Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

The sequel is sure to suck. They need to leave well enough alone.

Probably suck as much as that Hobgoblins sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Mister Kingdom posted:

The sequel is sure to suck.

I can't help but laugh at this statement.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Quixotic Pickle posted:

Satellite News has an update about the other Manos project going on at torgolives.com. Apparently they start filming the sequel they've been talking about forever next week. :airquote:

Anywho...I'm way more interested in this project than some sequel, and I'd love to contribute financially, but sadly that's not an option at this time. I would, however, love to buy a copy on blu-ray to watch when I eventually get one of them new fangled devices.

I did like the "whatever happened to" update on the actress who played Margaret at least. Sounds like she found quite a bit of success after Manos, which isn't too surprising...

:swoon:

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Sporadic posted:

With Mike Nelson's appearance and Ben Solo's silence since, I hope that means some serious talks with Legend Films have started.

Mike and Bill and I have gotten in touch, but that's all I think I should say at the moment.

penismightier posted:

Ebert just tweeted about this.

This is the least likely part of this whole unlikely project! Wonder if he's seen Manos or if he just knows it by reputation? If only it were still possible to have one of his awesome DVD commentaries- but I guess I can only reread my copy of 'Your Movie Sucks' and dream...

LP97S posted:

The only problem I see with this is that the film doesn't have a soundtrack. Maybe that other 16mm print does and they can transfer it or something?

Exactly, and since it isn't missing any footage at the beginning or ending it's not a bad source at all. Though I do have a lead about where to find a clean soundtrack IF it still exists... not gonna be easy though.

JBark posted:

If a short HD clip ever gets posted in the future after the scanning is complete, I'll probably force the guys here to run it through the conversion process, just to see how it turns out.

Move over, Episode One!

Y-Hat posted:

Pressure's on, Ben Solo- important eyes are watching.

I swear I won't undergo a meltdown before this project is finished like that gentleman who was restoring The Thief and the Cobbler.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Ben Solo posted:

Exactly, and since it isn't missing any footage at the beginning or ending it's not a bad source at all. Though I do have a lead about where to find a clean soundtrack IF it still exists... not gonna be easy though.

This isn't the most practical suggestion, but given how much of the dialog was done in post, maybe you could get a new voice cast?

edit. For clarity, I mean more as an additional bonus feature. I'd like to see this restored as closely as possible to the original.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 2, 2011

-m.
Jul 2, 2007
When I see this post, I hear the haunting Torgo theme in my head. So I hope you find the soundtrack. And 3D for this would be too perfect, although I am a stickler about preserving the original horror first.
I hope I can find some more money to give you for this when you start collecting funding.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maarak posted:

This isn't the most practical suggestion, but given how much of the dialog was done in post, maybe you could get a new voice cast?

That would be a pretty sweet alternate audio track, actually. I makes me interested to see how much a visual and audio cleanup would affect the feel of the movie.

e: And hell, it's not like you're gonna have a hard time finding people willing to voice act for this.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Maarak posted:

:stare:

Please don't do this. What's the point of a restoration if you're just gonna do this?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 2, 2011

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Goon project!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Noxville posted:

Goon project!
I want to be the dog!!!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Maarak posted:

The MASter woUld NOt appROVe.

(That said, a What's Up Tiger Lily?-style total redub could have potential...)

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Maarak posted:

I thought fan dubs were for anime geeks. We're above that, I think.

*silently pets working Tom Servo replica*

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Start taking donations for the project, and then do a fan dub as an additional soundtrack on the DVD/Blu-ray using all the people who made the largest donations.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Brown Moses posted:

Start taking donations for the project, and then do a fan dub as an additional soundtrack on the DVD/Blu-ray using all the people who made the largest donations.

If he is in talks with the Rifftrax guys, he may not need any donations at all, otherwise he is squandering his 15 minutes without having a kickstarter set up yet.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

RagingBoner posted:

he is squandering his 15 minutes without having a kickstarter set up yet.

