Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P78M
Sep 1, 2004

tropical hot dog night
Schlock or not, this is one of those things that just have to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Yes, but you didn't dig it up out of a shallow mob grave in the Mojave desert, so I'm not all that shocked.
Well sure, but it was still pretty hilarious to find one at (secondhand) retail.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Not sure if there was any sort of closed captioning already with the movie, but if you're looking for people to transcribe for this purpose, just let me know!

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し
I for one would love to see this preserved at archive.org eventually.

They actually do their own film scanning now: http://blog.archive.org/2011/06/24/our-newest-addition-film-scanning/

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

This is an incredible find. I could barely watch the movie even WITH the assistance of the Satellite of Love, but if this was restored in this manner, I'd be highly tempted to buy it just to monetarily support this endeavor and try to encourage more like it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

This is totally amazing, and a Kickstarter for support sounds like it could be a great idea, I'd totally contribute.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
Absolutely count me in if this gets off the ground. I'll buy a copy, plus I do vector/image editing if you need that kind of thing. I'm a bad movie connoisseur!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When you get this restored, you should absolutely try contacting the Rifftrax guys by the way. This seems like something they would do one of those live events they do for.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Ben Solo posted:

My gosh.

I had always thought the "last known photo" quality of Manos was what made it creepy, but these stills are really intriguing. I really can't wait to see the difference in the feel of the movie when it is clear enough to see.

For instance, the Hotel Torgo documentary said that the wives' scenes were shot in the middle of the desert, and that, in the scene where the master punishes Torgo, it is revealed that his bed is a pile of sand, neither of these things were at all visible in the current version.

Also, I noticed that your site has an "outtakes" section. How exactly do you define an outtake for this movie?

EDIT: oh wait you talk about the bed of sand thing http://www.manosinhd.com/?p=188

ACRE & EQUAT fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 27, 2011

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

I had always thought the "last known photo" quality of Manos was what made it creepy, but these stills are really intriguing. I really can't wait to see the difference in the feel of the movie when it is clear enough to see.

Hell I have trouble even imagining that Manos looked anything other than murky, even right out of the camera. But here it is, in focus.

What a great find, good to know the news is getting out there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Wow. This is like the movie geek version of a barn car, except instead of a Bugatti it's a Sears Allstate.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
If you decide to do a Kickstarter or something like that, I made a little ad to help garner support for you.

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Also, I noticed that your site has an "outtakes" section. How exactly do you define an outtake for this movie?

I don't intend to be misleading. "Outtake" refers to frames that I can't find an equivalent to in the PD version. There are a few instances where the very beginning or ending of takes have been left in the workprint, and you can see the slate or simply what looks like an idle actor (with 'Manos' it is a little hard to tell).

It's difficult to say how much longer these bits and bobs make the movie without being able to project the workprint, but if no 'corrections' were made by me it could extend the runtime by anywhere from few seconds to a couple of minutes.

Belteshazzar posted:

I for one would love to see this preserved at archive.org eventually.

They actually do their own film scanning now: http://blog.archive.org/2011/06/24/our-newest-addition-film-scanning/

I've been in touch with a good array of film scanning services and am basing my initial budget on an Arriscan 2k workflow- a very good scanner, and some models feature an infrared layer to assist in damage detection. If the fundraiser is more successful than expected, I want to upgrade to a DFT Scanity (which is the Rolls Royce of film scanners and costs twice as much as the Arri).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would certainly chip in a bit for restoration, and some more when you get a finished version out.

This is seriously awesome!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy poo poo this is amazing and you are amazing OP. Point me at a kickstarter or something and I will chip in a bit to help make this a reality.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

So where's the Kickstarter already? There's money burning a hole in my pocket.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

This is a seriously awesome endeavor. I hope it gets a good kickstarter.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
That's absolutely incredible. Manos isn't exactly an unknown film, even if it's known for being terrible in almost all circles. At this point, it has very much become a cult film that almost surely has at least some type of small market for an HD release.

I'll try to put out feelers at work for you to see if the ball can't get rolling a little faster. Even if they won't do it themselves for cheap, maybe I can get one of the guys over at Motion Picture Imaging to point us in a good direction. They'd probably get a kick out of it. Is most of your contact info on your website?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is really damned cool. Like most people, I heard about Manos via MST3K but it's still something that I'd like to see preserved outside of that.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Ben Solo posted:

Every frame looks like someones last known photo...

and put me down as wanting a copy!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I can't help monetarily Ben, but I made a post on my insignificant little tumblr blog, so I hope at least a few more people know about it.

