Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

This is a seriously awesome endeavor. I hope it gets a good kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I really don't understand why it hasn't happened yet. I want to contribute. :(

Mostly because he's probably talking with various groups about restoration funding before deciding to do it himself.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ben Solo posted:

Hmm. This guy (Rupert) has talked to me on the phone a few times but I really don't know where he got these ideas. I distinctly remember telling him that he would have to donate just like everyone else.

He did offer me a :airquote: 'percentage' for compensation though.

Right, so avoid anything this guy does. Got it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Tossing in $100. Long Live Manos.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

All right, Solovey, you've got your money. Now get to work! :whip:

Actually, he won't have the money for 39 days. Kickstarter holds all funds until fundraising is over, regardless if you pass the goal or not.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Oh yeah, this too. Make sure you have that money in your account.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Is there a way to donate to a kickstarter "immediately"? I suppose I could buy a gift credit in that amount, use it on the site, and just toss the physical card but I'd have to pay an activation fee then.

No, the whole point of kickstarter is that it's a risk free funding site. It's not a preorder site or a store. The 40 days are there both for a proper funding time and time for investors to research what they're investing in.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

ufarn posted:

Do you know how much to add to account for shipping? If anything.

shipping should be included.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Homeybeef posted:

So Ben, now that you have more than enough money to do this thing, when can I buy Manos on Bluray from you? And what will it cost? I was unfortunately unable to throw in $50 but I must own this thing.

There is gonna be a wider release it seems but I imagine the details of that are not going to come until months from now.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Gaseous Snake posted:

Is there still a way to donate? I get a "Sorry this project is not live" message.

Kickstarter donations are closed, but he'll have the DVD/Blu Ray available to purchase after.

Also kickstarter authors have a chance to send out a questionnaire to backers, and this is usually used to update addresses before shipping the final project. When I backed Poorcraft back in 2009 I was living elsewhere, but now that it's about to ship I got a survey asking to give a shipping address.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Got my shirt and pin! Looks awesome.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

weekly font posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Manos MST3K episode really isn't that good. It introduced the world to Manos so it will always be in the show's canon but a lot of the riffing is really just "boy this fuckin' movie, eh?" The out of the theater stuff is way better.

The jokes worked at the time because this was most likely the first time anyone has seen a movie that bad. The entire MST3K episode is just a dumbfounded reaction that such a movie even exists.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Anyone going to the SIFF screening on Wednesday?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, but now there's nothing keeping rifftrax from releasing now, right?

Rifftrax likes to keep the live shows held back for a while because they want people to pay to go see them in the theater, not wait for the home release.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ballz posted:

I believe they used the Manos 2 guy's print that he was using for his own restoration/special edition. That, along with the Manos 2 preview in the show, are what lead me to believe held up a DVD/download release of it.

Maybe they're just waiting for Manos 2 to come out. Which I'm not even sure will happen now. There hasn't been a peep about that project in over a year.

Thank god. The worst bad films are the ones that are trying to be bad on purpose. Then on top of that they want to throw in nerd memes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

This is a late report, but I went and saw the Manos restoration screening in Seattle last week! It was amazing. This was my first time watching Manos "raw" without riffing and I was pleasantly surprised that the movie was still watchable to an extent. You guys are going to love this when you get your hands on it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Also, Ben has always been extremely fast to respond to messages sent via Kickstarter. This has been an extremely well managed kickstarter even despite legal challenges.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

At this point the delay is with Synapse.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I guess I'm one of the privileged few who have already seen the final work, but I'm happy to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ballz posted:

A couple of things to consider:

1) Ben specifically cited that page (along with Rupert the Manos 2 guy) as being behind the legal threats he and Synapse had to deal with early on.

2) The Manos outtakes that Rifftrax released a couple of months ago credit the footage from the "Harold P. Warren Trust," which presumably is this guy.

So if this guy did get his legal poo poo together, it's very possible he's giving Ben and/or Synapse further hassle.

All this is just speculation of course, given neither Ben nor Synapse have said a damned thing in months about the discs. :smugjones:

Also, if there is indeed *more* legal poo poo going on, Ben and Synapse can't say a damned thing until it's over. It sucks but that's how legal poo poo goes.

• Locked thread