Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Barrage posted:

Heard Anthony Jeselnik's Shakespeare last night. Hilarious. It's interesting how he builds a persona in 40 minutes that the audience trusts to say anything...without actually revealing anything of himself.

I think Jeselnik is hilarious but I'm not a big fan precisely because of this, and I only really appreciate him in small chunks. It makes it harder to really relate and empathize with the comedian as a person when they're 100% facade. I get that's why he's so funny, but I'll never take off work or go out of my way to see him live the way I will with someone like Louie CK or PFT or any of my other favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I really like Al Madrigal. I've got to see him live a few times and he's a brilliant storyteller. Also one of the absolute nicest and friendliest comics I've ever met, unless you're talking in the front row, then he might come choke you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Two very prolific comedians with similar sensibilities (who came up around the same time and are probably good friends) making a joke about such a broad premise with different specifics and execution 12 years apart isn't joke stealing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Can you not tell by that guy's overacting, wording, and tone that this is a parody video?
Honestly, when it comes to crazy assholes on Youtube, I wouldn't count on this as a guiding metric. I'm more convinced it's a joke because why would someone who likes David Cross' comedy harbor such rage and resentment toward Louie CK? Cross has more of a political bent but they're both in what I'd (broadly and subjectively) call the same comedy "genre"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I never thought Dane Cook "stole" those bits from Louis, either. They were simple premises that were not all that close in execution.
Maybe you haven't heard them side by side in a while, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDYCZEa4Ms

There's a lot of parallel construction and pacing, especially in the first clip. I'm not convinced he outright stole them but they're a lot closer than the broad shared premise between Louie and Dave's bit, and there's more than one of them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Everyone has been booed off a stage at a college. They probably saw Charlie Murphy on the flyer and expected him to just tell his Chappelle Show stories, which is retarded, of course someone's stand-up isn't going to be that. That said, guys like Bill Burr and Neal Brennan think he's a good stand-up, so he can't be awful.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sporadic posted:

They are performing in public.

loving lol if you genuinely believe a place you have to pay to get into counts as "in public" you inveterate dunce

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Not really since what Patton did wasn't childish and you've done nothing but prove that you're incapable of behaving otherwise

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

He's got the same problem a lot of linguistics/semiotics guys do in that they think their intelligence in those areas just sort of spills over into everything else cause their field sort of touches on all areas of human expression and knowledge but really they don't know jack poo poo about anything aside from whatever liberal arts classes their colleges may have required of them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Peter North posted:

The best argument I've heard on this is that if Louis CK said "chainsaw-loving a dirty whore's oval office," which he would, those same people would think it was genius.
Yeah because if Louie CK said that there'd be a layer of irony built in due to his personality and perspective while everything Dane said adds up into a big misogynist rant. If that's the best argument to defend Dane he's going to the chair for sure

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Josie Long is really funny and awesome

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Who are British comedians like Josie Long

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he was in Hitch, whih owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I still don't think this will become a thing. It really only works for established acts like Louis C.K.

If by "it really only works for established acts" you mean "the only two people to do it that I personally know of to this point in time have been established acts" then sure. Seems really silly to completely write off a brand new distribution model based on no evidence.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

There's a huge difference in the market between comedy albums, which have always cost money, and webcomics, which have always been free. Getting people to pay for things they have never paid for and are actually used to not paying for is a much taller order than asking people to buy things they've always bought in a somewhat different way. That's why most podcasts have failed getting people to pay for regular content in anything other than a freemium/donation model.

Bands, comics, and other performers at even low to mid levels have been able to sell cards with download codes on them for a while now at live events and buying albums on iTunes is fairly routine. This is just a slight adjustment to that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wasn't arguing against micropayments at all, I think they're a fantastic idea. You're the one who asserted that this venture could fail because it did for webcomics. You didn't address my actual point, which was that the audience for comedy specials/albums have traditionally paid for them despite how easy it may be to procure the same (or similar) content for free via youtube, file sharing, catching sets on Conan/Letterman etc., while the audience for webcomics and podcasts have overwhelmingly never had to pay for anything, and it takes a while to train consumers to spend money on something that was universally free until very very recently - that's the key difference. It's difficult to compare two products that are so different in terms of audience, distribution, marketability, and history.

indigi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 22, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah it was some "get off my lawn" poo poo. Who says every comedian should have to be able to perform to every audience, or that starting out should be a harrowing experience? Plenty of bands started out (and continue) playing to polite rooms full of people exactly the same as themselves. Not everyone has to play to every crowd in every venue.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

So no, it wasn't just some "get off my lawn" poo poo.
Sure it was, because of the way he framed it. I never said he didn't make any salient points, but the main thrust of the rant was back-in-my-day stuff.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Um. Munn and Hardwick are nerds because that's how they were treated during their formative years and despite how handsome/beautiful and successful they are they're still into nerd poo poo. Nerd doesn't mean "ugly and unpopular" just because that's what you were. Hardwick loves Dr. Who, when do you think you'll see Chris Rock make a Tardis reference. Just cause they're pretty and successful doesn't mean they aren't nerds anymore.

