Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I haven't heard any of Gaffigan's stuff but this seems like a good time to check him out on principle. If 2 comedians have big success with this in a row it could maybe start a thing :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Great news to wake up to! Had no idea Aziz Ansari was planning this but I can't wait for the download to finish.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Am I just a weirdo if I think that he looks good regardless? Irony's not a thing and it's okay to like stuff for real.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaptain K posted:

Disingenuousness as a tool for comedy bothers me. The best comedy is sincere and genuine in my opinion.

PFT aside this is a pretty pretentious sounding thing and while your honesty is awesome I don't know if I support making GBS threads on people because their style is not your favorite - it's somebody's favorite. Not everything has to be meant for you. Some of the best comedy is sincere and genuine I agree, but there are plenty of things which are hilarious and insincere.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pete Holmes is a delight and so is his podcast, You Made It Weird. He talks w/ mostly comedians about their background, relationships, and philosophy/religion/spirituality/atheism as the last topic. Dude rules.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like Kathy Griffin. There, I said it.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

indigi posted:

Just to name the ones I've seen live in the past few months: Cameron Esposito, Chelsea Peretti, Erin Foley, Jackie Kashian, Nikki Glaser, Sarah Schaefer, Natasha Leggero

I can't believe I didn't say Chelsea Peretti. I can't believe we all didn't say Chelsea Peretti. What's wrong with us.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I liked Comedian, and I also liked that Orny came off as a bit desperate and defensive. I'd expect that most people who are starting out as comedians act that way and so it seems to me that as a representation of "newer comedian" he's a perfectly normal example. And in that way he provides contrast w/ Seinfeld - they're both doing exactly the same task, coming up with an hour. Of course the younger guy's more insecure, but it's cool to see that Seinfeld has pretty much the same insecurities, but knows pretty much exactly what to do about them. It's been a while since I watched the movie so I may just be making poo poo up, though!

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went to an open mic tonight and it was free and very fun. Go to open mics and support people, basically everything about it is great.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Al! posted:

In a society which constantly works to strip away women's person-hood, women talking about themselves and their identities isn't supposed to be funny or interesting because they're not supposed to be people but objects to be desired and possessed.

This seems pretty sad and true and sucks :(

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aahahahha thanks, I decided on Monday that I'm putting my name in for a chance at time at an open mic (1st time) on Sunday, and I just read your post, realized today was Saturday, did some subtraction and had a little baby panic attack :toot:

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's one of the best stories I've ever heard, I don't blame you.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Follow @DuncanTrussell, @PeteHolmez, @ChelseaVPeretti, @nottjmiller, @littleesther

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ariza posted:

You guys are the best. It's hard finding people I like who actually send stuff out enough to care about.

Is TJ Miller funny? I thought I saw him on an episode of Funny as Hell and it wasn't very good. His voice is very distinct though.

I'm not sure he fits my personal sense of humor all that well,but I'm a dumb idiot. I found his episode of Pete Holmes' podcast you made it weird fascinating and liked the one Conan spot of his that I've seen since. He cracks me up on Doug Loves Movies, too.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Al! posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for him.

A pun? How dare you. How great would it be if 5 guys just raped your eye out right now?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Like every comedian I follow on Twitter has been talking about how amazing her set was yesterday. Thanks for the link, I was wondering what it was about.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It sounds like she ought to be on next week's How Was Your Week :stare:

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I did 3 minutes at an open mic tonight and this is the best day ever. Thanks to everyone who posted good advice type words in this thread :dance:

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hating on things is the easiest/laziest form of comedy and everyone on the internet wants to be funny. Then it's just a natural arms race of who can say the sickest burn until you end up with thing X being the worst anything ever and everyone who likes X is human garbage and I hope X catches aids and falls in a river.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

manyak posted:

Can anyone explain what the gently caress is supposed to be funny about Sam Kinison?

It seems to me likely to be one of those things where it's dependent upon being shocking in a way that it was then but isn't now. It's not a bad thing, but it's not as hilarious to me as I imagine it is for older people who can remember what the public discourse context was like when Kinison was performing. Or maybe I'm dumb.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LesterGroans posted:

I agree with everything you've said here except for the implication that some people may not find Carlin funny in today's world.

Yep, this. Early Carlin sure, not everyone's as goofy as me, but Carlin's 'newer' stuff was incredible and I don't understand not loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Makes sense, I guess I just found my blind spot.