Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

chesh posted:

I would kill a hobo

Mister Kingdom posted:

And I would help you dispose of said hobo.

Isn't this the sort of over-enthusiasm that tends to sink goon projects? Patience, people. Patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Suenteus Po posted:

Isn't this the sort of over-enthusiasm that tends to sink goon projects? Patience, people. Patience.

It's not that much of a goon project, though. Which is why it'll likely work out.

Ben Solo is just doing his thing, pretty wisely so far, and is making progress.

There's not much 'goon' involvement.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's not that much of a goon project, though. Which is why it'll likely work out.

Ben Solo is just doing his thing, pretty wisely so far, and is making progress.

There's not much 'goon' involvement.

I guess you'd call it a real Solo project, huh?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Detective Thompson posted:

I guess you'd call it a real Solo project, huh?

You could, but I'd have to slap you.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Suenteus Po posted:

As was said, it's not really a goon project, just a goon doing a cool thing. And I said I would kill a hobo for a documentary of goon doing said cool thing, not for the cool thing itself. Additionally, I threaten hobos all the time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chesh posted:

Additionally, I threaten hobos all the time.

It's just so drat easy.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Now this is a derail we do not need.

Jigg
Jul 6, 2004

With the quality of that print, it almost looks like it could feel like a prototype for a David Lynch film.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I dunno man you have the chance to rid the world of Manos.
You should do it.

You would be a hero.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

randombattle posted:

I dunno man you have the chance to rid the world of Manos.
You should do it.

You would be a hero.

In this crazy world of ours, Manos is the least of our worries. Now getting rid of Rob Schneider is something we can all get behind.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So I just found this workprint of The Animal...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Rob Schneider IS... THE WORKPRINT!

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
But can Rob Schneider deflect perfectly good bullets with only a stare?

Let's find out.

Jigg posted:

With the quality of that print, it almost looks like it could feel like a prototype for a David Lynch film.

Egbert Souse's comparison to the look of Scorpio Rising is not far off, and the section with the invocation of Manos has that same sort of illicit feel, though I doubt anyone working on Manos had seen it (maybe Tom Neyman?).

If anything, this has made me wish more regional, independent and outsider films from the 60's had survived (in spite of everything) in this condition. Great cinematographers Conrad Hall and William Fraker, for instance, shot the Esperanto language Incubus with William Shatner very early in their careers in 1966, but the only beat-up print that survives has french subtitles permanently burned on. It was nearly lost not because of bad film stock, but because of negligent archiving by distributors.

I can't help but wonder when I shoot something digitally today if anyone will be looking out for its preservation down the road. I think in 50 year's time you'll be seeing a lot of 4k-shot movies that only survive in 1080p because a hard drive failed or an LTO tape wasn't copied in time.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Goodness Gracious.

I can't wait for this.

Also wait: the images somehow got out of focus when they transferred it to 35mm? How does that happen?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Also wait: the images somehow got out of focus when they transferred it to 35mm? How does that happen?
There was at least one more transfer (to video) before MST3K got their hands on it, as that was how they were supplied with movies. Even major studio stuff shot on 35mm ended up looking like a bad 16mm telecine transfer by the time Joel/Mike and the Bots watched it.

Jigg
Jul 6, 2004

Congrats on the NPR interview!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Criterion just tweeted the NPR thing. Big Leagues, dude.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Criterion just tweeted the NPR thing. Big Leagues, dude.

Criterion taking over would be the most awful thing that could happen.

Those fuckers feel the need to make all their releases Region A only :argh:

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Just saw the NPR interview. Yowza awesome!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I just saw the NPR interview and I seriously can't believe that you're not only a goon, but you're a loving FSU film school grad. I'm currently an MFA second year :)

Email Meryl and get this in the Warren Report, seriously!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Criterion taking over would be the most awful thing that could happen.

Those fuckers feel the need to make all their releases Region A only :argh:

You mean region 1? No fuckin way, that's horrible.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Region A is a Blu-ray thing. Us Region B people don't like it much.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

No, Blu-rays have a new region set-up: A/1, B/2, and C/3.

Also, good to see the NPR coverage, definitely the saner of the goons interviewed by them, and the amount of press that can get. I just hope that the sound-transfer from the other 16mm print is decent and that the Son of Manos or whatever people don't go crazy and do something dumb.

Also, I've talked to other people about this and there's an irrational fear that the transfer will get "gooned" up, please don't let this happen.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blodskur posted:

Region A is a Blu-ray thing. Us Region B people don't like it much.

edit: oh for pete's sake, so bad at reading. I still hate DVD/Blu-Ray regions.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 13, 2011

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.

