Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I'm thinking about going to Bridgetown this year. Has anyone been before and have thoughts on it i.e. great idea to go see all of your favorite stand-up acts or am I better avoiding crowds and just flying out to LA some random weekend and catching who's in various rooms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

His next hour in 15 years will be something

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I've liked him on TV where I thought it was just a bit that he was playing a total tool in every role but nope I guess he's just a huge wad

Watch some clips on Youtube of him at comedy clubs. I swear, half of the time is literally him laughing at his own jokes. That's more annoying than the base lovely material.

And he's decent on Ten Minute Podcast where he just gets to sit around and be an rear end in a top hat.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I would rather a comedian evolve and have a set they feel passionate about even if it don't like it as much, rather than having one I like do literally the same kind of material for 30 years. That's how you get Jeff Foxworthy and Jeff Dunham.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I'd been avoiding listening to the set and I just pulled the Parkland clip so I could not talk out of my rear end.

Man . . . as everyone said, it's a loving lazy joke that only work for anyone because you have Louis' intonation and delivery on it. I'll admin it got a mild "heh" out of me but it's not like I have any desire to even hear it again. This is basically someone's hot take tweet done in a funny voice.

What happened at Parkland is horrible. I 100% think we need extensive gun reform in the country. But you show a good, well constructed Parkland joke and I'll laugh. You have options that are way better than this. Maybe "I feel like David Hogg is doing all this activism not to change the country's mind on gun violence but to get over the chip on his shoulder from years of people calling him David Penis."

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Odddzy posted:

I love Chapelle, I find him quite competent at introspection and he's got an interesting point of view when it comes to race inequality and justice. Although he has some backwards ideas on trans identity I believe he isn't completely malicious with it (There's no way for me of being sure, but all i've got is my gut as I've never met the man).

I don't think many people find it malicious. More that after being called out on it he doubled down and--I don't remember exactly what he said in the second special so I'm majorly generalizing--he effectively pulled the transphobic version of "look I don't have any problem with gay people but two dudes kissing THAT IS GROSS I DON'T GET THAT poo poo".

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I'm not defending the others, but would you shut the gently caress up? Every single one of your posts is a half sentence "lol ok you <fox news watcher / nazi / etc > person, am i rite". We get it, you have the moral high ground.

Unless you're doing a bit where you're actually aping Louis by hitting the lowest common denominator humor, in which case you're a genius.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

100% agreed on Tom Segura. Bert Kreischer's another good one who's getting a little more notice lately it seems. Beyond that, I'm more going by your 2014 cutoff date and even though they had stuff at the time all of John Mulaney / Kyle Kinane / Matt Braunger are still going strong with new specials pretty regularly and it's all still top quality. I'll admit to being a little spotty myself as far as legitimately new names to name from the past few years.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

In addition to self awareness it also ties into a desire for self-improvement/growth. It's one thing to be self-aware and that's it, it's another to be self-aware and show you have the capacity to learn and evolve. I'm sure Burr has some locked in old crank views, but he's definitely more on the later side. Contrast that with say Dave Chappelle who as recently as his last specials was still firmly in the former camp with "look I respect you gay and trans people trying to change my mind but MAN THAT poo poo GROSS" or whatever it was (that I'm massively oversimplifying).

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Odddzy posted:

a funny thing with burr was how he said in his first special he wouldn't ever get a dog. in the next special he had a dog and said he'd never get married. In the next special he had a dog, was married and said he'd never have a kid in this current world because he's too old, etc... in the newest special he has a dog, a wife and a daughter. As much of a crank that he portrays himself to be, he also does want to improve and bring positivity in his life. I like the fact that although he's negative about a lot of things, he wants to improve himself.

Pretty much the exact Patton Oswalt trajectory as well if you listen to his entire catalog.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Jeremy Lin

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

red19fire posted:

What did he do now? I saw he had Milo on his podcast to talk about ‘the subtle art of trolling’ recently.

Tweeted (paraphrasing) "Kobe lived 23 years too long, he's a piece of poo poo rapist, lol forgot to fill up the gas on his helecopter"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I thought it was fine, some good parts but some incredibly lazy. White people don’t like masks what about klan masks SO CLEVER. And yes I know that comedians can take worn out jokes and use their own inflection/voice to improve them but this really was just low hanging fruit.

Him smoking on stage was absolutely pretentious though.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

“New” business model I hadn’t seen before: Patreon that only charges when specific content is released. I saw Sam Morril drop a new special (https://www.patreon.com/sammorril) that has segments from him doing a bunch of different rooftop shows during the pandemic and it’s great. He releases a regular special on YouTube earlier in the year and that’s enough for me to leave myself subbed because I know if he drops another full length special it’ll be really good.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Piquai Souban posted:

D’Elia sorta confessing through his character in Workaholics remains fascinating to me.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dave Chappelle sitting in his mansion, not having to interact with anyone in society that he doesn’t want to. Still mad about trans people existing.

“Man, you know who needs my support? A white British billionaire. SHE’S the real victim in all this.”

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Reminder that this was all because people were being mean to Goat boy

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Absolutely in agreement, and for anyone thinking about watching it’s called “Jerrod Carmichael: Rothaniel” on HBO MAX. and I’d say don’t look up anything else about it. It’ll feel so much more raw/real if you go in blind.

But to echo: it’s funny as poo poo.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I really want to meet the person that image is for. It doesn’t bother/trigger/annoy me, it’s just stupid and unfunny. The only other reaction that would be ok is a single “heh” and then it leaves your mind.

But who’s the person seeing that and audibly laughing going “OH MAN YOU GOT EM, RICKY” and then running to share it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

We don't have to talk about Gervais anymore, because Norm's last special just dropped on Netflix today and that's all anyone should be posting about. I'm barely into it, but the flight attendant bit had me doubled over.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

No kid in 2022 watches a full set for any comic at all, and anyone hooked into that is a decaying Boomer.

You’re totally right. Last comedian I went and saw do standup, every other joke someone stood up and announced “THAT ONE SUCKED” and left the room until there was nobody left by the end.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Anyone who likes Tom Green should watch “LOL: Canada”, one of the many country specific offshoots of the Japanese show Documental where it’s comedians trying to make each other laugh for prize money. The Canada season has an amazing cast, Tom Green is a god on it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I've been afraid to watch the non-Japanese versions of documental because I've heard they are universally terrible and miss the comedic beats that make it great, but I'll try the Canadian one.

I’d agree the Japanese one is still better, it’s a very specific narrow focus and Canada (the only other one I’ve seen) does a lot of miscellaneous stuff I don’t necessarily think works well but it gets by on the fact that you’ll recognize the majority of the cast and appreciate where they are in their headspace / type of comedy more.

Harminoff posted:

Yeah but what about those cheese sandwiches?

They were delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

About 13 years ago (thanks, gmail history) I saw Dave Attell do standup and that was probably my first live comedy show. Watching his new special Hot Cross Buns on Netflix that just dropped, I feel like I'm a kid again. Dude hasn't lost a step.