Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ben Solo posted:

It seems that, in a cost cutting measure, Manos: The Hands of Fate had been shot on 16mm reversal stock and edited using that same stock. From that, a 35mm blow-up internegative had been made and theatrical prints had been produced from that internegative in turn. Audiences at the time would have been watching a copy of a copy, and along the way cheap labwork had cropped the image and compromised the color.

Sorry if this has already been covered but - how is this different from the normal edit process? I kinda figure you'd edit on a safety copy and the actual theatrical prints would be a couple of generations out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Grave $avings posted:

That can't be a true Manos game, something actually happens in it.

I was going to say it seemed too coherent...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I hope you come to Austin because we will definitely be there!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd love for you two to organise a 4k screening down here :D

Would 16mm even benefit much from a 4K transfer? Not that it would hurt but considering that 35mm comes out to about 3.2K I can't imagine 16mm equating to much more than 2K.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Truly amazing. There's just no fixing that rerecording though :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'm surprised how little the mushy audio bothers me; i guess it just feels natural in a B-movie sorta way. That new picture is just so purty.

Oh, I totally agree it's appropriate in context. It's just my audio sperg side saying "AAAG NO IT SHOULD BE BETTER MUST MAKE IT BETTER"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ballz posted:

Ben sent out a lengthy update to Kickstarter backers, most of which was stuff we already knew about here, but he ended it with this important nugget of information:

Now despite what some dorks on the Internet might tell you, the whole goal of the Kickstarter was to restore and preserve Manos in archival quality. Getting a professionally released dvd or blu-ray was always meant to be a bonus for contributing to the project. Getting that 35mm print to the Academy could be the biggest milestone in truly preserving Manos for future generations to... um, experience for themselves.

So kudos all around to everyone involved and who contributed, Ben especially. As someone who's followed this project from page 1 (almost four years ago holy poo poo) and can only imagine the trials and tribulations that must have gone on to get where we are today, I really want to commend you for truly being able to save Manos: The Hands of Fate. :cheers:

Why is 35mm the best method of preservation? Is the media just generally that much better?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Isn't Solovey a Jewish name too? Not that I care, just adds another layer of laughs :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't know if the difficulties are anything specific to the Manos disc - as I understand it Blu Ray on PC has always been dodgy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Not to derail too hard but you username is funnier to me now that I've seen The Force Awakens :v:

e: I love it when dumb people try to sound Officious and Lawyery and just come off like a Nigerian scammer (especially with the caps abuse).

If someone is too dumb and/or cheap to hire a real law office to send legal threats they probably don't have a leg to stand on. Fuckin' patent trolls, man...

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well the term I always heard was patent troll and I think that covers both nicely anyway :v:

• Locked thread