Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I love stand-up. Throughout my life I have become interested in hundreds of things, and eventually moved on from one thing to another. Stand-up comedy has been one of the few thing that have really stuck with me. This thread is to talk about our favorite comics, discuss the art of comedy, and if you are a comic, feel free to talk about your experiences, trials, and tribulations.
This is a thread to discuss comedians, but please don't just post a bunch of names and a joke or two. Put some effort in.
ALSO! I'd like to use the second post as sort of a NMD location for upcoming specials, albums, shows, etc. So if you have news about such things, post it and I will try my best to keep it up to date.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Placeholder for albums n stuff!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Pro tip: Spotify has a ton of comedy albums on it for free streaming. Off the top of my head, it has every Patton Oswalt album, the Comedy Death-Ray compilation, and, most importantly, greatest comedy album of 2010 My Name is Hannibal by Hannibal Buress. loving love that CD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBgoBjJkxfI

Here's a couple awesome lists of recent comedy albums for those who want to get started:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-comedy-albums-of-the-decade,35403/
http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-comedy-albums-of-2010,49060/

Barrage
Jul 27, 2010
Ugh. I was really hoping this thread was gonna blow up last night, I love stand-up.

Heard Anthony Jeselnik's Shakespeare last night. Hilarious. It's interesting how he builds a persona in 40 minutes that the audience trusts to say anything...without actually revealing anything of himself.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Well this is a bummer. Patrice O'Neal died.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well this is a bummer. Patrice O'Neal died.
This is really terrible and reading Twitter is depressing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Barrage posted:

Heard Anthony Jeselnik's Shakespeare last night. Hilarious. It's interesting how he builds a persona in 40 minutes that the audience trusts to say anything...without actually revealing anything of himself.

I think Jeselnik is hilarious but I'm not a big fan precisely because of this, and I only really appreciate him in small chunks. It makes it harder to really relate and empathize with the comedian as a person when they're 100% facade. I get that's why he's so funny, but I'll never take off work or go out of my way to see him live the way I will with someone like Louie CK or PFT or any of my other favorites.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Anal Tributary posted:

Hannibal Buress.

Thank you so much for this.
Spotify has Christopher Titus' Norman Rockwell Is Bleeding which is probably one of the best stand ups i've ever heard. If you can find the video some where, even better.

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.
There is a PFT channel on Pandora and it's pretty awesome. It has a lot from Impersonal, which is outstanding. I would happily listen to the canned peanut brittle story every day.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

Pro tip: Spotify has a ton of comedy albums on it for free streaming. Off the top of my head, it has every Patton Oswalt album, the Comedy Death-Ray compilation, and, most importantly, greatest comedy album of 2010 My Name is Hannibal by Hannibal Buress. loving love that CD.

Thanks! I've had Spotify for a while and never thought of this.

Anyone else like Al Madrigal? He was hilarious on John Oliver's CC show and Free Agents before it got cancelled.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Thanks! I've had Spotify for a while and never thought of this.

Anyone else like Al Madrigal? He was hilarious on John Oliver's CC show and Free Agents before it got cancelled.
Madrigal has the most pleasant voice in the world.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I really like Al Madrigal. I've got to see him live a few times and he's a brilliant storyteller. Also one of the absolute nicest and friendliest comics I've ever met, unless you're talking in the front row, then he might come choke you.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
In case anybody didn't know, Louis C.K. is releasing his new stand-up special, Live At The Beacon Theater, for $5 on his site (either streaming or download) December 10th.

And, to get us faggots hyped up about it, he released an outtake from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzHzlMneaeQ

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Sporadic posted:

In case anybody didn't know, Louis C.K. is releasing his new stand-up special, Live At The Beacon Theater, for $5 on his site (either streaming or download) December 10th.

And, to get us faggots hyped up about it, he released an outtake from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzHzlMneaeQ

Can't wait.

Louie is really the only comedian I can think of that would bypass HBO/Showtime/Comedy Central as a venue for a new special. I really hope he gets some success out of this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's up and it is awesome.

$5 through Paypal gets you two eight-hour streams and two no-DRM downloads. The download is 720p and 1.2 GB (and it is flying, it maxed out my internet at 2800 kb/s)

quote:

To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

- edit Oh hey, Louis CK WORD Live At Carnegie Hall, coming soon to CD.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 10, 2011

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
AVClub gave it an A. http://www.avclub.com/articles/louis-ck-live-at-the-beacon-theater,66356/

Buy it!

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Just did. Louis is the funniest active stand-up and I love that he's bypassing Comedy Central et al. Wish more comedians would do this.

fartingfool
Aug 30, 2008
I like Louis CK and I just finished watching Live at the Beacon Theater, but I'm concerned about the manufactured controversy surrounding him stealing content from David Cross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFbUQeKplU

Is this bullshit?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Two very prolific comedians with similar sensibilities (who came up around the same time and are probably good friends) making a joke about such a broad premise with different specifics and execution 12 years apart isn't joke stealing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

fartingfool posted:

I like Louis CK and I just finished watching Live at the Beacon Theater, but I'm concerned about the manufactured controversy surrounding him stealing content from David Cross.