Mike Nelson
Jan 29, 2007
This is incredible. I would be verrry interested to talk to you.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I fully support this and would gladly lend a few of my hard earns English pounds to it,

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
And there's Mr Nelson .......poo poo just got real...

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Hot drat son. Mike Nelson. Sweet.

Put me down for a copy also, I don't even have a blu-ray and probably wont for a couple years.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mike Nelson posted:

And... NOW this is the coolest thing I've seen at CineD.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Mike Nelson posted:

Yesssss! This is freaking awesome. I am really excited about this.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mike Nelson posted:

Hahaha, this is the greatest thing ever.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Mike Nelson posted:

Mike is in on it! Is it sad this post alone has already made my day?

Count me in as well for helping any kind of kickstarter sort of thing.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Mike Nelson posted:

AWW YEAH.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Wow, looking at the visual quality difference of the workprint and the version everyone has seen is just absolutely shocking. Put me down for support on this one if you ever do an HD release. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

soupcan58 posted:

Wow, looking at the visual quality difference of the workprint and the version everyone has seen is just absolutely shocking. Put me down for support on this one if you ever do an HD release. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

That's what happens when you blow it up to 35mm with dubbed audio, shrink it to 16mm, and then convert it to NTSC TV tape.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mike Nelson posted:

Rifftrax live Rifftrax live!

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

LP97S posted:

That's what happens when you blow it up to 35mm with dubbed audio, shrink it to 16mm, and then convert it to NTSC TV tape.

I knew that was the process it would go through (I think that was mentioned in the OP), but it's still surprising to see what those original prints look like.

haineux
May 9, 2003
I eat Clam Pancakes. On purpose.

Wurlitzer posted:

In my wildest dreams, my job is to travel the world and rescue old lost film reels and transfer them to pristine digital copies.
What you found is fascinating and it seem this reel has fallen in the right hands!

Here is the truth: YOU CAN!

Of course, if you have more limited funds, and are not up for decoding the myriad of legal issues, you can restore films from the comfort of your armchair by going to http://afana.org/saveafilm.htm

Note: This is a plug -- for a genuine 501(c)(3) charity, that obtains 16mm academic films, does all the lawyer stuff to make sure they aren't going to get sued, then has the films digitized and uploaded.

Here is an awesome example: http://www.archive.org/details/magnet_laboratory_1959 (directed by my old professor Ricky Leacock)

I have met Geoff Alexander, the impresario/proprietor of The Academic Film Archive of North America, and he's a fine human being. Many other film geeks will also vouch for him and his work. AFANA has amassed a huge library of 16mm educational films over the years.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ben Solo, you are a saint. I don't have much spare money, but I wish you the best of luck anyway. I'd also like a copy on Blu-Ray just so I can say I have one, but I'm not sure if I'll even have a job by the time everything gets together.

AngusOwnsYou
Oct 11, 2007
If I'm a shitty poster, tell Silentman0
This is absolutely amazing, I didn't know collecting reels of film was even a thing but I'm so happy that it is. If there are any audio issues I might be able to lend a hand, I went to school for audio design and production and enjoy restoration projects. Either way count me in for a copy of it.

night_chrono
Dec 10, 2008
My blu-ray player is arriving today, and I see this thread for the first time. Dare I say that this was fate? :frogc00l:

Seriously though, like many others have said I would gladly kick in a few bucks on kickstarter or something.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Have you thought about contacting Cliff at Shout Factory?

I mean no offense to your skills, but Cliff does this for a living (restoring old films) and he has the ability to mass produce and market the thing properly.

I don't know who owns the rights, but you could also think about contacting Bill Lustig at Blue Underground (probably not his thing, but he could steer you in the right direction) or Don at Synapse films.

Then again, maybe you can pull it off yourself, I don't know. Now that Mike N is interested, he'll hopefully steer you in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Holy Shiiiiit, Mike Nelson in the house.

This thread just keeps getting better. I can't wait to possibly own this terrible movie in stunning HD.

• Locked thread