Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

theHUNGERian posted:

I really like this one. Nothing fuzzy about it.

Is this too cliché of a subject? I will play with the depth of field a bit more in the future, but the window of opportunity was really short and I had to bail for work.

I don't know what it is so it's hard to judge whether or not it's cliche. The pattern is strong but the shallow DOF doesn't work here, in my opinion, because the whole image is about the strong vertical lines.

Cafe outside of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

The Golden Temple, Kyoto, Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

theHUNGERian posted:

Is this too cliché of a subject? I will play with the depth of field a bit more in the future, but the window of opportunity was really short and I had to bail for work.

I like it. Agreed on the depth of field comment above. I also think it might work better with the non-uniform bits on the left and right cropped out so that only the shaded section in the middle stands out.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I redid it with a wider DOF and it's definitely better.

TsarAleksi posted:

Where are the people? When I visited, the place was fuckin' packed.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

TsarAleksi posted:

One of the more tasteful processing jobs I've seen on that location. Nicely done. Also yeah, where are all the people? When I went the place was swarming.

---

Not sure whether to go with the photoshopped out power lines or not on this one. Had to hold my camera up over a wall to get this shot!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I like with the power lines. Their perpendicularity to the building and the way they lead the eye to it are pretty cool, I think. They also make that quadrant of the frame more interesting without cluttering it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

I like with the power lines. Their perpendicularity to the building and the way they lead the eye to it are pretty cool, I think. They also make that quadrant of the frame more interesting without cluttering it.

Agreed. They also interact in an interesting way with those jet trails.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

theHUNGERian posted:

You can see some people when you zoom in but most people observe Kinkakuji from that location, so just put the camera up near the pond and voila, no people.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

theHUNGERian posted:

Yeah, I redid it with a wider DOF and it's definitely better.

To my right and left! And there were some in the trees as well but I toned the bright colors down so they blended in and didn’t distract, and took care of the reflections with heal/clone.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

I went to Edinburgh recently and was playing around with some long-exposures.

There's a place called Camera Obscura, a optical illusion museum.

This particular room had mirrors and a series of colored LEDs that slowly shifted around the room. The effect was a series of orderly, colorful dots that gradually moved around the room in slow waves.

I used a 3 second exposure and got some fun ones.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Nigel Tufnel posted:

One of the more tasteful processing jobs I've seen on that location. Nicely done. Also yeah, where are all the people? When I went the place was swarming.

---

Not sure whether to go with the photoshopped out power lines or not on this one. Had to hold my camera up over a wall to get this shot!

I'll be the dissenter and say that I think the one without power lines is better; to me they throw the balance of the image off. I think this is an interesting image (in either version) and there is a lot to look at that is well displayed. I'm a bit unsure about what appears to be added grain; I see the intent but it's a bit too artificial looking I think. Also, you're losing a lot of detail in the shadows, you might try playing with bringing that out to strengthen it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't know enougth to say much other than that this is great.

Tonkatsu by b h, on Flickr

I like the lighting and the postures of the two chefs on the left. I'm not sure about the guy with the cap being so central and blocking the view of the other chef though. I also think the focal plane is maybe 1m to far away, and the lights in front of the clock annoy me.

Untitled by b h, on Flickr

Not terribly exciting but I was satisfied with the colours and the gardening implement on the right makes it marginally more interesting than other photos of flowers I have taken.

Both are SOOC, I tried editing them but didn't think it added anything. Any suggestions appreciated.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2019

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

TsarAleksi posted:

I'll be the dissenter and say that I think the one without power lines is better; to me they throw the balance of the image off. I think this is an interesting image (in either version) and there is a lot to look at that is well displayed. I'm a bit unsure about what appears to be added grain; I see the intent but it's a bit too artificial looking I think. Also, you're losing a lot of detail in the shadows, you might try playing with bringing that out to strengthen it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a big fan of Moriyama and his ilk so I like my blacks super crushed and my images nice and grainy. It has to serve the image though and I'll experiment with pulling it back and see how it looks.

