Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Space_Butler posted:

Along those lines, I saw some jackoff replying to Patton about fair use and public performances and how if there wasn't a "no filming" sign then she could legally blah blah blah. THESE are the people who tend to engage in this behavior: people who have to spend 10 minutes citing legal precedents to justify what they do. Genuine, grade-a pieces of garbage.

These are the sort of people who read something law-related on the internet once, usually got it wrong, and nonetheless think they're legal experts somehow. I don't blame Patton for taking assholes like these down forcefully.

Edit:

FitFortDanga posted:

Likewise.

Dave Anthony created this brilliant thing

That was indeed pretty brilliant.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I know she's been around forever and I somewhat recall her talking about being Korean all the time in the 90's, but if anyone here is more familiar with her work, I have to ask: was she always this bad? Has she ever made you laugh?

I'm really only familiar with her earlier 90s stuff. I thought she was funny back then, but I don't remember being impressed from my admittedly small exposure to her more recent performances. I phrase it that way because I honestly don't remember any of the jokes or my laughing at anything. I do remember a sense of her ranting and pandering more than anything, but again, I don't remember anything specific, so maybe I'm not being fair to her.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

indigi posted:

Um. Munn and Hardwick are nerds because that's how they were treated during their formative years and despite how handsome/beautiful and successful they are they're still into nerd poo poo. Nerd doesn't mean "ugly and unpopular" just because that's what you were. Hardwick loves Dr. Who, when do you think you'll see Chris Rock make a Tardis reference. Just cause they're pretty and successful doesn't mean they aren't nerds anymore.

e: and lovely alt comics don't "work" now. just cause the audience at the UCB or Meltdown or Rafiki or wherever don't heckle or throw poo poo or mercilessly boo doesn't mean the comedian is doing well. Hack, poo poo comedians can make it at UCB or at Caroline's on a weekly basis for a while, but if they don't have talent they won't advance past there, no matter the mainstreamness or alternativeness of the venue.

All of this.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Yeah, agreed here - I dunno about Munn, but I've met Hardwick, and his nerdiness is quite genuine.

I haven't, but I did see him at a Benson Interruption and his joy and reverence for the Time Bandits map Adam Savage gave him just before heading to the venue seemed pretty heartwarmingly genuine.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Forum Hussy posted:

Aziz Ansari and Chelsea Peretti are doing a show tonight at a local theater but no one wants to go with me and I hate going to stuff alone.

correction: it's tomorrow, but still

Do it. You'll enjoy yourself just fine, I promise.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Glitterbomber posted:

I'll never get how 'well you're supposed to just buy a bunch of tickets for his shows to really get it' is a selling point but you're like the fifth person I've heard say something like 'yea he's super hostile and awkward about his audience but if you just seem him a few times he gets good'.

Indigi did say "sometimes." If it makes you feel any better, he wasn't hostile at all when I saw him until someone piped up about pirate torrents of Marc's CDs, which did irk him a bit. But that was only a couple of minutes and he moved on.

My wife and I got to talk to him briefly afterward. He was actually really nice and seemed genuinely happy to talk with his fans. Also he gave my wife a bunch of free stickers.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
He likes suits and now that he's not on TV, he can sport a mustache if he feels like it. What exactly is ironic about any of this?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Kaptain K posted:

We're all familiar with the fact that hipsters intentionally dress stupidly for the sake of irony.

True. We're also all aware that Apple manufactures the iPad and iPhone line of consumer electronics, which is as relevant a statement as your PFT observations so far.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 6, 2012

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

escape artist posted:

I'm not doubting you-- but what are some examples? I think of Bob Saget and Kevin Nealon off hand.

Bad examples: both of them started out doing stand-up.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Maarak posted:

They started off during the comedy boom and found fame in other mediums so I'm not sure that counts.

While I don't care about Nealon one way or the other, I do think Saget gets unfairly picked on, so allow me to :spergin: a bit. You were talking about comedic actors who turned to stand-up later in life, right? Saget may have lucked out and got a sitcom deal, then the America's Funniest Home Videos gigs, but he did put in time as a stand-up and he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't put him on my top ten list, but the routines I've watched have got a few laughs out of me. He is at the least a competent comedian and got that way because he started out doing stand-up. Though I don't know how much touring, if any, he did while hosting either show. (I'd imagine not much as his routines were definitely not family friendly and probably wouldn't go over well with the people who knew him from his shows.)

