Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Stewart Lee's new two hour standup special "Carpet Remnant World" is the greatest deconstruction of comedy I've ever seen. He's probably an acquired taste, but anyone who's liked any of his previous material owes it to themselves to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ror posted:

I hear about his brilliance all the time and would love to give him a shot, but I haven't found any real good starting places. I've seen his bit about Top Gear that people link constantly and he seems witty and acerbic but I guess I don't see any glimmers of the genius people talk about. I'd like to assume he has much tighter material than that though.

41st Best Standup is probably the funniest one he's done overall, though not necessarily his best if that makes any sense. The whole of it is available on Youtube starting here. If you watch it all and still don't like him then you're probably not likely to enjoy the rest of his material, but his other standup specials are amazing and his show Comedy Vehicle is also really good even if the occasional sketch comedy bits were a bit lacking at times.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

escape artist posted:

Jeselnik's new set Caligula premieres on CC tonight!! at 10pm and 11pm Eastern, in his words "in case you miss something the first time from laughing too hard."

I'm excited!! He's rocketed to the top of my list of favorite new comedians.

I was looking forward to this for a while and it didn't disappoint. The first joke was one I'd head him tell before, though I'm not sure if it was from a previous special or if it was in a podcast episode somewhere. Everything else was solid new material, I'd give it a 9/10 overall.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

escape artist posted:

Yeah, I thought Shakespeare was better, but only by a slight margin. For me, it was 100% new material, and I loving loved it all. I loved how he got a standing ovation before he even said a word. The dude is my favorite new comic of the past 10 years, up there with Louis, Stanhope, Marc Maron and the other indisputably brilliant comics. Plus, he's really goddamn handsome. Tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, dark sense of humor... Hitler's ideal son.

However, I didn't quite get the Caylee Anthony joke at the end-- I'll admit, I was not sober, but I rewound it and watched it again and didn't understand it.

Was his niece, instead of is. Because she's dead.

Now it's funny because I explained it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

I don't know where to post about it (and don't want to make a whole thread in TVIV) but Kroll Show was hilarious and is worth your time.

How much of it is Nick Kroll doing impressions? It's weird to say it since doing characters is pretty much his main thing, but I don't actually like any of them and would prefer it if he would keep doing comedy as himself instead. If it's going to be 30 minutes of Fabrice Fabrice and Bobby Bottleservice I'll pass.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

escape artist posted:

I just don't get the Eddie Murphy specials. Maybe it's because I am queer, but I was really put off by how he used "human being" twice every line. It wasn't offensive because of that, it was offensive because it seemed so lazy.

Yeah, it's pretty hard to get past that. Everyone always says how Eddie Murphy is one of the greatest comedians of all time on account of his early standup, but even ignoring the potential for his language to be deemed offensive in a reactionary way it never seemed all that well crafted to me. I've seen Raw and the other ones people cite as examples all the time and they've all felt like flat comedy trying to get cheap laughs by being edgy. It's difficult to tell if people are just looking at it with rose-tinted glasses or if it was only funny at the time on account of being revolutionary or what.

Norbit was poo poo though. I'm sure of that much.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

You can say oval office as much as you want as long as you're Jim Jeffries.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I scored tickets to the Eric Andre show live December 3rd at the echo. Should be pretty nuts considering Eric Andre is nuts. I saw him recently at hot tub and he was hysterical. And I imagine his show live should be great. I'm also guessing Hannibal will be there too so of course that's always a plus.

I went to a live Eric Andre Show at the Fonda Theater in LA, which I'm pretty sure was the first one he ever did. Have fun laughing a bunch while also slightly fearing for your general sense of well-being. Gallagher was never quite so bold in directly assaulting his own audience.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

goldblums eyes posted:

So I bought Ari Shaffir's 'Paid Regular' special from CC Direct. I got about 20 minutes in and turned it off which I don't normally do. Am I alone in thinking it wasn't good at all? I saw him live a couple years ago and was entertained, but man. No bueno.

Any time I hear another comedian praising Shaffir's standup I just assume they're doing it for the sake of being polite. When I first heard about him I listened to "Revenge for the Holocaust," and don't remember laughing at a single joke in the whole thing. His material seems to consist entirely of semi-jokey proclamations of his own terrible opinions, while the audience kind of nervously chuckles at it in the same polite manner, then he follows it by a bunch of "am I right?" type qualifying statements to I guess pretend he doesn't actually believe the things he just said. It's real bad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Burnham is funny, and as far as I can tell the only reason people don't like him is because they think he's a "Youtube celebrity" like Pewdiepie or something. I'll echo the statement that I generally hate musical comedians, but he's good enough to overcome it.

