Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah Mulaney isn’t wrong that substance abuse makes him hilarious. It’s such a shame as he looked like someone who made it to the other side and escaped his demons.

Yeah, I was finally getting to a point where I was actively working on my sobriety and having John talk about having a drinking problem and being sober in "New in Town" was one of those like "Oh, I can be sober AND creative/funny" realizations.

And a lot of these guys are just carrying around some amount of darkness. Think of Harris Wittels. Super funny dude, but clearly had these gaps in his self that he couldn't fill.

I hope he finds peace and joy. Even if he ends up giving up comedy for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

He adopted a kitten about two months ago. Now his livestreams mostly consist of following the cat around the house and yelling its name.

Oh yeah, I forgot that he also lost two cats roughly that year, as well. Glad to hear he got a new buddy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boywhiz88 posted:

And a lot of these guys are just carrying around some amount of darkness. Think of Harris Wittels. Super funny dude, but clearly had these gaps in his self that he couldn't fill.

Yeah the Harris thing is tragic, from memory while he messed about with drugs recreationally in the past, he didn’t mess with opioids until he was prescribed them which sent him down a fatal path.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the Harris thing is tragic, from memory while he messed about with drugs recreationally in the past, he didn’t mess with opioids until he was prescribed them which sent him down a fatal path.

In his 2nd appearance on You Made It Weird, he says he sorta messed around with pills here and there but that it was a relationship situation that really put him over the edge into loving with heroin. The story of him trying to score 2 or 3 times in the park is so tragically funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve always meant to listen to that episode, I’ll have to queue it up. Thanks for the reminder.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve always meant to listen to that episode, I’ll have to queue it up. Thanks for the reminder.

It's a good episode, but really depressing at parts too particularly when he talks about nearly dying from an overdose and getting clean and obviously knowing how that went.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/tony-hinchcliffe-dropped-by-agents-after-using-asian-slur/

Lol, don't know why as I've never seen any of his set, but I never liked this guy

Ari posted both sets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XizKz6y0LU

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 14, 2021

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Harminoff posted:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/tony-hinchcliffe-dropped-by-agents-after-using-asian-slur/

Lol, don't know why as I've never seen any of his set, but I never liked this guy

Ari posted both sets

Why does he stand like that? It's real weird.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Love that loving essay in the description.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Ari is a scumbag so it’s little surprise where he stands on this

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
By far the most depressing but most expected thing coming out of the Hinchcliffe stuff is people defending him saying "you need the context of the previous set and his entire set." The argument being that Peng was doing some "lazy" race related humor so this was Tony just busting his balls and the crowd about laughing about that stuff. Which of course, I don't buy for a second so gently caress that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I think it's more of the previous comic saying "just be nice to Asians" and Tony going in the exact opposite direction for "comedic" effect.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Harminoff posted:

I think it's more of the previous comic saying "just be nice to Asians" and Tony going in the exact opposite direction for "comedic" effect.

Ah, the toddler mindset

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Harminoff posted:

That is what Tony is doing but I'm saying I saw a ton of comments online defending him saying "If Peng is going do race humor Tony is just doing it too." Its insane.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Paul Mooney has passed away.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bo Burnham special is out now!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Bo Burnham special is out now!

And is quite good! Not my favorite of his, but I think it's pretty great, considering the constraints

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

White Women Instagram is fantastic

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Tom Papa is kind of Jim Gaffigan-esque. I got my wife into him, and I'm going to try to plan a weekend trip to see him on tour in beautiful, beachside Clearwater, FL, in February 2022.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like the East Coast comedy scene is absolutely thriving right now and the West Coast comedy scene has essentially collapsed under the weight of perverted hubris and weird clan-cult bullshit, and the new Texas comedy scene honestly feels dead on arrival as fewer and fewer people are making their way into Joe Rogan’s clique so now it’s just, like, Tim Dillon standing outside of the Rogan Spotify mansion trying to jump the fence…

Anyone here listen to The Bonfire? They shave the best clips from every day and upload them as a podcast, and it’s pretty standard 90’s style morning show that’s a bit raunchy but otherwise pretty funny. Dan & Jay both have off days but the chemistry is there and their whole production team is really funny.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw them do a bit on some long rear end charity stream last year and they were right at the end, pissed at their placement and just ripping the poo poo out of everyone before them. Was pretty fun.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I love all of Burnham specials but this could be his greatest work but at same time mental health wise I don't think I can watch this again and again like all his other specials

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 2, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That Funny Feeling is basically a Mountain Goats song. and not the fun or sardonic Mountain Goats. more like “Get Lonely” Mountain Goats

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.avclub.com/katt-williams-thoughtfully-disassembles-cancel-culture-1847040238

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

That's one hell of a clickbait headline when what he said is

quote:

