Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Aziz will do fine. He's certainly a big enough stand up act that he has and continues to tour the country as a pure headliner. He's also very internet/social media literate and has cultivated a strong fan base through his former sketch career, current Parks and Rec bit, side movie roles, and stand up.

Now if a guy like John Mulaney decided to go the release his stand up show on his own route I think his returns would be very small. In the comedic world John is pretty big and continues to grow but at large basically no one knows who that is unless they really care about comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bubba Smith posted:

I've been a fan of stand-up for like ten years and that's the first time I've heard the name (or at least I never paid attention the few times I may have heard it). So that gives you an idea on how hard it would be for a guy like that to do well.

That's my point. There are varying degrees of success both mainstream and perceived within the confines of the so called comedy world.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I said this in the other comedy podcast thread but it really was Bill being Bill for Bill's sake. He defends some of the more entrenched comics like Cross and he even admits that he's kind of ranting and that this wasn't well thought out. It's just him venting which he does where he says random and occasionally stupid poo poo.

I'm of two minds of the whole thing. I think if you really listen to what he's saying he is telling some truthful things and he is saying some stupid off base things. I'm meeting him in the middle.

Bubba Smith is absolutely right about the differing crowds. The type of people who will randomly go to a comedy club and not know anything about a comic and just go are the type of people who will simply say "I WANT TO GO SEE A MOVIE" and not know any of the movies playing and just pick one based off the poster or something. It sounds weird as hell but I've seen it happen numerous times. The weirdest ever being an two older women who walked in to Kill Bill and left around the time Lucy Liu's character decapitated a guy. But there certainly is a different vibe at a comedy club versus say you going to the UCB Theatre and watching Comedy Bang Bang's standup. The CBB audience is ready to laugh. It's very supportive. A comedy club is practically like an open mic if its not a big headliner, in that you really have to earn the laughs.

The whole fake nerds argument is so loving tired and annoying. Certainly people pander no one is denying that. But I'm so loving sick of some internet poop socker going off on some message boards or something decrying how someone who god forbid is actually attractive and appeals to more than just a narrow band of miscreants is a poser and a fake nerd. If anything this should be flattering. But yes, pandering exists. And it bothers people including myself because it is lazy and often the attempts are transparent. But someone like Olivia Munn doesn't bother me one bit. In fact I'll defend her any time of day simply for the reason that she is someone who is working in entertainment who happens to obviously be working very hard.

The Burr rant was simply him in front of a mic going off making some interesting points and I think he is actually on mark with some of it. It was unfocused though and as I said up top, he conceded himself that he was just kind of going off. I'll be interested to see if anyone directly addresses him.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
He likes golf and he is a well known gambler. It isn't some ruse to be funny.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yes we're aware. But he's noted it himself he is a near degenerate gambler. When he has talked about random sports in the past it is him paying attention because he gambles.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I remember Think Progress from a long while ago. Since when did it become this all encompassing site that has someone blog about entertainment stuff? What the hell?

Also I'm of two minds about these things. I absolutely feel that comedians should get a lot of leeway. I've seen people I know and respect do some off colored joke or riff and it goes poorly and the audience doesn't buy it. There is tension in the air. I know that person isn't someone who genuinely endorses something as vulgar or awful as what they say, but if you're a stranger seeing a comedian go in to a dark or blue area then sometimes things don't go so well. But that's who poo poo goes.

It does bother me that some comedians including Louis CK take this all encompassing statement of "it's just words" and don't let them bother you and they won't. That's fine when things are being expertly deconstructed and delivered in a funny manner. He can do that. Not everyone can and if someone is doing it in a lovely lazy way, then it just comes across as lazy and crass and stupid.

That said, I'm still largely on the comedians side. They should get more leeway than if you're just two people at a dinner party and then one says something about how gang rape is funny.

On the other hand as someone who has thought about this a decent amount, I think its always worth thinking about how people will feel. Not that saying something that could offend someone should stop you from doing it. But just think about how it might happen. I think about how Norm Macdonald talked about on WTF how he would never do a weekend update joke about a private citizen after he got a call from a persons father who died who he had mocked. In that general idea of thinking, I do think about if I'm writing a sketch or something if it really needs to be there or how funny it really is.

Again. I think its a fine line and I'm not saying that all comedians should walk on egg shells. But if it isn't genuinely funny and all you have is shock, that can only take you so far.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
He's an extremely hard working comedian who is high energy and is charismatic. He might not be hitting people with some heavy deep poo poo. No, he isn't reinventing the wheel but I can completely see how he has gotten to the point where he is in his career.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think Nickelback is far too maligned. They're harmless.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Well its great when he trolls everyone.

