Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

BobTheCow posted:

What the hell is Norm Macdonald doing on his Twitter right now? I mean, he's obviously (very meticulously) calling golf, but... why? I keep looking for a joke, but none has come.

https://twitter.com/#!/normmacdonald

As much as I love Norm I had to let him go when he started doing a running commentary for the most boring sport on the planet on a regular basis. If it were supposed to be Kaufman-esque I'd give him a little credit, but I know it's not because it's Norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

BobTheCow posted:

What the hell is Norm Macdonald doing on his Twitter right now? I mean, he's obviously (very meticulously) calling golf, but... why? I keep looking for a joke, but none has come.

https://twitter.com/#!/normmacdonald

Macdonald is a gambling addict and sports nut, so he probably sincerely cares about the minutia of the game.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
He likes golf and he is a well known gambler. It isn't some ruse to be funny.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Are you guys serious? Norm Macdonald's whole schtick is making unfunny jokes. It's loving great.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yes we're aware. But he's noted it himself he is a near degenerate gambler. When he has talked about random sports in the past it is him paying attention because he gambles.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Pretty sure he's also live tweeted other sports events that aren't so boring (boxing comes to mind), so yeah he probably is excited/has cash riding on someone doing well.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah but I'm sure he's fully aware that the tweets aren't engaging for anyone else at all.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Jim Gaffigan releases his new stand-up special, Mr. Universe today! It's available for 5 dollars and you can download it directly from his website, just like the one by Louis C. K. and Aziz Ansari. I can't fathom why you wouldn't like Gaffigan, so go and download them.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

toanoradian posted:

Jim Gaffigan releases his new stand-up special, Mr. Universe today! It's available for 5 dollars and you can download it directly from his website, just like the one by Louis C. K. and Aziz Ansari. I can't fathom why you wouldn't like Gaffigan, so go and download them.

I was at that taping, and the Ansari one, and it was pretty drat good. It looks like it doesn't have Todd Glass as the opening act though, which is quite a shame.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

toanoradian posted:

Also, don't forget for every purchase $1 goes to the Bob Woodruff Foundation.

Edit: And Reggie Watts does the music!

Urk! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 11, 2012

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?
Anybody here do stand-up themselves?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They've announced the shows that they're doing at the Just for Laughs Festival in Chicago, and while "Comedy Festival sponsored by TBS" doesn't sound like a winner, they've got some loving amazing stuff. Patton Oswalt is doing a show, Aziz is doing two in one night, Kevin Smith is doing one of his Q&As, Mike Birbiglia is doing a run of his latest one-man show, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, Amy Shumer, Jeff Ross, John Oliver, I'm gonna go broke just trying to get to all of these.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Hoping the JFL Montreal announcements are made soon, and just as awesome. Last year I burned myself a bit by filling my slate before the smaller shows (which fell under the ZooFest banner) were announced, and I'll be a lot pickier until the full lineup is out.

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD

Yoshifan823 posted:

They've announced the shows that they're doing at the Just for Laughs Festival in Chicago, and while "Comedy Festival sponsored by TBS" doesn't sound like a winner, they've got some loving amazing stuff. Patton Oswalt is doing a show, Aziz is doing two in one night, Kevin Smith is doing one of his Q&As, Mike Birbiglia is doing a run of his latest one-man show, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, Amy Shumer, Jeff Ross, John Oliver, I'm gonna go broke just trying to get to all of these.

TBS puts on a solid event. Last year I saw Kristen Schaal, Hannibal Buress, Paul F Thomkins, and Demetri Martin all perform during one show at the Chicago Theater. You can't beat that.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

Hoping the JFL Montreal announcements are made soon, and just as awesome. Last year I burned myself a bit by filling my slate before the smaller shows (which fell under the ZooFest banner) were announced, and I'll be a lot pickier until the full lineup is out.

I didn't have a job last summer and the only thing I could swing was Paul F. Tompkins (which was great!). Gonna try to expand the slate this year.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Dancing Potato posted:

I didn't have a job last summer and the only thing I could swing was Paul F. Tompkins (which was great!). Gonna try to expand the slate this year.

I was there too. Love PFT, and I have to believe they'll be going above and beyond for the 30th Anniversary.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So Doug Stanhope has gone from being one of my favorite stand-ups to just blah with his last two releases. I was hoping Oslo was just a misstep and he'd come back strong from that, but Before Turning the Gun on Himself is boring as poo poo, pretty one-note, and not very entertaining. He sounds like a bitter, jaded alcoholic (which he did before) but now he's taken that next step and it's no longer funny. Maybe I'm just growing out of that style though as I get older.

joff_b
Aug 5, 2011

Ariza posted:

So Doug Stanhope has gone from being one of my favorite stand-ups to just blah with his last two releases. I was hoping Oslo was just a misstep and he'd come back strong from that, but Before Turning the Gun on Himself is boring as poo poo, pretty one-note, and not very entertaining. He sounds like a bitter, jaded alcoholic (which he did before) but now he's taken that next step and it's no longer funny. Maybe I'm just growing out of that style though as I get older.