Is this bullshit?

Can you not tell by that guy's overacting, wording, and tone that this is a parody video?

As far as the joke goes, it was likely that CK had Cross' joke in the back of his mind somewhere and didn't realize where it came from 12 years previous. Just like the case for most "joke stealing." CK even went into this during the Dane Cook episode of his show where he admitted that it was likely that Cook wasn't even conscious that he "stole" the joke but had instead heard it and didn't remember it as a joke someone else told.

There's a huge difference between this situation (and even the CK/Cook situation which was overblown to begin with) and something like Carlos Mencia.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Can you not tell by that guy's overacting, wording, and tone that this is a parody video?
Honestly, when it comes to crazy assholes on Youtube, I wouldn't count on this as a guiding metric. I'm more convinced it's a joke because why would someone who likes David Cross' comedy harbor such rage and resentment toward Louie CK? Cross has more of a political bent but they're both in what I'd (broadly and subjectively) call the same comedy "genre"

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

fartingfool posted:

Is this bullshit?

Stop posting your stupid videos.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

To be fair, when I watched the Louis special, I immediately thought "This is awfully similar to that David Cross bit". But I didn't think he stole it.

I never thought Dane Cook "stole" those bits from Louis, either. They were simple premises that were not all that close in execution.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I never thought Dane Cook "stole" those bits from Louis, either. They were simple premises that were not all that close in execution.
Maybe you haven't heard them side by side in a while, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDYCZEa4Ms

There's a lot of parallel construction and pacing, especially in the first clip. I'm not convinced he outright stole them but they're a lot closer than the broad shared premise between Louie and Dave's bit, and there's more than one of them.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just watched Louis CK's newest special and I felt bad that I didn't give him more money. I might rebuy it another time just to feel better. That was absolutely phenomenal.

I also love that he continues to completely black out the audience. I really hate when comedy specials cut to some ugly nobody in a crowd mouthing "oh my god". When the comic is interacting with the crowd I completely understand, but more often than not I just want to watch the comedian.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Space_Butler posted:

Just watched Louis CK's newest special and I felt bad that I didn't give him more money. I might rebuy it another time just to feel better. That was absolutely phenomenal.

He recently added a gifting option!

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!
So, Charlie Murphy is going to be at the Irvine Improv this month and I was wondering if he's any good as a stand up. I loved the stories he'd tell on Chappelle's show, but I also remember an incident where he was boo'd off stage at a college somewhere. Any of you guys that have seen him live have an opinion on his act?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Everyone has been booed off a stage at a college. They probably saw Charlie Murphy on the flyer and expected him to just tell his Chappelle Show stories, which is retarded, of course someone's stand-up isn't going to be that. That said, guys like Bill Burr and Neal Brennan think he's a good stand-up, so he can't be awful.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Pretty sure Charlie's DVD special (or one of them, don't know if he has more) are on Netflix streaming, but I haven't watched it.

e: It's called "Charlie Murphy: I Will Not Apologize" and yeah it's still on there.

Howdy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 3, 2012

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I don't think Charlie Murphy's stand up is funny.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
FWIW there are many different brands of stand up, many of which are totally regional. NY VS LA, INSULT VS ALTERNATIVE, LIBERAL VS CONSERVATIVE, BALCK VS WHITE

Also, many stand ups are funnier as actors, or funnier as talking heads, or are better vice-versa, etc. Personally, I think that a stand-up routine/act should only be relevant to the physical room they are playing to. I know that (since Red Foxx IMO) stand up records have been popular but you really need to be loose and/or drunk to really appreciate the jokes. I feel it's a relic that requires a live audienceto be truly appreciated.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

discuss the art of comedy,

I have a few questions about this. What's the right way to write stand-up comedy? I have a friend interested in going to an open mic night to showcase some stand-up comedy. I read what he has written and while it is very funny, I personally don't think it'll translate well to the stage.

They're more like funny blog posts/rants. He go off on an amusing tangent and it just seems to lack a punchline. The tone and subject are funny, but there's not that reward at the end of the joke.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Volume posted:

I have a few questions about this. What's the right way to write stand-up comedy? I have a friend interested in going to an open mic night to showcase some stand-up comedy. I read what he has written and while it is very funny, I personally don't think it'll translate well to the stage.

They're more like funny blog posts/rants. He go off on an amusing tangent and it just seems to lack a punchline. The tone and subject are funny, but there's not that reward at the end of the joke.

