Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
In case anybody didn't know, Louis C.K. is releasing his new stand-up special, Live At The Beacon Theater, for $5 on his site (either streaming or download) December 10th.

And, to get us faggots hyped up about it, he released an outtake from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzHzlMneaeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's up and it is awesome.

$5 through Paypal gets you two eight-hour streams and two no-DRM downloads. The download is 720p and 1.2 GB (and it is flying, it maxed out my internet at 2800 kb/s)

quote:

To those who might wish to "torrent" this video: look, I don't really get the whole "torrent" thing. I don't know enough about it to judge either way. But I'd just like you to consider this: I made this video extremely easy to use against well-informed advice. I was told that it would be easier to torrent the way I made it, but I chose to do it this way anyway, because I want it to be easy for people to watch and enjoy this video in any way they want without "corporate" restrictions.

Please bear in mind that I am not a company or a corporation. I'm just some guy. I paid for the production and posting of this video with my own money. I would like to be able to post more material to the fans in this way, which makes it cheaper for the buyer and more pleasant for me. So, please help me keep this being a good idea. I can't stop you from torrenting; all I can do is politely ask you to pay your five little dollars, enjoy the video, and let other people find it in the same way.

Sincerely,
Louis C.K.

- edit Oh hey, Louis CK WORD Live At Carnegie Hall, coming soon to CD.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 10, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'll never understand why comedians get so mad when they find out somebody is filming them as they perform. Doug Stanhope is another one who rants about that whenever he is given a chance.

They are performing in public. Yes, twenty years ago, you could have workshopped a joke in public with no fear of it being heard by anybody outside of that small crowd but it is a different time now. Everybody has a small device that can record audio and video.

A comparison like this

quote:

It's the equivalent, to me, of sitting at a table in a coffee shop or library, writing the first draft of a short story, or screenplay or, were I a musician, song lyrics, and having someone walk by, whip the sheet away from me, snap a pic with their camera

is loving retarded. A band who performs a new song during a concert doesn't whine or get pissy when somebody takes a lovely cellphone video of it because they know exactly what they are getting into. They are performing in public. It comes with the territory.

I also don't get the idea of "this is for my special, you are ruining it". The vast majority of the people who watch the special are the same group of people who don't go on YouTube to watch various audience recordings. A non-soundboard bootleg can't compare to a professionally filmed special. I guess you could say that the spontaneity of the joke has been compromised but they usually run a nationwide tour before releasing a special anyways.

This is the highest viewed Patton Oswalt recording I could find that wasn't a soundboard recording. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R69_mZj6YWo 230,123 views over five years which isn't that much.

As a fan of stand up comedy, I love bootlegs. It's extremely interesting to hear comedians try to work out material or hear the different way they word things in the heat of the moment. It's also great for when a comedian, like Mitch Hedberg, suddenly dies. All that material they were workshopping isn't lost into the ether.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It doesn't matter if it's good for comedy or bad for comedy or whatever. If a comic doesn't want to have their poo poo recorded, and askes someone not to do it, you act like a polite adult and respect that.

Agreed but, on the flipside, if you are performing in public, you should try to not lose your poo poo if you notice somebody is recording you.

Would we have even heard of this if Patton just called for security and had the lady removed?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

Be honest, you DO understand, because it's incredibly obvious and you're an intelligent person. You just don't like it and are disguising your objections in the form of some grand mystery.

Depends on if the self-righteous, passive-aggressive woman who wrote the blog would find that objectionable.

And why shouldn't comics lose their poo poo? Maybe if more people were shamed and embarassed at these places, they won't pull that kind of crap anymore. Especially when the jeers and boos of the audience are directed at said individual. These people aren't likely to wake up one day and decide that "I should no longer record people by default!"

Kind of. I know the reasons they state but I think it goes deeper than that. It most likely boils down to power. The same type of thought process that caused the head of the MPAA to compare VHS to the Boston Strangler. And yeah, I wish that comedians I enjoy would be above that.

Why shouldn't comics lose their poo poo? For the same reason they should try to control themselves when it comes to hecklers. If the person is doing it in such an obnoxious manner that the performer can notice, calling them out won't embarrass or even shame them. It will only encourage them to continue or give them a story. It's the same reason why Louis C.K cut out him destroying a heckler in his latest special. He doesn't want to reward them for their lovely behavior. (But let's be clear, I don't think recording is on the same level as heckling unless the person is being retarded with their flash, holding it way above their head or attempting to cram the device right in the performer's face)

Why do people record? Memories fade. They want to preserve what they are seeing since every performance is different. Maybe they do want to share it with others for whatever reason. Is that really that big of a deal if they do? Is Patton's upcoming special really ruined if some lady uploaded a piece of a bit he is working on to YouTube?

