Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Definitely recommend Stanhope. He goes into tangents and doesn't stick to a set.

I've seen him a few times, and I laugh my rear end off every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For anyone who's a fan of Mike Birbiglia, his movie "Sleepwalk With Me" is up on Netflix instant now. I enjoyed it, even though I knew the story from his stand up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Saw the Oddball festival last night and Chappelle spent the first 10 minutes making fun of himself for the Hartford incident. He said "When I got home I said to myself 'Ohhhh poo poo...I pulled a reverse Kramer'. But seriously, you guys have no idea how hard it is getting heckled by a bunch of dudes with crocodiles on their shirt."

It was a genuinely great performance. Some scripted stuff, but a lot of off the cuff remarks as well. He really is a great comedian, it's just a shame he has some issues. :(

On the other hand, I am a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and they were TERRIBLE (Detroit show if anyone wants to agree/disagree). I really think you have to be a fan of theirs to "get" them and their style. But they didn't make it any easier on the people who hadn't heard them before by choosing a bizarre setlist. They have a lot of pretty easily accessible songs (The Humans Are Dead is one that I think pretty much anyone can appreciate the humor in), but they did songs like "Song for Sally" and a really bizarre version of Rhymenoceros vs Hiphopopotamus.

I'd say they were pretty much universally panned last night, but there was a dude behind me that was REALLY into it and laughing obnoxiously loud, including a constant sputtering laugh, and a loud "YES!!!! I LOVE THIS SONG!" with every song. Weird.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Did the venue/promoters make any effort to tell the crowd not to heckle or were you guys just a better crowd? I heard the immediate show after Hartford had to put up signs and the show went off without a hitch.

Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth had some funny Tweets about the incident. Called the Hartford arena the worst venue in the country and said a promoter told her that it only sells out for DMB and Pearl Jam.

Yeah, they announced to the crowd that they couldn't heckle, and weren't allowed to have cell phones out, etc.

The Berzerker posted:

I am a big fan of FOTC but I think you have to see them in the right circumstances. This festival seems like the worst sort of place to see them, I've seen them twice and once it was in a huge venue and it was just horrible. The first time I saw them was in a small venue and it was amazing.

Yup, I agree. I saw them in a much smaller venue before and they were great. Big, outdoor festival, not their best environment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The morning people in my city are sorta irritating, but it's more "Referring to everything with a modicum of popularity as great and being mindless cheerleaders", which I at least understand, because making radio as non challenging as possible has been around forever, and it's a formula that works. Judging by what Kurt said, I'd be begging for my local morning DJ's after maybe 20 minutes of Mancow.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mancow. He came to Detroit radio at the exact perfect time for me, where I was turning into a Republican rear end in a top hat myself and I began listening to talk radio for the first time as I entered my 20s.

I loved his show and never missed it, having a warehouse job where I listened to the radio 8 hours a day. As I became a bit more jaded and bit less sheltered, I realized all his bits were staged...I mean, I knew a lot of them were, but it turned out pretty much *ALL* were fake. Then he began to grate on me. Now I can't listen to him, but I can't hate him because he did get me into talk radio.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Jim Jeffries loving killed it in Royal Oak tonight.

I was at that show!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Trujillo posted:

Speaking of stand up in SE Michigan, Jen Kirkman is coming to Pontiac next month. I'm worried though because it's at the Crofoot. Last time I was there was for Chelsea Peretti and a guy on the balcony kept taking flash photos over and over and security didn't seem to care or they were just really really slow because it went on for a while and then a lady in the other balcony started screaming at the photo guy to "go back to Birmingham." That and it was February and they had a door that went outside and was right next to the stage open the whole time so it was freezing. Is it always really bad there?

I've never seen a comedy show there, but the concerts are usually pretty cool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oddball Festival line up is nice this year. Detroit gets Aziz, Amy Schumer, Jeselnik, Jeff Ross, TJ Miller, and more.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

XIII posted:

It's okay. Not his best (and he repeats a few bits from earlier specials), but worth the watch.