He'll say things like "Maybe America is the real terrorists." Then just let everyone get angry.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Saw Aziz working some new material at Crash Test at UCB last night. Was fun. He told one guy to please not record him because its new material and the guy didn't laugh the rest of the set which was funny because he had no reason to be pissed. He was asked nicely.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, commercial acting work doesn't pay what it used to in NYC. What I commonly hear is that you move to NYC to get good, then you move to LA to get work.

Or just skip that first part and get good in LA as well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
There are a billion places in LA to get stage time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Any time I've seen Kumail he's always been hilarious. Very good interaction with the crowds always.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's primarily his charisma and stage presence. Murphy's act has aged incredibly poorly though. Due to as you point out a lot of the punch lines just being "I don't want that fag to suck my dick!"

I honestly think it was less the edge but his presence and there are some great story telling moments in his sets too. As Dummy points out there were other edgy comedians from that era and prior. This doesn't make it inherently good or bad but it was a different era and now as we move on and then look back this looks even more dated.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Gervais is not a good stand up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think as a minority, but a straight male I still feel like I get 'outrage fatigued' at times because people are ready to blow poo poo up to bigger proportions. And since I follow a lot of comedy people on internet sites like facebook and twitter it can feel like an echo chamber. This isn't just related to rape jokes but it crosses in to joke stealing, what is good, bad, and so on. So it becomes this non-stop chorus of people making a flippant remark on twitter and then people saying "YOU KNOW THAT'S loving SEXIST" and me seeing retweets and articles on multiple sites and then another thing comes up where people are angry at an Onion article and so on. Which is not to say these complaints aren't valid. Or that some people are or are not out of line. Its just a matter of getting sick of it and thinking, "Can't we just loving laugh about something please?"

Now I think the important thing to realize is that language is fluid but it is not an open market. As much as you want to argue about everyone can say what they want its just not true. And you have to not only be good at deconstruction but also be extremely talented. I say this in regards to prominent comedians saying "Its just language/words." Words have power. It's why you don't see a lot of white comedians dealing with a lot of race related jokes. I honestly think people are pretty dumb when they get bent out of shape saying "WHY CAN CHRIS ROCK TALK ABOUT THE BLACK EXPERIENCE and I RANDOM DUDE WHO IS WHITE CANNOT?" I mean its obvious. Words have power and are loaded so if you're going to delve in to complicated racial, sexual, and political jokes you have to be good or know how to massage them in to a crowd. By and large I do agree with some who think that shocking humor/blue humor for going blue sake is often lazy. Now funny insightful stuff can be raunchy as hell but these are just my tastes.

On a side tangent, its often brought up about "right wing comedians" not being funny or why can't their be a conservative answer to The Daily Show. And this does tie back in to language....and the thing is a lot of comedy today that is popular is self deprecating and internally filled with conflict. Comedy is often derived from being disenfranchised or playing ones self up as a fool and a goof. And speaking from purely an American perspective the status quo and general perception of the right wing in America is of stodgy old white guys. And this does remind me of how some major comedians have talked about the difficulty of crafting new stand up sets after they've reached a high level of success. If you're Dave Chappelle and you walk in to a comedy club people are going to be primed to laugh because you're dave chappelle. Your jokes might not be good. And also when you hit a peak in your career its not as fun to talk about all the money and success you've had. It's more fun to hear about struggles and stupid life issues. Which is one reason why listening to Adam Carolla's podcast can be hilarious because he is forgetting about where he has come from. High points include when he was complaining about his maid cleaning up while he was home trying to have coffee...THE HORROR.

This was a long rambling incoherent mess. I'm sorry.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
To clarify my late night incoherent rambling.

1. Right wing/conservative comedy often fails because what the right wing often represents (I'm talking in the widest swaths possible) the status quo. The status quo is old white men who have traditionally been in a position of power. The same reason why a sketch or improv scene where a powerful person constantly denies or belittles a person who is of lower status rarely is funny is the same reason why a stand up comedian who represents the more conservative ideals often fails. Now there are tons of hacky awful "liberal" comedians too. Funny is funny, but in particular social issues are often examined in stand up and sketch and the social issues that the right wing in America represents right now often feel regressive or restrictive. SO to broadly stereotype, if you're a liberal slanted comedian and you want to attack social issues you come from the minority (in this case I mean the non status quo) or persecuted view. The opposing view even if you are a more conservative person is to not attack the position but point out the absurdity of the issue in it of it self. The long and short is that status matters and people just don't like to see people mercilessly beat up on a person of low status unless its handled in a deft manner.

