Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

If you do not think Louis CK is at all funny I'm not sure why you are in the stand up thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

Another gay guy who can't stand Cho and Lampanelli et all. It feels exactly like pandering, she's not really making any jokes she's just kinda going "HEY! GAY STUFF! YEEEEEEEEEA!" and like, yea ok I'm down with that but there's nothing actually funny or entertaining in that.

Lampenelli makes me straight up uncomfortable. I guess it not my place to get offended or uncomfortable for black people being a white guy, but to me, just because you gently caress black people does not give you carte blanche to just be racist ironically. And her stuff is just racist, especially when she talks about Mexicans or Asians or whatever, since her little get out of jail free card does not exist for them, but she acts like it does.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

synertia posted:

Just separate from everything, when I have been debating with myself, the one question I come up with is "Does anybody REALLY endorse rape?" Like, is anybody actually pro-rape?

I would argue no, other than psychopaths, so coming from that reasoning, he told the joke in jest and not from a place revealing dark parts of his personality. This also sets it apart from the Michael Richard incident because I think some people DO support racism and its tenets.

People support rape all the time. Prison rape is constantly supported as a deterrent to crime (which it does not do.) People really do think that the clothing a woman wears can influence a rapist to rape her. That she somehow asked for it and deserved it. Getting a woman hammered and then loving her when she can barely speak, let alone consent is widely accepted as normal behavior. I would love to see how detached and respectful of the arts of comedy some of you goony fucks would be if it was your daughter or sister or wife that was threatened with gang rape becaus she hurt a comedians feelings by interrupting his unfunny rape jokes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

XK posted:

Because she was literally threatened with gang rape, right? Daniel Tosh was soliciting the formation of a posse to sexually assault her during his comedy performance.

Please decree what topics comedians are and are not allowed to joke about. Is racism ok? How about suicide, drugs, bad driving, cancer, broken families, being fat, death, communicable illness, domestic abuse, violent crime, religion, or corrupt governance? All of those are serious societal issues that have severe impacts on millions of peoples' lives around the world, just like rape. You tell me which ones are ok.

They can joke about whatever they want, and other people can call them out when it goes from gallows humor to tasteless schlock as they did to Richards. But you keep defending unfunny rape jokes by saying other things are bad too as though that makes it ok.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

synertia posted:

Unrelated, I did see YouTube footage of Gaffigan threatening to kill a heckler once. Literally "murder" him in the parking lot. And I AM NOT relating this to Tosh in ANY WAY. Just interesting, never seen him curse or say stuff like that, probably early in his career.

Gaffigan cursed all the time until like 2002.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TheAbortionator posted:

I'm pretty confused, is there some kind of spread sheet that I can check to clarify when and when its not appropriate to laugh at a rape joke?

Laugh whenever you want, but if you are the guy who laughs at unclever and uncreative "lol rape is hilarious" type poo poo, then we can all call you an idiot. Rape jokes are like racist jokes, there are very few that are going to really be funny, and the rest are the kind of thing Carlos Mencia made a career out of. You can love Carlos, but we can all call you stupid.

Rape jokes are lazy and dumb, like Tosh's response to the heckler was.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Why don't some of you regale us with your favorite rape based humor, there must be plenty of it to be worth defending so hard. Don't give us Louis ck as its already been done and posted. I mean these must be hilarious jokes that us "sensitive" types just don't get, so enlighten us with some hilarious rape jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ariza posted:

You're missing the entire point that people are making, either on purpose or you're just very dumb.

edit- Most women don't live in a constant state of fear of being raped. If you really think that, you need to get out of the creepy bubble that you live in.

Good thing I never claimed that all then and you just put words in my mouth. Just because someone does not live in constant paralyzing fear of something does not mean unfunny Jokes about the subject are not tasteless and stupid.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 13, 2012