In other news, this week I will be seeing and working with a bunch of great comics, including Matt Braunger, Ron Funches, Brody Stevens, Sean Patton, Rory Scovel, and Anthony Jeselnik.

I liked it. Basically if you like Demitri Martin you know what you're getting. Nothing surprising or way out there, but good and funny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Bill Burr's new Netflix cartoon is a lot better than I expected. Its tone reminds me of King of the Hill.

I watched the first episode and wasn't super impressed. It seems like it's trying to actually BE King of the Hill. The blonde neighbor seems like a fusion of Matthew McConaughay and Boomhauer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

If I never saw it, that line would make me want to watch it. I love the realism of the storylines so far. You can tell that putting a magnet on Dad's new TV was something that actually scarred Bill or his co-creator when they were kids. Plus I like the setting. Outside of Freaks and Geeks, there's not too many shows set during the 70s/80s Rust Belt era.

Yeah I only watched the first episode and wasn't super impressed, but feedback seems positive so I'll watch the rest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah we saw Norm last year in Michigan and he got DRUNK. The show was good, but he began rambling like crazy and ended up going for like three hours before finally saying good night and stumbling off stage.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I saw the Freedumb Tour live and talked to him after the show. He's definitely a drinker, and he said he hated Bill Hicks which made me sad. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Legit is a pretty decent show to check out if you haven't already. It's essentially his act turned into a FX series, but I found it pretty enjoyable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But yea there's a reason 'I like his old stuff better' is a meme at this point when talking about comics anything.

FTFY. "The sequel wasn't as good as the original" "I preferred the book" "The remake is pretty awful" "Their new album doesn't sound as good as their first album (usually said by people referring to the second or third album, as the first 1-2 are obscure)" "Your dad was a better lover than you" etc, etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Star Man posted:

Christopher TItus is trending on Twitter and I don't really know why. What's his beef with Terrence K. Williams?

https://twitter.com/TitusNation/status/1258267381354295297

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Laterite posted:

I love Pete Holmes

I don't care how weird he is, his Batman videos on College humor are still hilarious every time I watch them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gervais himself did some interview a few months back about how he wanted to get canceled from it. The whole thing feels like a cheap publicity push. The clip they put online is so tired, he acts like he’s original for coming up with concepts that have been worn into the ground over the last 20 years ago.

Yeah I heard him on a podcast talking about just this. The topic of the podcast was cancelling celebrities, of course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Riptor posted:

wait, ricky gervais is an atheist?

I assume you're kidding, it's a huge part of his personality

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrxZtCuWL4E

I am absolutely loving mouth agape at this clip. I’ve been a Dave Attell super fan since Insomniac came on as I was a teen. He’s among one of the most influential comics (and probably the comedian whose voice was most copied by other less talented comics) and HOLY poo poo seeing his handsome face isn’t half as weird as hearing his voice completely devoid of growl or gravel. Dave pre-alcohol & cigarettes is almost a completely different person. If not for the exact same cadence of delivery I’d be skeptical it was Dave at all. The only other comic I can think of who changes this later in life is maybe Louis CK.

This is crazy because a lot of these jokes are his staples and I'm used to the Dave I know telling them but with a different cadence. Mind freak.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've only seen him online, don't know much about him, but David Arnold died (54).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

If you like Neal Brennan, his new special is amazing. Similar to 3 mikes, just as funny. Just as deep.

Hah! I was coming to this thread to post the same thing. I really didn't know much about him but I really enjoyed his special, it might be in my top 5 that came out this year

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

XIII posted:

Nate Bargatze's Full Time Magic is my favorite clean special

Yeah Nate is great and his humor is totally PG-13. One of my favorite comics right now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Nate is great and really doesn't rely on dirty jokes or swearing. Dude has his daughter introduce him heh.

