Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I can't even tell what point (if any) he's trying to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
He's saying that media and entertainment is a circus act interested in smoke and mirrors instead of being used as a platform to inform the masses. The thing they like doing right now is pitting a group against another to drive views through outrage.

It's kind of sad how no one listened to what he had to say instead of piling on him, the posters here are usually so nice and open to different point of views.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 16, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's because he delivered his point like a divorced dad ranting at a Wendy's cashier

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Impermanent posted:

It's because he delivered his point like a divorced dad ranting at a Wendy's cashier

That's a very polite and empathetic way of putting it sir. I tip my hat to you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Odddzy posted:

He's saying that media and entertainment is a circus act interested in smoke and mirrors instead of being used as a platform to inform the masses. The thing they like doing right now is pitting a group against another to drive views through outrage.

It's kind of sad how no one listened to what he had to say instead of piling on him, the posters here are usually so nice and open to different point of views.

he's the goat man, nobody gives a poo poo about what he thinks

also the 'different views' he seems most worried about are 'the vaccine is bad' and 'not getting the plague is mental terrorism to me'.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Odddzy posted:

It was conceivably the unfunniest way he could have made that point, or any point

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

d0grent posted:

It was conceivably the unfunniest way he could have made that point, or any point

He wasn't funny, but I think people here should at least try being funnier than Mohr if they want to be allowed to poo poo on him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can we get a check up on Harland Williams?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

d0grent posted:

He's [edit: Bruer, but sure, both] either being an actual shithead, or doing that thing where someone's leaning so hard into being "ironic" that it actually doesn't matter if they're not serious because the end result is identical.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 17, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Laurie Killmartins newest stand up album is really really good/brutal

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

He's either being an actual shithead, or doing that thing where someone's leaning so hard into being "ironic" that it actually doesn't matter if they're not serious because the end result is identical.

Jim Breuer or Odddzy?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DangerDummy! posted:

Jim Breuer or Odddzy?

I'm calling the people that write the poo poo below "nice" people and you can't tell if i'm being ironic?

quote:

quote:

it's literally the 'cool, we broke his brain' meme but instead of Bart it's just years of everyone just kinda forgetting he existed.

quote:

That guy looks like the personification of a dry alcoholic.

quote:

His other hand is not visible because the whole time he was jacking it to how wise he is.

Really nice people in here.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

You would think the stand up comedy thread on a comedy website would be cool and good and awesome but here we are. Fuuuuck.

Rerail- Josh Wolf put up his new special for freesies and it's pretty goddamn funny. More comedy music than I usually go for but hes so goofy it kinda works. Very much a live show vibe.

Shane Gillis' Live in Austin special on Youtube absolute slays too.

We're living in a loving golden age of comedy right now with people being able to release their own specials and captain their own destinies thanks to podcasting. More good poo poo coming too- Braunger just recorded his next special, and I believe Segura and Burr have new hours in the pipeline as well.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Odddzy posted:

He wasn't funny, but I think people here should at least try being funnier than Mohr if they want to be allowed to poo poo on him.

dude he's goat boy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Riptor posted:

dude he's goat boy

he's not even the goat man we all remember and enjoy seeing!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there's two goat men, one's a huge gaping rear end in a top hat that seems like he's doing some real harm to himself and the other is at least apparently married.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Gramps posted:

You would think the stand up comedy thread on a comedy website would be cool and good and awesome but here we are. Fuuuuck.

Rerail- Josh Wolf put up his new special for freesies and it's pretty goddamn funny. More comedy music than I usually go for but hes so goofy it kinda works. Very much a live show vibe.

Shane Gillis' Live in Austin special on Youtube absolute slays too.

We're living in a loving golden age of comedy right now with people being able to release their own specials and captain their own destinies thanks to podcasting. More good poo poo coming too- Braunger just recorded his next special, and I believe Segura and Burr have new hours in the pipeline as well.

