Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Noxville posted:

Goon project!
I want to be the dog!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Will the special edition have effects by ILM?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LP97S posted:

By "goon" it up I was referring to adding some dumb forums joke into the film. I know you wouldn't but I know people who are worried.
Torgo is a goon.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

recon_etc posted:

I'm not really a film person, so could you explain what a "preservation negative" actually is? I mean, I know there's film of a certain size and that the squiggly lines on the side do the sound, but that's about it.

n.b. I also know nothing about regular old film-based handheld photographic cameras, besides "light exposed to film does picture thingy, chemical does bigger picture thingy".
Until the last decade, the majority of movies were filmed and projected in 35mm. 8mm and 16mm are cheaper film stock, and thus were typically associated with home movies and low budget independent movies.

With Manos, the 16mm negative was copied, or transferred, to 35mm to be shown in theaters - but it was done cheaply, resulting in poor quality. When egbert is talking about preservation negative, he means copying the film with the highest possible quality in the most widely used analog format. Blu-ray, as great as it is, still has the limitation of fixed aspect ratio.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The Manos faithful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sporadic posted:

The fact that they are cleaning up a print from a private collector themselves in-house makes me think that Ben and Rifftrax/Legend Films couldn't come to terms (or that this was already in progress for awhile at Legend Films and they didn't need Ben's print)

That sucks.

Ben Solo posted:

The Rifftrax Live events are a big undertaking and must be planned and written far in advance on a very tight schedule. Meanwhile, the Manos restoration has to be rebuilt from the ground up editorially, damage and sound cleaned up, color corrected, and so on. Everyone involved did everything possible to iron out the logistics, but it became clear that our respective timetables for completion would not and could not line up.

Though I'm disappointed the restoration won't be simulcast in all its eye-searing glory live across the country, everybody at Rifftrax was nothing but nice to me and in the end I think it's better that no one had to compromise the quality of their respective work. Mike, Bill, Kevin and company are bringing all their skills to this event and I look forward to watching them to knock it out of the park.

For my part, I'm thinking that if the total running time of the restoration differs from the theatrical in any substantial way, we could work with them to arrange a downloadable version of their Riff that can be played along in the usual fashion. One way or another, we'll make it possible to enjoy the Blu-ray with the guys that got us all fixated on Manos in the first place.

• Locked thread