Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
So a comedian threw a hissy fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Completely melting down over people recording your show is probably the hackiest bit going right now.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Eh. It just annoys me slightly when comedians act like children. But not enough to write a lot of words about it. Swings and roundabouts, isn't it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Oh well. It's all swings are roundabouts, isn't it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

A Louis CK backlash? I love it! Count me on the bandwagon.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

What a dummy.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I think he likes golf. He's been doing it for years I think.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

PFT's special was great, Oswalt's not so much.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Some comedy documentaries I've enojoyed:

Let America Laugh starring David Cross
The Comedians of Comedy with Patton Oswalt, Zach Galifianakis, Brian Posehn and Maria Bamford
Living with Ricky Gervais by Robin Ince
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LideSwXtEIk

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

The only interesting thing that's come from this is Corolla saying that they have gender quotas in TV writing. I did not know that.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

No one has ever changed their mind on the internet, have they? It just feels good to voice your opinion and let some steam out. :)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jimmy Carr is really similar.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Give Stewart Francis a go as well.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I think what the famous comedians are saying about their first time on stage really depends on whatever narrative they're trying to paint at that moment. Obviously their first performance went well enough to want to do it again.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

To all fans of comedy: Rob Delanley's album is out on his website for $5. Get it or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Good bit of business, isn't it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Obviously Louie is a millionaire several times over. Obviously the Tig set won't sell enough to make a much of difference in bandwidth cost or the $1 notes Louie will be piling up.

Maybe he's going to start selling other comedians' stuff as well and he's setting a precedent of 1 for me, 4 for you?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

BobTheCow posted:

Can we please consciously differentiate between Louis and Louie? Louis C.K. is the comedian/actor/director. Louie is the character that Louis C.K. portrays on the show "Louie." Maybe that seems pedantic but it's driving me crazy, there's a reason he changed the spelling for the fictional character.

Louie is a nickname for Louis. I don't think anyone is confused about whether they're talking about the real person or the character. If it bothers you, get it checked or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Yup, Carpet Remnant World is amazing. "Check it out if you like good stuff" is my review of it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

He doesn't "slam" Bill Hicks. At best he has a little dig at his fans.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

At this point Stew could probably say anything on stage and it'd get a huge laugh.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Steve-o's rap career is way funnier than his comedy.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

escape artist posted:

Ironically? Or legitimately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9ad9L3zw8

It's hysterical.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Sorry that's all I know about his rapping.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

List them all and we'll see who the moron is. :colbert:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I hope they just put it on youtube or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Website says $39-49 before surcharges. Much more reasonable considering it's not just comedy show X at comedy club Y but a theater show that's part of Just for Laughs. Wonder where he got the $100 figure from.

Probably for 2 people, innit.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I, personally, am lucky enough to have a choice to not watch things I do not like. It must be very hard being a feminist blogger and being forced to watch all that poo poo.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

Are you mistaking the phrase "victim of sexual assault" with "feminist blogger"?

No, not really. The average "victim of x" doesn't have the means to publicly pressure artists into changing their work simply because the topic of said art touches on however they were victimised.

nerve posted:

Their points are usually not that they have to hear it but that telling rape jokes can perpetuate the already lovely rape culture.

Of course if stand-up comedy that mentions rape causes rape, then of course rape jokes are bad. I agree.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Those records should be free. In exchange for, you know, "exposure."

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

I like Daniel Kitson and Stewart Lee, someone recommend me more British standups plz

Simon Munnery, Robin Ince, Josie Long, Richard Herring.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

He really doesn't seem to put any effort in or give a poo poo. I watched one of his comedy specials a few years ago and it was him just reading tweets as well. I couldn't believe it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just saw Stewart Lee's special on Netflix. Great stuff, amazing delivery.

Which one?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

He is right though. Chelsea Peretti is not one of the greats.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

St. Dogbert posted:

The new Jimmy Carr special is pretty good. Like the last one, it's a bit disappointing that he used some of his old material, but it's more acceptable this time, since this is his first special that's available in the United States.

Interesting how many jokes and little quips are word-for-word ripped off from Stewart Lee. Also, can't believe he did the Schumer/Patrice sex positions joke. Otherwise solid effort I guess.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Stew's stuff has been too self-indulgent for me too recently. I guess everyone has a breaking point. What was that poo poo about Rod Liddle in the previous episode?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Crankit posted:

Wasn't Norm the guy who said he never drinks? What's the deal with that.

He's an addict, they tend to lie a lot.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Metzger is a major cokehead who can't stop getting involved in online arguments. r/opieandanthony love riling him up.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

I find it really weird that good, respectable comics still go on Anthony's podcast.

No one does really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Come on guys! Please don't misogyny in this thread!