Also obs your shot is amazing.

pointsofdata posted:

Tonkatsu by b h, on Flickr

Untitled by b h, on Flickr

To me the restaurant shot is a snapshot. It's too cluttered and the subject is unclear. I can see you were on the X100 so no zoom available but it would have been better to move / zoom until the chefs were dominating the frame and then waited for that old 'decisive moment' when there was some kind of interaction.

Flower shots aren't my think but I thought this picture on your Flickr could have had potential:

Very moody atmosphere but for me the car in the lower right ruins it and I would have wanted you to get straight on to the buildings with the mountain in the background (I accept this may not have been possible with your fixed focal length).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm a big fan of Moriyama and his ilk so I like my blacks super crushed and my images nice and grainy. It has to serve the image though and I'll experiment with pulling it back and see how it looks.

Also obs your shot is amazing.

To me the restaurant shot is a snapshot. It's too cluttered and the subject is unclear. I can see you were on the X100 so no zoom available but it would have been better to move / zoom until the chefs were dominating the frame and then waited for that old 'decisive moment' when there was some kind of interaction.

Flower shots aren't my think but I thought this picture on your Flickr could have had potential:

Very moody atmosphere but for me the car in the lower right ruins it and I would have wanted you to get straight on to the buildings with the mountain in the background (I accept this may not have been possible with your fixed focal length).

Thanks for the feedback - I agree completely with the problems with the buildings/mountains shop. It looked good in the camera but it definitely needed to have been straighter and possibly from a slightly higher perspective.

cropped by b h, on Flickr

I tried cropping the restaurant one and I agree that being less busy helps, although it does make it more obvious that there isn't actually much of interest happening.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

I tried cropping the restaurant one and I agree that being less busy helps, although it does make it more obvious that there isn't actually much of interest happening.

Yeah something that comes with time is knowing which shots you were excited to take (and so ascribe meaning to) but actually are poor photographs in terms of composition, exposure etc.

God knows I’ve taken, and will continue to take, hundreds of shots where I was excited because the location has hard to get to or I faced a fear and photographed a stranger etc; only to realise that my personal connection to the photo is stopping me from seeing that it isn’t actually a good image.

Few famous photographers talk about their ‘hit rate’ of bad to good photos but I’ve heard pros say that, when doing street for example, they’d be happy with one good shot for every 100 they took.

Look at Cartier-Bresson’s contact sheets. He often took 5-10 photos of one scene to get the perfect single image. You rarely see all the misses that lead to the hit. Only thing you can do is practice! :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was a Scott Kelby lecture on YouTube that's been taken down for some reason that covers this, he basically took the room through photographing a few situations and showing the raw images sooc and going over why they were thrown out and how he adjusted the composition until it became the image he wanted. The shots were nothing spectacular, but it was a good insight into someones approach in a scene, and he admitted that he was committing a cardinal sin by seeing just how bad some of the photos he takes are rather than just the finished piece.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Yeah something that comes with time is knowing which shots you were excited to take (and so ascribe meaning to) but actually are poor photographs in terms of composition, exposure etc.

God knows I’ve taken, and will continue to take, hundreds of shots where I was excited because the location has hard to get to or I faced a fear and photographed a stranger etc; only to realise that my personal connection to the photo is stopping me from seeing that it isn’t actually a good image.

Dig up a decent youtube landscape channel, after a million videos of them talking about walking around for 30 minutes trying to find a perfect composition only to bitch about the light and go home with a picture they hate, you'll start to get better about letting bad shots go.

I still machine gun pictures, not with the hope that one of them turns out, but more like a scouting exercise in case I get a chance to return.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Few famous photographers talk about their ‘hit rate’ of bad to good photos but I’ve heard pros say that, when doing street for example, they’d be happy with one good shot for every 100 they took.