Nealon I don't know that much about, but I know he did at least some touring as a stand-up even while a regular on SNL. I also remember he used to pop up on A&E's Evening at the Improv every now and then.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

A student posted:

I loved Laura Kightlinger's stuff on Pulp Comics but I haven't heard hair nor hair of her since.

I love Laura Kightlinger's stuff, too, but I haven't heard much from her since she was on WTF a couple of years ago.

She did do this last week, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iHhjGQXWdk

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

-Atom- posted:

Oh my god it took me about six years but I'm finally going to see Stella perform live at the San Francisco Sketch Fest.

I nearly screamed when the confirmation hit my inbox.

Me, I'm checking out Crash Test and the Army of Darkness screening hosted by Bruce Campbell and Patton Oswalt. (I was sucker enough to spring for the pre-show meet and greet even.) Still trying to figure out what other shows my wife and I can squeeze in.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Today was the last day of SF Sketchfest and I was wondering if any other Goons went to any of the events. It would be cool to share impressions and maybe give each other ideas what to see next year (or to avoid, I guess!).

On my part, I only went to two shows this year, Crash Test and Hail to the King, Baby (this was a Q&A with Bruce Campbell, moderated by Patton Oswalt, followed by a screening of Army of Darkness).

Crash Test Dummies was a lot of fun. The format was Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer interacting with the audience and doing short bits, with comedians coming out to do stand-up in-between. All the Huebel and Scheer parts were fun(especially the end to Scheer's disturbing Sebulba dance). I'd never seen Greg Behrendt perform before and liked it, but I have no idea if this was new material or not. Natasha Leggero was good; I'd heard some of the bits before, but she did new stuff, too, and she did riff a bit. (She also made my worst comedy show fear come true in that she honed in on me and my wife to ask questions, but she was actually nice... the guy after me wasn't quite as lucky, but whatever, she was cool to me and my wife, so fear negated!). Chelsea Peretti was supposed to perform as well, but couldn't make it, so Jamie Lee stepped in. She was decent, but I have to admit I didn't care much for the some of the material. (My wife had a more visceral reaction to the first half of her set.)

There were some assholes who had had too much to drink, plus one lady who was embarrasingly high in the front row (Scheer shut her up by having her taste test some Boogers candies). Scheer and Huebel ragged on them a bit and Leggero repurposed her tassled rape whistle into a drunken idiots shut up whistle.

Anyway, fun show and if they bring it to SF again, I would probably see if I could fit the show into my schedule.

Hail to the King, Baby was awesome, in no small part because my wife and I sprung for the extra meet and greet option. Bruce Campbell was really friendly and disarming to the folks lining up for autographs. I brought my Brisco County, Jr. DVD insert and he seemed really happy to see a Brisco fan. He started telling me a story and one of the staff had to cut it short and move the line along, which was too bad because I wanted to hear the man tell me Brisco stories, goddamnit. :argh: Still, really cool guy to chat with if even for a few minutes.

I loved the Q&A. Really, I love it when Patton moderates anything, but they played well together and seemed to have fun. Campbell really drove home the point that he doesn't want people to ask what *his* favorite parts or movies were: he likes hearing the fans' opinions instead of giving out his. Some people tried to be assholes or cutesy with questions, but Campbell did not suffer jackassery and had a ready retort for pretty much everything. I don't know what else to say other than that he has a lot of stories and a lot of thoughts about the business, all of which were pretty fun to hear.

I pretty much would go to anything that meant I got to talk to Bruce Campbell, quite frankly, but even if my wife and I hadn't ponied up a bit more for that, it would still have been a fun experience.

So there's that. Anyone else who went to Sketchfest shows, please chime in!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Ror posted:

Well, it turns out the early shows are sold out on both days, so I guess the question is less relevant for me now. But I've wondered it every time I've bought tickets in the past too.

Patton Oswalt by the way.

I was in that same situation a few years back and decided on the early show. There were two groups of bachelorettes there, one wasted, so I didn't get to miss out on Patton engaging a bunch of drunks. Also, his set was amazing. First time I heard Moshe Kasher, too, so even more of a treat.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I don't think it has anything to do with cool as maybe not as many people here being familiar with Carr. He used to pop up on some Comedy Central stuff back in the 90s, but I don't think he gets much exposure Stateside these days.