I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet. I want to contribute. :(

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet. I want to contribute. :(

Mostly because he's probably talking with various groups about restoration funding before deciding to do it himself.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I meant more that it could be a fun bonus thing, I've edited the other post to reflect that.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The guy doing the Manos sequel made this comment in the Satellite News article that was linked a bit earlier:

quote:

on “Manos in HD”. The gentlemen who owns the print and I have spoken at length. Barring any contract bog-downs, I am planning on funding his restoration. And tho he has a “working” print. I have legal possession of the “Originals” (all of them) and I also have 6 canisters of outtakes/edits/bonus mats! I had the idea to restore “Manos” in HD 2 years ago. Jackey Neyman-Jones (Debbie)sent me the link to the guy making “Manos HD”. So, I was like: WTF? (so was Hall Warren’s son, He is tired of everyone raping his dads creation, tho it was his own fault for not copyrighting the film). So, I approached the young man and since he is so passionate about the material, offered to fund the project. To that end, he is more focused on keeping the history alive, whereas I want to do something more. I plan on releasing a “special edition” of “Manos” w/ new footage, sound design, voice acting, edits, soundtrack…all from ideas from Hal Warren himself! (he had told his son of plans to do so). So, there will be an HD version of “Manos” and my “special edition” (for fun… I know this will piss off a lot of peeps, but… relax, lol). I will have cast commentary, interviews, and tons of fun features. Keep in mind, as I’ve said before… I am sharing all my profits w/ the original cast members and (in some cases) their families. I encouraged the young man to do the same… however, I don’t think he shares my vision/ethics in this. That could ultimately be a deal breaker. But, if he prefers to go it alone, I will still pursue this myself. I just prefer us to be working together. After all, I always try to work w/ people who are passionate for the material. Ok. Off to the desert. Peace~ Torgo

So it's possible a kickstarter might not even be necessary, although maybe it's just me, but this guy sounds kind of dickish in his posting.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ballz posted:

The guy doing the Manos sequel made this comment in the Satellite News article that was linked a bit earlier:

So it's possible a kickstarter might not even be necessary, although maybe it's just me, but this guy sounds kind of dickish in his posting.

Ben Solo, you unethical bastard, not giving money to people for no reason when you do all the work!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That guy seems like he'd be the biggest pain in the rear end to work with/for, and comes off as delusionally self-important and domineering about the whole thing. I'd avoid him completely.

I mean, come on, "the young man". You should be so lucky as to work with him, boy!

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 2, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Will the special edition have effects by ILM?

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Ballz posted:

on “Manos in HD”. The gentlemen who owns the print and I have spoken at length. Barring any contract bog-downs, I am planning on funding his restoration. And tho he has a “working” print. I have legal possession of the “Originals” (all of them) and I also have 6 canisters of outtakes/edits/bonus mats! I had the idea to restore “Manos” in HD 2 years ago. Jackey Neyman-Jones (Debbie)sent me the link to the guy making “Manos HD”. So, I was like: WTF? (so was Hall Warren’s son, He is tired of everyone raping his dads creation, tho it was his own fault for not copyrighting the film). So, I approached the young man and since he is so passionate about the material, offered to fund the project. To that end, he is more focused on keeping the history alive, whereas I want to do something more. I plan on releasing a “special edition” of “Manos” w/ new footage, sound design, voice acting, edits, soundtrack…all from ideas from Hal Warren himself! (he had told his son of plans to do so). So, there will be an HD version of “Manos” and my “special edition” (for fun… I know this will piss off a lot of peeps, but… relax, lol). I will have cast commentary, interviews, and tons of fun features. Keep in mind, as I’ve said before… I am sharing all my profits w/ the original cast members and (in some cases) their families. I encouraged the young man to do the same… however, I don’t think he shares my vision/ethics in this. That could ultimately be a deal breaker. But, if he prefers to go it alone, I will still pursue this myself. I just prefer us to be working together. After all, I always try to work w/ people who are passionate for the material. Ok. Off to the desert. Peace~ Torgo

Hmm. This guy (Rupert) has talked to me on the phone a few times but I really don't know where he got these ideas. I distinctly remember telling him that he would have to donate just like everyone else.

He did offer me a :airquote: 'percentage' for compensation though.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

Quote is not edit...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ben Solo posted:

Hmm. This guy (Rupert) has talked to me on the phone a few times but I really don't know where he got these ideas. I distinctly remember telling him that he would have to donate just like everyone else.

