Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm glad someone else is trying this out. I'm surprised it was Gaffigan, of all people. I really like his style, even if everyone else in my family hates him for some reason. I just hope he doesn't revisit the Hot Pockets bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think it was just for King Baby, because I don't remember him doing it at all in Beyond the Pale or on his Comedy Central Presents episode. It did get grating really quickly, though, since there were times he would do a solid minute of them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Sexy Randal posted:

He did it a ton in Beyond the Pale, I think maybe less in King Baby (I haven't listened to that one in a while). I find it funny but can see how it could be grating after a while.

I look forward to this, I think he's a funny dude and seems like a good guy so hopefully it works out. Definitely curious to see what kind of sales he does since he doesn't have the name recognition of a guy like Louis.

OK, as I was typing a response, I remembered him pretty much starting Beyond the Pale with one of those, and it happening a bunch throughout. I guess it didn't start to wear on me until King Baby, then. Sorry for the misinformation!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Howdy posted:

Just watched "I Am Comic" a few weeks ago, and Gaffigan complained (complained is probably the wrong word, since he seems to consider it a compliment to be recognized) that people will just yell HOOOOOOOT POCKET at him on the street, and he doesn't really know how to respond to that. Sounded like he didn't really want to have that be his "git 'er dun"

I'll admit that hearing the Hot Pockets bit on Comedy Central Presents is what roped me into listening to him more, but it kida makes me sad that it's become that for him. I remember listening to King Baby for the first time and hearing him mention the words "Hot Pocket", and then hearing the audience go absolutely nuts. The worst.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I hope this actually becomes a thing now. I mean, I'm willing to pay so much for a stand-up album, but I know that the stand-ups themselves don't see as much of the profits as they really should, and the whole DRM free thing is a nice touch.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Some friends and I are gonna go see Paul F. Tompkins while he's in Philly. In August.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I think the drop off in fans came from the material degrading to "Look at how wacky I am!" and "Remember the late 80s to mid 90s?", and the internet "hatred" came from an oddly inflated ego. I also liked his first CD, couldn't tell you a single thing on the second even though I own it, and couldn't really sit through that Comedy Central special with the rotating stage for more than a few minutes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

nerve posted:

http://buy.louisck.net/tour-dates

Coming to you again in December!

Why won't he just stop in Philly?:(

e: That said, I'm really psyched about Paul F. Tompkins coming to Philly. I loved his last CD, and his Comedy Central special was also really good, so I'm really looking forward to it. So I guess Louis can skip over Philly is he really has to.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I only checked out PFT's standup after I had heard him on CBB and listened to his podcast for awhile. Iw asn't sure at first, but this is the bit that absolutely sold me on him forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CEWFaiL_o

e: It's not necessarily his best bit, but it's pretty representative of why I love him. The whole thing is just absurd, and it slowly turns from a standup routine into a 1-man show.

e2: Any other goons gonna see him in Philly on August 11th?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I'm normally on the side of the "It's just words" thing as well, but there's a pretty big difference between telling bad "rape jokes" and saying that it would be funny for a heckler to be raped right then and there. It really just should've ended with something along the lines of Tosh saying "Well, that's where you and I disagree." and moving on. Going out of his way to "attack" the woman was a dumb thing to do, and is completely indefensible.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Apparently they want to murder you in a well, it says here on this card.

I just watched this, and at this point it pans to John Lovitz cracking up, and you can see Jim Norton behind him mouthing "What?" It's amazing how many people didn't get what was going on when Lovitz and Gilbert Gottfried were absolutely losing it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Went to see Paul F. Tompkins in Philly last night, and while his set was as good as I expected, what I did not expect was the first person on stage to be John Hodgman. It was pretty strange to see him there in the first place, and it took me a second to figure out who he was since I hadn't seen a picture of him in awhile.

It was a great time, despite the theater being overwhelmingly hot.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I can understand maybe not wanting to listen to people like Eddie Murphy or George Carlin. Carlin kind of turned into a rambling, grumpy old man in the end, and that wasn't for everyone. Eddie Murphy is currently about as far away as anyone can be from classic Eddie Murphy. So I can get people not thinking their old stuff would be very good. While he's not it the same tier, I was the same with Bob Saget because I grew up watching Full House and AFV. But liking them after watching them baffles me completely.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I remember liking Kinison the first time I heard him when I was, like, 17. My parents showed me an old tape of him on some HBO stand up show or something. His set was short, and reasonably funny, so it never got tiresome.

