Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You chose a bad thread title. Noone ever needs to ask why Manos should be saved, it's something you just do. You don't need a reason. :colbert:

Congrats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Install Gentoo posted:

You chose a bad thread title. Noone ever needs to ask why Manos should be saved, it's something you just do. You don't need a reason. :colbert:

Yeah, it should have a comma and an exclamation point. Why, I'm saving 'Manos: The Hands of Fate'!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tagline suggestion time!

The Worst Movie of All Time never looked better! (not really the worst IMO, but it's the gold standard for bad)

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
And I thought getting Mike Nelson to quote me in a question thread was awesome. Seriously, though, this project owns bones and I will be in line day one to get my copy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

haineux posted:

Here is the truth: YOU CAN!

Of course, if you have more limited funds, and are not up for decoding the myriad of legal issues, you can restore films from the comfort of your armchair by going to http://afana.org/saveafilm.htm

Note: This is a plug -- for a genuine 501(c)(3) charity, that obtains 16mm academic films, does all the lawyer stuff to make sure they aren't going to get sued, then has the films digitized and uploaded.

Here is an awesome example: http://www.archive.org/details/magnet_laboratory_1959 (directed by my old professor Ricky Leacock)

I have met Geoff Alexander, the impresario/proprietor of The Academic Film Archive of North America, and he's a fine human being. Many other film geeks will also vouch for him and his work. AFANA has amassed a huge library of 16mm educational films over the years.

This is a terrific source. When I get some money, I'm gonna have to put some to work. Maybe Grand Illusion - seems interesting.

I'm also pretty loving jealous that you were taught my Richard Leacock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alan Smithee posted:

Rifftrax live Rifftrax live!
That would be perfect.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would be perfect.

Special Guest Riffer: Joel Hodgson :allears:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That would be lovely.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Late arrival but goddamn I would love to buy a copy of this when it's done. It is one of my favorite films for all it's flaws. The difference in the versions is amazing!

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.
I'll add in that I'd be in for a copy as well. Probably two, as I have a non-goon buddy who'd be all over this.

Awesome find. I'd love to see Rifftrax or Cinematic Titanic work with it. Better yet, some kind of combination, super-group riffing special because it's THAT movie. I can dream.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

and Trace Beaulieu if we're dreaming.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
No love for Frank? Sheesh. No offense to anyone but I always laugh way harder at, and buy every release of, Cinematic Titanic. Let them host the team-up. :)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
It'd be nice if they all agreed to come back and officially do it as Mystery Science Theater again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, it should have a comma and an exclamation point. Why, I'm saving 'Manos: The Hands of Fate'!
I'm not the only one who thought of the old Simpsons joke, did I?

"Works on Commission No Money Down" ---> "Works on Commission? No, Money Down!"

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Ebert just tweeted about this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hahah, awesome to know Ebert appreciates the restoration and preservation of a famously bad movie :)

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

penismightier posted:

Ebert just tweeted about this.

I was just coming to post that. It's pretty awesome watching this gradually explode all over the Web.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pressure's on, Ben Solo- important eyes are watching.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Cinematic Titanic just tweeted about this.

You are a hero to us all Ben Solo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
With Mike Nelson's appearance and Ben Solo's silence since, I hope that means some serious talks with Legend Films have started.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The only problem I see with this is that the film doesn't have a soundtrack. Maybe that other 16mm print does and they can transfer it or something?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Just read about this elsewhere. Good luck, man.

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007
If I'm a shitty poster, tell Silentman0
If there was ever a film for there to be any sort of collaboration/reunion with Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax, this is the film it should be on.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Found out about this through ways of Roger Ebert. Shouldn't all goons have known about this already? Someone needs to get a forums banner ad up for this.

Manos is the ultimate example of the "it's so bad, it's good" film. Like a train wreck, you know you shouldn't like it but you can't help but want to watch it. It's a movie you can't hate, only love.

I will support this project with some Kickstarter bucks when appropriate and the purchase of any eventual Bluray release. Because goddamn, this is awesome!

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Every frame of this movie looks like...

a beautiful HD picture! :swoon:

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Oh my god, this is so awesome. You've got a winning project on your hands. I'm pretty sure it has a much wider appeal than you were thinking. I would definitely like to have a HD copy of what is generally regarded as one of the worst films ever made in my collection (the funny thing is now...from the look of those stills, maybe it's not).

Holy moly! With the MST3k guys involved, I cannot wait to see what might come of this. Bluray with multiple audio tracks...Original MST3k commentary, new rifftracks, extras?

Skeletron fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 1, 2011

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Man, what I wouldn't give to convince my company to do a 3D conversion of this film. I can't stop giggling at seeing an actual Bluray cover that says "Manos: The Hands of Fate, digitally remastered in high definition 3D!"

If a short HD clip ever gets posted in the future after the scanning is complete, I'll probably force the guys here to run it through the conversion process, just to see how it turns out.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

quote:

If there was ever a film for there to be any sort of collaboration/reunion with Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax, this is the film it should be on.

I would hate it if the two groups got into a battle over the film. I definitely have my favorite (CT) and would punch my mother to be able to see them riff the film live, but I think both groups should eventually do it if it's possible.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

JBark posted:

Man, what I wouldn't give to convince my company to do a 3D conversion of this film. I can't stop giggling at seeing an actual Bluray cover that says "Manos: The Hands of Fate, digitally remastered in high definition 3D!"

If a short HD clip ever gets posted in the future after the scanning is complete, I'll probably force the guys here to run it through the conversion process, just to see how it turns out.
If you do, it has to be the shot of Torgo reaching out at the camera while he's greebling over the wife.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Normally I'm dead set against 3D conversion, but this is one case where I would be in favor of it, just for the sake of stupidity.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
This is amazing. The Master approves!

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
I'm looking forward to seeing this. But it might be difficult to watch without joel and the bots. or sober.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Topless Robot posted an article about this this morning.
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/12/beware_manos_the_blu-ray_of_fate.php

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

LP97S posted:

The only problem I see with this is that the film doesn't have a soundtrack. Maybe that other 16mm print does and they can transfer it or something?
Given the quality of the music in the original, you could just record a cat walking on a piano keyboard or something.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Payndz posted:

If you do, it has to be the shot of Torgo reaching out at the camera while he's greebling over the wife.

This?

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Just chipping in to say I'm both jealous and really in awe of what you're doing. You have all my support! I gotta see those KNEES in hi-def!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Allow me to be the millionth person to say "holy poo poo this is amazing take all of my money." The MST3K version of Manos is a treasure most dear to me, and having the opportunity to watch Torgo stumble awkwardly around a car in high definition is far too amazing to pass up.

Also goddamn why has this thread not been stickied over in GBS, yet? I only found out about this while browsing twitter!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Buying a copy even though I don't have a blu-ray player. It would be criminal to not support a project like this.

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009
Satellite News has an update about the other Manos project going on at torgolives.com. Apparently they start filming the sequel they've been talking about forever next week. :airquote:

Anywho...I'm way more interested in this project than some sequel, and I'd love to contribute financially, but sadly that's not an option at this time. I would, however, love to buy a copy on blu-ray to watch when I eventually get one of them new fangled devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Quixotic Pickle posted:

Satellite News has an update about the other Manos project going on at torgolives.com. Apparently they start filming the sequel they've been talking about forever next week. :airquote:

Anywho...I'm way more interested in this project than some sequel, and I'd love to contribute financially, but sadly that's not an option at this time. I would, however, love to buy a copy on blu-ray to watch when I eventually get one of them new fangled devices.

The sequel is sure to suck. They need to leave well enough alone.

• Locked thread