, but compared to the US and most of the rest of Europe, almost all restaurants in London are very veggie-friendly and will have numerous good veggie dishes, all clearly marked on the menu as well. It's almost never just a token pasta.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
I don't think I've ever really heard of anyone actually enjoying the whole Stonehenge thing. I've just driven past it and it's just not all that amazing I think.

And yes the Underground/subway is pretty drat good and very user friendly, although you're on the Hammersmith and City line which is probably the worst of all. It's gotten a little better lately and now runs every 5 minutes instead of every 10, at least. You'll probably be better off walking to Shepherd's Bush and taking the central line. The one thing you really want to watch out for is engineering works on weekends when there's generally 4-5 sections of lines closed somewhere.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 20, 2012

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Mestizo isn't in Angel, it's in Somers Town on Hampstead Road. And yeah it is very good but pretty pricey as well.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Phoenix Palace near Baker Street? Ask for the special dumpling menu.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

If you like curry, Tayyabs on Fieldgate St is widely acknowledged as one of the best curry houses in London. The sizzling tandoori/grilled starters are cheap and delicious. Their take on Pakistani cuisine is outstanding, and it's excellent value for money (and BYO with no corkage fee). Booking for large groups/at busy times is essential, though, and even then you will possibly have to wait for a little bit.

It's walking distance from Aldgate, or there are a ton of buses if you're feeling lazy/full.

As much as I like Tayyabs, it's really not a 'nice restaurant'. It's tightly packed, you may well have to queue even with a reservation, it's loud and they do kind of rush you and want you to leave your table when you're done.

If you're looking for something 'nice' in East London, have a look at the Corner room in Bethnal Green for example. Or St. John as already mentioned.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

theunderwaterbear posted:

Hi thread. I'm going to be staying in a hotel on the south bank kind of between Clapham junction and Battersea park. Does anyone have any recommendations for good restaurants within walking distance? Or otherwise easily got to that would be worth the trip? Vege-pesce-tarian friendly please, and not too dear (say £20 a main course max?).

Heard great stuff about this place, but have never been there.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/14/brunswick-house-cafe-london-review

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Oh yeah do go to the Ship for their Scotch eggs but avoid the rest of the clientele. The staff there are nice though.

The White Horse on Parsons Green is a nice pub with great beers as well, but again full of toffs.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

madlilnerd posted:

Is Pizza East actually any good? I've been working for Square Meal restaurant and bar guide all summer, phoning up every restaurant in London and it's jaded me to eating out, but Kentish Town is getting a Pizza East very soon, or it's just opened (along with Chicken Shop and Dirty Burger) and I'm tempted by proper pizza.

Also dammit, the one weekend I have poo poo to do on Saturday they start giving out free burgers.

Yes they're good, but you can get better pizza than that. Actually if you want to try interesting and original pizzas then Pizza East is the best place to go. If you want to go for simple traditional stuff, I would really recommend Sarracino in West Hampstead. Awesome and authentic Naples pizzas in a trattoria kind of setting.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

madlilnerd posted:

Thanks for this. I'm planning to go to The Bull & Last next time I wander up to Highgate Cemetery.

Also starting to worry about Kentish Town getting so trendy, I had this little hope that I could stay here once I graduated, but I bet my rent is going to go way up now :smith:

No poo poo, every chain seems to have opened up in Kentish Town recently. It's convenient but the area is just not all that fun anymore. There's only a few shops I really still like there, like Phoenicia which is an amazing Mediterranean supermarket.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

Honestly, I live in Highgate, and nearish to The Bull and Last, and it's not THAT good, certainly not crap. The Wrestlers nearly opposite is a better pub, and does a better sunday roast for cheaper, if you can get a seat.

