Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I love stand-up. Throughout my life I have become interested in hundreds of things, and eventually moved on from one thing to another. Stand-up comedy has been one of the few thing that have really stuck with me. This thread is to talk about our favorite comics, discuss the art of comedy, and if you are a comic, feel free to talk about your experiences, trials, and tribulations.
This is a thread to discuss comedians, but please don't just post a bunch of names and a joke or two. Put some effort in.
ALSO! I'd like to use the second post as sort of a NMD location for upcoming specials, albums, shows, etc. So if you have news about such things, post it and I will try my best to keep it up to date.

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Placeholder for albums n stuff!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Well this is a bummer. Patrice O'Neal died.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It doesn't matter if it's good for comedy or bad for comedy or whatever. If a comic doesn't want to have their poo poo recorded, and askes someone not to do it, you act like a polite adult and respect that.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I don't know that Gervaise is revered in America. He hosted the Golden Globes a few times and was "shocking", but it's not like he's known for his stand -up.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Got in a twitter argument with Doug Benson about Uganda today. Wasn't expecting that.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The hair metal analogy is stupid because weird alternative comedy has been around forever and will always be around as long as there are people with a weird sense of humor.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A FANTASTIC two hours.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah PFT's was recorded in October.

Seems like it's gonna be a good year for specials. Chris Hardwick did his earlier this year, Garfunkle and Oates just did theirs, and apparently Kumail Nanjiani (who is awesome and yall should check him out) is prepping his hour. And TJ Miller's Mash-Up is filming now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

PFT has probably become less of a character the more he's done comedy. Check out his first CC half hour to see him in full on pompous fancy mode.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I went on a little bit of a comedy album buying spree. I bought both of Jonah Ray's EPs, Matt Braunger's Soak Up The Night, Jimmy Pardo's Pompous Clown, John Mulaney's The Top Part, and Pete Holmes' Impregnated With Wonder. They are all good, but John Mulaney's and Pete Holmes' are so funny it's crazy. Anyone got some more suggestions.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Way ahead of you guys on the second John Mulaney and Kyle Kinane.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

dik-dik posted:

Yeah Tig Notaro is the best I don't know what's wrong with the rest of you folks.

Dane Cook's joke rely entirely on his delivery. Nothing he's ever said has ever been funny or amusing, but the way he says it tricks a lot of people into laughing.

On a different note, is Paul F Tompkins' recent stuff better than his old stuff? I sat through his first Comedy Central Presents special last night and laughed, on the whole, maybe once, and I think that was out of obligation more than amusement. I haven't seen anything else he's done, and before I waste any more of my time it would be cool to know if I'm in for more of the same or something different.

It absolutely is. I'm a huge PFT fanboy, and I didn't even like his first half hour.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

A similar thing happened to me at the Doug Benson show I went to. Brendon Walsh came up first and KILLED, and then Doug came out, read from his loving twitter feed longer than he did any material, did a half assed LMG, and that was it. Really disappointing, as LA dudes don't seem to make it out here very often.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DerbyTime!!! posted:

I went to an open mic tonight and it was free and very fun. Go to open mics and support people, basically everything about it is great.

Oh yeah, this reminds me. I went to an open mic a couple weeks ago, and did my first 5 minutes! It was terrifying and I was so nervous that I completely forgot a chunk, but I'm definitely going to do it again.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DannoMack posted:

Let's share stories of our first open mic experiences instead of rapetalk!

Anyone else?

-I set myself a goal to do my first open mic before my birthday, and managed to get in on the very last one I could.
-I only told my best friend to come because I knew he wouldn't bullshit me about how I did.
-I sat in my car outside for half an hour before and almost bailed because I was convinced all my jokes were terrible.
-As the guy before me was finishing up, my heart started beating so fast that I thought I was having a heart attack.
-I couldn't hear anyone laughing, but after listening to my recording of it, I got a few laughs. It probably helped that most of the people before me were terrible.