I agree, there's a lot of good stuff coming out. I haven't gone through all of Shane's special but it's funny and nuanced in comparison to his cohorts in Luis Gomez's crew.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The world of stand-up comedy, noted for being chill and nice.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm just weirded out by how much he looks like Peter Capaldi now.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Laterite posted:

The world of stand-up comedy, noted for being chill and nice.

Are you a standup?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh sweet this is the "do you even lift/train" part of the thread

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Just lmao if you don't know that the people more relentlessly critical of stand up comedians than goons are other stand ups. If you do stand up and no one has spent over an hour talking about how one specific guy in your area is full of poo poo it's either because they don't trust you or you're the guy.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Impermanent posted:

Just lmao if you don't know that the people more relentlessly critical of stand up comedians than goons are other stand ups. If you do stand up and no one has spent over an hour talking about how one specific guy in your area is full of poo poo it's either because they don't trust you or you're the guy.

I will be honest with you. It's incredible how you can't see that I'm being ironic. I understand standups are oftentimes sensitive people that can have substance abuse issues and are driven by the need to be recognized by the public and take it especially harshly when they fall out of favor with the crowd instead of another coming they consider "inferior".

The point I'm trying very hard to communicate with you is that some "experts" in this very thread kind of give themselves a license to poo poo on standups because they consumed a bunch of their material but they themselves haven't put their money where their mouth is and never actually tried to perform. Therefore, they have a bunch of opinions but they know very little about the craft and how hard it actually is. They don't understand the process of making standup material. They also don't understand that a good standup is allowed to say things that shock the public as a premise so that the performer can then play with the presentation of their point of view and surprise the audience. Instead, you have a bunch of people, in this very thread, that base their whole opinions on a standup based on if they agree with his or her opinions. Because of this arrogant behavior, you have a bunch of "nice" people in here that can talk all that poo poo and dress up their horrible comments as "jokes" but can't write a good setup and punchline. I should know, I tried and my jokes are horrible. but I know enough to know the jokes I read here are also terrible.

For those interested in talking about how the sausage is made, and also to change the subject, what are some good books on the subject of joke writing and wordplay? joke encyclopedias? Must reads? I'm a big fan of Norm Macdonald and he mentioned that his inspiration were books written by novelists like Mark Twain or Flann O'brien (real name Brian O'Nolan). Are there some that people here have read they'd like to recommend?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh it was a meta post. Those are loving fun and not tedious at all.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Please keep your opinions on meta posts to yourself unless you have a PROVEN record of meta posting to validate them.

A book about comedy that I quite enjoyed (talking about the craft, the work, and the job itself more than joke writing although that is obviously part of it) is How I Escaped My Certain Fate by Stewart Lee. It's kind of a chronicle of an English alternative comic's career but the main narrative arc leads up to his plan to get people to laugh at the most offensive imaginary scene he can possibly come up with. He's the guy who co-wrote the Jerry Springer opera that was banned in Britain for being too shocking and he was looking for something to do after that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Reminder that this was all because people were being mean to Goat boy

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

greazeball posted:

Please keep your opinions on meta posts to yourself unless you have a PROVEN record of meta posting to validate them.

I don't know what the word "meta" means, maybe it's the new popular word because people see it plastered all over their social media now. I just think that if you want to poo poo on someone because you think he isn't funny, you'd better make sure what you're saying is funny in comparison or else, to me, that's just evidence you suck.

greazeball posted:

A book about comedy that I quite enjoyed (talking about the craft, the work, and the job itself more than joke writing although that is obviously part of it) is How I Escaped My Certain Fate by Stewart Lee. It's kind of a chronicle of an English alternative comic's career but the main narrative arc leads up to his plan to get people to laugh at the most offensive imaginary scene he can possibly come up with. He's the guy who co-wrote the Jerry Springer opera that was banned in Britain for being too shocking and he was looking for something to do after that.

I'll check it out, I remember seeing that guy in some british talkshow. The synopsis sounds interesting.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 17, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You see I was being ironic, therefore I was the puppetmaster all along, and furthermore

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I don't know what the word "meta" means

When you post about posting that is a meta post. Meta is anything that is self-referential. hth.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Gramps posted:

When you post about posting that is a meta post. Meta is anything that is self-referential. hth.