Yay for the Wrestlers, although I haven't eaten there yet. Will try very soon. :)

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

madlilnerd posted:

Has anyone been to Tapping the Admiral? I have been dreaming about doing a ale trail round my locale, starting with Euston Tap and ending with The Southampton Arms, with BrewDog and Tapping the Admiral en route.
Yep, fun little local pub, bit out of the way. It's also really drat cheap! Basically all those pubs you just named are very good. :) Here, fellow-goon and friend of mine Lloydy reviewed it on his beer blog. http://bitterbloke.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/tapping-admiral.html

Food is just simple Asian food as in many other pubs, do not bother with that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any suggestions for a Chinese/Thai place that delivers to N4? I have a poorly partner in need of tasty comfort.

Oriental Gourmet is pretty good in my opinion! They're in N7, deliver to N19 for me so I'm sure they do N4 as well.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Mid-tier chain dining discussions are required to have Wahaca mentions, JFYI.

Wahaca is pretty good. Not authentic in any way but then again the whole striving for authenticity thing is also a bit silly.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

I know a few South africans, and they seem pretty sure it's originally from SA.

Ehh, just look at Wikipedia.

Nando's is a South African casual dining restaurant group originating from the Mozambiquan-Portuguese community with a Portuguese/Mozambiquan theme.

South African restaurant meaning that that's where they were founded, not that they serve South African cuisine.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Mousepractice posted:

The worst chips I ever had in my life were from Nandos in the Brunswick Centre. By contrast, I had take-out from Chicken Shop the other night, and it was top stuff. Really crunchy chips, well-roasted juicy bird, and good hot sauce. I reckon it works better as a takeaway, eating in there is a little too cramped. Just don't bother getting the salad or slaw to take home, both are easily replicated at home in seconds.

On the subject of takeaway (in the eating out thread, no less), is anyone else a fan of Kris Wines on York Way? If you're anywhere near Camden Road / Holloway / Kentish it's an important destination. They stock more amazing beers than you could hope to sample in one blurry, cirrhotic lifetime.
Yes it's an awesome shop. :) Very expensive but worth going to every now and then for the awesome variety. The actual wines are great too. It feels like supermarkets have no more decent wines left under £8 these days, and this place comes in really handy for that.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

The_Doctor posted:

I'm meeting an American friend tonight at Vauxhall at 830, what's still open and good around there? Reasonably priced please?

Still open? Is that ever really an issue? This isn't Belgium/France!

Vauxhall is a bit of a poo poo/soulless area for food but this place has always looked interesting to me. http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/14/brunswick-house-cafe-london-review

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Laminator posted:

I'm in London for about another week or so. Been reading through this thread but it's hard to keep track of all the good stuff when you have only a basic understanding of the different areas of London... I'm staying in East London near Liverpool Street station - any good places in this area?

We're going to Hyde Park tomorrow evening, are there any good fish and chips near there? Or any other good and reasonably cheap (less than £15 ideally) near there?

Tayyabs for curry as has been suggested. There's a lot of good places just north of where you are, in Shoreditch. Go and drink the in Brewdog there, and eat at MeatMission and let us know if it's good.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yeah I wouldn't mind helping with that either! A list of good coffee places would also be useful.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yeah I'd really recommend the Franco Mana in Chiswick. Not that I've been there but if it's anything like the Brixton one, it's very good - and cheap.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
There's a really nice one next to my workplace called The Association (Creechurch Lane, EC3). Lovely interior, great coffee and all but way overpriced. I do end up going there every now and then but can't justify £2.40 for an Americano every day.

I actually really quite enjoy Pret's £1 black filter coffees, and think Pret are a lot better than any of the actual coffee chains out there.

Oh and no Monmouth mention yet? Their own actual coffee places are really good. But so many places now serve Monmouth coffee but they're very hit and miss.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

Any recommendations for a decent pub around Liverpool street/ Aldgate?

Heading to Marco Pierre Whites steak and alehouse tonight, excited :)
Go to Indo on Whitechapel Road! It's very grimy but pretty great. The Hoop and Grapes is not bad either for a more traditional pub.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

tarbrush posted:

Hi thread,

So my dad is taking me and my sister out for a posh dinner as a Christmas present.