EnsGDT posted:

I just saw the NPR interview and I seriously can't believe that you're not only a goon, but you're a loving FSU film school grad. I'm currently an MFA second year :)

Email Meryl and get this in the Warren Report, seriously!

It made the 11/10 report, but that was a little bit before things took off. I'll be giving her more updates soon.

If you wanna shoot the breeze a little, I'm reachable on facebook.

LP97S posted:

I just hope that the sound-transfer from the other 16mm print is decent and that the Son of Manos or whatever people don't go crazy and do something dumb.

Also, I've talked to other people about this and there's an irrational fear that the transfer will get "gooned" up, please don't let this happen.

I'm not sure I know what "gooned" up means... but it doesn't sound good, so I'll try to avoid it. My reference to how the final product should look is somewhere between the vivid color of the Kenneth Anger transfers and the accurate grain of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Blu. I want that nostalgic reversal film look to stay, since this is not a brand new movie and shouldn't pretend to be one.

Now would probably be a good time to mention that I have been corresponding with Joe Warren, son of Hal Warren, in my search for better sound elements- the material he has in storage might just include what we need. If original audio elements still exist I'll find them, and recent adjustments to my budget should allow me to pay him (up front) for their use.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I love it when a plan comes together.

It would be really cool to see this in theaters. It seems like a good fit for a lot of small indie/cult/mom&pop theaters to show. Any idea what it would take to get a film like this distributed to theaters?

edit: For example these guys in Seattle would probably play it.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
By "goon" it up I was referring to adding some dumb forums joke into the film. I know you wouldn't but I know people who are worried.

mod sassinator posted:

I love it when a plan comes together.

It would be really cool to see this in theaters. It seems like a good fit for a lot of small indie/cult/mom&pop theaters to show. Any idea what it would take to get a film like this distributed to theaters?

edit: For example these guys in Seattle would probably play it.

I'm pretty sure that the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, PA (about 1/2 to hour outside of Philadelphia) would show it. They show MST3K's every two months and I'm sure that Manos would get an audience.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LP97S posted:

By "goon" it up I was referring to adding some dumb forums joke into the film. I know you wouldn't but I know people who are worried.
Torgo is a goon.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I did a double take when I saw this story hit NPR this morning. It's kinda of incredible when you think about how little interest anyone had in Manos when it was made.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mistaya posted:

I did a double take when I saw this story hit NPR this morning. It's kinda of incredible when you think about how little interest anyone had in Manos when it was made.

Well in fairness, I don't think a large amount of the interest in this lies in Manos itself, but more the restoration process, the story behind it, and Manos' strange place in pop culture. I doubt most of the people interested in the NPR story are champing at the bit to sit through the film.

Greasyfries
Apr 7, 2003
not a photographer but an incredible simulation

Ben Solo posted:

Now would probably be a good time to mention that I have been corresponding with Joe Warren, son of Hal Warren, in my search for better sound elements- the material he has in storage might just include what we need. If original audio elements still exist I'll find them, and recent adjustments to my budget should allow me to pay him (up front) for their use.

It would be awesome if he still had the original mag tracks for all the audio; that weird jazzy music deserves to be heard in its original fidelity!

While you're at it, could you confirm with Joe Warren whether or not that Torgo Lives kook actually did end up with the original camera reversal of the film?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

fenix down posted:

Torgo is a goon.

Just because he's a neckbeard with a limp and an inability to talk to women doesn't make him a goon.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
I'm glad that Ben Solo's project is getting all this buzz while that other rear end in a top hat is sitting somewhere crying about how Ben is not in this to help the survivors of Manos.

And it looks like Joe Warren may be helping out with Ben's project more than the "I'm getting MMA and WWE people to redub the movie." guy

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The prospect of reconstructing the soundtrack from the original recordings sounds interesting. A lot of restorations tend to resort to worn prints as a sound source, even when the original negative is used for the picture.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm very interested in this despite (because of?) the fact that I've never seen the film. I'd really appreciate technical details about the process as you go through securing, scanning, and recording the film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Reichstag posted:

I'm very interested in this despite (because of?) the fact that I've never seen the film.

Oh, well here you go! :D

Enjoy!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh, well here you go! :D

Enjoy!

Thanks, but despite loving horrible movies I really hate MST3k/Rifftrax.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Reichstag posted:

Thanks, but despite loving horrible movies I really hate MST3k/Rifftrax.

http://www.archive.org/details/manos_the_hands_of_fate

Quixotic Pickle
Sep 27, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Just because he's a neckbeard with a limp and an inability to talk to women doesn't make him a goon.

Indeed. He may seem like one, but has Torgo paid his tenbux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Quixotic Pickle posted:

Indeed. He may seem like one, but has Torgo paid his tenbux?

The master will not lend me his credit card. [/torgo-patter]

• Locked thread