You are right, I was criticizing the critics so I was being meta. Thank you for the explanation.

Frankly, it's just that reading this thread, I often see people posting about what comics are good and which ones are bad. That's fine in a thread discussing standup but those comments are constantly filtered through the poster's opinion of the performer's personal life and opinions on his politics instead of based on his material. Some people might hate "meta" conversations like these, as evidenced by all the witty quips I've forced myself to answer, but the alternative is just mentioning a bunch of names constantly based on if a standup is in the newscycle and consuming their media with little to no thought as to what makes the material good or bad.
To better illustrate my point of view, if I go to a restaurant and judge the quality of the food based on if it was made by an alcoholic, everyone would agree I'm being absurd. I should rate the food based on if it's good and I should judge the material on if it's good.

It might be tedious to read about people complaining like I did, but there should be some self-reflection coming from those I'm talking about too. That's just my honest opinion.

sticklefifer posted:

You see I was being ironic, therefore I was the puppetmaster all along, and furthermore

The correct term is that I was being sarcastic and furthermore, you are being hack.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Not everyone is the same. Some people can separate the art from the artist, some people can't. I tend to be in the former category unless the artist is particularly heinous. Don't expect everyone's brain to work the same way yours does.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Gramps posted:

Not everyone is the same. Some people can separate the art from the artist, some people can't. I tend to be in the former category unless the artist is particularly heinous. Don't expect everyone's brain to work the same way yours does.

I wasn't assuming, I just think the conversation is stacked one way is all.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I wasn't assuming, I just think the conversation is stacked one way is all.

I tend to agree, I just don't feel like getting into a pissing match on the internet when I could be chuckling at funny poo poo.

All I will say is- people are not perfect, and if you expect them to be you'll be sorely disappointed. Comics in particular tend to be pretty flawed people. I think we should hold the truly lovely ones accountable and not support them, but go ahead and like what you like. Just don't expect to change anyone else's mind or feel the same way you do.

As for the current pissing match, roasting Jim Breuer for being a completely incoherent, unfunny, pandering tit is a totally valid criticism so uhhh I don't really get what touched this whole thing off.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Well, I think Jim Breuer is specifically rubbing me the wrong way because I did not find his actual stand up funny and that video posted felt like he was trying to walk a line where he can say he's not on either side, he's just commenting on society. It feels very grifty, like he just wants an audience but he doesn't care what message he's actually amplifying.

So I guess I could have said that initially but it was easier to call him a jack off. I guess that was pretty hack but I get paid the same either way.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I agree with both of you on that, truly. It was a rough listen.

I recently found out that Spotify has a huge amount of standup albums on it with a TON of Redd Foxx comedy albums that i'll probably try and work my way through slowly. Are there favorites you people have from a comic?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00mjwYBT_4Q

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Odddzy posted:

I agree with both of you on that, truly. It was a rough listen.

I recently found out that Spotify has a huge amount of standup albums on it with a TON of Redd Foxx comedy albums that i'll probably try and work my way through slowly. Are there favorites you people have from a comic?

Stewart Lee was mentioned above. It was a DVD rather than an album but if they have the audio for Carpet Remnant World on there it's one of my favorites.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Odddzy posted:

Are you a standup?

I am. My name is Jim Breuer and I AM NOT A SHEEP

I am a goat however

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
It's so hard to pick specific albums but I don't think you can go wrong with Kyle Kinane. I really like David Cross' "Shut up you loving baby" but it's a nostalgia thing, I don't think it aged well. Hannibal Buress' "My Name is Hannibal" still makes me laugh and pretty much any Tig Notaro, though I usually only listen to Live with other people who haven't heard it before(and want to hear it, I'm not trying to force anything on anyone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Matt Braunger’s Big Dumb Animal is one of my favorite stand up records in recent memory.