2. The language fluidity issue is something I kind of dropped. When Louis CK says that its just words he is right and wrong. Hurtful/hateful language can hurt. And I think the most salient example is when a joke takes on a life of its own. Chris Rock's "friend of the family or nigga" one is a prime example. Dave Chappelle has also broached this point when he pointed out that he was no longer sure if the people were in on the joke...in that were they laughing at the joke or were they just laughing at him? I love comedy. I love standup, improv, and sketch. But I sometimes have an issue with comedians saying that this is a freedom of speech issue. Because often it puts the argument in to a "You're either for freedom of speech or you are against it." Which isn't usually true. It's not about quashing a discourse they disagree with. It's that some issues should be handled with more nuance. Race is often a minefield and as I said before anyone who says "comedians should be able to say anything" are absolutely right. But if you fail or do something stupid you should expect fallout and also blowback even if you are just working out material.

3. I'm going to sound extremely sexist/racist/whatever right now but sometimes I get tired as I pointed in my former post about the echo chamber that happens. I get fatigued by the constant articles that pop up on Slate, Jezebel, Gawker, Twitter feeds, Splitsider, and so on when some comedian says it. Then we get links to blogs about rape culture, why women comedians are/aren't funny, why rape jokes are okay, why BLAH BLAH BLAH. It's somewhat self perpetuating. And I think its important that people do get called out on this poo poo, but its also exhausting sometimes. I know, such a loving lame excuse. I'M EXHAUSTED OVER READING ABOUT THIS CIRCLE JERK IN THE COMEDY WORLD. But sometimes I do get that way. Sometimes I genuinely think people get so worked up about stuff they forget they have to laugh...at jokes and AT THEMSELVES. It reminds me of that Joan Rivers story which I can't remember where I listened to it, but was about her I believe making a joke about someone being blind and then an audience member informing her that she had a child (I think) that was blind and that its not funny. And its times like that, that you have to remember there is always someone who will find something to be upset about. I'm adopted. You won't believe how many times there are jokes where the punchline is basically "Well at least you aren't adopted" or "You find out you're the adopted one." And often they're very funny. But it is personal at the same time. Not literally personal talking about me but it is something that informs my existence in a way that people who are not adopted will never know. But at times I think people need to learn to roll with the punches sometimes. BUT othertimes I think people do cross a genuine line and its why getting upset is about it. I'd rather have people making all those tweets and blog posts than them not.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah he was talking out of his rear end.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

escape artist posted:

YEP!

The video is a snapshot of the incident. There's more to the story than that. Kurt and Matt ended up on good terms after they spoke on the phone, FYI.

Eh. Not really. They came to a detente relationship at best. Metzger says he has no ill will, but if I recall he still had random things to say about the theater.

UCB said they would re-evaluate how stand up relationship is handled. I can't speak for the New York theater but pretty much as long as the LA UCB theatre has been open stand ups have not been getting paid and continue not to. Though Death Ray/Bang Bang is dead the replacement show Put Your Hands Together is still getting great stand up comics and as far as I Know they aren't getting paid. And drink tickets or whatever aren't even an issue since there isn't a bar at the LA theatre. I mean, basically as Besser said, if you can get paid go get paid. But a lot of comics out in LA do the show to test newer material on receptive friendly audiences.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

escape artist posted:

Kurt and Matt ended up on good terms after they spoke on the phone, FYI.

New interview on Splitsider that doesn't exactly paint things as being on good terms.

http://splitsider.com/2013/06/talking-to-kurt-metzger-about-starting-out-in-comedy-patrice-oneal-and-stand-up-controversies/#more-28013

Metzger posted:

It’s like you're not doing me a favor giving me a stage at this point, I'm doing you a favor showing up at your stage at this point. So don't put it to me like that. It's almost like, "We're not paying you, so you don't have to do that good of a job." I don't want to gently caress around, I want to try to do a good job, so give me a cut of the thing if you enjoyed it.

I just did [the free UCB standup show] Whiplash last night, for example, which I love. I don't have any problem doing free shows. Like I said, they're fun because you don't have to do a good job. But money nights, I shouldn't be rushing to get to a spot, it shouldn't cost me money to get to that spot because I'm doing a friend a favor who's running the room … Raise ticket prices. If you raised ticket prices five dollars, it'd make the crowds better, and it'll be just better. And [UCB] won't do it. I'm against this "Free shows are a beautiful thing." They don't make the crowds good, they make the crowds entitled little foodies. Like they have taste. Then my challenge during the show is to hold back my loving rage at these little dickheads and not project this on them because they didn't do anything wrong.

That's right. Five or ten dollar shows make people entitled.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
You can watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoAQBqNS2w4

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Kreyshawn was there?! Jealous!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I hear that in his voice.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Ror posted:

Huh, really funny that you brought this up, I had the exact same feeling. The special felt a bit sterile to me even though I loved a lot of the jokes.