Having actually watched Shaffir's new special now, I can say that it's at least better than Revenge for the Holocaust. Overall crude and not particularly funny, but there were at least a few points where I laughed whereas I can't remember doing that with his previous special. He still seems like he's trying too hard to get the audiences approval instead of just doing his material and letting people decide whether or not it's funny on their own, but he at least seems to have improved somewhat. I'd give it about a 3-4/10.

If nothing else, it made me realize that I haven't seen any truly great standup specials in a while. Bill Burr's newest is pretty solid, but since Stewart Lee released Carpet Remnant World back in 2012 that's kind of been my standard for amazing specials and nothing has really come close. It seems like there aren't really that many "greats" left doing it now that Carlin is dead, with the popular comedians like Ansari or Nanjiani being enjoyable but not really anything spectacular. Are there any genuinely amazing comedians still in the business that are flying under the radar for the most part? Lee, C.K, and Stanhope are probably the three people closest to reaching some kind of Carlin-grade quality at the moment.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm actually doing stand-up for the first time on Sunday and will hopefully have video of it. I've been writing stuff for two years, but I'm finally doing something about it. Is it ok if I post the video in here or is that frowned upon?

Probably more appropriate over in the Comedian thread in Creative Convention, though that sub-forum is a bit slow going. Good job actually having the nerve to get on stage.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I still live in the year 2009 and will be getting the special when I'm off work.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

And the choice of closer was a head-scratcher.

Haven't seen the new special yet, but CK has said in the past that he tends to open and close with his weakest material of the set so that he can force himself to maintain a standard of quality throughout any given special. I'm not sure how great of an idea that is in practice, since I know there has been at least one time in the past when I thought the closing joke wasn't that funny and left kind of a dull final impression to an otherwise great set.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kurt Metzger's White Precious was a really good 2014 standup special. Better than CK's, having watched it last night.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Metzger is sort of in the same camp as Tim & Eric for me. I like his comedy, but can easily see why other people wouldn't and completely accept that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Shovelbearer posted:

http://www.dailydot.com/news/kurt-metzger-harassment-lindy-west-sady-doyle/

Not very flattering, but like I said, I do think he's hilarious as a performer.

I thought people didn't like Kurt Metzger because of some dumb thing a long time ago where he was complaining about a club not paying comics enough. Reading that kind of puts things in perspective, though his newest special was still good regardless. Kind of seems like it might just be another case like Patton Oswalt where a comedian would be better off ignoring Twitter and all accompanying bullshit rather than indulging all of it over and over and making things worse.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Not sure there was really any controversy like with Metzger, but I recall him getting in a bunch of dumb Twitter fights in recent years that he took way too seriously. He also brings up some battle he had with Salon.com on a lot of podcasts, and generally seems to take too much interest in vitriol coming from sections of the internet that are garbage to begin with. Salon deserves about as much attention as the comments section of a Youtube video.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Brett Gelman is amazing and also might be a serial killer.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ror posted:

God loving drat it, Harris Wittels OD'd on heroin and died.

Well, that sucks. Thought he was moving towards sobriety after listening to his recent appearance on You Made It Weird, but I guess not.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

LP 5 - Over 45 Minutes of Crying
A full-hearted 45-minute cry-a-thon

Finally, a comedian who caters to my desires.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

Jeselnik's closing segment is amazing and his closing line even amazinger. Wholeheartedly recommend it.

That immediate cut to credits is the editing equivalent of a mic drop.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I hope they repair the PFT special and it gets an announcement because I missed it the first time around.

Last I checked, Comedy Central was going to the store for some duct tape and superglue so it shouldn't be long.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Spent most of my day at work thinking about the "AAAAaahhh, one feels like a duck splashing around in all this wet!" conversation. It has changed my life.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

David Cross reads his own audiobook, while accosting the listener for not just buying the book and actually reading it.

jyrka posted:

Interesting how many jokes and little quips are word-for-word ripped off from Stewart Lee. Also, can't believe he did the Schumer/Patrice sex positions joke. Otherwise solid effort I guess.

Haven't seen Carr's new standup, but the newest season of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle has been interesting. The first episode where Chris Morris directly points out that it's the worst season so far and asks him if it's intentional is incredible in retrospect now that 5/6 of the episodes have aired. The previous seasons are great and he's my favorite standup act, but I don't even know if I would recommend watching it since so much seems to be deliberately annoying, time wasting nonsense and jokes that don't actually work as jokes. Like the actual act is just a setup to have Morris berate him in the interview segments for producing something so terrible.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Holy poo poo Chris D'Elia's is awful.

