Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Pretty sure Charlie's DVD special (or one of them, don't know if he has more) are on Netflix streaming, but I haven't watched it.

e: It's called "Charlie Murphy: I Will Not Apologize" and yeah it's still on there.

Howdy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
That's fantastic. Saw him open for Aziz a while back and knew nothing about him, he KILLED. Couldn't buy tickets to see him at the Improv when he came around fast enough. Had no idea about the special.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

M1TCH3LL posted:

Since this seems to be American-centric, I'm curious as to what the American comedy fans here think about British comedians. Obviously, the easy name to pull out is Ricky Gervais who seems to be more revered in America than in the UK right now. But then you have comedians like David Cross and Louis CK singing the praises of Daniel Kitson, considered by many to be the best comedian in the country, as well as Stewart Lee who IS the best comedian in the country.

Almost as if by design, Stew is responsible for one of my favourite handlings of finding an audience member recording the show via phone. It wasn't off the boil or anything - it was reserved, it made a point, and it was funny. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7aLiIL75q0 (4:40 in).

Will be checking out Kitson and Lee, thanks.

I've heard some of Frankie Boyle's stuff and enjoyed it -- curious what the perception of him is over there?

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Just watched "I Am Comic" a few weeks ago, and Gaffigan complained (complained is probably the wrong word, since he seems to consider it a compliment to be recognized) that people will just yell HOOOOOOOT POCKET at him on the street, and he doesn't really know how to respond to that. Sounded like he didn't really want to have that be his "git 'er dun"

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

BobTheCow posted:

I saw John Oliver perform at the DC Improv this weekend, and he was phenomenal. Bill Burr did a drop-in beforehand, too, so that was pretty cool. Even the feature act, Jeff Maurer (I think?), was solid. Yay live comedy!

Maurer's a local dude that's quite funny...he's got an album (Smart Setups, Stupid Punchlines) worth checking out.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Haven't seen Tosh live yet, but Kinane is fantastic.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I went on a little bit of a comedy album buying spree. I bought both of Jonah Ray's EPs, Matt Braunger's Soak Up The Night, Jimmy Pardo's Pompous Clown, John Mulaney's The Top Part, and Pete Holmes' Impregnated With Wonder. They are all good, but John Mulaney's and Pete Holmes' are so funny it's crazy. Anyone got some more suggestions.

John Mulaney has one that just came out a couple months ago, "New in Town," that's also great. Kyle Kinane's "Death of the Party" if you haven't heard that.

e: Second Jen Kirkman's latest (Hail to the Freaks)

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
I tried listening to a few of his albums on Spotify, couldn't get more than a couple tracks deep on any of them. Don't get it at all. But the dude's selling out arenas so why change anything.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

quote:

When you buy my special, you are automatically entered to win VIP tickets to my live show and a ride with me on my plane.
That Blue Collar Comedy tour was a loving gold mine, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
This set is best listened to in an extremely dusty room fyi.