I was watching some older clips and man he was hilariously gumpy when he was younger

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bert Kreischer's movie "The Machine" is on VOD. Did anyone watch it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man Michelle Wolf's new special/series is hysterical. I was crying laughing a few times.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If we want to talk stand ups that got lost in their personas...

efb

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 1, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I even forget who the 4th dude was.

Ron White is legit a funny dude.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

My dad who was originally from a small town in Pennsylvania but moved to Michigan to work for Chrysler loved it. It "spoke to him" even though he wasn't in that demographic AT ALL anymore. My mom had books by Foxworthy.

That was really the time where catch phrase comedy was huge, people wanted to hear GIT ER DONE rather than listening to Bill Hicks talk about George Bush.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

skeletronics posted:

I watched The Road Dog starring Doug Stanhope. Thought it was excellent. It's about comedy, but is not a comedy movie. It did get a couple laughs out of me, as well as some actual tears. I'd heard Stanhope say in a podcast that if you've read Sam Tallent's book Running the Light, it's essentially the same story and it is. (That book is also excellent, incidentally.)

Most of the bits of stand up we do see Doug's character perform in the movie did come straight from his old acts so if you're a Stanhope fan, those parts will be familiar.

Anyway, it's worth watching. I'd recommend it to any fan of stand up.

Also Greg Fitzsimmons is in it and I got to tell my girlfriend "Oh remember we saw him in the parking lot of that pizza joint" because covid made comedy weird for a while.

I just watched it and agree. It's definitely not a funny movie to watch looking for something light, it's a heavy movie. Near the end I thought "Wow they wrapped that up a bit too quickly and neatly, everyone's happy now huh". Then "Ah, I see, I wonder how they'll resolve this?" And then "...oh, they don't resolve it." Man what a dark ending, but I'm glad he ended it that way. Makes the movie feel realer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Any good new specials out on Netflix or YouTube?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Certainly not Chapelle's. More tiresome talk about trans people and being 'cancelled'. Even the people who usually get angry at this sort of thing can't muster up the energy to get angry about it any more. The surest sign that you've lost the juice as a comedian is when you spend half the time talking about famous people that you know.

It's no surprise to see Gervais walk the same ground, though in his case it's like being cornered by that Uncle you used to think was funny but watches too much conservative news so now all his 'bits' are just spiteful.

Yeah I've been a bit more lenient on Chappelle than others since I like to let comedians get a bit of a free pass since it's comedy, but his latest special is just boring. He does the thing where he tries to tell a deep emotional story, but it just comes across as being extremely non genuine. And his trans humor wasn't even clever, it was just "HA I'm gonna get yelled at again TRANS TRANS TRANS"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

d0grent posted:

just lol if you werent reading 300 books a day every day when you were 8

I was a little freak when I was in 2nd grade and read at a high school level, was reading probably 4 books a week. And that was crazy excessive.

Luckily my reading level stayed at 10th grade and now I'm just dumb

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

escape artist posted:

Sam Tallent's special is stellar. The Toad's Morale, on YT

Watching this right now, it's fuckin great!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Will, you just made the list

https://vxtwitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1745293052657492262

I find this especially offensive because I loved George's work. But I can only imagine what his loved ones think (aside from Kelly who already condemned it)

Yeah holy poo poo, I never really liked Will Sasso but this is absolute bullshit. AI is going to cause a lot of problems in the creative world.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Oh hell yes. I saw this twice live and it's one of the best one-person shows I've seen. Really great exploration of a single theme with tangents, I second this recommendation wholeheartedly.

Oh man I'm watching it now and she's great.

But I'm getting exhausted, her energy level is off the charts

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I thought the idea was they fed AI Carlin specials, then used the generated material to write a special

That's what they said originally but I'm pretty sure it's been proven that it was written by the one dude and then AI was used to get Carlin to say everything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKlXRfefpdA

He also just uploaded the video recording of Trampoline in a Ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This might be my favorite of his specials. I laughed hysterically. The whole cat story was magic.