We're looking for something pretty upmarket (my sister is in this for wearing a posh frock as much as the food) that does a good tasting menu in London or Oxford, preferably fairly classical European. As suggestions for "you must go here" or "don't go here"?

Thanks!

How upmarket? The Ledbury does an amazing tasting menu but it's 2 Michelin stars and thus very expensive.
http://www.theledbury.com/Food/Tasting.aspx

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
What would one you recommend as a good place to go for a quick meal before going out in Brixton?
Franco Mana is unfortunately ruled out because I'm going with a celiac friend.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
What are everyone's favourite lunch options in the City? I still haven't really found anything all that exciting.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

peanut- posted:

Can you be more specific about an area? The City is generally brilliant for lunch places though.

Right next to the Gherkin is where I work.
The Japanese Canteen is alright, and there are shitloads of burrito places. But I could really do with some new ideas.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

peanut- posted:

Not part of the city I know that well, but Pardoe & Wood is a nice little place.

Just went there - that was really drat good! Had their African curry and it doesn't taste mass produced, has some great spices in there and comes with a great bread roll. Prices are reasonable, too.

Thanks for all the tips anyway! Will try a few others soon.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

Moving to Uxbridge to study at Brunel, any good places there?
Not really.

Yes it is that simple.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
We're having ours at the Eight Club which will ridiculously swanky with mediocre food.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Snipeo posted:

Does anyone know a good steak restaurant that's walking distance from Clapham Junction station? Only finding mixed reviews on the places I can find from a Google search.

http://www.santamariadelsur.co.uk/ is supposed to be excellent.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Steakandchips posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat near The British Museum?

Not too expensive. Say 10 or 15+ a head?

Wouldn't mind a nice pub or cafe. Not a chain please!

I'd go to Josephine on Charlotte Street - great and and cheap Filipino place, and it's family run.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

The_Doctor posted:

Seconded, it's really good food there. I must go again soon.
Last time I was there.

Me to waiter: This sauce is great, what's in it?
Him, completely deadpan: Crack. Then walks off.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
If you're in Clapham also try the Bread & Roses. It's one of my favourite pubs, the kind you really wouldn't expect in a place like Clapham. The food is pretty decent, too.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
The Bread and Roses actually does do a very decent fish and chips. I'm mostly recommending it because it's a good pub more so than for the amazing food. Anyway, go to St. John or a place like Market for traditional English cuisine.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past
Yeah you are paying for the area and the decor as well. I remember that the one time I went to Lemonia I just got the meze which seemed reasonably priced. Try their sister restaurant across the road next time, it's more reasonably priced I believe.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Tytan posted:

Bodean's looks perfect, thanks guys! I thought it wasn't bookable for some reason, but it looks like they do take bookings for parties of over 8 people, which would be fine for us. Guess I'll give them a call and confirm.

Yes, Bodean's is perfect for a stag do like that. Tower Hill one is a little nicer as Neris said, but might be a bit out of the way depending on where you're going to be drinking that night. The Soho one is just fine too, in that case.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

E-Money posted:

xposting from the England thread:

Where are some good places in London to get good craft brew? I'm here for 5 weeks for work and so far it seems like everyone just drinks peroni or amstel. I'm a big fan of the kernel brewery but it's hard to find it on draught in too many places. Any other good breweries to keep an eye out for? I'm staying and working in EC1, and would love a good daily drinker as well as a few places worth the trek to enjoy.

There are enough beer nerds who are about to read this.
If you're in E1 then Brewdog Shoreditch is very close. I also like Indo near Whitechapel quite a bit.
A bit more of a trek: Camden Town Brewery, Crate, London Fields Brewery, Bricklayer's Arms (Putney), Southampton Arms (Kentish Town) etc. etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
But I lie about my past

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

That's probably the best best. Its a total shithole for miles around Heathrow.

I was thinking train into Ealing but even then there's nothing particularly interesting there for breakfast.