Hahaha, delusion confirmed. In his mind, your project is already his project.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I just wanted to say that this project is amazing and I'm willing to give some hard-earned pesos to this and buy the BR once it's available.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ben Solo posted:

If you ever look at actually re-dubbing dialog or otherwise toying with the production audio let me know. I am unfortunately being laid off from my current position as the sound engineer at a production company but I will still have access to their equipment and have been given the blessings of my now former employer to use it for any personal projects as long as it doesn't interfere with any of their productions. ADR, editing, mixing, location recording, the whole shebang.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Ben Solo posted:

Right, so avoid anything this guy does. Got it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's something wonderful about the possibility of dueling Manos restorations. :munch:

You could even say it's... Manos-a-Manos combat! :haw:

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I've got a meeting next week with someone here in Los Angeles that could mean very good things for the future preservation of Manos! It's a person I respect a great deal professionally, and I hope he likes what he sees (no, it's not a celebrity).

Sir Lemming posted:

There's something wonderful about the possibility of dueling Manos restorations. :munch:

Full transparency time: when we were talking a little while back, Rupert and I did manage to agree that we're making two legally distinct projects. He's not interested in maintaining the original 1966 edition after all, but in copyrighting a new Special Edition of the original to supplant the old one, which anyone is legally free to attempt.

Joe Warren, son of Hal, recently signed over the rights to his inherited Manos outtakes to Rupert's Special Edition (although this was sight unseen, and we don't know yet how long his outtakes are or what they consist of) and up till now they were just going to go with a budget HD transfer in Arizona, where Joe is. I did ask the two of them if I could negotiate a good 2k scanning session on their behalf and oversee the digitizing of whatever outtake footage they have, regardless of length, with no rights given or implied. That way I could at least go home satisfied that Joe's unique footage is preserved well. But if he won't bite, I'll have no choice but to drop the idea and end what little association we've had up to this point.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hahaha, delusion confirmed. In his mind, your project is already his project.

While I'm a tad bothered by this, and Rupert's refusal to use my name in association with my work, and his assumption that I'm cool with him using my publicly funded restoration as raw material for his Special Edition, I think this little etiquette problem is best resolved somewhere other than the internet. Assuming he isn't already running around El Paso with his Canon 7D, I'll be giving him a little phone call today.

thunderspanks posted:

If you ever look at actually re-dubbing dialog or otherwise toying with the production audio let me know. I am unfortunately being laid off from my current position as the sound engineer at a production company but I will still have access to their equipment and have been given the blessings of my now former employer to use it for any personal projects as long as it doesn't interfere with any of their productions. ADR, editing, mixing, location recording, the whole shebang.

The first priority would definitely be some audio cleanup on the vintage materials we do have. Any chance you're in Los Angeles? I don't have PM here but if you're on the facebook group, message me.

Brown Moses posted:

This is a beautiful, wonderful idea.

Ben Solo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 2, 2011

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

Sir Lemming posted:

The idea of a manos restoration voiced by WWE Diva's and UFC Fighters just doesn't seem to me as what Hal originally had in mind when he made the movie.

Anyway this is a really cool project and I just wanted to show my support.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Ben Solo posted:

I've got a meeting next week with someone here in Los Angeles that could mean very good things for the future preservation of Manos! It's a person I respect a great deal professionally, and I hope he likes what he sees (no, it's not a celebrity).

Full transparency time: when we were talking a little while back, Rupert and I did manage to agree that we're making two legally distinct projects. He's not interested in maintaining the original 1966 edition after all, but in copyrighting a new Special Edition of the original to supplant the old one, which anyone is legally free to attempt.

Joe Warren, son of Hal, recently signed over the rights to his inherited Manos outtakes to Rupert's Special Edition (although this was sight unseen, and we don't know yet how long his outtakes are or what they consist of) and up till now they were just going to go with a budget HD transfer in Arizona, where Joe is. I did ask the two of them if I could negotiate a good 2k scanning session on their behalf and oversee the digitizing of whatever outtake footage they have, regardless of length, with no rights given or implied. That way I could at least go home satisfied that Joe's unique footage is preserved well. But if he won't bite, I'll have no choice but to drop the idea and end what little association we've had up to this point.

While I'm a tad bothered by this, and Rupert's refusal to use my name in association with my work, and his assumption that I'm cool with him using my publicly funded restoration as raw material for his Special Edition, I think this little etiquette problem is best resolved somewhere other than the internet. Assuming he isn't already running around El Paso with his Canon 7D, I'll be giving him a little phone call today.