I saw him in July and if you were making a set list I'd say he did pretty much all of the same bits from the special. That Toto suicide bit was easily the funniest part for me but the whole grocery shopping thing seemed more depressing and less Gaffigan-y when I saw him live. The Germany bit as well seemed more flippant and clearly exaggerated, complete with a more over-the-top German accent. I would almost say that the material feels "overworked" to me, but I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to serious comedic criticism. At first I thought I was being too subjective since I saw him in a great little intimate club, but it's interesting to hear that in the exact same venue you noticed such a different delivery.

It makes me feel bad about all of the comedians I have formed opinions on based on single sets because I'm sure there are plenty that I would have liked in a better context.

I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to watch some great standup for the last year every Tuesday. It was very interesting to see performers seem to continue to work material and or find their voice. I view standup just as i do improv. It's basically (pardon sports analogy) like a long season. You'll have your good days. You'll go through slumps. But in theory you're going to be wanting to be trending on an upwards trajectory. Whether that means finding your voice, or honing material for a special you want to be generally speaking moving up. Obviously if you're just dropping in on one night you might see a "slump/bad" night and if you don't have the opportunity to see this performer again and again you'll only have that single vertical slice of a long trajectory.

That said its not completely unfair to judge a comic that way either. You shouldn't have to be a slave to the craft and know that they're working hard. If you weren't entertained and they bombed, that's still on them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I honestly typically hate anything bigger than a 50 or so person crowd. Obviously if its a big name in a small to medium sized theater its fine. But it just feels weird to me to sit at the back of a huge auditorium watching stand up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Keep in mind with PYHT its really a low stakes show. Comedians are trying/polishing and most of what Esposito does is crowd work and random musings that may go into an actual set.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Hannibal Burress is my king.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Asterios posted:

I've seen Mary Mack live in LA and she's really loving funny. Also a good cartoonist!

Agreed. Also I remember seeing her one time when she host Comedy Death Ray/Bang Bang right before it ended at UCB. Wish she was more famous got more recognition but she seems to make Minnesota her home base and tour a lot in that area.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Apoplexy posted:

Good timing by Jeselnik again, he tweeted today that, SPEAKING OF TRAGEDIES, you should check out Mulaney's new special. loving love that guy.

Man, this is very unrelated but a random facebook post that a friend replied to was of a comedian who was very much posting about France in a stupidly confrontational type that was not only in poor taste but just not funny. What was funny was how he also had posted a bunch of meme/text images with a picture of Jeselnik and him explaining why he makes jokes about tragic/morbid things, and it just made me realize how good Jeselnik is and how bad a poo poo ton of hack comedians who yell how they're not "PC" are.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Todd Glass is the funniest man on earth when the audience isn't responding as much as he'd like.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
His popularity is confusing and stunning.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
His whole UCB stance on not paying was stupid. If you don't like not getting paid don't perform there and don't act like they forced you. And he approached it in the most loud mouth idiotic way.

And the way he handled this thing was poo poo too. He's a big rear end in a top hat.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

XIII posted:

Anyone go to (or going to) Bridgetown?

Yes. It was fun.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I feel bad for him in the sense that his brother evidently stole like, a lot of his money. Possibly millions. Also in retrospect the idea that he stole a joke from Louis and got roasted when Louis was stealing peoples careers while sexually intimidating them as well is well, just bad. Cook's first comedy central special I remember loving when it first came out as well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Was mixed on the studio stuff, I think more people were at least expecting "something" but there were still a lot of funny things. I quite enjoyed the rapper ninja warrior stuff to end the episodes with as some of them seemed legitimately pissed. Was weird they left the interview in with the lady who died since filming, did they just not realize?

I'm laughing at the notion that a tv show made it to air all because a single editor didn't realize a guest had died.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My friend is the covid compliance officer for a big Amazon TV Show and yeah theres constant daily covid tests and things but theres no bubble. Everyone goes home at the end of the day. There were a couple isolated cases during shooting the past few months he said but they did get lucky as the case loads ballooned in LA since Thanksgiving.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
By far the most depressing but most expected thing coming out of the Hinchcliffe stuff is people defending him saying "you need the context of the previous set and his entire set." The argument being that Peng was doing some "lazy" race related humor so this was Tony just busting his balls and the crowd about laughing about that stuff. Which of course, I don't buy for a second so gently caress that.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Harminoff posted:

I think it's more of the previous comic saying "just be nice to Asians" and Tony going in the exact opposite direction for "comedic" effect.

That is what Tony is doing but I'm saying I saw a ton of comments online defending him saying "If Peng is going do race humor Tony is just doing it too." Its insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bust Rodd posted:

Everything is 100% online now dude, all of this is happening on Twitter and YouTube and on podcasts, it’s not obfuscated in anyway and you can find any number of people or programs discussing it openly. You don’t need to live in a place to know what’s going on in the scene if you’re plugged in, especially during COVID.

Okay so you live in Cleveland.