Look at Cartier-Bresson’s contact sheets. He often took 5-10 photos of one scene to get the perfect single image. You rarely see all the misses that lead to the hit. Only thing you can do is practice! :)

Honestly I think for street, 1 out of 100 is probably a generous number, it might easily be a lot less than that, or you can spend all day in some awesome place shooting pictures and have nothing awesome at the end of it no matter how badly you want it to come out and be amazing. And the machine gunning thing is critical, I know I've had a few times where I tried to be conservative and only shoot really special stuff and the result was just getting crap and being disappointed.

The restaurant shot to me seems to have potential in terms of subject but as the other commenters noted, the moment just seems to be missing and it looks like what it is -- a chef in a tonkatsu shop.

Here's one I'm a bit conflicted on in the same vein, I can't tell if I'm suffering from the same issue where I like it for where I was rather than what it is...

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

Thanks for the feedback - I agree completely with the problems with the buildings/mountains shop. It looked good in the camera but it definitely needed to have been straighter and possibly from a slightly higher perspective.

cropped by b h, on Flickr

The wider crop is a much better picture. I don’t think two stressed out chefs in a crowded restaurant is a bad subject in a photo, but two stressed out chefs without context is. The lightning makes them stand out enough that it’s immediately obviously that they are the subject, and the crowd adds a lot of context to the picture.

eternity test fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 1, 2019

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

TsarAleksi posted:

Honestly I think for street, 1 out of 100 is probably a generous number, it might easily be a lot less than that, or you can spend all day in some awesome place shooting pictures and have nothing awesome at the end of it no matter how badly you want it to come out and be amazing. And the machine gunning thing is critical, I know I've had a few times where I tried to be conservative and only shoot really special stuff and the result was just getting crap and being disappointed.

The restaurant shot to me seems to have potential in terms of subject but as the other commenters noted, the moment just seems to be missing and it looks like what it is -- a chef in a tonkatsu shop.

Here's one I'm a bit conflicted on in the same vein, I can't tell if I'm suffering from the same issue where I like it for where I was rather than what it is...

Overall, I like the picture and think it's really good. However, while I really like the framing of the dark corners, it feels too weighted at the bottom and sides, so I think I might it a little more if it were cropped a little bit maybe?

Though, the more that I think about it, maybe the dark slenderman on the right 1/3-line is actually what's distracting me rather than the dark sides. I think that might be what feels off and is drawing my attention to the right

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 2, 2019

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Another bear photo from me. Any criticism appreciated.

TsarAleksi posted:

I can understand how being there in person would give this photo a whole other meaning to you, but this is a great photo on its own. I can practically hear and smell the scene. The wet floors, dark corners, weird piles of "stuff", strange legs dangling over the counter -- it's all pretty atmospheric and makes for a photo that draws you in.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

InternetJunky posted:

Is the background blurred because you had to use a telephoto to get the shot? The out of focus parts on the right and horizon distract from the bear and pull my eyes away from it. I would recommend a tighter crop on the bear but I like the composition, just not the out of focus parts. I'm not sure if there's any way around it but that's my initial reaction. Really cool shot though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd experiment with a panoramic crop. I get the reasons for framing like you did, but it's not working. The zero-detail sky is not doing anything for you.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

InternetJunky posted:

I can understand how being there in person would give this photo a whole other meaning to you, but this is a great photo on its own. I can practically hear and smell the scene. The wet floors, dark corners, weird piles of "stuff", strange legs dangling over the counter -- it's all pretty atmospheric and makes for a photo that draws you in.

Thanks for that comment, I’m glad the impression I liked is carry through. I think I might try a slight crop or other edit as pseudorandom suggested. This shot is from an indoor market in the old city of Ho Chi Minh City (aka Saigon).

I really like the bear here but I think I agree that it should be larger in the frame. At a minimum consider editing out the blob of driftwood in the background, it’s detracting from the negative space quality of the background.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Landscape, please critique.

