Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Seriously I was hoping someone would have mentioned Kumail Nanjiani by now but w/e http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cvKcGVy6k watch that its literally one of the funniest things ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Sexy Randal posted:

Kumail is great, I'm seeing him live in a few months. I really wish he'd come out with a damned album or special or something, the only material out there is random youtube clips.

His Indoor Kids podcast is also pretty good if you like video games.

I've seen him a couple times and he is always hilarious. He does a weekly show at meltdown comics in LA.

Also they taped one for nerdist podcast http://www.nerdist.com/2010/12/nerdist-podcast-51-comedians-you-should-know/

you're welcome :)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Kumail is my favorite about-to-explode comic. I really think in 10-15 years he'll be considered one of the greats.

Man, I hope so. He kills at meltdown shows and always has funny poo poo. His "The Thing" joke gets me every time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZqMTp1TU1I

Dude has an incredible pedigree, came from Chicago, did a few years in NY and now is beasting in LA.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Oh gently caress watch this one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBXn-owyAE&feature=related

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Jesus, do any of you even go to shows? or just listen to pre recorded poo poo?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Why do you care so much how people consume their comedy

because live comedy is not the same as cd's and podcasts etc.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Last time I saw him he did 30 minutes of riffing up top. The first 3 tracks on his latest album are riffing. I really don't think he's cutting it out.

I saw him do 10 full minutes riffing on this drunk girl who claimed she was friends with Prince. It might have been the best 10 minutes of my life. And then Sara Silverman came out and told me osama bin laden was dead.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I knew it was a really bad idea to check this thread.

Its nice to see a bunch of White Male Comedians defending their "right" to say rape jokes. Glad you guys have brought in perspectives of people who have a greater chance of sexual abuse, you know, women?

Rape really just isnt funny, and if you do find it funny you are a really gross, rear end in a top hat misogynist. Go ahead and continue to laugh and re-tell and defend them if you want, I can't stop you.

Most of you fucks suck, don't understand censorship, and are the problem with ending misogyny in comedy. gently caress you.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29ArdxWYBGQ

here's a decent rape joke. note who's making it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah I like improv because I am incapable of writing jokes and not enough has happened to me to just be able to tell funny stories.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

oh so just saw Brett Gelman, Jon Daly, Paul Scheer, and Scott Aukerman live. They loving own. Brett Gelman knows how to tell it like it is and it is not okay to make fun of someone who got hit by lightening.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Oh so now that the debate is over you're back? Not gonna expound upon your stupid loving post a couple of pages back acting so superior and above all us misogynists? And it's spelled lightning. You moron.

Ok thanks, cause I didn't spell it that way on purpose.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Chromatic posted:

Seriously though, please expand upon your original post. You coming in here, spraying that garbage and blanketing everyone in it, then hightailing it when you receive a few well thought out and from the heart posts is loving clown shoes.

no, drop it. I don't want or need to talk about it because there is no point in arguing over it because no one will change their minds, which is why I didn't come in and defend it in the first place.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Welp, I don't think so but it's nice to be called a turd every once in a while. A little playground humor goes a long way. Anyway, do you wanna talk about stand up or continue trying to make me feel bad? Your choice, I'm easy.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Follow @twittels for some foam on the go

did you say foam or phone?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

toanoradian posted:

Call me ignorant, but I honestly didn't know Robin Williams had a stand-up career. Which one is recommended?

the one where the TV is black and turned off because you shouldn't watch a sweaty man flail around a stage for an hour.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

One of the stand ups that people always blow off to me is Eddie Murphy. It blows my mind that people don't like or laugh during RAW. Eddie is at his apex. Its bootiful

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Eddie Murphy was hysterical in his old stand up bits, but at the same time I can totally understand not wanting to watch them at all these days just for the simple fact of how loving homophobic they are. Every other thing said is faggots this, or sucking a dick that. It can get really uncomfortable.

edit:I mean poo poo, the very beginning of Delirious is Murphy just talking about how he walks around so faggots can't look at his rear end, and how his biggest fear is Mr T being a human being who wants to gently caress him in the rear end.

Yeah that is something that really is off putting to me and the reason I don't enjoy Delirious. Raw ends with the Italian guys-Night Club Fight-LILLIAN CAN NOT USE THE PHONE! LILLIAN CAN NOT GO OUTSIDE! EVER AGAIN!! which is amazing and perfect and I love it and I can't see how people aren't even amused by it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

DannoMack posted:

Doing over a million dollars in sales on his last special doesn't make Louis a millionaire.

ANYWAY, I bought it but I haven't been able to psyche myself up to listen to it because I'm kind of a pussy.

but lol, he is a millionaire.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

You're a moron. Why do you think Largo WOULDN'T give them that set for free? They do in house recording as a service to comics. I'm sure they charge some comics to record there, and like, if it was a comic recording an album/etc, but on a night where they just had a tape running on a showcase, Sarah Silverman is not walking up the owner after and being like, "hey can I buy a copy of my set?"