e: and lovely alt comics don't "work" now. just cause the audience at the UCB or Meltdown or Rafiki or wherever don't heckle or throw poo poo or mercilessly boo doesn't mean the comedian is doing well. Hack, poo poo comedians can make it at UCB or at Caroline's on a weekly basis for a while, but if they don't have talent they won't advance past there, no matter the mainstreamness or alternativeness of the venue.

indigi fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 30, 2012

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Myq Kaplan was almost tolerable on this week's You Made It Weird.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I met Todd Barry after a big standup show at The Bell House in Brooklyn where he also played drums for a Clash song and there were like 3-4 pretty ladies throwing themselves at him afterward so he had no time for me. I just wanted to say hi and tell him how funny I thought he was but he was having none of it. I get it, though, I'd probably do the same thing.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Well once I shake someone's hand I consider that having met them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That's what happens sometimes with Marc. Part of the fun of seeing him multiple nights while he's in your town.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Honestly I love seeing him get hostile and lovely to the audience. I wasn't saying that part of the fun is lucking out on getting a winning ticket and seeing a "great" show; the fun is seeing the same dude, with the same material, in front of a very similar seeming crowd, put on two completely different shows. It's really something.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't even think he knows for sure, yet.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah PFT's was recorded in October.

Seems like it's gonna be a good year for specials. Chris Hardwick did his earlier this year, Garfunkle and Oates just did theirs, and apparently Kumail Nanjiani (who is awesome and yall should check him out) is prepping his hour. And TJ Miller's Mash-Up is filming now.

Kumail is my favorite about-to-explode comic. I really think in 10-15 years he'll be considered one of the greats.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I literally can't believe someone would call PFT a hipster, it makes less than no sense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

Jesus, do any of you even go to shows? or just listen to pre recorded poo poo?
Why do you care so much how people consume their comedy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Politicalrancor posted:

because live comedy is not the same as cd's and podcasts etc.

So start a live comedy thread

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

Does Natasha Leggero bug anyone else? I've heard her on podcasts and have heard some of her stand-up and I can't get over just how unintelligent she seems and no one has any criticisms about her. Even Marc Maron likes her and that just makes no sense to me other than the fact she's incredibly attractive. Because that's how Maron seems to roll.

I used to really dislike her because a lot of her material was just classist and mean, but then I heard her on the JV Club and she basically copped to that while being a delightful guest. I listened to her new jawn and it's pretty funny, she's good on Burning Love, but I probably wouldn't put her on any top 10 lists.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Last time I saw him he did 30 minutes of riffing up top. The first 3 tracks on his latest album are riffing. I really don't think he's cutting it out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Just to name the ones I've seen live in the past few months: Cameron Esposito, Chelsea Peretti, Erin Foley, Jackie Kashian, Nikki Glaser, Sarah Schaefer, Natasha Leggero

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

That is not at all how I'd characterize Maria Bamford. In that case I'd go with Nikki Glaser or Natasha Leggero.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

If you want a girl with funny one liners, Morgan Murphy is what you're looking for

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot Morgan.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wish Jen Kirkman was my aunt

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

The question of are women funny comes up a lot and I thought this article made some good points. Read, discuss.

http://www.streetbonersandtvcarnage.com/blog/a-woman-explains-why-women-arent-funny/

What a load of garbage. I really hope she didn't get paid to write that tripe. Her rhetoric's so piss poor I don't see it getting even a C in a high school English class. And that's not even mentioning her attempts at humor. gently caress.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I took what she was saying as just solid advice to any comic, regardless of gender: Write uniquely. Don't write hack jokes with tired premises. Write something people haven't heard before. Give us something new, not tired, done, topics & premises.

The most banal advice ever. Just wonderful.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Why not just post your whole name so I can look you up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

It's also easy to maintain the "suck it up" opinion when you've been a privileged middle class white male your entire life and have no loving idea what it's like to not be at the top of the pyramid nor any desire to concede that you benefit from something as random as the circumstances of your conception. Like these people would be totally fine making fun of tea partiers for completely missing the point when it comes to Muslims or whatever then turn around and do pretty much the same exact thing.

Comedians shouldn't be restrained from exploring any topic to find comedy. Unfortunately for Tosh just saying words like "rape" isn't jokes. There's a difference between "bad jokes" - such as most rape jokes - and "not a joke" - what Daniel Tosh was doing. And what TJ Miller accused Dane Cook of doing a while back. That's not art, that's not creativity. It's expression, sure, but you don't get to hide behind some lofty ideals when you're just being mean. And not only that, but even if you are making jokes, freedom of speech all day, but THE PEOPLE CALLING YOU A MORON AND FORCING YOU TO EXAMINE YOUR ACTIONS ALSO HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Performers wanna act like getting called out on bullshit is the same as censorship.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

escape artist posted:

Being anti-rape jokes seems to me an endorsement of censorship, though.

Well you seem to be an idiot, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Thinking that rape jokes aren't ok, much like thinking what Michael Richards did wasn't ok, isn't equivalent to advocating censorship. A few people may do both, but one doesn't entail the other. This isn't a discussion about freedom of speech and the suppression of art because I haven't seen a single person advocate for a constitutional amendment barring bits that include rape from comedy clubs. That really shouldn't need to be explained, and even though I'm now doing so, guaranteed he still won't comprehend this basic fact.