And I had no idea that he was performing at a restaurant. If the idea of somebody recording him while he's working on new material bothers him that much, why would he work a venue without security?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

Because it was an unannounced, spontaneous, free show. And things like this are going to make a lot of comics, going forward, really reconsider doing stuff like this. People want to record stuff instead of experiencing it and walking away with memories in their head instead of on a shaky, lovely camera? Well then the whole class doesn't get to go out to recess because of them.

Let's be honest. This is nothing new. Various comics have been showing up unannounced at random comedy clubs to workshop new jokes for a long time now.

If Patton wants to take his ball home over this then gently caress him. Let him stick to screenwriting or acting. Other comedians already a) begrudgingly accept that it will happen or b) don't give a poo poo.

BobTheCow posted:

Sporadic, it's clear you didn't read Oswalt's response. Go back to my last post and see what he had to say, because it addresses a lot of the points you bring up. You should also read the Dave Anthony bit in the past few posts, which is another excellent summation and explanation.

Um, I quoted a piece of it in my original post. He didn't address most of the points I brought up and neither did Dave Anthony's bit (but it was a brilliant deconstruction of the original blog post)

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes. People have an expectation when they watch/listen to/go see comedy that they're going to hear material they haven't heard before. It's not like going to see a band play your favorite songs. The element of surprise is often critical for the humor to work.

But fans are the same people who go out to see the tour before the special is filmed. Do they have the reaction of "I saw these jokes live months ago. This blows :saddowns:" when they watch the special? Why would a YouTube clip be any different? Who, other than the most hardcore fans (or people who were at the show live), would attempt to watch that poo poo?

People go both ways. People have heckled Doug Stanhope to do old material and others have heckled Mitch Hedberg by yelling out the punchlines to old material.

Wording the joke in a slightly different fashion or adding an tiny addendum can breath new life into old material.

- edit And I tried to find an audience recorded clip of Patton performing in 2011 or 2010 to show what the normal quality of something like that is like but couldn't find one.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 8, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

Do you even listen to yourself? Other comedians do NOT just do one or the other. You mentioned how Stanhope does this only a couple posts ago! So you're contradicting yourself.

No, Stanhope is under a) begrudgingly accepts that it will happen. Yes, he complains about it all the time (most recently on Joe Rogan's podcast when he was high on acid) but one of his bits is (off the top of my head) "Fans come up to me before a show and ask if they can bootleg it. IT'S NOT A loving BOOTLEG IF YOU ASK ME! Now I'm going to be standing up here sweating my balls off because you are going to put this on the internet when I suck. Why even ask? Won't you feel cooler if you think I'm against it?"

I don't think he would compare it to somebody snatching his notebook out of his hands while he's writing and taking pictures of it.

He also hates filming specials.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Doug Stanhope is coming out with a new album soon.

I think this is the Salt Lake City show he was talking about filming awhile back.

quote:

"Before Turning The Gun On Himself" is available to pre-order on iTunes ahead of release on March 6, with the companion DVD to be released later this year.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Doug Stanhope's new album is up at Amazon. $6.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B007B6VQJA

It's also on iTunes but for $9.99 there

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/before-turning-gun-on-himself/id500707024

- edit I'm almost done listening to it and it is really good. He almost sounds a bit panicked through parts of it but I would still say it's better than his last two CDs.

- edit 2 Have three minutes left and he didn't do the joke the title of the cd is based off of. Which is funny because I have the worst sourced audience bootleg ever that does and I remember it being funny.

- edit 3 Actually, he did something in the vein of it on Oslo but basically he's just talking about how he use to have a point and thought he could change the world that way but now he just wants to go kill some people. "I just want to go out with some natches on my belt. -- All of this material is being put together for my soon-to-be posthumously released DVD, Doug Stanhope - Before Turning The Gun On Himself. How could we have stop this? How could we have seen this coming? He talked about it on stage every night for like three loving years in front of a lot of people. You might have noticed something was awry when I was at the loving shooting range and all my targets instead of like a bandit with the loving mask on, my targets were like a guy with a briefcase and a suit on running away or a women trying to shield her baby from the bullets"

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 8, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SKULE123 posted:

Aziz Ansari put out his own Louis CK special (this is the new generic term for a 5$ internet-only no DRM self-produced comedy special) without much fanfare. More to come from Jim Gaffigan (with more fanfare) and Joe Rogan in the months to come.