“If you want to offend somebody, nobody took those words away from you… Look, if these are the confines that keep you from doing the craft God put you to, then it probably ain’t for you.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Katt Williams is seriously one of the 50 funniest people in human history

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He's Larry the Cable Guy for black people.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yes!

https://twitter.com/boburnham/status/1402309466792480768?s=20

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like the East Coast comedy scene is absolutely thriving right now and the West Coast comedy scene has essentially collapsed under the weight of perverted hubris and weird clan-cult bullshit, and the new Texas comedy scene honestly feels dead on arrival as fewer and fewer people are making their way into Joe Rogan’s clique so now it’s just, like, Tim Dillon standing outside of the Rogan Spotify mansion trying to jump the fence…

How much time have you spent in LA, NYC, and Austin between 2019 - 2021?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WerthersWay posted:

How much time have you spent in LA, NYC, and Austin between 2019 - 2021?

Everything is 100% online now dude, all of this is happening on Twitter and YouTube and on podcasts, it’s not obfuscated in anyway and you can find any number of people or programs discussing it openly. You don’t need to live in a place to know what’s going on in the scene if you’re plugged in, especially during COVID.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bust Rodd posted:

Everything is 100% online now dude, all of this is happening on Twitter and YouTube and on podcasts, it’s not obfuscated in anyway and you can find any number of people or programs discussing it openly. You don’t need to live in a place to know what’s going on in the scene if you’re plugged in, especially during COVID.

Okay so you live in Cleveland.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Okay so you live in Cleveland.

In his defense, it's common to deny or omit this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m from NY, it loving SUCKS there!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m from NY, it loving SUCKS there!

Bbbut the stuff from The Stand in 2018 in amazing!

[/quote]
Jesus, a great 10 followed by some poo poo that’s above average for a dunk rear end in a top hat in an airport bar.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Been thinking a lot about Greg Giraldo recently and how growing up in the 90’s I think we saw the beginning of the transition from what stand-up was to what stand-up is. I remember watching 30 minute specials and stand up spots and even at the age of like 9-12, I knew that Greg was just funnier than anyone else on TV except for Hedberg.

I dunno who this DJ is but I had this weird “song” with Greg’s bits on it and I would just play this all the time and even threw it on a couple mix cds for some friends. It was one of the very first songs I downloaded on to my iPod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahlWufJqcSQ

RIP to a Patrice level goat, TBH, and a comedian beloved by everyone who knew him :unsmith:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Rogan and his crew suck balls. It’s a hard truth.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Gramps posted:

It's worse than that man! I think anyone with a modicum of success has a minimum of least two!

Just off the top of my head:
Tom Segura: 3
Bert Kreischer: 3
Bill Burr: 3
Bobby Lee: 2
Andrew Santino: 2
Christina P: 3
Dave Stone: 2
I think that's becoming the norm these days. It's flat out too much content to try and keep up with, so just enjoy the glut of chuckles I guess.

Everyone who reads this thread should post their favorite comedy pod and maybe a little blurb about it. I'm always looking for more.

Mine's The Boogie Monster which I'm sure most of you are familiar with. Quick Elevator pitch: Kyle Kinane and Dave Stone do a show about the paranormal and conspiracies, which usually ends up being more about food and wild Dave stories. It's the loving best.

gently caress yeah! Thanks for the heads up on the Kyle Kinane podcast! He's one of my favs.

Favorite comedy podcasts: (podcasts by comedians)

Timesuck: Dan Cummins

Researched to the best of his ability, Dan discusses conspiracy theories, historical events, and serial killers, among a ton of other subjects, usually voted on by listeners. Learn some poo poo, and laugh while doing it!

Middle of Somewhere: Chad Daniels and Cy Amundsen

Just friends having a chat about their lives, their careers, with an occasional guest. It's really chill and very funny. There aren't any segments, it's just friends laughing together and it's great.

Dan has a few other podcasts as well. One with his wife Lindsay called Scared to Death where they read user submitted and internet found spooky stories. It's a cozy and funny show that's also on YouTube due to visual elements. My wife absolutely loves this one. It's good for a rainy night to get comfy with snacks and get spooked.

He also has one called Is We Dumb with his producer (?) Where they talk about dumb poo poo they find on the internet. They just riff about dumb products and websites. Has a bit of a "look what I saw on YouTube dad" vibe to it.

Matt Braunger has a podcast called This Might Help I've been meaning to listen to, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Notable comedians I find hilarious:

Nate Bargatze
Cy Amundsen
Chris Porter
Tommy Johnagen
Illiza Schlesinger
Andy Woodhull
Roy Wood Jr
Tig Notaro
Matt Braunger
Pete Holmes
Owen Benjamin
Gary Gullman
Shane Torres

There are so many more, but I'm sure you're all familiar with them as they are extremely famous.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 19, 2021

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There's a podcast, its title is a liiiiiiiittle spicy, though. Not for the weak of will. It's called Cum Town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
*thousand island stare*