The club got publicity from this and I guarantee that Tig got her set for free from Largo.

Well, obviously, he's been to Largo so many times.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

indigi posted:

Son you obviously have no fuckin idea how the business works sooooooooo

when's the last time you saw a show at Largo? Are you headlining anywhere soon?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe people are still talking about this.

I could give a poo poo about the "Louis CK-Tig Notaro Controversy" but some dude from Philly?? I think, telling people about how it works in L.A. irritates me.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I haven't seen his new stuff, but I really like simple jokes that are being told well. He's not offensive or edgy or hyperactive, so it's actually kind of refreshing to listen to him sometimes.

Sometimes Ill catch his shows or he'll come on pandora etc, and its really relaxing. I think he's very funny but sometimes I find myself getting tired. Its probably a cadence thing or w/e.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

He was on that episode of CBB with Paul Rust and Jessica St. Clair. He was pretty funny, especially for a first time guest, and in the presence of such CBB pros.

NEW NO NO, IF YOUR GOING TO BE ON COMEDY BANG BANG, I GET TO LISTEN TO YOU DO STAND UP COMEDY

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah that's pretty bad. Might be different if it were funny, but that ad makes it pretty clear they're just exploiting the legacy of those comics.

Thats why its funny

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Asterios posted:

Yeah, but it's also not like NY. I've been doing comedy in LA for years, but there's just more mics per night in NY.

Also no one in LA wants to watch you be bad and get better.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The extended play ep is pretty great. The battle rap part 2 where pete holmes kedps calling him Meryl is hilarious.

Also if you really enjoyed it you can listen to the remix cd and get more traction out of the material

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Anthony Jeselnik is still good at standup, I can confirm.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

SKULE123 posted:

I'll be in LA for a Friday/Saturday/Sunday stint around April 5th. What are the best standup venues/shows to hit on those nights? Generally a pretty big podcast fiend and a regular Just For Laughs Montreal attendee. Anything I should arrange in advance or is it all show up and line up?

uhh sunday night show up to UCB really early to catch assssscat on sunday, like 6pm. I showed up at 645 a few weeks ago and missed getting in by like 10 people. But seriously, Its awesome every time.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Every time I think about HarmonTown, which ive never listened to, I picture Bill Lawrence and that makes me wanna like it and also never listen so as to not spoil it.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

I think Tosh is actually incredibly talented and original. Nothing like Dane Cook at all.

I mean, I can understand why you wouldn't like him, but that's unfair. Dane Cook is a joke, and a joke thief.

Dane's still funny, ive seen him do a couple unscheduled drop ins at the hollywood improv and he's been doing hilarious, honest stuff.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Oh well I was hipped to Kinane through Oswalt's website, not seeing him open for Patton. I live in Northern Canada so the only way I'll ever see Oswalt is in Toronto.

I'm super excited for Oswalt's new hour though, Finest Hour was great.

Please, please, please say you're from Winnipeg, Canada.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I am not. Thunder Bay.

Cheddar Bay??

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Eddie Murpy Raw is still my favorite stand up special of all time.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The_Rob posted:

I brought this up last time eddy Murphy raw was brought up, but watching it now is really really uncomfortable. Because he obviously has a real talent and charisma, but he seriously opens the show by saying he doesn't want to turn around to the audience because he is scared that a human being will gently caress him in the rear end and give him aids.

Like how do you even respond to that.

Its truly uncomfortable and terrible but the last half is still pretty terrific.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Kurt Metzger is the worst.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Was Metzger the guy who went off on the UCB Theatre without understanding what their ethos was?

yeah he was mad that he wasn't getting 20$ for 10 minutes of his act.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Funnier than his UCB meltdown was Besser and Ian Roberts doing a special I4H to dispel the idea that the theater is some cash cow for them. Like apparently they've operated at just above black for the entire time the theater has been open.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mst3kmann posted:

This. He came across as a total dick when he was on You Made It Weird and got into arguments with people in the comments section.

I liked his CC special but man, he comes off as wholly unlikable off stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

There's a reason you can see amazing comics at UCB doing stuff that you can't see anywhere else. The theater brings in not just a smart or savvy crowd, but devoted fans of comedy. $5 and $10 without a two drink minimum makes it so you can see multiple shows a week. And they offer totally free shows like the Sunday night "Asssscat" which gets a line that basically reaches to the Gelson's down Franklin.

Conversely, I could spend $20 on a ticket to the Improv or the Laugh Factory, spend another $15 on the 2 drinks, deal with lovely openers and mediocre crowds. That's not to say I haven't had a good time at a big club but I've felt like I haven't got my moneys worth plenty.

I've seen Sarah Silverman with a paper setlist checking off jokes that worked. I saw PFT accidentally waste a whole 10 minute set making fun of a drunk chick who made a piss poor attempt at heckling. UCB is just special, and that Kurt Metzger doesn't really get that kinda speaks volumes about him.