Louis CK: Comedy Edison.

edit: https://www.azizansari.com

Awesome. I hope this catches on with the established acts. $5 for a special with no DRM is a steal and I love how my money goes straight to the artist.

-edit And this is also awesome

quote:

Hello.

Thanks so much for buying my standup special.

I included some random stuff in here as a "digital bonus pack" of sorts.

Images and Photos
- Photos from backstage at the Carnegie Hall show in New York City.
- Photoshoots done with Ruvan Wijesooriya and Colin P. Smith for the tour poster and DVD cover.

Make Your Own DVD Cover
- Rather than include a cover, I thought it might be cool to include materials for you folks to make whatever cover you want, details in that folder.

Tour Posters
- I had some artists do some silkscreen posters for some dates of the Dangerously Delicious Tour. Here are images of those posters.

That's all!!

- Aziz

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 20, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Radiohead tried the same thing a while back and it worked for them. I don't see a lot of (or any?) other bands trying it nowadays.

Um, alot of artists still do this. Just because they don't get press like Radiohead did doesn't mean it isn't happening or that they aren't able to support themselves on it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you were thinking about doing an EPIX trial so you can watch Lewis Black's new special Rust In Peace...don't.

I feel so bad for him now. It seems like every year he put out a new special and every year I watch it in the hopes that the fire he had comes back. But nope, more dead spots, more recycling of material, more pity applause from the audience instead of laughter.

I'm glad he's able to sell tickets and make a living but I can't imagine he's happy with the reception he's getting. Or who knows, maybe he's the same as Ron White and is just happy with the money because gently caress everything else.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Law Cheetah posted:

Bill Burr trashes Alternative Comedy (from his podcast):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CQmzbmV7j0

I rarely go to see live comedy so I don't know anything about the scene, this is pretty interesting. I've heard Marc Maron talk about this before, too. He phrased it like "Comedians playing to a room full of comics"

I actually agree with him to a point although he was scattershot about it. It's really two different complaints.

1) Some of these "alt-comics" only work in front of their niche audience.

This isn't that new. Doug Stanhope made part of that argument years ago. [Although Burr actually defended David Cross in his rant]

Doug Stanhope in 2006 posted:

[talking about being heckled by NASCAR fans] because I actually work those places unlike the David Crosses of the world who bitch and act like they are loving cool and blah blah blah. I like -- David Cross is just personally kind of a oval office. I enjoy all of his work. I do. I like what he does but I go "you're a loving oval office".

I've been in the trenches at Verdun, human being. I didn't show up in Athens and wait for the geeks to show up. I fight the loving shitheads to their face...to the point where my act suffers because I come in front of a crowd that likes me and I go "well, that's not going to work. that's written as a fight and you agree with me"

It's equivalent of what SammyWhereAreYou was talking about, earlier in the thread, about Margaret Cho destroying in front of her crowd not by telling jokes but by pandering to them.

Or another Stanhope story about Ron White buying jokes from his friend, Andy Andrist and how Ron said something like "what I do is buy funny jokes, take the teeth out of them and then they [the crowd] applaud"

Which leads to...

2) Fake nerds.

People who look like supermodels (or actually are) pretending to be nerds now that it's trendy. The new equivalent of a hot girl saying "People think I'm this way but I'm really just a guy's girl. My perfect day is just sitting around watching football and cheering on *insert popular team*." It comes off as fake. And now it's "People think I'm this way but I'm really just kind of nerdy. I like playing video games and watching zombie movies and *whatever other nerd poo poo is in the mainstream right now*"

Olivia Munn, Chris Hardwick, Adrianne Curry. They are the type of people who throw out a reference in the hopes of getting a pop. "Wow, he/she mentioned World Of Warcraft or zombies or bacon...they're one of us *applause*"

That goes back to him talking about comics pretending to be awkward backstage, saying they are a fan of his but dumping on club comics onstage, calling a crowd dumb because they don't react to a meme the way their crowd would.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 30, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Glitterbomber posted:

"Fake nerds" is the dumbest, most privileged, thing ever. I have no idea how Munn and Hardwick aren't nerds by any metric other than bitter people desperately clinging to their persecution complex declaring them not meeting a random benchmark of social reject. It's fitting the only comparison you can make is that 'I like football' thing because it's also an insane 'HEH a GIRL liking my insular hobby?! Yea right, attention whore!' thing.