More's the pity, too, as I think he's dead brilliant.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

Don't think he came off passive aggressive at all. He was semi-confrontational, but it was in a friendly and interesting way, as you would with your friends. Also, it was funny-as-hell.

That's how I read it. Not being a jerk, just prodding people to keep the conversation going.

Also, I love the series. Coffee, cool cars, and comedians are pretty much some of the best things.

LesterGroans posted:

The Larry David, Brian Regan and Alec Baldwin episodes in the first series are standouts.

I haven't seen the Alec Baldwin one yet, but I agree that the Larry David and Brian Regan ones are great.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Ha, John Mulaney is the first name that popped to my mind, too. His first album, The Top Part, is good, too.

toanoradian, any of Maria Bamford's albums would be a great choice, too. Reaching back a bit, I always enjoyed Mitch Hedberg's Strategic Grill Locations. David Cross's albums are solid choices, too. I'd recommend James Adomian's Low Hanging Fruit, but that's more into the anecdote/extended narrative you're not as keen on.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
It's hit and miss, I guess, but I think it's only a horrible podcast to people who think talking about video games is pathetic.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
He did a few last minute surprise shows in the Bay Area a year or so ago and I so wish I could have snagged tickets to any one of those shows. I'm not saying that no one would have yelled out a catchphrase at some point, but for the most parts, the audiences in San Francisco and the general area seem to be pretty cool. I like to think it'd be no different for him.

I guess what I'm saying is I hope Chapelle has at least a couple of places he can do what he loves without having a dickish audience.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I guess he could have read The Great Gatsby out loud cover to cover.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The Onion AV Club has a report on the Hartford incident, including video clips of what went down:
http://www.avclub.com/articles/last...62b825-16313841

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Trujillo posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember the parts where they interview other comics being good, but what Charlie was referring to is in the second half they start to follow some guy to bars as he gets back into stand up and surprise that part isn't as good.

That part I found interesting because when he popped up in the documentary, I dimly recognized the guy from late 80s and early 90s talk shows and the low-budget comedy half hours that came on basic cable back then (I think A&E---or whatever it was back then---had a half-hour show that was basically one camera on a mic in front of a brick wall at Caroline's). I don't know that he was ever famous, but I do remember he seemed to be one of the more visible comics at the time and even then, I was fascinated by the world of comedy, so learning what happened to him and seeing him get reinvigorated about doing stand-up was kind of cool to me.

But objectively, his comeback stand-up sets weren't awe-inspiring. I can't recall offhand any of his old bits either. While it was a neat part of the movie to me, I can easily see how other people would prefer it cut out in favor of more discussion with current comedians and the business. (I wouldn't have minded that much either, come to think of it.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Zohn posted:

Watching him pace around full of adrenaline outside a bar just because he managed to get a few laughs at an open mike is sort of the thesis statement of the film for me.

He has a book too, called I Killed, which is nothing but a collection of road stories from tons of comics and is totally worth checking out.

Very good point, actually. Also, thanks for mentioning the book! I just snagged the Kindle off of Amazon right now and am looking forward to digging into it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Dan Nainan doesn't handle criticism well, it seems.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
You know, that claim of bias is just unfair. Let's take a look at the Talk:Dan Naiman section of his Wikipedia entry---

Pissed off Wiki mod posted:

Sourcing[edit source]

I keep having to remove citations "sourced" from unreliable sources, such as a blog (Yuyam) and the press-kit page of a company (EventMakers) which books Nainan for events. We need reliable sources. --Orange Mike | Talk 18:59, 7 October 2008 (UTC)

Well, that's a bit shady, but surely not that big a deal---

Conflict of Interests posted:

173.56.80.12 writes:
"(cur | prev) 16:18, 22 August 2013‎ 173.56.80.12 (talk)‎ . . (11,890 bytes) (-332)‎ . . (Would you please stop vandalizing the birth date for Dan Nainan? We represent him, and we have birth certificate, passport and driver license verifying his birth date as May 4, 1981. We will elevate this to Wikipedia management if this continues.)"

To the IP, you are clearly in violation of Wikipedia's COI rules and should not be editing this page at all!

The truth of the matter is, despite being a fan, I actually find your efforts, along with posts such as these, to too biased. This is a forum to share information & educate in a non-biased fashion. It's not a forum to promote or "represent".

