Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

For Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld or anybody a lot of people know, it will work*. I don't think the model is going to work for Aziz because he isn't as popular (or, imo, his standup isn't as funny) as those people and others. There are A LOT of people who are on the bubble as to whether the model would work or not, e.g. Jim Gaffigan or maybe even PFT.

Radiohead tried the same thing a while back and it worked for them. I don't see a lot of (or any?) other bands trying it nowadays.

*=For the model to work, I mean that the comedian will make more money going the Louis C.K. route(CKR) as opposed to the potential fixed sales(PFS). So, if CKR > PFS, then by all means go ahead with it. But if PFS>CKR, then hold up son, we have to go through TicketMaster/LiveNation. If the artist doesn't care about revenue, then go CKR.

Edit: Fixed some errors. It's too hot.
More people probably know who Aziz Ansari is than Louis CK. Also, just because you don't find him funny (I don't either fwiw) doesn't mean he has no fans and that nobody will buy the special.

All that matters is how much money Aziz and other comics are putting into their produced specials and distribution services. Louis CK spent $250k total, but the smaller acts could cut that number way down. They won't need as much bandwidth on their site, their fans probably know the production values won't be as nice, and other costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

soggybagel posted:

Now if a guy like John Mulaney decided to go the release his stand up show on his own route I think his returns would be very small. In the comedic world John is pretty big and continues to grow but at large basically no one knows who that is unless they really care about comedy.

I've been a fan of stand-up for like ten years and that's the first time I've heard the name (or at least I never paid attention the few times I may have heard it). So that gives you an idea on how hard it would be for a guy like that to do well.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

indigi posted:

Yeah it was some "get off my lawn" poo poo. Who says every comedian should have to be able to perform to every audience, or that starting out should be a harrowing experience? Plenty of bands started out (and continue) playing to polite rooms full of people exactly the same as themselves. Not everyone has to play to every crowd in every venue.

You're missing part of his argument. He's saying that when alternative comics bomb in front of an audience that isn't their base, they blame the audience for being dumb instead of their material for not being very good.

Your average comic is so used to playing every kind of venue (college/urban/corporate/southern/etc.) that they know what kind of material works for each. They don't just pompously blame the crowd for not getting their brilliant comedy when it doesn't work. Because they aren't children.

So no, it wasn't just some "get off my lawn" poo poo.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Space_Butler posted:

If I can reverse that for the sake of argument, who does Bill blame if he works a crowd full of parents and "wholesome" people and gets nothing but disgusted stares? Who does a liberal political comedian blame if their set goes over poorly in a conservative town? SURELY they blame themselves for their material not being very good, right? Wrong.

You're taking the exact opposite of two tastes and putting them up against each other. No poo poo a lewd act would go over badly in front of a family crowd. That is not the same as an alternative comic's act having such limited appeal that it does poorly with the majority of audiences the usual club comic does well in. And even then, it's totally fine for alternative comics not to appeal to everyone. That's actually a really good thing! But Bill makes it sound like most alt comics don't deal with criticism about their act at all. They avoid doing rooms that they know they would do bad in, but then trash those rooms because the audience is dumb. That's childish.

And remember, a club comic's audience is diverse. The audience is not nearly as concentrated as the typical alt comic's audience. They may get a mixture of all kinds of people who don't like their act, or they might get all fans. That is the risk the club comic takes, but they are prepared for whatever audience they get (most of the time). That is why Bill feels like the alt comic has no business trashing the audience the club comic performs in front of.

I agree that Bill Burr should not lump the fans of alternative comedy with the comics themselves. And I also don't agree with him saying that alternative comics are bad because they found a way to get rid of the "horrors" of stand-up comedy. All comics should try to do that as much as they complain about it. But if an alt comic knows they have limited appeal, but then they're mad at the world because of it and then call club comics hacks because they reach a larger audience than they can, then that's dumb and alt comics deserve to get poo poo for thinking that.

And I will say that Bill Burr did this off the top of his head while recording a podcast by himself. He knows it wasn't a well-thought-out rant, he even says as much at the end. I don't see why there needs to be such scrutiny over it.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 30, 2012

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

big business sloth posted:

I just can't imagine the idea that a room full of comics and/or comedy nerds is somehow a less demanding and scrutinizing audience than just "anybody else"

Because the comedy club brings an audience that sometimes has no familiarity with the comedian at all. They just hear there is a "comedy show" happening and show up. That is how you end up with old ladies who get offended and leave the room, hecklers who don't find anything the comic says funny and want to ruin the show, drunk assholes who are bored and interrupt the show, and so on. It's way different than a club full of comedy nerds which is typically what alternative acts perform in front of. That audience understands what they're in for. Bill is completely right that it is a much more accepting environment. Even other comics who do scrutinize the comedian on stage, know not to heckle or rudely talk on their phone and other poo poo. Cause they know how much that sucks.