It goes back to the pandering thing. I'm not saying everybody who doesn't fit a certain criteria is a fake but there is a big difference between somebody saying they like something in a conversation like a normal human being and somebody wrapping their entire identity around something trendy while waving a wave of the most mainstream aspect in the hopes of selling whatever they are pitching.

If that example offended you, how about the rap community? Replace hot girl and popular football team with a backpacker who only listens to nerdcore/Sage Francis/whatever. The analogy isn't important. It's the fakeness. That's what Burr was trying to get across.

- edit And I'll even say Burr's hair metal analogy is good just for the fact that nothing works forever. Those bad alt-comics may work now but there will come a time where that falls out of style and they will crash and burn hard.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 30, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh poo poo!

quote:

hi. 2 new things to buy at louisck.com: WORD LIVE at Carnegie Hall (audio) Shameless (audio) + audio version of LATBT

Seems like all of them are $5.

- edit

quote:

Hello there. I am Louis C.K. for now. You are a person who opted into my email list, when you bought my Live at the Beacon standup special. As I promised, I have left you alone for a long time. Well, those days are over. I am writing now to let you know that I am offering some more stuff on my site, which you are more than welcome to buy. What does "More than welcome" mean? Well, it means you can totally buy this stuff. Like, totally.
Okay so there are two new products. They are both audio comedy specials. One is called...
Louis CK: WORD - Live at Carnegie Hall
This is about an hour long and it's a recording of a live standup show that I did at Carnegie Hall in November of 2010 as part of a national tour I was on entitled "WORD" I've had a lot of requests from people to release that show as a speical or as a CD. I hadn't done so because a lot of the material that I did on the WORD tour, was in the second season of my show "LOUIE" on FX. But I decided since it's never been released as an entire show, and some of the material was not on my show, I'm releasing this now. I'm giving you this long and boring explaination because, as most of you know, I release about an hour or more of new standup material every year and folks can count on seeing a new show every year. This is old material, so I don't want to be a dick and pretend it isn't.
Anyway, Louis CK: WORD - Live at Carnegie hall is available for the same 5 dollars as everything will be. It is the same deal as before that you get 4 downloads and the file is drm free. YOu can burn it onto a CD, play it on your ipod, whatever you want. The special is broken up into separate tracks because I think that's more fun for a comedy album, but they are all just one thing you buy all at one time.
The second new thing is even older, actually. It's an audio release of "Shameless", my very first hour long standup special that I did for HBO. It was never released as an audio CD, so I asked HBO to let me offer it on this site and they agreed. They also agreed to let me offer it, the same as the rest, DRM free, for 5 dollars. Obviously I'll be sharing the Shameless money with HBO but I think it's pretty cool that they're letting this be out there unprotected like this. Shameless is also 5 dollars, drm free, and you can download it a bunch of times for the price.
Lastly, I'm offering Live at the Beacon Theater as an audio version, for those many of you who have asked for it. This is just exactly an audio version of the video special. Those of you who have already bought Live at the Beacon theater already own this. If you login with your password, it is now live and available for you to download at no extra cost. Those of you who now buy LIve at the beacon theater for 5 dollars, will also have the audio version availbable to you. It's simply been added to the video downloads and streams you already were getting.
Later, I am going to make a version of Live at the Beacon theater, that is a separate audio special, which will be much longer. That will cost money. Because I'm an rear end in a top hat. But that's later.
Also later, actually soon, I'll be putting my first feature film "Tomorrow Night' up for sale on the site. And also other things. Soon. For now.
You may have noticed that Louis CK LIve at the beacon theater is airing on the FX network. FX agreed to air it 10 times over the next few months. The version on FX is only 42 minutes long and we had to take out the fucks. The reason I chose to air the special on FX is that FX is my people. They gave me my show LOUIE (season 3 premieres on June 28th at 10:30pm) and they have never aired a standup special. So I thought it would be cool to let them air it and bring more people to the site who want to get the complete unexpurgated version. Also FX doesn't make me cut things for content. Just the big words (gently caress, etc)

Okay. that was exhausting. Sorry. I didn't even ask you how you are. How are you? Oh yea? Oh good. That's great. What? Oh man. That's tough. I'm sorry... Oh well that sounds like you handled it well, though. So. Yeah. Yeah. I know. I know that's... yeah. Well... Just remember, time will go by and that'll just be on the list of poo poo that happened to you. You'll be okay. Yeah. Huh?... Oh. Really? HE DID? Oh my GOD! hahaha!! That's CRAZY! No. no. I won't tell him you told me. Of course not. Alright well... uhuh? Oh wow. yeah. Alright well.. I really gotta go.
Thanks for listening. I'm glad you're basically okay. Stay in touch.
your friend,

Louis C.K.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 11, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Here's Mitch Hedberg, of all people, telling the crowd to "pumble that oval office"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZpT9PbJF8&t=51s

When a rehearsed performance (that's pretty much what stand-up is) is interrupted, you can't expect the performer to be graceful in their handling of the heckler. It's awesome when they can but most of the time, they just want them out of there so they can continue.

