Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Holy crap.

Like people have already mentioned:

Contact UCLA and Criterion.

Contact Mike Nelson from Rifftrax (and MST3K).

Make this project as publicly known about as you possibly can, because this is absolutely not "just a niche thing that only a few goons would be into." Manos is infamous and a restoration like this is worth a lot to many more people than CineD.

Hell if you wanted to- you could get several grand, easy, on Kickstarter for doing this- and probably much more if you wanted to distribute the film on physical or digital media. Since the film is in Public Domain, and you own a physical copy, you might want to look into what your distribution options are. If you decided to make a BluRay/DVD/Download, you could (and should) be compensated. There's a small company near my parents' house that does all of the DVD stuff and merch for Reefer Madness, which is also Public Domain, and it's by far one of their biggest earners (they specialize in buying up/storing/restoring/distributing PD or very old films and TV shows).

EDIT: I know how predatory a lot of this sounds (basically profiting off of old films) but this sort of stuff takes labor and money put into it, so I wouldn't judge you badly if you wanted to sell copies of the film after.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
OP, I really really want to see you get tons of press, money, and respect for this.

Really, this is like watching a collection of celestial gases condense and form into a star. I'm giddy.

And Roger Ebert would be so all over this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Get enough coverage of this (stumbleupon and any film blogs/sites you might know), do a Kickstarter, and you'll get more than enough people willing to give you sweet, sweet cash to fund your glorious mission.

As for Kickstarter incentives (in relative order of possible value):

-Your sincerest gratitude. ($1 or more)

-Contributor credit (pop their name up on your site or in a "special thanks" section of the DVD. ($5 or more)

-Digital Download of the film in HD. ($10 or more- or maybe less...this is rough, whatever- you haven't paid me for this awesome business advice :rolleyes: )

-A copy of the DVD/Blu Ray when it's made. ($25 or more)

-Stuff signed by Ms. J.N. Jones (like DVD's)- it seems like she's already excited about the project enough to maybe help out in that regard. ($100 or more)

-Lithograph print of a given scene made from the film cell. These are absolutely gorgeous if done right- and are frequently sold as collectors items or bundled in special edition DVD packs (pretty small in that case). I guess you could be cheap and just excise a clip from the digital file and get that lithographed- since that's what they do now anyway- but spring for nice archive stock. ($200 or more)

-"We'll throw a private screening for you and your friends!!!" ($1000 or more).

There. Now hop to it. I'll be expecting my consultant's fee in the mail.:smuggo:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 24, 2011

• Locked thread