Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Popelmon posted:

I just quit after like 25 minutes. Started out great but the bullying bit was garbage and it didn't get much better after that. How is the rest? Worth giving it another chance?

Depends on how invested you are in hearing about why he got divorced, but if you didn't like the first half I don't really see any reason why you'd like the second. The dramatic camera zoom as he confessed to infidelity was funnier than any of the jokes though, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Comedy fans will overwhelmingly accept Louis CK back as long as he's funny, and we know he's more than capable of self distribution if he wants to start earning before other people feel comfortable aligning their brand with him again.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Odddzy posted:

He's been retweeting and mentioning a bunch of right-wing dudes since yesterday. I honestly think it's part of a bit.

I think the simplest explanation is that he's a funny old guy with lovely old guy opinions.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He's always pushed boundaries, so it could just be that he was trying to do that in a particularly ill advised way at a time when nobody's willing to extend benefit of the doubt to him anymore, but I can't help thinking that it's going to be pretty depressing if the end result of his time in the wilderness is coming back alt right because he feels victimized by PC culture or some stupid poo poo like that

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1079621558770040834

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 31, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Megazver posted:

That's pretty tame, tbh. Like, a 2/10 on the scale of offensiveness based on all the material he's ever done. Oh no, he made fun of weird pronouns and did a self-aware old guy grouse about the-kids-these-days, let's all hug and cry!

To me the difference is that before there was an understanding that he was going to say offensive poo poo but it's okay because we knew he was really one of the good guys, and right now I don't think he's earned that expectation. I do think it's a little unfair to judge someone by their work in progress bootleg material, but he knows the microscope he's under now, and doesn't seem to care. I'm sure he'll find an audience either way (even if it's not the one he had before), but I don't blame people who decide they don't trust his intentions anymore.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1079569620032311296

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 31, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the first album was basically good for its time, and holds up about as well as other comedy from that era. Some of his later poo poo when he was trying to do an edgy makeover of his career by leaning into being unlikable was embarrassing though.

FWIW, I think it's pretty obvious that part of the reason other a lot of other standups didn't like him is because they resented his good looks, especially coupled with his big success. There are a ton of standups who "joke" about getting into comedy because they're too ugly to act or to date without being funny, and I think they didn't want some actor looking guy coming in and stealing their thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 7, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think the main problem for Louis is that he relied on goodwill to take the edge off a lot of his humor before, so he got a pass for saying things a lot of other people wouldn't have gotten away with, and he just doesn't have that amount of goodwill left to rely on right now. On top of that, whether he or you or I like it or not, people really have gotten a lot more sensitive about a lot of topics over the last several years, and while he managed to swim against that current to a large degree for quite some time (though he modulated a bit here and there too), he might have been better off playing nice for a bit if he wanted people to like him again. Maybe using his daughters to rehabilitate himself would have been lovely in another way, but talking more about them without calling them cunts could have probably helped.

Obviously he's rich and can do whatever the gently caress he wants, so if he's fine with alienating a bunch of people, good for him. I just don't think he's going to be very happy with the audience he ultimately ends up with if he decides he doesn't give a poo poo about all of this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Look, at this point this is just a circus, I'll just leave this here, It explains what I think and that's that. Anybody else that want's to dunk and gently caress around is welcome to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhcSHLNZuQ&t=280s

I don't feel like he actually said much there. I mean of course Louis CK is going to still be able to find an audience if he wants to, and I don't think anyone's advocating for the comedy police to physically bar him from performing forever. Some people may actively wish he'd go away forever on his own, or that he'd be denied major platforms, but I personally just wanted him to show some evidence of growth/contrition and find a way to be funny again. I'm not personally owed an apology because a comedian I liked was a creep, or if his comeback isn't working fo rme, but as a fan it's still disappointing, and any excitement I had for his return is pretty much gone for now. If he does better material later on, maybe I'll check it out (especially if it's outside standup, where I don't think he does his best work anymore), but I won't blame anyone who thinks he's had more than enough chances at this point.

Going back to the murderer thing from the Norm clip, yeah, murderers probably should be able to get jobs once they've done their time, but realistically if you were employing a murderer, you'd probably be a bit more vigilant when it comes to inappropriate behavior from that employee than someone else. Forgiveness is great, but it doesn't mean everyone's memory of the past is erased. If a murderer gets out of prison and still acts like an rear end in a top hat, I think people might reasonably wonder if he actually is a better person now.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 9, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ellen's following in Anne Heche's footsteps and coming out as hetero.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Well he lost his writing job on a show because of something he wrote on twitter that I don't remember, people got mad and so he just decided to go all in with the conservative humor because a liberal audience will never like him anyways even if he tries to atone for something.

Was it this?

https://twitter.com/NickDiPaolo/status/1519999834

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Man I enjoyed watching Kobe play basketball but Godfrey making him out to be some kind of saint who's beyond criticism is dumb as gently caress. I mean I think the original comment was ghoulish and disrespectful to the other people who died, but focusing on how out of bounds it is to disrespect Kobe misses the point imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/patrickcotnoir/status/1352470983068811266

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/rajandelman/status/1367705032578265088

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ve always meant to listen to that episode, I’ll have to queue it up. Thanks for the reminder.

It's a good episode, but really depressing at parts too particularly when he talks about nearly dying from an overdose and getting clean and obviously knowing how that went.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That picture's also Larry the Cable Guy, before he established his bit.

I used to hear him on the radio in the 90's and thought he was kind of amusing. There were definitely elements of what would become his stand up persona with some catchphrases and stuff, but it was more obviously just a weird character somebody was doing, because he had a straight man to bounce off of and who acted like he was a little ridiculous.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yeah I've been a bit more lenient on Chappelle than others since I like to let comedians get a bit of a free pass since it's comedy, but his latest special is just boring. He does the thing where he tries to tell a deep emotional story, but it just comes across as being extremely non genuine. And his trans humor wasn't even clever, it was just "HA I'm gonna get yelled at again TRANS TRANS TRANS"

I think he's just reached the point where he's going to make millions whether he's funny or not so he doesn't even have to try. There have been some funny older comedians, and some funny rich comedians, but 50 and astronomically rich is not the best combination for comedy. Going to the same well over and over again on trans stuff is just being a hack at this point, but as long as a segment of the audience is clapping like seals I guess he's fine with that. The hypocrisy of it all coming from the same guy who quit his own show because he realized some of the audience was enjoying it for the wrong reason is the weirdest part to me, but whether he's unable to see any link or just doesn't care, he's just a boring old guy now.