If either of you can track down the Talking Funny special that HBO recently aired (with Ricky Gervais, Louis CK, Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld) it's well worth watching (one applicable takeaway to your concerns would be Chris Rock's line about how at the end of the day stand-up needs jokes. "Henny Youngman's got to be involved somewhere"). Three out of the four comedians are well worth listening to. Also, if he's not listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcast he probably should be; Patton Oswalt, Chris Rock and Louis CK all have some pretty good insight from what I remember, and if he's got any more favorite comedians Maron has probably interviewed them.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Holy poo poo this became a totally spergy effort post but gently caress it I'm posting anyway

News:

So Patton Oswalt did a thing: http://barbaragray.tumblr.com/post/15420368620/that-one-time-when-patton-oswalt-was-an-rear end in a top hat

A selection:

quote:

Patton: Excuse me, are you filming me?
Woman: Yes.
Patton: Could you not do that?
Woman: You’re going to want that whole chunk on tape, that was perfect.
Patton: Well I have that whole chunk. I’m working on it for a special and it ruins it if you upload video of it.
Woman: I’ll delete it right now.
Patton: See people do this and they’re being assholes. You don’t realize you’re being an rear end in a top hat but you’re being an rear end in a top hat.
Then the woman left and Oswalt further berated her.

Some quibbling on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/pattonoswalt

And @Andy_Richter joins in:

Oswalt posts a response: http://www.pattonoswalt.com/

A selection:

quote:

You saw me ask the woman, again, to not tape me. And you heard her say, "I'm deleting it now."

But what you didn't see was her say, "I'm deleting it now" with the same, withering smirk I saw in the Crystal Ballroom. In other words, "I'm not deleting this, and gently caress you."

And you didn't see her roll her eyes at her two friends, who rolled their eyes back, and nodded in agreement when she mouthed, "What an rear end in a top hat."

Views:

Meh. These comments on his FB status sums up my thoughts pretty well:

quote:

I've said this elsewhere already, but for me the issue isn't the videotaping or Patton's reaction. None of us were there and Babs was, and if she really had such a huge problem with Patton's reaction, she should have said something to him, either directly or via email, like an adult. Instead, she decided to air her side of the story via a blog for every jackoff on the internet to form a knee-jerk reaction to and force Patton into a position where he has to defend himself, lest everyone write him off as a evil mean famous guy, and anything he does say in his own defense will just be ignored by those who want to tear him down because he's famous and maybe was a bit of a jerk while in a state of anger. I think it's really an unfair position to put him in and blows an isolated incident into a manufactured Big Issue, but the internet would probably cease to exist if people didn't do that, I guess.

quote:

Sufi: Even if he isn't a good dude, it's not really any of our concerns. He's a comedian, not the loving Pope. I don't expect him to be superhuman and never lash out at someone in anger, and if I'm someone who is his colleague by virtue of being a fellow comedian and I see him do that, I'm not going to scurry off and post a god drat blog about it so lots of strangers on the internet can form knee-jerk opinions about it, I'm either going to confront him about it person to person or I'm going to just avoid him if I think it's not going to change. Posting a blog about it instead seems like grandstanding to me.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I was wondering when this was gonna show up in the thread.

Totally on Patton's side here, and was even when Barbara Gray made him sound like a frothing ogre. I can't loving stand people that instinctively whip out phones in comedy clubs, and who defend this behavior with "Im helping them go viral" and other such garbage. Comedians who WANT their material posted on YouTube can do it themselves. They can bring a friend to record their act at a good angle (instead of a shakey, blurry recording from a dozen rows back), or ask someone who works at the place to do it for them. It's common courtesy to not record stuff.

Along those lines, I saw some jackoff replying to Patton about fair use and public performances and how if there wasn't a "no filming" sign then she could legally blah blah blah. THESE are the people who tend to engage in this behavior: people who have to spend 10 minutes citing legal precedents to justify what they do. Genuine, grade-a pieces of garbage.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
So a comedian threw a hissy fit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space_Butler posted:

I was wondering when this was gonna show up in the thread.

Likewise.

Dave Anthony created this brilliant thing

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Space_Butler posted:

Along those lines, I saw some jackoff replying to Patton about fair use and public performances and how if there wasn't a "no filming" sign then she could legally blah blah blah. THESE are the people who tend to engage in this behavior: people who have to spend 10 minutes citing legal precedents to justify what they do. Genuine, grade-a pieces of garbage.

These are the sort of people who read something law-related on the internet once, usually got it wrong, and nonetheless think they're legal experts somehow. I don't blame Patton for taking assholes like these down forcefully.

Edit:

FitFortDanga posted:

Likewise.

That was indeed pretty brilliant.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 7, 2012

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FitFortDanga posted:

This is loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

ibntumart posted:

These are the sort of people who read something law-related on the internet once, usually got it wrong, and nonetheless think they're legal experts somehow. I don't blame Patton for taking assholes like these down forcefully.

They're also the sort of people who will act like giant assholes simply because there's no rule or law against it; they won't act like human beings unless they're forced to.

I came in to post the Dave Anthony thing, and it says it all.