Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like being the town crier, because GARFUNKEL AND OATES RELEASED AN ALBUM!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They've announced the shows that they're doing at the Just for Laughs Festival in Chicago, and while "Comedy Festival sponsored by TBS" doesn't sound like a winner, they've got some loving amazing stuff. Patton Oswalt is doing a show, Aziz is doing two in one night, Kevin Smith is doing one of his Q&As, Mike Birbiglia is doing a run of his latest one-man show, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, Amy Shumer, Jeff Ross, John Oliver, I'm gonna go broke just trying to get to all of these.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brock Samson posted:

New standup specials from Patton Oswalt and Paul F Tompkins premiere tonight on Comedy Central!

The first 10 minutes of PFT have hit incredibly close to home. This is fantastic.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whitney Cummings is good on occasion, Amy Schumer is awesome, there's the obvious Sarah Silverman, and if you stretch your definition of "stand-up", there's Garfunkel and Oates.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Little Blue Couch posted:

Well you'll notice how you just said in two lines of text what it took him one million words to say, which is a start, but actually in this particular instance both sides do not have valid points. One of the sides is like, "it's okay to make jokes about rape because comedians need to have leeway in order to do their job, and this privilege may extend to making aggressive and violent statements toward a heckler, who can say really" and the other side is like, "no, what the gently caress, no." Tosh's actions demonstrate that he is a bad comedian who doesn't know how to toe that very fine line, but also doesn't know to therefore stay the gently caress away from it.

This is just one instance, though. He does use a lot of that kind of joke in his act, but for the most part there's never been real mass outrage about it (aside from that one time it slipped into his TV show, but that's the difference between TV and live stand-up). There are plenty of comics that have had one bad night, and he obviously feels sorry, because he apologized about it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I did an open mic in January, I had a bunch of material all set, but decided I didn't need to bring it up on stage with me, because I'm an actor and can memorize poo poo, so I tell two jokes (which actually kind of got laughs), promptly forget all of my other ones, and apologized and darted off the stage. I brought friends with me to mine, and they reassured me, but I knew it was a hilarious bomb. I don't think I'll be doing that again. I'm much more of an improv guy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rear end Catchcum posted:

"One of the victims of the movie theater tragedy in Colorado is Caleb Medley. He is a comedian. Caleb has lost his right eye and is in a medically induced coma right now. He's 23 , he has no medical insurance and his wife is 39 weeks pregnant. If you would like to donate please go here http://calebmedley.com/help"

Thought I would share this in case any comics/fans of comedy want to help out.

This is an incredibly tragedy, and this guy should really be helped out.

On the other hand, if his wife were to die, he'd pretty much have the best origin story for a real life Joker ever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think any comedian's stand-up sounds more like you're listening to a therapy session than Marc Maron. And I love him for it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

escape artist posted:

New Jeselnik special, premiering on CC-- 1/13/2013, being released on DVD 1/15/2013!!!!

To merge these two threads of conversation back together, I saw him workshop some of the material that (I assume) is on this special when I was in New York back in April at Whiplash at the UCB. So go see that. And ASSSSCAT, because improv is fun to watch and that's the best improv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ibntumart posted:

Today was the last day of SF Sketchfest and I was wondering if any other Goons went to any of the events. It would be cool to share impressions and maybe give each other ideas what to see next year (or to avoid, I guess!).

On my part, I only went to two shows this year, Crash Test and Hail to the King, Baby (this was a Q&A with Bruce Campbell, moderated by Patton Oswalt, followed by a screening of Army of Darkness).

Crash Test Dummies was a lot of fun. The format was Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer interacting with the audience and doing short bits, with comedians coming out to do stand-up in-between. All the Huebel and Scheer parts were fun(especially the end to Scheer's disturbing Sebulba dance). I'd never seen Greg Behrendt perform before and liked it, but I have no idea if this was new material or not. Natasha Leggero was good; I'd heard some of the bits before, but she did new stuff, too, and she did riff a bit. (She also made my worst comedy show fear come true in that she honed in on me and my wife to ask questions, but she was actually nice... the guy after me wasn't quite as lucky, but whatever, she was cool to me and my wife, so fear negated!). Chelsea Peretti was supposed to perform as well, but couldn't make it, so Jamie Lee stepped in. She was decent, but I have to admit I didn't care much for the some of the material. (My wife had a more visceral reaction to the first half of her set.)

There were some assholes who had had too much to drink, plus one lady who was embarrasingly high in the front row (Scheer shut her up by having her taste test some Boogers candies). Scheer and Huebel ragged on them a bit and Leggero repurposed her tassled rape whistle into a drunken idiots shut up whistle.

Anyway, fun show and if they bring it to SF again, I would probably see if I could fit the show into my schedule.

Hail to the King, Baby was awesome, in no small part because my wife and I sprung for the extra meet and greet option. Bruce Campbell was really friendly and disarming to the folks lining up for autographs. I brought my Brisco County, Jr. DVD insert and he seemed really happy to see a Brisco fan. He started telling me a story and one of the staff had to cut it short and move the line along, which was too bad because I wanted to hear the man tell me Brisco stories, goddamnit. :argh: Still, really cool guy to chat with if even for a few minutes.

I loved the Q&A. Really, I love it when Patton moderates anything, but they played well together and seemed to have fun. Campbell really drove home the point that he doesn't want people to ask what *his* favorite parts or movies were: he likes hearing the fans' opinions instead of giving out his. Some people tried to be assholes or cutesy with questions, but Campbell did not suffer jackassery and had a ready retort for pretty much everything. I don't know what else to say other than that he has a lot of stories and a lot of thoughts about the business, all of which were pretty fun to hear.

I pretty much would go to anything that meant I got to talk to Bruce Campbell, quite frankly, but even if my wife and I hadn't ponied up a bit more for that, it would still have been a fun experience.

So there's that. Anyone else who went to Sketchfest shows, please chime in!

I'll chime in! I was in SF the week before the Super Bowl, and I got to go see:
Harmontown (they gave out free t-shirts after the show, and I made a really embarrassing video of Dan Harmon talking about how the girl I was staying with should go out with me, which I immediately texted to her because I was drunk and stupid)
Meltdown (where I first learned that Jonah Ray is actually really funny, and Kumail is seriously one of the funniest people I've ever seen perform)
JV Club (really heartwarming interview with Tig that kinda went through all of the poo poo that had happened to her over the past few years, she's very funny and Janet is just adorable)
Smartest Man in the World (Greg Proops is awesome)
Gravid Water (Improv show combining scenes from real plays with improvisors, both Scott Adsit and Ian Roberts were hilarious, and the Pam equivalent from the British Office was one of the actors)
Risk! (More Kumail and Proops, and some really awesome local comics telling stories)

It was super fun, though I wish I had taken a chance to talk to Janet Varney and tell her how great she was (I saw her later in the day after JV Club). I don't know when I'll be back, because the friend I was staying with is moving to LA pretty soon, but one of my improv goals is to eventually perform there.