In January 2012, Nainan performed for New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg at a charity gala at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City. Afterwards, [Mayor Bloomberg] said that Nainan was "hysterical".[5]
In March 2012, Nainan performed for Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak at the Apple Investor Summit held at the Los Angeles Convention Center.[6] Afterwards, Wozniak praised Nainan effusively, saying that Nainan is "The funniest guy out there".[7]
In May 2012, Nainan performed for US President Barack Obama at the APAICS Gala at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Washington DC. President Obama said that Nainan was "hilarious".[8]

--DesiBabe | Talk 25 August 2013 (UTC)

Well, it's not as if he's pretending to be a megafan and falsifying his birthdate or work history---

Nainan :argh:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Rob was taken posted:

According to a Kumail Nanjiani tweet that has since been deleted, he also tried to bribe Marc Maron into putting him on WTF. So there's that too.

So he doesn't get how podcasts work either, then, and apparently doesn't actually listen to WTF. Though I kind of wish Maron would have him on. I have a feeling Nainan would make for another Gallagheresque episode, except with corporate buzztalk instead of photon v. electron discussion.

The Berzerker posted:

What a tool.

I saw Maria Bamford twice tonight and it was awesome. I saw Marc Maron and Andy Kindler last night which was also awesome.

Did she try out any new material? Not that the album stuff wouldn't be awesome to hear live, mind. I am dying to see her live one of these days, but haven't had the pleasure yet. (She always picks middle of the week shows in San Francisco for some reason... I think she had a bad experience at another closer comedy club, so hasn't been back.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Oh yeah, I forgot about that: Nainan has a how to do stand-up book. I am tempted to look for a used copy of his book since I have a feeling it would be unintentionally funny.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I just went to the San Francisco show last night and posted a short synopsis on the TV show thread, which I'll cross-post below. But basically, Birthday Boys do sketches, Aukerman comes out solo and does stand-up and solo bits for a little while, and then it's live podcast time.

ibntumart posted:

Just got back a few minutes ago. There were basically three parts to the show: the Birthday Boys opener; Hot Saucerman working the crowd; and then the live podcast.

Birthday Boys: Meh. The opening pre-filmed Odenkirk bit was funny, but the sketches were so-so. Ducky Powell might have been a bit funnier if I hadn't already seen the character on a CBB podcast singing the same song, I guess. Anyway, they weren't horrible, but they didn't really do much for me. Their taped bits were better, though. Less nudity, too (less being a good thing here).

The Choctaw: Really good. Aukerman played with the conceit that we were a rehearsal performance for the *real* big performance up in Portland. He had several other bits, including a happy birthday musical number and tricking someone onstage to act out a heckling script, all fun.

Live podcast: Loved it! His guests were Doug Benson and Paul F. Tompkins Werner Herzog. Coincidentally, my wife had mentioned on the drive to the show that Herzog is her least favorite character, but she was laughing at least as hard as I was most of the way through. Great Would You Rather? (they sat perfectly still through the entire musical intro and outro!), Aukerman made PFT collapse into laughter and almost break character during a discussion of the Medea movies, and just a lot of fun to watch overall. Oh, and they alluded to an incident in the previous show: a family brought kids to the show... on a night when Andy Daly was doing his Don Dimello character. The family apparently made a hasty exit shortly after he came out.

So there's a very brief review. Absolutely worth the price of admission.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

synthacide posted:

I just watched it, hella funny!

side note, what a good source to find local stand up?

I live in the bay area and seriously there isn't much and what i do find is garbage (tommy t's)

I have to confess I've never gone to see local acts (unless you count Moshe Kasher). I tell myself if I lived in San Francisco and had spare time, I'd check out the local talent now and then, but as it is, I'm not driving to the city and trying to find parking unless I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the comedian in question.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Shovelbearer posted:

Don't really good comics come to Cobbs a lot?

That and the Punchline are the two major comedy clubs.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I try to go to at least three shows every SF Sketchfest, plus maybe another couple of shows a year if I can, and this is all I could remember vis-a-vis heckling:

- When I saw Patton Oswalt at Cobb's, he located two bachlorette parties and engaged them preemptively (he held a quick contest to determine which was the better one), which gave them attention and kept them quiet for the show. It was a graceful and funny way to deal with potential disruption ahead of time.

