Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Holy poo poo this became a totally spergy effort post but gently caress it I'm posting anyway

News:

So Patton Oswalt did a thing: http://barbaragray.tumblr.com/post/15420368620/that-one-time-when-patton-oswalt-was-an-rear end in a top hat

A selection:

quote:

Patton: Excuse me, are you filming me?
Woman: Yes.
Patton: Could you not do that?
Woman: You’re going to want that whole chunk on tape, that was perfect.
Patton: Well I have that whole chunk. I’m working on it for a special and it ruins it if you upload video of it.
Woman: I’ll delete it right now.
Patton: See people do this and they’re being assholes. You don’t realize you’re being an rear end in a top hat but you’re being an rear end in a top hat.
Then the woman left and Oswalt further berated her.

Some quibbling on his Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/pattonoswalt

And @Andy_Richter joins in:

Oswalt posts a response: http://www.pattonoswalt.com/

A selection:

quote:

You saw me ask the woman, again, to not tape me. And you heard her say, "I'm deleting it now."

But what you didn't see was her say, "I'm deleting it now" with the same, withering smirk I saw in the Crystal Ballroom. In other words, "I'm not deleting this, and gently caress you."

And you didn't see her roll her eyes at her two friends, who rolled their eyes back, and nodded in agreement when she mouthed, "What an rear end in a top hat."

Views:

Meh. These comments on his FB status sums up my thoughts pretty well:

quote:

I've said this elsewhere already, but for me the issue isn't the videotaping or Patton's reaction. None of us were there and Babs was, and if she really had such a huge problem with Patton's reaction, she should have said something to him, either directly or via email, like an adult. Instead, she decided to air her side of the story via a blog for every jackoff on the internet to form a knee-jerk reaction to and force Patton into a position where he has to defend himself, lest everyone write him off as a evil mean famous guy, and anything he does say in his own defense will just be ignored by those who want to tear him down because he's famous and maybe was a bit of a jerk while in a state of anger. I think it's really an unfair position to put him in and blows an isolated incident into a manufactured Big Issue, but the internet would probably cease to exist if people didn't do that, I guess.

quote:

Sufi: Even if he isn't a good dude, it's not really any of our concerns. He's a comedian, not the loving Pope. I don't expect him to be superhuman and never lash out at someone in anger, and if I'm someone who is his colleague by virtue of being a fellow comedian and I see him do that, I'm not going to scurry off and post a god drat blog about it so lots of strangers on the internet can form knee-jerk opinions about it, I'm either going to confront him about it person to person or I'm going to just avoid him if I think it's not going to change. Posting a blog about it instead seems like grandstanding to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Sporadic, it's clear you didn't read Oswalt's response. Go back to my last post and see what he had to say, because it addresses a lot of the points you bring up. You should also read the Dave Anthony bit in the past few posts, which is another excellent summation and explanation.

quote:

I also don't get the idea of "this is for my special, you are ruining it". The vast majority of the people who watch the special are the same group of people who don't go on YouTube to watch various audience recordings. A non-soundboard bootleg can't compare to a professionally filmed special. I guess you could say that the spontaneity of the joke has been compromised but they usually run a nationwide tour before releasing a special anyways.
Furthermore, this is patently false. You may be that way, and even me, and maybe even some folks looking at or posting in this thread. We are all the minority, by a long shot. By even paying attention to something like this, we are already more aware and more informed than the general populous, which is the same general populous that allows comedians to make a living at all... not that it matters, because spoiling an act is still loving wrong regardless, but it would be even less likely to cross somebody's mind who is unaware of the whole working of things beforehand.

e:

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes. People have an expectation when they watch/listen to/go see comedy that they're going to hear material they haven't heard before. It's not like going to see a band play your favorite songs. The element of surprise is often critical for the humor to work.
Agreed. Daniel Tosh does a bit on Tosh.0 where he rips on an audience member for interrupting, but the reason it was so interesting to me is because Tosh didn't talk about how that fan was just heckling, but about the illogical fact that he was going out of his way to ruin brand new jokes for a paying audience expecting new material, in order to request repeat material that he already knew.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 8, 2012

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I saw John Oliver perform at the DC Improv this weekend, and he was phenomenal. Bill Burr did a drop-in beforehand, too, so that was pretty cool. Even the feature act, Jeff Maurer (I think?), was solid. Yay live comedy!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
What the hell is Norm Macdonald doing on his Twitter right now? I mean, he's obviously (very meticulously) calling golf, but... why? I keep looking for a joke, but none has come.

https://twitter.com/#!/normmacdonald

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Saw Daniel tosh last week in Richmond, he was great as always. I saw him last year too, but I was a bit too drunk at the time to retain memory of much of the show, so I can't really compare.