I've tried to listen to him since, and I just can't do it. He has 3 jokes, and they are screaming, swearing, and screaming swears.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The_Rob posted:

Also racism and Misogyny.

Oh, right. I remember now that one of the only jokes of his I can remember is him yelling "MARLBORO! MARLBORO! SMOKEY-SMOKEY!" because a Hispanic or Indian (I can't remember) convenience store worker couldn't find his cigarettes. He probably also was a horrible misogynist, but I don't think I ever made it that far into a bit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Bandwidth, probably. She'd be getting money witheld regardless of who was putting it out anyway unless she had the means to do it herself.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The only money going to charity for this is the money that Tig is electing to give to charity from her take. I don't see why Louie asking for a bit, regardless of his reasons, is such a bad thing since he's the one hosting it and advertising it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Would you prefer it not be released at all, then, if Tig wasn't getting 100% of the proceeds?

I mean, I get where you're coming from to a certain extent, but I sincerely doubt he got the video from Largo for free, and I doubt Tig has the resources to release it this way, and may never have intended to release it like this in the first place. And it's not like he's holding the thing hostage, he made a deal with Tig and these are the terms the agreed on. What is the problem?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't think I've heard anything since the Carnegie Hall album. Has he really gotten that bad?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I haven't seen his new stuff, but I really like simple jokes that are being told well. He's not offensive or edgy or hyperactive, so it's actually kind of refreshing to listen to him sometimes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Trujillo posted:

Tickets for the oddball fest are going on sale at 10:00 AM local time of the event so if you're on the west coast you still have a chance not to pay scalper prices. Not sure if tickets are still available for east coast shows on ticketmaster.

Cheapest tickets were $25 for lawn seats but it probably varies by city.

Got mine for the Camden show, it was 45 for the next most expensive after the lawn tickets, plus some fees to bring it to around $60. Pretty excite for this. I've been to shows, but never to a festival.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

BigRed0427 posted:

This Thursday at the Medowlands in Hartford CT is Funny or Die's Oddball Comedy and Curiosity Festival. Headliners are Dave Chappelle and Flight of The Conchords. Also performing is Jeff Ross, Al Madrigal, Demetri Martin, Kristen Schaal, Hannibal Buress, and Brody Stevens.

I can't loving wait! :neckbeard:

I'm going to the Camden show next Saturday, and I'm excited as hell. I don't really know, so excuse my ignorance, but how does a comedy festival work? I've only ever been to regular stand up shows.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed. It was sort of the equivalent of a band trying to run through a few new songs but everyone's yelling out "Even Flow".

I caught the last few minutes of last night's TMZ for some reason, and this was an argument used against Chapelle. Like, he should have done Rick James because people were asking for it.:psyduck:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I went to OddBall in Camden on Friday, and while I missed some people for various reasons, I had a really great time otherwise. My only real gripe was that Demitri Martin wasn't at that show, which kind of upset me, but it ends up I read his schedule wrong. FotC were great, Chappelle was exactly as Ror described above, and went over time since he was last, and Kristen Schaal was adorable through her entire set, and was probably the act I laughed hardest at.

Brody Stevens was alright, but most of the talent on the second stage was boring or forgettable so I wasn't really paying attention.

I missed Chris D'Elia, I think, and about 5 minutes of Kristen Schaal looking for a drunk friend who we had lost between the end of the second stage and the beginning of the main stage. I missed most of John Mulaney picking up VIP bands I had won at the Funny Or Die booth, and Jeff Ross missed the first song FotC played because that VIP room wasn't playing the show at all, and we were never alerted that the acts had started again. The night itself was kinda frustrating, but every act was great.

Ror posted:

(and the performers all seemed to indicate that it was one of the warmer crowds they'd had on the tour so far). I just don't think these comedy festivals are for me. Too much noise, too much loss of intimacy, and even though we had pretty good seats you're mostly watching a monitor to see the facial expressions.