With panos I have a lot of trouble figuring out where to cut it off, and I have an alternate with a much smaller crop, but then I feel like it's almost claustrophobic compared to the actual view in the location? Most of the interesting shapes/contrasts are over on the right anyways. I wish I could get more space at the bottom but it runs into the tops of some houses which are really distracting.

Agree with all the more panoramic crop statements, but also maybe pull the frame down a bit. The pattern of rocks in the sand is more interesting than the empty sky even with the shallow dof and it would give the bear a little more space.

Sleepytime posted:

Is the background blurred because you had to use a telephoto to get the shot?

local man mauled by bear trying to shoot it with a 50mm f/.95, news at nine

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

xzzy posted:

I'd experiment with a panoramic crop. I get the reasons for framing like you did, but it's not working. The zero-detail sky is not doing anything for you.

TsarAleksi posted:

I really like the bear here but I think I agree that it should be larger in the frame. At a minimum consider editing out the blob of driftwood in the background, it’s detracting from the negative space quality of the background.

Atlatl posted:

Agree with all the more panoramic crop statements, but also maybe pull the frame down a bit. The pattern of rocks in the sand is more interesting than the empty sky even with the shallow dof and it would give the bear a little more space.
Thanks for the feedback. I played around with a closer crop and a 2:1 crop, both which I think are better than the original but I'm finding I need a sliver of sky in there at least otherwise there's no horizon and the slope of the beach makes for a confusing scene.
Tighter crop:

2:1 pano crop with oof driftwood removed

Any preference as to which works better?

Atlatl posted:

Landscape, please critique.

With panos I have a lot of trouble figuring out where to cut it off, and I have an alternate with a much smaller crop, but then I feel like it's almost claustrophobic compared to the actual view in the location? Most of the interesting shapes/contrasts are over on the right anyways. I wish I could get more space at the bottom but it runs into the tops of some houses which are really distracting.
I'm not a fan of your cropped version, and in both shots I feel like there should be more of the right side revealed than there is. That tall building is where my eye goes first which is also probably not what you're after. Rooftops on the bottom of the frame might actually to an interesting foreground element to give a bit of scale to the scene.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I like the first crop, IJ. Looks more intentional.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I played around with a closer crop and a 2:1 crop, both which I think are better than the original but I'm finding I need a sliver of sky in there at least otherwise there's no horizon and the slope of the beach makes for a confusing scene.
Tighter crop:

2:1 pano crop with oof driftwood removed

Any preference as to which works better?

I'm not a fan of your cropped version, and in both shots I feel like there should be more of the right side revealed than there is. That tall building is where my eye goes first which is also probably not what you're after. Rooftops on the bottom of the frame might actually to an interesting foreground element to give a bit of scale to the scene.

I prefer the first. The second doesn’t add anything to the photo and I don’t think justifies that composition. However this is just on my phone - printed or viewed large perhaps the lines in the ground would be interesting enough to go with that crop. I just think the first suits the subject better and there’s not much else to feature in terms of the background.

rio fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 4, 2019

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TsarAleksi posted:

I quite enjoy this shot, I'd even like to see a wider crop ratio where you drop the top most skylight and some of the negative space in the foreground.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Yeast posted:

I quite enjoy this shot, I'd even like to see a wider crop ratio where you drop the top most skylight and some of the negative space in the foreground.

What's this look like with a little bit of the red channel taken out? I'd like to see it like half a stop taken out of it too.

I bought a 35mm 1.4 for my x-h1.

nerdrum fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 1, 2019

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe
Hello all, new to the thread.

I really like the third portrait above. I like her thoughtful expression, and I like the soft tones of the black and white. Portrait photography is far from my strong suit.

I found a Sandhill Crane having a bath the other day and got a few shots I rather like. Here's one:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

whoisjasonk posted:

Hello all, new to the thread.