His opener this time around was Kyle Kinane, who I hadn't seen much of before. He was loving awesome, I'm definitely going to start keeping track of him.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Is Bobby Slayton as lovely as the couple of quick Youtube clips I just watched make him out to be? My girlfriend got some free tickets from the club he's playing this weekend, which already isn't a great sign.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Dancing Potato posted:

He's pretty old-school in a not great way.

That's a great way to put into words the feeling I got from the clips I did catch. Unfortunately I won't have time before the show tomorrow night to check him out further, but it doesn't seem to matter as she's intent on going regardless. Oh well, after enough beer anybody can make me laugh.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

caligulamprey posted:

Dylan Moran: Monster

Dylan Moran is so loving good. I had forgotten about him, thanks for the reminder.

None of his standup currently appears to be on Netflix, but there are two movies he's in, "Black Books" and "A Film with Me in It." I know this is the standup thread, but can anybody comment on whether any of these are worth watching?

e: Anybody have recommendations for other Irish comedians? I love Moran and I remember liking what I've seen of Tommy Tiernan, but I can't think of any other names off the top of my head.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 22, 2012

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

caligulamprey posted:

Black Books was a TV show he created with Graham Linehan (who made Father Ted) and is absolutely amazing, watch it right now.

Edit: seriously.

LesterGroans posted:

You ain't lying. Black Books is the best.

You bastards, I just watched the first episode and now I know for an absolute certainly I will accomplish none of the things I intended to tonight because I'll be watching this show instead. :argh:

e: Is Dylan Moran as perpetually inebriated as he always seems to appear?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I won't pretend to speak for the rest of the planet, but I liked Dane Cook as of those two albums as well. It was only after 2005 or so, when he tended to begin relying more on physical LOOK HOW WILD AND CRAZY I AM bits than actual jokes, not to mention stealing material, that I soured on him.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

-Atom- posted:

Carrot Top gets a lot of poo poo but he's actually a really funny stand up.

I've heard this from time to time, and I feel bad talking poo poo without having more than a few minutes of gag material to judge him by. Could you point me in the direction of something to watch?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Mst3kmann posted:

Tig Nataro's legendary Largo set is now available on Louis CK's site.

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tig-notaro-live

I didn't have any feelings about this one way or the other until I read the e-mail from Louis I just got. Holy poo poo I couldn't give him my dollars fast enough.

Louis C.K. posted:

Greetings to the people and parts of people that are reading this. Hi. This is Louis. I'm a comedian and you bought a thing from me. Well, I'm writing to tell You that there is a new thing you can buy on my website louisck.com. It's an audio standup set by not me but another comedian named Tig Notaro. Why am I selling someone else's comedy on my website?

Well, Tig is a friend of mine and she is very funny. I love her voice on stage. One night I was performing at a club in LA called Largo. Tig was there. She was about to go on stage. I hadn't seen Tig in about a year and I said how are you? She replied "well I found out today that I have cancer in both breasts and that it has likely spread to my lymph nodes. My doctor says it looks real bad. ". She wasn't kidding. I said "uh. Jesus. Tig. Well. Do you... Have your family... Helping?". She said "well my mom was with me but a few weeks ago she fell down, hit her head and she died". She still wasn't kidding.

Now, I'm pretty stupid to begin with, and I sure didn't know what to say now. I opened my mouth and this came out. "jeez, Tig. I. Really value you. Highly.". She said "I value you highly too, Louie.". Then she held up a wad of note-paper in her hand and said "I'm gonna talk about all of it on stage now. It's probably going to be a mess". I said "wow". And with that, she went on stage.

I stood in the wings behind a leg of curtain, about 8 feet from her, and watched her tell a stunned audience "hi. I have cancer. Just found out today. I'm going to die soon". What followed was one of the greatest standup performances I ever saw. I can't really describe it but I was crying and laughing and listening like never in my life. Here was this small woman standing alone against death and simply reporting where her mind had been and what had happened and employing her gorgeously acute standup voice to her own death.

