Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gramps posted:

New Sean Patton album is out. It's realgood so far.

Just saw him for NYE at the Acme. loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

There’s a guy on hbo right now named Drew Michael. I’ve never heard of him before but he’s actually pretty good. Not like “holy poo poo this guy is hilarious” but he’s pretty good. Kind of anti-pop culture stuff but just did a couple of comments pretty much calling himself out for his hypocrisy while doing it.

I’ve only been watching for about 10 minutes (came into it half way though) but so far I’d recommend it

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

There goes Bob Saget

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I rewatched Bo Burnham's Inside Netflix special for the first time in maybe a year and a few thoughts:

1) it is still really good/relevant

2) even if you Google old bo content, he was always funny. Even when he says problematic poo poo it is still funny.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
bobby burnham made me actually cry (I never do this, not for weird reasons i just have a hard time getting going) really loud for a really long time and I will hold it against him forever

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is there another comedian that inhabits the space Bo does where he both came up and had to actively apologize?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is there another comedian that inhabits the space Bo does where he both came up and had to actively apologize?

I don’t know if “had” is even the right word there, it implies that he couldn’t have done anything else when there are other paths he could have gone down where he either excused or doubled down on the problematic elements of his earlier work for a different audience. I think he just grew as a person and felt the need to let people know that some of the poo poo he was saying was wrong. I’m roughly Bo’s age and while I’m not a public figure I have said a lot of stuff like that when I was younger that I would/have actively apologized for.

It also probably helps that he was so young when he got big, comedy is really not a place where a whole lot of young people come up that quickly, combine that with his aiming a lot of his more recent work at people even younger than him and you have a situation where you can’t just say “well you know sometimes tastes change” because the younger millennials and zoomers seem to want to know that people know why they’ve changed and why it was still wrong even back then.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I can definitely see a world where he doubled down and became a monster like Daniel Tosh or something but I'm glad we don't live in that world.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Speaking of compensation, how does it work for Sirius channels like Raw Dog that play bits from stand up acts all day?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I know Attell's material has aged poorly but I'll be damned if I don't say "Mama says if I'm good I can lick the bowl!" any time I'm baking anything.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dave Chappell has completed his ascension into what he hated most

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1491448789558865927?s=20&t=gLsfL4EICBqxO9ubt5ZEUw

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Wow, ever since his comeback all of his material really had that reek of "guy ranting about his actual beliefs but trying to pass it off as jokes," and that really confirms that he is just a colossal piece of poo poo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have watched Catherine Cohen's brand-new Netflix special, The Twist?... She's Gorgeous! twice in the last 24 hours. She's an NYC cabaret singer/comic who blends raunchy, confessional stand-up with musical performances accompanied by a great pianist. This is her award-winning one-woman show from the 2019 Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Her stage persona is kind of a cross between an old-timey cabaret chanteuse/musical theater diva and a neurotic, slutty, disaffected Millennial... and she really is all of those things. I think she's delightful and incredibly talented, but I'm almost hesitant to recommend her because I can see her campy "theater kid energy" being extremely polarizing.

My wife was really skeptical at first, but really warmed up throughout her act and was a fan by the end, as I hoped she would be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I think this new comedy special from Jerrod Carmichael is gonna get us another round of “that ain’t comedy” arguments from dummies. And like, I might kind of understand where they would be coming from but at the same time

A: it’s still funny as poo poo because Jerrod still got jokes

B: part of the reason it came with, for example, Nanette (I think) is that Gadsby is an outsider to “the stand-up community” in many ways where Jerrod is not.

C: if it’s not stand-up comedy whatever it is is way more interesting.

Y’all should absolutely watch it when you get a chance.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I will never forgive Hannah Gadsby for not actually quitting comedy.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DC Murderverse posted:

I think this new comedy special from Jerrod Carmichael is gonna get us another round of “that ain’t comedy” arguments from dummies. And like, I might kind of understand where they would be coming from but at the same time

A: it’s still funny as poo poo because Jerrod still got jokes

B: part of the reason it came with, for example, Nanette (I think) is that Gadsby is an outsider to “the stand-up community” in many ways where Jerrod is not.

C: if it’s not stand-up comedy whatever it is is way more interesting.

Y’all should absolutely watch it when you get a chance.

Yeah it's great

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Thirding Jerrod's special, it's fantastic. He just lays himself bare. It's also shot very well, it looks like a movie in some shots (ah it was directed by Bo Burnham, cool).

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Absolutely in agreement, and for anyone thinking about watching it’s called “Jerrod Carmichael: Rothaniel” on HBO MAX. and I’d say don’t look up anything else about it. It’ll feel so much more raw/real if you go in blind.

But to echo: it’s funny as poo poo.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Gilbert Gottfried died at 67. He seemed like a pretty good comedian, and a good sport.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/gilbert-gottfried-dead-dies-comedian-aladdin-1235231387/

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Gilbert was opening for (I believe) The Go-Go's in the eighties. Someone made the mistake of telling him not to go blue because the audience was primarily moms taking their daughters out for nice concert. Naturally, he took the stage and went as dirty and offensive as possible, including throwing the c-word around very liberally.