Here's Godfrey dealing with a heckler when he brings up rape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbKDO2HTXg

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Maarak posted:

Maybe it's time those traditions get reexamined. Way past time. The issues inherent in Tosh's thing aren't specific to stand up comedy, but to our cultural in general.

It's one thing that won't change. Clubs want to sell liquor, liquored up people are stupid/loud, comedians (think they) have to try to do something to put talkative drunk people, who are interrupting the show, in their place.

Until some time of comedy Alamo Drafthouse is opened and copied, that's just the way it is.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Little Blue Couch posted:

Guys did you know that there are things like "crowd work" and "riffing" and that stand up comedy is at least partially an interaction between the performer and his or her audience, and that "listening show" stuff isn't really fair or accurate?

And you understand that most crowd work/riffing is actually either really generic or preplanned? Louis C.K did a fantastic bit on it on a bootleg.

"Who wants to be made insulted? Raise your hand if you like to be insulted -- Hey buddy, how you doing? Good? No, you're not. -- You're wearing glasses and you have big eyebrows and I don't even need any of that. Because those are just superficial stuff on top of a giant pile of diarrhea. The only thing worse than the amount of diarrhea you are is that there had to be some giant horrible creature that shat you out.

What city are you from? Camero? You know only two things come from Camero. You're mother's smelly vagina -- and your mother's other smelly vagina."

That isn't to say that comedians can't riff but it's a specialized trait. George Carlin couldn't riff at all (beyond calling somebody a cocksucker) and I doubt anybody would say he's a bad comedian for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neRWv17Saj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRyQ944NuGk

George Carlin posted:

George Carlin: It would seem to me that some of the frustration one feels comes out in ones work on stage in, in the umm, in the manner of performing and that is to say the heat that one gives to the things, the urgency, the aggressiveness. There was a lot of outbursts at the audience. Always a particular person, if there was a heckler, I never cobbled hecklers. I ignored them until I was sure that everyone around them was tired of them, And then I said, I would wait for the right thing to come along and I would just turn and I would say gently caress you! You cocksucker! gently caress you and gently caress your mother in the rear end in a top hat with a big rubber dick. Who the gently caress are you, to come here and steal the services that Im offering these people and theyre paying for? Youre guilty of theft of services! Why dont you people police up your section? Dont you have a vigilante group in that area? Stab that prick! I would say that. Id say Doesnt anyone have something pointy? It was wonderfully loving cathartic.

-----

Or ok, do you guys know who Andrew Dice-Clay is? He is, or really kinda was, a stand-up comedian whose act contained awful, awful stuff, really virulent misogyny and homophobia and the like. Does he get the "just comedy" defense? He shouldn't, he made his money appealing to a crowd who shared or at least couldn't be bothered to apply any critical thought whatsoever to his hosed-up worldview. Tosh isn't on the level as Dice-Clay, but it's a difference of degree. The point is that this "just comedy" defense doesn't work; comedians shouldn't have carte blanche to say literally any hosed up thing they want onstage.

Dice is actually really funny. He stumbled into a gimmick that made him alot of money but The Day The Laughter Died is solid proof that he was the real deal.

Are you kidding me.

You realize that Hicks literally said "Hitler had the right idea, he was just an underachiever." to a heckler (in a lovely crowd) that kept yelling Freebird at him, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxZ0huW54Xs

DannoMack posted:

It looks like Louis CK deleted his tweet complimenting Tosh, too. I guess because the timing seemed like some sort of rape joke support?

I wouldn't go that far. Louis deletes tweets all the time (his best are when he's drunk on an airplane)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Politicalrancor posted:

I knew it was a really bad idea to check this thread.

Its nice to see a bunch of White Male Comedians defending their "right" to say rape jokes. Glad you guys have brought in perspectives of people who have a greater chance of sexual abuse, you know, women?