Agreed. Gary Gulman has a special on Netflix at the moment, watch that instead.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

FetusSlapper posted:

Chris D'Elia is this generation's Pauly Shore.

I had no real opinion on Pauly Shore, then listened to him on a podcast (Fitzimmons?) and viscerally hated him as a human being in about five minutes. Guy is really unpleasant in general.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Metzger is the number one comedian for issues where I ultimately agree with him despite presenting his case in just about the worst possible way.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Megazver posted:

[url="https:///specials/netflix-announces-next-round-stand-specials-2016/"]Netflix announces its next round of stand-up specials for 2016[/url]

What's the general consensus on Russell Peters? He seems relatively popular, but I watched a standup special he did once and thought the entire thing was garbage. Maybe it's just super-subtle Canadian comedy or something but it came across as half-assed crowd work and I only finished watching it out of social obligations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is Michael Rapaport a comedian?

Yeah he's been around a long time. I remember watching one of his old Comedy Central Presents specials when I was a kid, then not hearing anything about him for over a decade until Louis CK cast him as an obnoxious rear end in a top hat cop in an episode of his show.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You're thinking of someone else. He mentioned on WTF that he did stand-up very briefly cus his stepdad was Bud Friedman, but he's just a successful character actor. It's too bad he comes off as such a jerk on his podcast because I've always loved his acting and his A Tribe Called Quest documentary was fantastic.

Huh. Just looked up his career and he doesn't have a Comedy Central Presents at all. Guess I've been mixing him up with some comedian I saw ~15 years ago and can't think of who it would actually be.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

GoldfishStew posted:

Comics see ghosts all the time it's a well known comic thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoNb_bswHa0

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Not Operator posted:

Whos's on stage? Nihilist political Frankie or more "What's the actual most hosed up thing I can say" Frankie?

Having just listened to it, both at the same time. It's really good, well worth downloading.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

oh that thing people have been talking about for years but for some reason never actually got taken seriously.

There was a counter-rumor to the open secret saying it was a practical joke in the comedy circuit to accuse comedians of jerking off in front of women, and CK was just the most recent person accused of it essentially at random. I don't know how widespread it was, but people are inclined to believe hand-wavey explanations like that if they find out one of their heroes is accused of something like this. Notaro bringing it up as a serious issue and CK's refusal to answer any questions about it after the Weinstein story broke had me thinking he was going to face a reckoning sometime soon.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Powaqoatse posted:

where is this from?

it sounds like it could be his voice but i think im still subscribed to his website emails and i havent gotten an email or seen it anywhere else

A statement he released to the New York Times.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Comedians who seem like they would be nice people:
John Mulaney
Pete Holmes
Mike Birbiglia

Those are the only ones I can think of, the rest are all hosed up in one way or another.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Megazver posted:

Jeselnik tells the jokes about, like, child murder from a persona of a very glib sociopath but there is a very conscious awareness that hey, I know and you know that poo poo is hosed up and that's why you're laughing and it's all very much a performance.

Shaffir is mostly just like haha that lesbian oval office was fat, what a fat armless oval office amirite and it's not even... funny, even if you have a huge tolerance for rear end in a top hat humor.

I listened to his album "Revenge for the Holocaust" a few years ago and specifically remember not laughing a single time. Didn't really know who he was at the time so I wasn't biased going in, he's just not a good comedian.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

piratepilates posted:

Ok I overestimated how well known this was.

https://youtu.be/TKZ2PKQ21UM

Wow. This is the sort of thing where even if you're not going to file a police report, you break off all contact and warn everyone you know about him.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

There are many good reasons to cancel Ari Shaffir, I honestly don’t get why this would be one of them.

I sort of get where you're coming from and MDMA is probably one of the less serious drugs to dose someone with if it's going to happen, but it's clearly over the line and Shaffir obviously doesn't give a poo poo after the fact even with a room of people telling him it was a seriously hosed up thing he did. Bert can be fat and drunk all he wants if it's a result of his own decisions, drugging someone without their knowledge or consent and then making jokes about it afterwards is some genuine scumbag behavior that goes beyond just a bad prank.

Saying this as someone who's done MDMA multiple times and thinks it's a great drug all things considered. Would still be extremely pissed off if one of my friends did what Ari did and would almost certainly never speak to them again.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Nick DiPaolo was trash 20 years ago when I was watching the old Comedy Central Presents episodes an he's trash now. Least surprising thing ever to see that this is how he spends his time these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

escape artist posted:

been planning to check out that Eddie Pepitone special myself

Watched it last night, it's great.