Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

BobTheCow posted:

What the hell is Norm Macdonald doing on his Twitter right now? I mean, he's obviously (very meticulously) calling golf, but... why? I keep looking for a joke, but none has come.

https://twitter.com/#!/normmacdonald

As much as I love Norm I had to let him go when he started doing a running commentary for the most boring sport on the planet on a regular basis. If it were supposed to be Kaufman-esque I'd give him a little credit, but I know it's not because it's Norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Does Natasha Leggero bug anyone else? I've heard her on podcasts and have heard some of her stand-up and I can't get over just how unintelligent she seems and no one has any criticisms about her. Even Marc Maron likes her and that just makes no sense to me other than the fact she's incredibly attractive. Because that's how Maron seems to roll.

On the other hand I love Tig Notaro and have never had a problem with her stand-up or podcast appearances, against this forum's popular opinion, so it might just be me.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Women can't be funny you guys, you heard what Adam Carolla had to say.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

I love Maria Bamford and Jackie Kashian. And Jen Kirkman and Tig Notaro. Sarah Silverman annoys me occasionally, and sorry, can't stand Natasha Leggero.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Kirkman confuses me. I love her bits on the Pod F Tompkast and I like her in conversation with people, but her standup leaves me cold. No idea why. I should probably give more than just "Self Help" a try - any recommendations?

I mean, there's also "Hail to the Freaks", but honestly with stand-up comedy it's kind of hard to force yourself to like something, isn't it? I love Doug Benson and nearly everything he does, but his stand-up albums are all kind of a miss for me. I could name a dozen more examples.

And on the other hand, Bill Burr's stand-up is amazing but it's hard for me to get through an episode of his podcast.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

I don't get the controversy. I really don't. When someone yells out during a comedian's set why does the comedian have to be careful about how to handle it? If a woman heckled Bill Hicks his rants were blatantly misogynistic (I'm pretty sure he screeched at a woman to go kill herself). George Carlin yelled at someone that he hoped their kid dies in a car fire. Hell, in the first season of Louie there's a whole scene where he makes fun of a woman's "dead oval office mother" and then wishes she would get AIDS.

So what makes rape a special case? What makes a rape joke more taboo than wishing death on someone? Honestly, it's words. It's loving words. It's actions or intent that are the really problems. When a comedian is being shocking in order to handle someone yelling poo poo out, man or woman, what does it matter what is said?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Fine. But again, I've heard comedians threaten people's lives. I'm sure Tosh is not the first, nor the last, person to make rape jokes at a heckler. What makes this a special case?

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

I'd actually argue that Tosh is even bigger than Louis C.K. right now. Stewart and Colbert are definitely the biggest names in comedy, but as far as stand-up goes I don't think anyone's beating Tosh these days. Patton Oswalt maybe.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

DangerKat posted:

It happens to me from time to time on other albums with bad laughs but this is by far the worst.

There's a woman on Amy Schumer's album that nearly ruins it for me. Also, Bill Hicks' Rant in E Minor is a nearly perfect comedy album if it weren't for this one dude's obnoxious Barney Rubble laugh throughout.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Should I spend $100+ dollars for "David Cross and His Super Duper Pals", which is coming to Chicago in a month? Featuring Brian Posehn, Doug Benson, Paul F. Tompkins, and Todd Glass. I love all those guys but I'm not sure I love them that much.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Website says $39-49 before surcharges. Much more reasonable considering it's not just comedy show X at comedy club Y but a theater show that's part of Just for Laughs. Wonder where he got the $100 figure from.

jyrka posted:

Probably for 2 people, innit.

Yeah, didn't elaborate that this would be the total cost for two people.

I'm asking because I'm very good at talking myself out of anything, but I might regret it later. Yes, it is a theater show that's part of Just For Laughs so it's heavily advertised and might draw a more mainstream crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

Does anyone know about any reliable website, or database, or, I don't know, hub, anything, that keeps track of comedians and their respective catalogs of specials and albums? Mostly for albums. That stuff can be hard to keep up with, I just found out that Kyle Kinane put out a monster album in 2020 and I kinda don't want to find this stuff out a year later anymore.