Now, you wouldn't be wrong to say that it's stupid to complain about alternative comics having a "safer" environment. All comedians want that. But if you don't see the difference between the two audiences then you really don't know much about stand-up comedy. Like Bill says, that's like doing stand-up with training wheels on to a club comic.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

One time Louis CK was taking photos of the opening act right next to me, and even though we had clearly met at this point, I was kind of pissed when he walked away and did other things. jerk

I've had the opportunity to run into a few comics after their shows (sometimes right before), and while most were very appreciative to hear me say how much I enjoyed their show, most of them were busy with other poo poo. Even though we only see them on stage for a half hour or an hour, their entire evening is usually taken up by the gig, especially if they're driving in straight from the airport or a neighboring city. Don't take it personal or anything, especially if he was busy with some girls. I'm sure if you e-mailed Todd he'd appreciate your support.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

rear end Catchcum posted:

That's...not true. He could have done an even more charitable thing and just put it up there for her, eating the bandwith cost, and just giving her 100% of the profit from her sales.

He also could have not said what he's taking anyway and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

We all know Louis is known for being incredibly selfish and didn't at all split up the million dollars he made off of his first release to give bonuses to his staff, pay off the bandwidth, and donated to various charities. Nope, it was all about how much money he could keep to himself!

You're ridiculous. Take a minute and think about what you're saying. He isn't doing enough?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

SpacePig posted:

The only money going to charity for this is the money that Tig is electing to give to charity from her take.

You don't know that for sure, though. It's totally possible that after Louis pays off the bandwidth fees and the people who run his site/put it together, he may give the extra money he makes to the charity Tig chooses (or just give it to Tig herself).

Maybe the people at the Largo asked Louis if they could have a small cut of the money because it will help keep the lights on, and Louis figured he would rather it come out of his take instead of Tig having to deal with it.

The point is only Louis knows exactly what the buck is for. I think it's wrong to look at it like Tig is only getting 80% and Louis is hoarding 20% for himself. It's more likely that Tig is receiving close to 100% of the actual profit and Louis will deal with all the other stuff. Just like others have mentioned, Louis isn't exactly rich enough to just eat those costs.

Does Louis really come across as the kind of guy who sees a friend going through rough times and thinks it's an opportunity to exploit it and profit from it?

Okay that was a lot of words for something that really shouldn't be an issue at all.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Are you going to sit there and tell me all these comedians just happen to live in New York and perform at the Comedy Cellar all the time?

bullshit.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

indigi posted:

You don't know anything about how anything works if you think Largo gave up that recording for free. You're out of your loving mind.

no but you see Louis won 2 Emmys recently which means he can totally afford anything in the world and he isn't doing enough to help Tig.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Also, Louie is doing very very well for himself. Why is anyone pretending that he's not? That's nothing to be ashamed of.

The guy is doing so loving well he single handedly changed how comedians distribute specials and sell tickets. Wake the gently caress up.

how much money does Louis CK have

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

He's the best comic I've ever seen live, and I've seen him live three times since 2006 and I am planning to see him again later this year.

But I guess it depends what you want to see. The reason why I love seeing Doug Stanhope live is because his set doesn't feel fake. He'll sometimes talk to the audience in the middle of a bit if he feels like it or gets bored. He doesn't really care if he forgets to do a joke, and he'll tell you when he does. I love that his sets are flawed and that he's honest about it. You'll get plenty of his comedy too, but you'll also get to see Doug being himself in the moment. Most comedians aren't comfortable at all with doing that on stage, while Doug does it pretty much every night.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

especially surreal for me since even though ive gone to a lot of live comedy, my only other Star Struck moment was when i was watching some crappy local comic do crowdwork(also at the Comedy bar) around the time of Just for laughs, and marc maron came over and stood beside me in the back, watched for like 2 minutes and then went "yeah? really? thats it huh? well ok" and then left

This is so perfectly Marc Maron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That newest Louis CK hour was the best one he's had in a long time + his TV show.