In other news, Matt Braunger's stand-up special is on CC tonight at 11. Matt Braunger is part of a crew of guys who came up in Chicago who are pretty much all great, including TJ Miller, Kyle Kinane, Hannibal Burress, Kumail Nanjiani, Pete Holmes, etc. and is hilarious. Y'all should check it out.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TJ's special was the best one I saw last year. I think he's just swell.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Sporadic posted:

The really jaded part of me

You mis-typed "crazy".

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

New Kyle Kinane special TONIGHT on Comedy Central at 11 EST!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know this isn't the right thread for a podcast question, but I have no idea which of the many podcast threads to ask in.

I only recently discovered Paul F. Tompkins, catching an older half-hour special of his on HBO Go. It was more of an extended monologue or a one-man show than typical stand-up, him at a "bar," mostly talking about drinking. It isn't the usual kind of comedy I seek out, but I enjoyed it enough, and I know he is held in very high esteem by comedy nerds. I know he does a ton of different podcasts, but apparently he does some in character as Ice-T, with the voice and everything? My wife and I ironically love Ice-T on Law and Order: SVU and crack up over John Mulaney's bit about his character, so I'd love to hear Tompkins' Ice-T impression.

And aside from that, what else do I absolutely NEED to listen to or watch?

Listen to at least Impersonal. It's so good.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ariza posted:

Ugh.

Has anyone been following Amy Schumer's show? I watched the first three episodes and started to find it tedious, despite loving her standup. Does it get any better? I do like Comedy Central giving all the funny comics out there shows. I'd say it ranks thusly (new shows): The Kroll Show>Nathan for You>Legit>Inside Amy Schumer>Jeselnik's thing>The Ben Show(I really tried, I like him)>Jeff Ross' dumb show.

The couple episodes of Ben Show I watched seemed like they were halfway into the creative process and then were all of a sudden made to film what they had.

Also, isn't Legit an FX show?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DangerDummy! posted:

I asked this in the Netflix thread, but I want to get the point of view of the stand-up fans.

If I was going to recommend this film to anyone, I guess it'd be you guys. But it is not good.

He seems to possess some self-awareness, and I get the feeling that much of the movie is meant to be self deprecating, but if it is, he's just so, so bad at it. I know he's been a feature performer in the Gathering of the Juggalos Fresh-rear end Comedy Tent, so the guy's got chops, but any clip they show of him doing stand-up, he is unfunny and bombing very badly.

I agree that the part dealing with actual hecklers at a show was pretty decent, but the rest was terrible. The only time I was on his side for the rest was when he was talking to the internet critic, and only because that guy was an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

Also the part where Uwe Boll proves his movies are good by beating people up was a real eye opener.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Glad to see I didn't misjudge Kurt Metzger.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Everyone who hates lovely comedians owes it to themselves to read Dan Nainan's terrible and hilarious obviously self written Wikipedia page.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So did anyone see the Cosby special?

Beef Jerky Robot fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 28, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Kyle Kinane's new special airs on the 23rd and I couldn't be more excited.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I haven't heard her album and it's obviously no excuse for lovely comments but I have literally never heard her talk about anything else.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I feel like I should just listen to the album, as the only material I've heard was on PYHT and I wasn't a fan. I guess I shouldn't judge her based on that alone.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

So I listened to Cameron Esposito's album, and it's pretty good. Basically all my criticisms of her PYHT work were addressed, and the itunes comments are totally overblown. 7.5/10, would listen again.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yet another amazing Kyle Kinane special.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

do they define you

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

https://twitter.com/pftompkins/status/570659270896660481

New PFT album later this year apparently. Unless it's like the pod f tompkast.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It's crazy how good kyle kinane is. All three of his specials are totally excellent.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Be sure to troll the audience

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wasn't that Jamie Kennedy?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Is Michael Rapaport a comedian?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

"Great impressions, no jokes"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

RIP to the sycophant power hour podcast

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Honestly I’ve never seen an “As a future father...” deflection before, cutting edge stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He successfully used social media before most other comics and grew his audience through that

Also his first album was good, for the time at least, I don’t think I’ve heard it in a decade.