Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

BobTheCow posted:

Saw Daniel tosh last week in Richmond, he was great as always. I saw him last year too, but I was a bit too drunk at the time to retain memory of much of the show, so I can't really compare.

His opener this time around was Kyle Kinane, who I hadn't seen much of before. He was loving awesome, I'm definitely going to start keeping track of him.
Go get kinane's album death of the party. It's a really great album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Popelmon posted:

Doesn't iTunes just take 35%?

Edit: I'm listening to Hannibal Buress' album (Animal Furnace) right now and he mentioned that he wrote a sketch for SNL where the villain killed his victims by scatting. Did he write for Eagle Heart by any chance? They did that in one episode (and it was great).

I don't see anything on IMDB.

Speaking of Hannibal Buress, if you haven't already everyone should be watching The Eric Andre show on Adult Swim. It is seriously hysterical and fantastic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I think the drop off in fans came from the material degrading to "Look at how wacky I am!" and "Remember the late 80s to mid 90s?", and the internet "hatred" came from an oddly inflated ego. I also liked his first CD, couldn't tell you a single thing on the second even though I own it, and couldn't really sit through that Comedy Central special with the rotating stage for more than a few minutes.

I remember that special with the rotating stage having his super smug story about how he gave an atheist a verbal smackdown, and it was just this pandering eye roll inducing story.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Fil5000 posted:

I've only heard "Impersonal" and "Freak Wharf" and I enjoyed them both a lot. Impersonal feels like a lot of disconnected bits rather than a set that flows from story to story, but they're funny standalone bits. Freak Wharf is awesome.

That's actually what impersonal is. It was essentially a best of album.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Eddie Murphy was hysterical in his old stand up bits, but at the same time I can totally understand not wanting to watch them at all these days just for the simple fact of how loving homophobic they are. Every other thing said is faggots this, or sucking a dick that. It can get really uncomfortable.

edit:I mean poo poo, the very beginning of Delirious is Murphy just talking about how he walks around so faggots can't look at his rear end, and how his biggest fear is Mr T being a human being who wants to gently caress him in the rear end.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 14, 2012

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

manyak posted:

The thing is even though Im a younger Boy i can still go back and find Carlin, and Eddie Murphy and even like Lenny Bruce really funny so I understand the whole thing with comedy aging. Some guys are still funny even after all these years and people aping their style. But I cant imagine ever being like drat, this Sam Kinison bit is insanely funny even if it was new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zXsQ5QBfk

This poo poo sucks so hard

Yeah Kinison is one of those guys who when I was younger I loved him. I think it was because I was a huge Howard Stern fan and Stern always talked highly of the guy. So when I got older, and really started listening to his stuff, I just remember thinking wow this is really just not good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

SpacePig posted:

I remember liking Kinison the first time I heard him when I was, like, 17. My parents showed me an old tape of him on some HBO stand up show or something. His set was short, and reasonably funny, so it never got tiresome.

I've tried to listen to him since, and I just can't do it. He has 3 jokes, and they are screaming, swearing, and screaming swears.

Also racism and Misogyny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Kudosx posted:

Do people really think Ralphie May is that unfunny? I've enjoyed most of his stand up that I've seen.

Ralphie may is a guy like Gabriel Inglesius for me. They are guys who are obviously good at what they do, and they have found their audience, but I just can't get into any of their comedy in the slightest. I will respect their hard work and dedication to comedy though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I'm going to the hot tub with Kurt and Kristin at the Virgil tomorrow. I see Dana Gould and Eliza skinner will be there so that should be a lot of fun.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

feedmyleg posted:

I am very jealous it's no longer in New York :(

I mean really you can't go wrong. 5 bucks and a ton of great comedians.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same format as the NYC show was, but I always appreciated that they let it be a little more loose than just a straight standup show here. It tended to book the weirder acts, whether that was comedic retro-future DJs or creepy fake-German brother-sister hip hop bands or magicians or even going all out variety and just getting a choir coming through town. And I loved how most of the time Kurt and Kristen didn't just use it for a practice ground for their standup but really tried to do something new and fun every week.

I have to say, Wyatt Cenac's straight standup showcase is no substitute :(

This was my first time going since they started doing it in LA but it was generally a pretty straight up stand up show. Kurt and Kristen did do a great skit about hitler an Eisenhower meeting at the battle of the bulge. Everyone was really funny though. Dana Gould ended up not showing up but Kumail Nanjiani seemed to have taken his place because he wasn't previously advertised. He killed by the way. And I talked to kumail and Emily after the show and they were super nice and friendly. Eliza Skinner was also really great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

soggybagel posted:

Any time I've seen Kumail he's always been hilarious. Very good interaction with the crowds always.

He told this amazing story of him witnessing a man making a cobra and a mongoose fight for a birthday party in Pakistan.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I brought this up last time eddy Murphy raw was brought up, but watching it now is really really uncomfortable. Because he obviously has a real talent and charisma, but he seriously opens the show by saying he doesn't want to turn around to the audience because he is scared that a human being will gently caress him in the rear end and give him aids.

Like how do you even respond to that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I'm going back to Hot Tub with Kurt and Kristen tonight. Should be a good night. Nick Thune, Rory Scovel, and Jerrod Carrmicheal are all going to be there.

Excited about Jerrod because dude is funny and really seems to be making a name for himself[. I expect him To go far.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Tonight's hot tub was one of the best I have been to. Chris Thayer from you made it weird was really funny, Eric Andre was just as loving weird and out there as you would hope, and Bobcat was seriously just on point. Then Nick Krull dropped in and did like all of his James Franco roast jokes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

urk the quack posted:

Has anyone listened to Braunohler's new album? I haven't heard much of his standup but he's definitely great on podcasts/radio...

