Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Howdy posted:

Just watched "I Am Comic" a few weeks ago, and Gaffigan complained (complained is probably the wrong word, since he seems to consider it a compliment to be recognized) that people will just yell HOOOOOOOT POCKET at him on the street, and he doesn't really know how to respond to that. Sounded like he didn't really want to have that be his "git 'er dun"

He talks about it a little on the interview he did for Marc Maron's podcast. He said it was just one bit among many in his act and he was baffled as to why it was that one people latched on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Bill Burr trashes Alternative Comedy (from his podcast):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQmzbmV7j0

I rarely go to see live comedy so I don't know anything about the scene, this is pretty interesting. I've heard Marc Maron talk about this before, too. He phrased it like "Comedians playing to a room full of comics"

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Space_Butler posted:

I WANT to understand what he's talking about but he gives no solid examples or scenarios, so I can't be totally sure who he's directing this at. He also namedrops David Cross but most people today would consider his act something that the alternative and hipster crowd is drawn to. Does that inadvertedly make David Cross the target of this rant? Who knows, because he didn't say one solid point. That was a lot of loose rambling that sounded like the kind of thing you think up at 3 in the morning and go "oh poo poo, Im gonna write this down and go into this deeper tomorrow", then you wake up and half forget what you were talking about.

He's saying alternative comedy rooms are too safe of a space and that alternative comedians dont build up the skillset that club comics do. He complains that alternative comedians just blame it on the crowd when they bomb in mainstream rooms. He also complains that alternative comedians think club comics are a bunch of hacks. He goes on to say that that grandaddies of the Alt Comic movement, such as David Cross, were and are beastly club comics in their own right who would kill in mainstream rooms.

Rub the sleep outta yer eyes before you listen to youtubes

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 29, 2012

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Space_Butler posted:

Still, the fact you put actual sentences that people can look at and respond to is a lot better than something that amounts to a public pm. In discussions like these, there's no such things as "things that shouldn't need to be explained". It shouldn't need to be explained that you don't talk or film poo poo during a set and yet that was a huge thing just a few months ago.

Edit: Whoops, realized my quick googling resulted in me linking to the response article by Dave Anthony. Oh well, it was a funny read anyway.

I also still feel that, I don't care how offended a human being is, both the comedian and the audience flat out don't give a poo poo and don't want them disrupting a set for it. Take the disgust and leave. By all means, they can blog about it as their chosen outlet of outrage, but it's disruptive to literally everyone else in the room. If the joke or topic is that bad that many people feel this way, it'll bomb and the comedian will just fail on his own. But there's really no excuse for causing a scene. It's not going to change anyone's mind in the room. If anything, it'll make people hate the heckler and their opinions further, whereas before maybe over time as some members of the audience reflect on it they might realize what a hosed up thing they were laughing at. Anything's possible.

I'm tired of this idea that everyone's opinions need to be heard at all times in all venues. No they loving don't. If you don't like a movie, leave. Don't make a loving scene yelling about how lovely it is. If you don't enjoy a comedian or they offend you, just go. Heckling has been around for decades, but I think it's been bolstered by people thinking their opinions are worth more due to social media's rise in popularity. Unless the ticket you pay for says anything about a Q&A or open discussion, no matter how vile or offensively unfunny it gets, shut the gently caress up or leave. Anything else is a violation of the social contract that most people abide by.

Yeah, she was wrong for interrupting the show. The question is where you draw the line when a comedian pounds a heckler. The same line of upset super duper tough guy harsh talk
in your post can apply to the Kramer situation

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
norm guested on a bunch of podcasts in the past few months promote his new book, so you can listen to those if you want some more norm. he did like two hours on the nerdist