- The Human Crash Test show at this year's Sketchfest didn't exactly have hecklers, but there were some very ardent fans (I had the misfortune of sitting a couple of seats down from one) who wanted the comedians to know how much they loved them. Especially one chick who was really into Natasha Leggero. She was really good at quick one-liners and keeping things going.

- At the Bruce Campbell Q&A and Army of Darkness showing (also at SF Sketchfest), there was one jackass who got to come up and ask Campbell a question. He said something like "How does it feel to be interrupted?" and then walked away just as Campbell started answering. Didn't faze Campbell a bit. I think he's seen everything at this point and insta-recovers from anything. (And I got to talk to him one-on-one for a minute at a pre-show signing, which made this the best show ever. :allears:)

- This was not in San Francisco, but at a Sunnyvale comedy club, Doug Benson stopped a heckler by just commenting that the guy was being kind of rude and mean interrupting a show other people had paid to see. That actually guilted the guy into shutting up, which surprised me.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
SF Sketchfest is drawing nigh. My wife and I are definitely going to several shows (still haven't figured out which ones: the Andy Daly and Tony Hale ASSSSCAT is sold out, unfortunately, as is the Key & Peele Tribute :( ). Any other Bay Area goons have plans to go, and if so, what are looking forward to?

For me, The Andy Daly Show preview is something both my wife and I really want to see, but sadly our schedules aren't going to allow it. (I might wind up going by myself, though.) But we can still catch Adam Scott doing The Greatest Event in Festival History, Matt Besser doing a live I4H, and Huebel and Scheer doing a Facebook Improv, and those are just what jumped out over a cursory look at the schedule.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
I liked Scott's set on that album. :colbert:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Oh, I agree. He did a great job on the standup portion of the CBB tour. But I still crack up at the extreme health PSA bit on the CDR album whenever I listen to it.

That reminds me: did Mindy Kaling ever do any other stand-up? Apart from the CDR album, I can only recall one YouTube clip I saw with her calling BJ Novak as part of a presumably longer set.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

detectivemonkey posted:

I've never heard anything else from her. I did enjoy her book -- it was a quick read (I think I finished it on a 3-hour flight).

Her book was great. I bought the enhanced Kindle version with the audio and extra little slideshows, but I still got through it pretty quickly like you did.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I don't believe so. She got hired to write on The Office from co-writing/co-starring in a comedic play.

I know, which was I thought it was weird that there were any clips of her doing standup at all. I guess it was just that CDR performance and maybe some practice shows beforehand.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Ochowie posted:

Who is this guy?

Gabriel Iglesias. He's not the worst comedian in the world, but he's definitely not someone I'd look forward to seeing. He definitely seems more oriented toward a broad mainstream audience. I don't know how much of his stuff is specifically about being Latino. The material of his I've heard is mostly stories about some dumbass friend who always plays practical jokes on him.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Iglesias was on WTF last year and like Larry the Cable Guy and other comics who have really dumb, specific material, he's actually really smart and totally cognizant of what he's doing with his brand. If you go to Vegas, airports, or malls, you'll see kiosks devoted entirely to merchandise with his catchphrase/nickname, "Fluffy." As a Latino, I find him really annoying and as a comedy fan I think he's totally unfunny, but I understand his business savvy.

This is a perfect summary, actually.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So good for him for getting some money in a tough industry, I say.

Yeah, I don't begrudge him his success either. He's making it and he's not selling us out in the process, so yay for him.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

But if you want to see good Latino comedians, check out Last Comic Standing winner/East LA native Felipe Esparza if you're into dirty, raunchy stories or The Daily Show's Al Madrigal whose POV is more nuanced since he's half-white and grew up lower middle class. He has this super funny bit about his son's cholo soccer coach that I recommend listening on Spotify.

Seconding that Al Madrigal bit recommendation.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
What happened with Patton Oswalt and Twitter? I completely missed any controversy.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Oh, okay, that Salon spat I remember (and agreed with him, though yeah, it's after all just Salon).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
God drat it. I can't believe this. Was really hoping this was some dumb joke and Google would take me to a podcast skit or something. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
So Lauren Lapkus is GE's new ad spokesperson now, I guess? Here's her ultrasound machine ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BylCsOEfwss

She has several others. I enjoyed all of them, but I'm a huge Lapkus fan, so I may be biased.