I haven't heard his new album yet, even though I was at his album release party. But every time I have seen him do stand up he is great. So I would recommend just checking it out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I scored tickets to the Eric Andre show live December 3rd at the echo. Should be pretty nuts considering Eric Andre is nuts. I saw him recently at hot tub and he was hysterical. And I imagine his show live should be great. I'm also guessing Hannibal will be there too so of course that's always a plus.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I went to a live Eric Andre Show at the Fonda Theater in LA, which I'm pretty sure was the first one he ever did. Have fun laughing a bunch while also slightly fearing for your general sense of well-being. Gallagher was never quite so bold in directly assaulting his own audience.

I have always felt that danger for your safety should come back to comedy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
So I just got back from the Eric Andre show at the echoplex and holy poo poo that was pure chaos. I got hit in the face with a bowl of spagettios. Watched them egg a kid on to yell hateful things about his teacher and call him racial slurs, and saw a grown rear end man drink Kreyshawn's breast milk. Highly recommended if you enjoy to pay people to assault you.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

soggybagel posted:

Kreyshawn was there?! Jealous!

Yeah she was utterly confused the entire time. Even more so when the entire audience screamed at her for like a minute straight.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Shovelbearer posted:

Kreayshawn is lactating?

She just had a baby and that is generally what women do after that happens.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Shovelbearer posted:

I don't think I'm alone in not knowing that Kreayshawn had a baby, and this was a way of asking.

I'm sorry man I was just giving you a hard time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I had a really cool stand up week this week. Monday I went to Hot Tub, and Paul F Tompkins was on the show and he was just utterly fantastic. Not that everyone else wasn't good, just that Paul came out and destroyed for like 20 minutes of what seemed to mostly be riffing. Then last night went to a recording of of Andy Peters doing an hour long set. He was great and is a really cool dude to talk to. Eddie Peppitone and Karen Kilgariff were there as well.

I also ran into and said hi to Jason Mantzoukas randomly on the street.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail is finally coming back for its second season on Comedy Central, and for any of you who have free OnDemand service through your cable company, you might be able to watch the entire first season again for free.

I've never been to L.A. to catch the live show, but I absolutely love the TV show. It captures the energy of being at an intimate stand-up gig better than anything else I've seen, Kumail and Jonah are charming hosts, Emily V. Gordon is adorable, and I love the backstage banter between all the comedians hanging out.

I went a couple weeks ago and it's a really good time. Judd appatow dropped in and Andy Kindler sang the entourage theme song.

I think I prefer Hot Tub a little bit more though. LA is amazing for comedy right now.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Shovelbearer posted:

That feels like a really generous appraisal of Andrew Dice Clay.

Not at all. The Day the Laughter Died is honestly a genius piece of work, that shows that the Dice Man was probably a lot smarter than he lead on. Honestly all of Dices old stuff is great. It's when he got super gigantic he started to believe his persona, and became exactly who he was mocking. It's the same thing with Sam Kinison. Kinison's early stuff he is clearly the butt of the joke. He plays this sad sack who can never get anything right, and he doesn't have a spine to speak of. The stuff where he yells is his true intentions being expressed and they are often dark and offensive. It's a really great character. When he became a big time celebrity though is when he started to buy into his own shtick and was wearing leather, and having naked girls on stage and just unironically calling all women dumb whores.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

soggybagel posted:

Man, this is very unrelated but a random facebook post that a friend replied to was of a comedian who was very much posting about France in a stupidly confrontational type that was not only in poor taste but just not funny. What was funny was how he also had posted a bunch of meme/text images with a picture of Jeselnik and him explaining why he makes jokes about tragic/morbid things, and it just made me realize how good Jeselnik is and how bad a poo poo ton of hack comedians who yell how they're not "PC" are.

It's like when you see a commercial or someone not familiar with rap music attempt to rap, because they think it's easy to do, and it makes you realize how loving talented rappers actually are.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Mst3kmann posted:

Jesus Christ, Patton Oswalt's wife died

Yeah I just read that. That's loving awful. She was super young too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

soggybagel posted:

His popularity is confusing and stunning.

I liked his character of the cool pedophile on workaholics but I've never seen his stand up.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I went to the Eric Andre show the first time adult swim was putting them on. It was an absolute blast if you just accept the insanity. Though I can imagine that the show is actually popular now the crowds have gotten worse. I will always remember an audience member drinking kreyshawn's breast milk though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Guy who invented the middle finger is funny too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Megazver posted:

Why would you inflict this upon us.

EDIT: To balance the sheer bro-ness out:

https://twitter.com/tinkerprincess0/status/1140245336432283654

This is way more obnoxious than the other video. Also no chain wallet.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of Kinane, since some of you mentioned him, he let it slip today on a twitter q&a that he's got a new album in the can. Which is cool, I dig Kyle.

I saw him do stand up on a gondola a couple weeks ago. He was drunk and very funny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

El Gallinero Gros posted:

David Cross has new special on Prime. Hopefully it's not poop. Liked the last one.

I thought his last one was great.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

BiggerBoat posted:

Beaten, but yeah it's from the movie Heathers where two jocks are killed and staged to look like gay lovers. One of the dads at the funeral says "I love my son. I love my dead gay son", only accepting him death despite the fact he wasn't gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMroWnWIqs0

You say he wasn’t gay but he was found in the Forrest with mineral water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Tony Phillips posted:

Saw Kinane tonight. Was on my short list for sure. Absolutely killed and has apparently been filming this week for a special.

I’ve seen him live so many times and he’s great every time. The best time I saw him was on a small boat in Long Beach California with like 15 other people.