Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I felt tangible sadness when Debbie said "Mommy, I'm cold" and then there was just thundering silence where "MY CORE TEMPERATURE'S DROPPED" should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm now too fat for my Manos shirt :argh:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
You know, as mainstream as "so bad it's good" has now become, it's still a trip to actually, honest to god, see the blurb "The worst film ever made! --Entertainment Weekly" on a movie case.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Dubbing is the only thing Manos did the hard way. Films of that era at that level of quaintness where they can't do location sound sometimes take on a cool oneiric quality when the filmmakers avoid having to precisely match their audio to lip sync. Equinox and The Beast of Yucca Flats come to mind immediately. So they do lots of disembodied voiceover on highly visual content, or when you have to do dialogue you cut to the person not talking as much as possible, or do a goofy workaround like conveniently pointing them away from the camera or have them covering their mouth, wearing a mask, etc. But almost every line in Manos is delivered by someone facing the camera. All the potential elegance of a scene just drains away as soon as anyone opens their mouth.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Watching this has confirmed what I suspected all along that the best feature of Manos is the music. Maybe it's just the passage of time that has done it but even the lovely lounge music is strangely functional. Even a modest orchestra would have been way, way too much for anything in the film. A Woman Under the Influence has a similar soundtrack, actually.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
So much has been said about the film by the time this project came around I didn't think there was gonna be anything else really, really revelatory to discover about it, and then on the commentary "It was edited in about four hours" nearly made me :vince: laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

HungryMedusa posted:

Really don't care about The Atomic Brain, but if Ben wants to keep making bad movies beautiful, I will support it via Kickstarter. Am I the first to say restored Torgo is kind of cute? Ugh. I might need to get out more.

My roommate watched it with me and kept saying, "He's hot!" during close-ups of Torgo. I don't understand it myself but whatever floats your boat.

• Locked thread