Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You chose a bad thread title. Noone ever needs to ask why Manos should be saved, it's something you just do. You don't need a reason. :colbert:

Congrats though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Special Guest Riffer: Joel Hodgson :allears:

That would be lovely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

To be honest, I think it would just be super cool to have everyone together, with or without the MST3K name. I don't need the bots, really. I could just deal with a CT + Rifftrax teamup. If ever there were a film, this would be it.

Mind you, I think this restoration is awesome regardless of any future comedy commentary tracks it may produce.

Joel still owns the Gizmonic name and setting right? A collaboration could be done using that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there a way to donate to a kickstarter "immediately"? I suppose I could buy a gift credit in that amount, use it on the site, and just toss the physical card but I'd have to pay an activation fee then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Two, actually. Guess who played Torgo.

Also who wrote some of the jokes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I think there was even one movie on MST3K that had won an Oscar in its original release too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

micpp posted:

That's true these days, but at the time Manos came out, it was actually the case that you had to put the copyright notice there. Night of the Living Dead had a similar issue with falling out of copyright due to missing the notice.

Well, you could remedy it in those days by recalling the film reels and such, and then rereleasing with the copyright notice. But that wasn't done for either movie.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Possibly Chicken posted:

The craziest is silent films. over 75 percent of movies made before 1927 are lost presumably forever.

This becomes less impressive than it seems at first when you realize a whole bunch of those were very short single reel or less, and often never shown outside the immediate area where they were filmed and first shown.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aleph Null posted:

Honestly, how many films like Nosferatu, Metropolis, or The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari do you think have been lost forever?
For every fifty films of some dude using forced perspective to make his head expand or pepper's ghost or tilting the set to walk on walls, there could be one gem.
Crap... isn't there a well known silent film with no known surviving copies?

Edit: I was thinking of London After Midnight.

That's the thing, not that many, in all likelihood. Both because the 75% tends to include not so great movies, but also because things have the funniest habit of turning up again after a hundred years, you know?

The thing is that before the 20s really, movie making was in the majority slapdash and fly by night as hell, and in the earliest period of films you'd have things that only lasted a few minutes. All together that's a lot of stuff being lost, but much of it would be thoroughly mundane stuff. If you look through collections of what's preserved from then, people could be happy just seeing a short reel of daily life in a neighboring city on a random street corner.

Then there's things like how something that was popular for a while was to make recordings of some vaudeville act, but there would be different people recording the same troupe doing the same act in different cities. You could easily end up with 10 different recordings but only 1 surviving today. And there would be many instances like that, especially where there was only ever one projection print available.

In many ways, you could compare it to how, say, we've probably lost a ton of garage rock recordings by some teenagers over the years. most of them never get anywhere with music, the tape or digital recording might even still exist, but if you weren't in their homeroom you'd never know. Some of them actually go on, to make a name in music and oyu might even hear their first sets played in Timmy's house or whatever. Early movies are kinda like that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yaws posted:

This is an incredibly wrong headed way of looking at it. You have no idea what many of those lost films contained. Because they're lost. No one alive has any memory of them. Even the stuff you described is interesting from a historical perspective.

Every movie, no matter how 'mundane' deserves to be preserved. All those movies/shorts being destroyed is a travesty.

No we do tend to have a pretty good idea of what they would have contained, from the very sources that let us know that there was a movie that was lost to begin with.

Also they usually weren't "destroyed", they tended to be merely forgotten, or filed away somewhere and maybe eventually deteriorated due to sheer lack of knowledge of how to make film that lasts, but that's very different from destroyed. Many might even just be around somewhere, accidentally stored well enough, but heck who's going to bother to go through every possible storage site?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yaws posted:

I mean, we have vague plot descriptions but that's about it. If that's good enough for you than that's a shame.

It is though? Like especially many of the oldest and shortest, they were straight up what they said on the tin, as it were. Yeah it would be nice to see the exact way they played out, but it's not like we know nothing about them at all. People even wrote reviews for many of them, sometimes scripts are available, or drafts for intertitles, if the thing warranted them.

And to be honest, many of them might have just been dropped off at some local library or something similar, and they have it, maybe even copied it to preserve it, but nobody's aware there that other people consider it a lost film.

Yaws posted:

Regarding the destroyed bit: whatever. Plenty were destroyed. My point was it'd be nice if they had been preserved. Many notable directors have films that will never be seen. F. W. Murnau, John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Fritz Lang etc. It sucks. I want to watch those movies.

Well the thing is, you may well see those if you can wait long enough. There's all sorts of things that have been thought to be lost/destroyed forever that turn up eventually.

That covers a much different time period, and much different circumstances. That's not the era of invention of the art to the mid 20s.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Idran posted:

Don't forget all the films that never even made it to VHS in the first place. What is it, something like 50% of all silent films are just gone?

Again that's more because a whole ton of, especially early, silent films were both very short and very restricted in where they were ever showed. Not the sort of thing where it's like "lost because the warehouse went up in smoke 15 years after it was last shown" but more because the film was just straight up disposable, and may not have even been extant anymore after the runs closed.

You can go back through the newspaper records in your city or county's library around the turn of the century and read of tons of movies that were to be shown, and which never come up if you went and study the archives of a neighboring area. Things were super chaotic then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wonder how many films were only ever brought to dead-end formats like RCA's CED, or Cartrivision.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Idran posted:

That's far less likely, though. I can't imagine that there's a significant number of pre-VHS movies whose first home releases were on DVD or Bluray. Only about half of VHS releases themselves were ever brought up to DVD.

There are a whole ton of TV shows at least that made their home video debut in whole or in part on DVD, with either large chunks of the show only being on DVD after earlier selections being on VHS, or just flat out never made it to tape even though they aired before DVD came out.

I would be shocked if there weren't a significant number of straight up movies from before DVDs existed that only showed up on DVD, or which may have only been on a tape format at all in formats used by TV syndication as opposed to true home video formats.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I wouldn't expect it to be as huge as that, largely because that's at least 10s of thousands of movies at minimum. But there certainly would be thousands and that's significant as far as I see things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GoutPatrol posted:

Think about how much local TV from the 50s-80s was just run in their local markets and then taped over again the next week.

Taped over? Buddy tons of it wasn't ever recorded, it was straight up done live, no tapes to erase.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yaws posted:

If you insist on criteria on what should be saved, how about all feature length films? Is that good enough for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtDnqcs786Q

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

A Coleman Francis set would have to be bundled with a coffee cup

And a parking permit.

• Locked thread