I really like the third portrait above. I like her thoughtful expression, and I like the soft tones of the black and white. Portrait photography is far from my strong suit.

I found a Sandhill Crane having a bath the other day and got a few shots I rather like. Here's one:

Nice, but do you have more room to recrop to give the bird more space?

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

jarlywarly posted:

Nice, but do you have more room to recrop to give the bird more space?

Thanks! Yeah, I wish. I had nothing left on the left of the frame, so I cropped in the right and top to at least give it *some* semblance of balance. Even if that balance is "no breathing room."

I 100% agree with and appreciate that critique though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

TsarAleksi posted:

I really dig this one, and I think it does a good job of telling a story through the details and the general mood of the shot. The only thing that is slightly bugging me is that it looks like it's really close being a perfectly balanced Kubrick-esque center-framed shot, but it's just slightly off, which sticks out to my brain for some reason.

nerdrum posted:

What's this look like with a little bit of the red channel taken out? I'd like to see it like half a stop taken out of it too.

I bought a 35mm 1.4 for my x-h1.

I like the colors in this one a lot, and the vivid blue adds a nice pop - though it might almost be too vivid? The bokeh on the left draws my attention away from her face, which I think might be happening because the face looks a little flat - the lack of any interesting shadow or highlights makes my eye wander a bit. Maybe some subtle bounced lighting would help? I'm pretty new to this so I have no idea if this is helpful. Still, I like it quite a bit - the overall color, composition, and the shallow depth of field gives it an intimate vibe.

Here's a couple of mine. Not fully happy with either of them, but I can't really put my finger on why.

thestarvingwannabe
Jun 26, 2018

I really enjoy the simplicity of this picture, but the fog is a little disorienting after observing for awhile. Maybe play around with clarity or even contrast?

Here are a few of mine.

Reflections:

I snapped this at the Tenn Aquarium last month. The lights from the exhibit danced across this little guy's shell.

thestarvingwannabe fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 9, 2019

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

whoisjasonk posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I wish. I had nothing left on the left of the frame, so I cropped in the right and top to at least give it *some* semblance of balance. Even if that balance is "no breathing room."

I 100% agree with and appreciate that critique though.

If you have Photoshop, then you can try extending the frame on the left with the crop tool (make sure that content-aware is also selected). I've done that with a couple of shots, and it helped.

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

ZakAce posted:

If you have Photoshop, then you can try extending the frame on the left with the crop tool (make sure that content-aware is also selected). I've done that with a couple of shots, and it helped.
Good idea, yeah. I have a few shots I might be able to stitch into a pano to get some of the background back.
Gonna try that!

Meanwhile, I got to try my hand at motorsport photography for the very first time on Thursday. Tried some unusual-for-me processing. Here are some results:

Formula Mazda

Audi RS5

Audi TT-S

Formula Mazda (again)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I like the color and the abstract feel.

I do not like:
-the handful of lines of orange/red
-the not perfectly vertical lines on the righthand side

I am undecided on the imperfect out of focus circles. They don't bother me too much on the left, but the ones on the right are more bothersome.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
You could desaturate the red/orange bits, other wise I really like it, it provokes a nice cognitive delay between seeing it as purely abstract then actually working out what it is.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

jarlywarly posted:

You could desaturate the red/orange bits, other wise I really like it, it provokes a nice cognitive delay between seeing it as purely abstract then actually working out what it is.

Agreed. I like the red/orange bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

whoisjasonk posted:

Formula Mazda

Audi RS5

Audi TT-S

Formula Mazda (again)

I don't have much to add but I think it's good to experiment and try new things - if you enjoyed it absolutely go back and do more. I think the processing is overdone, especially on the first one. The grass color in the last one looks more natural compared to the first, and I think you can still get the contrast with the green and the red without having the green so intense. If it's overexposed from panning to capture the motion, I'm sure there are ways to compensate for that.