One of his many, many apologies. Guy just couldn't help himself. Watch his doc if you get a chance. It's a very interesting peak behind the curtain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea he always seemed like a cool guy who had lots of good stories about him but also absolutely was completely unable to ignore the voice in his head going 'okay but what if you just pissed everyone in this room off'. Sometimes it was great like 'BOB SAGET RAPED AND KILLED A GIRL' sometimes he shouted the c-word at a bunch of moms and kids, it's a gamble.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I certainly don't defend his decision to make a bunch of children cry at a pop concert, but I always partially admired his inability to care about making people angry. It almost always came down to someone telling him not to do something. I'm one of those people who always thinks people flexing petty authority need to be punished, but I never grew the balls the size of Gilbert's. It's amazing to look at the sheer number of credits the guy compiled over the last 45 years when he seemed so hell bent on torpedoing his career.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
This is a massive longshot because I doubt anyone knows the exact bit I'm talking about, but I'm looking for a queer woman's standup routine from the mid 90s - most likely from a Comedy Central show. She wasn't a particularly big name. I remember she had short hair in a pixie cut, her comedy was fairly standard and she had a generally nice, sunny demeanor to her stage persona.

Close to the end of her set, she was telling a story about her mother bugging her to find a man or something like that, and talked about why it was so sweet for her years later when she finally told her mom she was a lesbian. The quote I'm looking for comes right after an applause break for that reveal (paraphrased to the best of my ability), "I always wait until late in my routine to reveal that I'm gay, because you've been here with me the whole time, so now the only thing that's different... is you!"

I can hear it in my head and I've always really liked that bit, but I can't find it anywhere.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Bonk posted:

This is a massive longshot because I doubt anyone knows the exact bit I'm talking about, but I'm looking for a queer woman's standup routine from the mid 90s - most likely from a Comedy Central show. She wasn't a particularly big name. I remember she had short hair in a pixie cut, her comedy was fairly standard and she had a generally nice, sunny demeanor to her stage persona.

Close to the end of her set, she was telling a story about her mother bugging her to find a man or something like that, and talked about why it was so sweet for her years later when she finally told her mom she was a lesbian. The quote I'm looking for comes right after an applause break for that reveal (paraphrased to the best of my ability), "I always wait until late in my routine to reveal that I'm gay, because you've been here with me the whole time, so now the only thing that's different... is you!"

I can hear it in my head and I've always really liked that bit, but I can't find it anywhere.

I don’t remember the set specifically, but that sounds like it would’ve been by Elvira Kurt?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvira_Kurt

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That's her! Thanks, I didn't think I'd actually get a response on that one. :)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Out of pure morbid curiosity I watched Brendan Schaub's new special because apparently I'm a self hating masochist. It was remarkably bad, maybe worse than the last one. Apparently you can be a completely unlikable, unfunny douchebag who lands ZERO jokes in a 30 minute set and still become a successful comic somehow (be friends with Rogan)

I've had to listen to good comedy as a palate cleanser all day cause that poo poo STINKS.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Brenden Schaub’s standup is garbage. Joe List released a new special on his YouTube channel today. Everyone should watch that instead.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
If nothing else, we got the video of Chris D’Elia finding out that you can save Snapchats thanks to his being on Brendan Schaub’s podcast at the time, and that was loving hilarious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zugzwang posted:

If nothing else, we got the video of Chris D’Elia finding out that you can save Snapchats thanks to his being on Brendan Schaub’s podcast at the time, and that was loving hilarious.

lmao yea the progression of facial expressions is so amazing, it would have seemed over the top if an actor did it in a movie

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

empty baggie posted:

Brenden Schaub’s standup is garbage. Joe List released a new special on his YouTube channel today. Everyone should watch that instead.

Joe List's special is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOGB0nBHpg

coathat
May 21, 2007

Gramps posted:

Out of pure morbid curiosity I watched Brendan Schaub's new special because apparently I'm a self hating masochist. It was remarkably bad, maybe worse than the last one. Apparently you can be a completely unlikable, unfunny douchebag who lands ZERO jokes in a 30 minute set and still become a successful comic somehow (be friends with Rogan)

I've had to listen to good comedy as a palate cleanser all day cause that poo poo STINKS.

At least unlike with other bad comedians you can watch him get knocked out repeatedly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfeDWjgslaI

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Did somebody say “I want to watch a stand-up set that is just a hilarious 30 minute hit piece on Chris D’Elia and his enablers”?

https://youtu.be/O-0peCQvz_k

Incredibly funny, incredibly mean, incredibly deserved

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Owns

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Chris Distefano's new special hit Netflix today. It's good.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
What are your blokes thoughts on Dave Chapelle being attacked whilst filming his new stand up special

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Wild times. There's going to be more hand-wringing over the safety of comedians again. I guess we still don't know why he did it but it seemed to be planned rather than just a response to something he said.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on Dave Chapelle being attacked whilst filming his new stand up special

Looks like the guy received an absolutely life altering beating for his trouble so I'm cool with it. Dave's opinions have taken a turn for the sucky, but he's still the GOAT. I'm glad he's ok and the other dude decidedly is not

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
poo poo sucks. Really shocking that the first thing he said after it happened (going off the Twitter videos I saw) was “it was a trans man”. Real cool Dave

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do not concern myself with the problems of millionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Classist transphobe that bullies teenagers got punched lol