The first priority would definitely be some audio cleanup on the vintage materials we do have. Any chance you're in Los Angeles? I don't have PM here but if you're on the facebook group, message me.

This is a beautiful, wonderful idea.

You should really get that kickstarter up ASAP.

Also, I'd buy you Platinum but my wallet is in my pants, and I'm already in bed. Maybe tomorrow.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been following this thread since day one and just wanted to chime in finally and say how magnificent I think it all is, and if you ever put this out on Blu-Ray I will buy a case of them to distribute to everyone I know. Thanks for giving me something to be excited about, Ben Solo.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Ben Solo, I support you and all you stand for!

Don't let this Rupert rear end in a top hat try to bully you on giving him anything, he sounds like a total rear end in a top hat who sounds like he is raping the Manos corpse more than Conrad Brooks been raping Ed Wood's legacy!

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ben Solo, this whole thing has been amazing but I think you deserve commendations for avoiding the temptation of crowdsourcing/Kickstarter/AND IT'S MADE BY A GOON!!111 hoopla and actually pursuing professionals with experience in restoring films.

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.
I really hope this snowballs and brings about a bit of an MST3K reunion. I really, really do. :comeback:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kangal posted:

I really hope this snowballs and brings about a bit of an MST3K reunion. I really, really do. :comeback:

Well you can't really get much better than Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax unless you were extremely invested in Mike or Joel's stories. I gotta know what happens to the bots.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Well you can't really get much better than Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax unless you were extremely invested in Mike or Joel's stories. I gotta know what happens to the bots.

I just want the two teams to come together and work some kind of crazy comedy team-up. Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic Presents: Manos- The Hands Of Fate!

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

quote:

I encouraged the young man to do the same… however, I don’t think he shares my vision/ethics in this.

Good lord...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rupert sounds a bit less condescending in his latest comment on Satellite News (line breaks added by me to preserve sanity):

quote:

Well, time will tell if ManosHD guy and I find enough common ground to work together. I feel we recently had a good chat where both sides were understood. I will retract my statement about funding his restoration as he just informed me he will fund it himself via donations.

We also still disagree on the subject of helping the families of the “Manos” survivors… but then, I have been told by everyone I work with that I am crazy for doing so.

This should by no means demonize ManosHD guys if he chooses not to cut in the “Manos” survivors, etc. He plans on using any profits he makes to perpetuate the restoration process back to film and archiving. That is noble. But, at the end of the day, I just feel sharing the wealth is the way I prefer to go…karma and whatnot.

And I DID offer him percentages for his services on my special edition, and furthermore offered him opportunities moving forward with my sequel. Again, to set the record straight, I think we want the same things… I just prefer not to be competing… rather working together for similar goals.

I think ManosHD is a good kid w/ his heart in the right place… but I also hear the other side… the side of people profiting off of Hal Warren because of his EPIC mistake (public domain, etc). I am working hand in hand with Joe Warren (Hal’s Son) who is the living authority on Hal and explicitly knew his dads wishes and ambitions as to what became of his footage/film. I am here to make those wishes a reality, and to make sure his family is compensated.

Soon, you will here this from Joe himself as he will be the voice of “The Special Edition” project. Joe is an awesome guy (and a former Professional MLB baseball player!). I think ManosHD guy can be of great service to our cause… so, for the record, I hope he joins our team… either way, looks like all of you are in a win-win scenario regardless of how the factions choose to move forward.

Ok, gtg…To El Paso and beyond!!! ~ R

Sometimes words on the Internet can be misconstrued, so I don't want to gang up on this guy over a single snarky message board comment. He sounds much more reasonable in this post, although he does seem pretty hung up on compensating the actors and families from the original movie. But then, he has befriended and is in direct contact with several of them, so from his perspective, I can understand wanting to see them actually get something out of this whole thing aside from cinematic infamy.

I think logically it'd probably be better if he does his sequel/George Lucas special edition thing while Ben Solo goes on his own with his cinematically restored Criterion-quality release. The two are pretty different from one another and can rather easily co-exist side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

"ManosHD guy" is a very professional and not at all condescending way to repeatedly refer to a person.

• Locked thread