Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Megazver posted:

A decent impression of Bill Burr teaching an online comedy course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7zBuM8yAI

I haven’t watched the link cause I’m at work, but I’d be interested in actually seeing Bill Burr talk about comedy from a mentor-perspective. It surprises me that he’s not bigger, his first Netflix special is one of my favorite sets and it’s SO long but never really loses steam. I’m always impressed by how he can get a room on his side, like his whole thing about guns for home protection, and how absurd it is to think you’re gonna be effective.

I was really bummed that his latest special was so bleh, but I’d love to see his take on President Trump. I can’t remember if it came up in the special, but it seems like something he could really wrap his fingers around. The perspective of poor whites, the perspective of POC, and the ridiculousness of Trump himself. I should probably just listen to the Monday Morning Podcast but I’m lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why would you think Bill fuckin Burr would be able to accurately capture the perspective of a POC?

I mean in the sense of relating it in a set. But Bill has a better rapport and understanding of POC than probably 99% of straight white male comedians. I’m not saying that Bill can speak for POC or have a better understanding of their plight than they do. I’m saying that I’d love to see his take on things and that he can probably make some jokes about how loving dumb Trump supporters look to POC, etc.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

At least one of the new Chappelle specials is extremely good, and has a great closer

Which one? I only watched one of last year’s specials and walked away unimpressed, disappointed.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Check out Joe Mande if he comes to your city. His new poo poo is great. Some of it is being workshopped still, but worth the time and money!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

What’s dumb is that the “high schooler testifying before Congress” idea could be a good bit. Except you go about it talking about the absurdity of adults not willing to testify or listen to children saying they don’t want to be shot. So eventually kids try to do it themselves and are outright dismissed despite their very reasoanable pleas of “we don’t want to die of gun violence in school.”

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

bango skank posted:

tweet would make more sense if people asked to film his set and he said yes because he thought they could help his career

He definitely thinks these people will help his career.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

When Dave first came out with the two specials on Netflix, I watched one w my dad and it ended on a joke that was basically “trans people will trap you” which is a mindset that gets transwomen murdered all the time. It was also wasn’t very clever. It was disappointing to see a guy who made such great observations on celebrity and being black in America go to this really lazy, kind of gross place.

I haven’t really stayed up with his work since, and it’s a shame that he might go back to that well. I’m going to check it out because I’m interested in how it compares to Aziz’s special and just the current climate of superstar comedians.

It’s so weird how so many seem unable to adapt. Bill Burr’s perspective of “I don’t get it but God love ya” when it comes to some of this stuff is lightyears ahead of his peers. His joke about a trans woman athlete ripping her dick off and beating people up with it isn’t great, but it’s at least absurd and more clearly a joke than some of these guys being like “can you believe these people?”

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I will say this though, Bill Burr is where he’s at because he’s had a long career and done pretty drat well. I’ve mentioned that his first Netflix special from 2014 is one of my all-time favorite sets. I’m bummed to hear the first half of Paper Tiger might be some bullshit hack, but he’s a keen guy so I’ll look forward to the rest.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

WerthersWay posted:

I am DYING to hear an oral history about season 4. I can't speak to their live show, but the first three seasons were hilarious and Abbi/Ilana are great and so are their co-stars and guest stars But they famously had Hillary Clinton film a cameo in season 3 well before Bernie became the youth vote's favorite. And by the time the episode aired, it was already hilariously out of touch.

But what happened next was crazy. Apparently, they wrote references (or maybe even whole episodes) about President Hillary throughout season 4, which was to premiere in their usual spot of January/February. Given that timing, they likely filmed most of the episodes too. But then Trump happened so they had to delay the season to September and rewrite everything. Season 4 is REALLY bad. One of the great things about Broad City is how the characters, like real life New Yorkers in their 20s, are constantly outside exploring the city instead of being in their lovely apartments. But due to obvious budgetary reasons, season 4 takes place almost entirely indoors.

Anyway, season 5 was back to normal and was really funny and they nailed a sweet, touching ending. But holy poo poo, that Ilana stand-up special is bad. I made it 5 minutes before I turned it off.

Woooooooow. I didn’t know that at all about season 4 but it makes sense. drat.

I would agree w this. 1-3 are pretty solid (aside from the histrionics of the Hilary episode). 4 was a bit of a lull and 5 was a good wrap.

I wanna watch this special a bit just to see how far I can get.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I dunno but just wanna say his second episode w Harris Wittels is an all-timer for me. Just listened to it again this week. It helped me pull up from my nosedive back in the day.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The Pride is Back and Shut Up You loving Baby are 2 of my favorite all-time sets.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah Mulaney isn’t wrong that substance abuse makes him hilarious. It’s such a shame as he looked like someone who made it to the other side and escaped his demons.

Yeah, I was finally getting to a point where I was actively working on my sobriety and having John talk about having a drinking problem and being sober in "New in Town" was one of those like "Oh, I can be sober AND creative/funny" realizations.

And a lot of these guys are just carrying around some amount of darkness. Think of Harris Wittels. Super funny dude, but clearly had these gaps in his self that he couldn't fill.

I hope he finds peace and joy. Even if he ends up giving up comedy for it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the Harris thing is tragic, from memory while he messed about with drugs recreationally in the past, he didn’t mess with opioids until he was prescribed them which sent him down a fatal path.

In his 2nd appearance on You Made It Weird, he says he sorta messed around with pills here and there but that it was a relationship situation that really put him over the edge into loving with heroin. The story of him trying to score 2 or 3 times in the park is so tragically funny.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

it's so loving funny to release a highly viewed social media post after your multimillion dollar special claiming you're being silenced, just absolute baby brain poo poo. Dude's gonna be headlining CPAC in a couple years and making absolute bank.

He’s supposed to be showing his film at one of the biggest venues in our area, like a full on area. Where nosebleeds are gonna be like 40/seat…. Canceled, my rear end.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Hedberg’s first two are absolute bangers.

I still love Shut Up, You loving Baby. That first half is soooo good, and I’m always appreciative of hearing that voice in a post-9/11 Bush presidency. “Getaflageveryoneshouldhaveflags”

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s Not Funny has the electric scissors bit which comes to mind all the time when I think about a “convenience.”

“But I used electric scissors!”

Just all these bullshit gadgets and whatnot that amount to nothing!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Bands also have options like Bandcamp, which had Bandcamp Friday's last year where they took 0% of a cut from any sales. I'm surprised that when stuff like this comes up, there isn't more of a discussion about Bandcamp. Yeah, it's not streaming but also it seems to be so much more ethical all around.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

Continuing the former Mr. Show news... Looks like Jay Johnston finally got arrested.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/feds-charge-bobs-burgers-arrested-development-actor-jan-6-capitol-riot-rcna88135

No drat idea how or why now instead of two years ago, but whatever. Crash into thimbles in jail for a few months, dipshit.

Choo-Choo the Herky Jerky Federal Prisoner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of David Cross, which special has the promise keepers bit on it?

Shut Up, You loving Baby has some stuff. But it’s probably The Pride is Back. P sure it’s not It’s Not Funny.