I don't think it's you growing out of it, I only just got into Stanhope at christmas and after listening to everything he has done about 5 times over, his new album was definitely disappointing. I agree that it feels like it's too much complaining without enough jokes.

I still have faith he'll bounce back and find some good things to talk about though.

DrunkDalek
May 20, 2003

Drinking beer to make music to drink beer to.
Anybody else at the Bridgetown Comedy Fest this weekend? Between this and seeing James Adomian's show on wednesday night, I'm gotten to see a lot of great stuff and drank too much beer for four days straight.

Ron Funches was particularly solid, and gets quieter when the audience gets bigger.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

jdsalmon posted:

Anybody else at the Bridgetown Comedy Fest this weekend? Between this and seeing James Adomian's show on wednesday night, I'm gotten to see a lot of great stuff and drank too much beer for four days straight.

Ron Funches was particularly solid, and gets quieter when the audience gets bigger.

I missed the rest but was at Adomians set on wednesday. He killed it. Amazing material.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Saw Daniel tosh last week in Richmond, he was great as always. I saw him last year too, but I was a bit too drunk at the time to retain memory of much of the show, so I can't really compare.

His opener this time around was Kyle Kinane, who I hadn't seen much of before. He was loving awesome, I'm definitely going to start keeping track of him.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Haven't seen Tosh live yet, but Kinane is fantastic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BobTheCow posted:

Saw Daniel tosh last week in Richmond, he was great as always. I saw him last year too, but I was a bit too drunk at the time to retain memory of much of the show, so I can't really compare.

His opener this time around was Kyle Kinane, who I hadn't seen much of before. He was loving awesome, I'm definitely going to start keeping track of him.
Go get kinane's album death of the party. It's a really great album.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

jdsalmon posted:

Anybody else at the Bridgetown Comedy Fest this weekend?

Goddamn, I think I ran into Todd Barry, like, five times in the span of an hour. And every single time he looked like he was this close to yelling at me.

I was able to nab a severed monkey head in a round of Chart Piņata during a Who Charted taping, though. Bridgetown always delivers.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I met Todd Barry after a big standup show at The Bell House in Brooklyn where he also played drums for a Clash song and there were like 3-4 pretty ladies throwing themselves at him afterward so he had no time for me. I just wanted to say hi and tell him how funny I thought he was but he was having none of it. I get it, though, I'd probably do the same thing.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Does that really count as meeting somebody?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Well once I shake someone's hand I consider that having met them

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
One time Louis CK was taking photos of the opening act right next to me, and even though we had clearly met at this point, I was kind of pissed when he walked away and did other things. jerk

I've had the opportunity to run into a few comics after their shows (sometimes right before), and while most were very appreciative to hear me say how much I enjoyed their show, most of them were busy with other poo poo. Even though we only see them on stage for a half hour or an hour, their entire evening is usually taken up by the gig, especially if they're driving in straight from the airport or a neighboring city. Don't take it personal or anything, especially if he was busy with some girls. I'm sure if you e-mailed Todd he'd appreciate your support.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

indigi posted:

I met Todd Barry after a big standup show at The Bell House in Brooklyn where he also played drums for a Clash song and there were like 3-4 pretty ladies throwing themselves at him afterward so he had no time for me. I just wanted to say hi and tell him how funny I thought he was but he was having none of it. I get it, though, I'd probably do the same thing.

So what you're saying is that "getting a Todd Barry" from Delocated is actually real

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Aziz Ansari and Chelsea Peretti are doing a show tonight at a local theater but no one wants to go with me and I hate going to stuff alone.

correction: it's tomorrow, but still

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 19, 2012

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Forum Hussy posted:

Aziz Ansari and Chelsea Peretti are doing a show tonight at a local theater but no one wants to go with me and I hate going to stuff alone.

Don't pass that up. Once the show starts you won't even care that you're by yourself but if you don't go you'll probably regret it. That is an awesome doubleheader.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Jack Bandit posted:

Don't pass that up. Once the show starts you won't even care that you're by yourself but if you don't go you'll probably regret it. That is an awesome doubleheader.

This comment is more true of more things than we realise.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Forum Hussy posted:

Do it. You'll enjoy yourself just fine, I promise.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

EDIT: I just noticed that this post ended up in entirely the wrong thread. Sorry about that.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 22, 2012

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Jack Bandit posted:

ibntumart posted:

Do it. You'll enjoy yourself just fine, I promise.

When I posted that I forgot I already had dinner plans for last night, so I wouldn't have been able to go anyways. (I should have gone)

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

New standup specials from Patton Oswalt and Paul F Tompkins premiere tonight on Comedy Central!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brock Samson posted:

New standup specials from Patton Oswalt and Paul F Tompkins premiere tonight on Comedy Central!

The first 10 minutes of PFT have hit incredibly close to home. This is fantastic.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A FANTASTIC two hours.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just saw Marc Maron do stand up in Portland. It was fantastic but man, is it adversarial. Lots of reassuring himself that the audience was "all right." He didn't get entirely comfortable until he was talking to one person in the front row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That's what happens sometimes with Marc. Part of the fun of seeing him multiple nights while he's in your town.