The show was an amazing example of what comedy can be. A way to visit your worst fears and laugh at them. Tig took us to a scary place and made us laugh there. Not by distracting us from the terror but by looking right at it and just turning to us and saying "wow. Right?". She proved that everything is funny. And has to be. And she could only do this by giving us her own death as an example. So generous.

After her set, I asked Mark Flanagan, the owner of Largo (great club, by the way) if he recorded the set. Largo is set up for excellent recordings. He said that he did.

A few days later, I wrote Tig and asked her if I could release this set on my site. I wanted people to hear what I saw. What we all saw that night. She agreed. The show is on sale for the same 5 dollars I charge for my stuff. I'm only keeping 1. She gets the other 4. Tig has decided to give some of that to cancer research.

Tig, by the way, has since undergone a double mastectomy. She is doing well. Her doctors say her chances of survival are excellent. So she went there and came back. Her report from the frontlines of life and death are here for you to... Enjoy.

Please go to my site louisck.com and buy her show. You can buy it here:

http://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tig-notaro-live

Thank you. Have a terrific afternoon.

Louis C.K.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
It's not charity though?

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Also, comedy venues frequently record shows, that's not a red flag either. And in L.A. of all places you could expect comedians to run into each other working on material.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Can we please consciously differentiate between Louis and Louie? Louis C.K. is the comedian/actor/director. Louie is the character that Louis C.K. portrays on the show "Louie." Maybe that seems pedantic but it's driving me crazy, there's a reason he changed the spelling for the fictional character.

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 9, 2012

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

rear end Catchcum posted:

Anyone enjoy demetri martin's new album/dvd? They're different sets, at least partially. Two different shows.

Was it the same material on his recent Comedy Central special? That was... fine. I liked it, but I don't see myself coming back to it. I seem to remember liking his earlier stuff better, but maybe his gimmick was just fresher then.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm familiar with Doug Stanhope's stuff that I've seen online, but I feel like I've heard mixed reviews on his live performances. Anybody seen him? He's coming to town for one night in a week or two and I can't decide if I want to go.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Well drat, I'll be sure to go see Stanhope, thanks for the feedback, guys.

I saw Mike Birbiglia last week, I was trying to temper my expectations going in but I ended up liking the show a lot. I was worried a lot of it would be material I'd heard before, but it was almost entirely new stuff, with a little bit from the Sleepwalk With Me movie. Plus he was signing autographs and taking photos with people afterwards and was super friendly, nice bonus.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

The Berzerker posted:

I saw him in 2008 or 2009 at JFL in Toronto. He was on the same bill with Louis CK, Sarah Silverman, Arj Barker, David Cross, and Todd Glass. At the time I didn't know who Glass or Mulaney were, but they (with CK) were the top three of the night for sure.

Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lineup, I'm jealous.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Sporadic posted:

Trailer for the new Louis C.K HBO Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEtAfAa67TY

Hahaha, that was great. I was a little weirded out seeing him in a suit in the thumbnail preview, but that came together nicely.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Apoplexy posted:

I need a little bit of help in finding a forgotten comedian I want to look up again. He had a bit that made me laugh so hard about how Christians in football act persecuted when they aren't, because if a devout Muslim were to play football and start praying during a touchdown celebration, whipping out the prayer rug and prostrating repeatedly on it, Americans would be like, "Wow! Football is CANCELLED!" Any ideas as to who it is? I remember he was on Spotify, but I can't seem to look through past albums I listened to to find it up on my own.

I don't know this bit, but taking a shot in the dark it just sounds like something Eugene Mirman would say.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm an American whose only experience with Jimmy Carr is one or two standup specials, but I've loving loved him in those.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Just bought tickets to see Kyle Kinane and Bill Burr and I'm super pumped! I've only seen Kinane as an opener and Burr do a drop-in, can't wait to see full sets from these guys. Hurray live comedy!

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Echoing everybody else, the new Kinane special's great. So pumped to see him live in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Tig Notaro has a new book out! :toot:

quote:

Welp,

How's it going my dear old pal? You've been on my mind like crazy these past couple of days, so I figured I should drop you a line. I wanted to see if you've been saving your money to buy my new book that comes out today. It is called I'm Just a Person and I must say, I'm very proud of it. Possibly the most proud I've been in my professional life up until this point. If you do buy the book, feel free to post a picture of yourself reading it-- ideally near a baby or a cute animal. #i'mjustaperson

Get it here: https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062266637/im-just-a-person

hope to see you on tour this fall. (tour dates coming soon).

please give my best to the family,

tig.