Dave Chappelle called Camden the best crowd he'd had on the tour so far.:smug:

I definitely agree about the festival stuff, though. I had more fun seeing people at the tiny Helium in Philly, or seeing PFT at some small, non air-conditioned theater, than I did wandering the festival grounds and watching monitors. I did like, though, that FotC took a lady's sign that said "Lick My Battery" and displayed it on stage, and Dave Chappelle invited a woman on stage who asked for a hug. I feel like a smaller venue may not have generated those moments.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Space_Butler posted:

Please elaborate on this. You don't care if a comedian isn't funny and doesn't make you laugh? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

I'm reading it as "I don't give two fucks [what they talk about] [so long as] the person's material is funny."

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Has anyone that's watched his special seen him live in the last year or so? He said on this week's Comedy Bang Bang that he finishes this special with the Clinton story he told the last 2 times I've seen him live. I want to know if there's enough "new" material to bother with watching it on Netflix.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Berzerker posted:

I'm half through the special right now and it's almost verbatim what his show was when I saw him in September. (Still excellent though.)

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've never seen him live so I loved it, but yea a couple other people are saying it's basically all jokes he's done in other shows, so if you've already seen him a couple times you probably know what's in it.

That Clinton story though. Mulaney is so good at being a storyteller as well as telling jokes.

I figured that'd be the case. Most live shows for bigger names are just test material for recorded specials anyway. Everyone should absolutely watch it since that's the case, though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I know most people here give no fucks about Ralphie May but he's having a weird meltdown over the title of Chelsea Peretti's album title. There's tons of quoted tweets of him trying to justify it including announcing his IQ...yeah he's in a good place.

https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691220415255941120
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691217383285886978

also including racism!
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691225880832663552

Hahaha. i've always hated Ralphie Mays.
https://twitter.com/Ralphie_May/status/691300120453877760
I... I don't think he knows what those words mean, or else he's using them completely incorrectly. Jesus.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dacap posted:

It's weird that he's calling her out now when that special has been on Netflix for months. Like he just saw it in his "recommended for you" section and flipped out.

She had tweeted about it the day before, I think.

Also, according to Wikipedia, his FEMALE COMEDIAN wife is filing for divorce and seeking custody of the kids, so I can see why he'd be a bit mentally off at this point in time.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

bango skank posted:

Man I just wanted to laugh at some rear end in a top hat being an idiot in public, not feel bad for a person going through a rough time. :(

I mean, it's not exactly an excuse, if that helps. If you're going through a tough enough time in your life that someone sarcastically calling their special "One of the Greats" sets you off on Twitter, maybe you should make an effort to stay out of the public eye.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
My favorite ASMR video is one that is making fun of it, but probably still does it for some people. By comedian/podcaster Dave Shumka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-q5p42rajE

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Asterios posted:

The "Hollywood Said NO!" audiobook is a live reading of every script from the cast of Mr. Show, and it's excellent.

I might actually have to buy this, because that sounds amazing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Have tickets to see Norm McDonald next weekend. I love his style of comedy but have never actually seen him do a stand up. I hope it's good.

If he's anything like he was in AC last year, he's really great, but also has a "don't give a poo poo if this is funny" attitude. He also ended up on just a few (ostensibly) unintended story tangents, and may possibly have been a bit drunk. It was a really great time if you love Norm.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Berzerker posted:

I saw more comics last week btw. Nate Bargatze, Emo Phillips, Ron Funches, Gary Gulman, Andy Kindler, etc. - even saw Tom Green which was fine (better than I expected tbh)

I saw Emo in Philly on Sunday, and goddamn is he just as good as he's ever been. I got to meet him after the show, and I just sort of nervously tittered at him. He's one of the first stand-ups I ever heard, and still one of my favorites.

If you folks have a chance to see him, see him.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Maybe he does it because some venues don't let him smoke on stage, and it's just easier to consistently vape than to roll the dice on whether he can smoke or not.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like the video of Bill Burr stopping in the middle of a set in Philadelphia and just spending the last 20 minutes of his time ragging on the crowd and people from Philly in general. He won the audience over by directly mocking them, and it was very good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I haven't watched the special myself, but if the bit really is that Dave genuinely doesn't believe trans people exist, I'd imagine there'd probably also be a backlash if he "joked" unironically that the Holocaust didn't exist.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

Emo Phillips is nice as hell and I got to shake his hand once and I don't think I'll ever do any better in life than that one moment.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

lol the classic setup of "You know this thing? These people are like that!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This isn't quite the same, because he's back to his old look now basically, but New Millennium Emo Philips is something to see.
https://youtu.be/Edypb_qDinA