Rape really just isnt funny, and if you do find it funny you are a really gross, rear end in a top hat misogynist. Go ahead and continue to laugh and re-tell and defend them if you want, I can't stop you.

Most of you fucks suck, don't understand censorship, and are the problem with ending misogyny in comedy. gently caress you.

Now, I posted multiple examples of the top names in comedy telling the crowd to physically assault or murder a heckler messing up their act. Where's the big hysterical freakout about that?

Why do you get to say where the line is for them?

Tosh tried to roll with the punches during a show and failed. Louis C.K did, arguably, the funniest joke on rape during his HBO special and nobody batted an eye. He did it in an aloof manner and succeeded. It's up to the entertainer to decide whether they wants to walk out on the tight rope.

Jim Norton yells all the time about how certain people should get AIDS and die. Doesn't he know the AIDS epidemic is a really serious problem? It isn't funny to wish death on somebody. Doug Stanhope says the words human being and friend of the family in his act. Doesn't he realize the history of those words and how they hurt? How can he be so callous?

If somebody does something in an unfunny, uninteresting way...give them the poo poo they deserve but don't go to the extreme that a subject can never be funny or interesting or even approached.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic, you have either missed the point of every post you've quoted so far, or you've posted some variation of "X comic is okay with rape jokes, so what's the problem" which, big surprise, is not the point.

How does this come across as "X comic is okay with rape jokes, so what's the problem"?

Sporadic posted:

It's up to the entertainer to decide whether they wants to walk out on the tight rope.

(...)

If somebody does something in an unfunny, uninteresting way...give them the poo poo they deserve but don't go to the extreme that a subject can never be funny or interesting or even approached.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I'm going to get poo poo for this but the first thing I thought of, while reading that, was circumcision. Almost 60% of dudes in America do get their dicks cut on (as babies) and you can sure as poo poo bet that female comedians joke about it. Not only joke about it but joke about it in a positive manner. Whitney Cummings did a small bit on it where she says that all men think about sex because all women are beautiful but women aren't obsessed with sex because all men are disgusting, that our penis is so ugly that they have to cut some of it off just to make it halfway presentable. That an uncircumcised penis is horrible.

Here's the thing, even though I think that's wrong and unfunny, that doesn't mean she doesn't get to approach the topic. And if I was in the audience, I would be an rear end in a top hat if I stood up and tried to interrupt her show over it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DannoMack posted:

I've never heard a comedian tell the story of their first time on stage and have it go well.

Dave Chappelle is the only comedian I can think of that said he did a good job during his first time on stage (during Inside The Actor's Studio) and I believe him. The way he told the story, he looked like a kid so I bet that made the audience more sympathetic towards him.

Which made the story of him getting booed off the stage at the Apollo a few weeks later even better.

But he had a rocket type career.

jyrka posted:

I think what the famous comedians are saying about their first time on stage really depends on whatever narrative they're trying to paint at that moment. Obviously their first performance went well enough to want to do it again.

I doubt it. Most comedians talk about how they ate complete balls on stage the first time but the rush of being in front of an audience made them strive to try to become better.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Fil5000 posted:

Barrage, that's an awesome story. Did you manage to speak to Norm afterwards? Pretty much all I've seen of him is his Celebrity Jeopardy appearances, I should really go find more of his stuff.

His standup isn't that great but his talk show appearances are legendary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0WayC7jW0

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rear end Catchcum posted:

You have never been more wrong about anything in your life, congrats.

Maybe it's better live? The two CDs I heard did nothing for me (which was strange considering how much I love his talk show appearances and the movie Dirty Work)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ariza posted:

Has anyone read this? http://www.kristinelevine.com/2012/07/28/prison-show-blowing-the-bars-off-the-dump/ This lady is loving awesome and very funny. Doug Stanhope seems to be championing her, but don't hold that against her.

Stanhope rules :colbert:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ron White decided to go the same route Louis C.K took.

http://ronwhitespecial.com/

I haven't heard anything of his since his first album and the story Doug Stanhope told about him isn't too encouraging (he buys jokes from other comedians like Andy Andrist and told Doug "I buy good jokes, take the teeth out of them and than they applaud me") but who knows, maybe it's good?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 28, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The really jaded part of me thinks this was all set up from the beginning. Louis just happened to be out in LA to be a guest performer at Tig's show, the venue just happened to record the set, alot of big name comedians tweet that it the greatest show of anything ever, and Louis ends up talking her into selling it on his website.

Not that it's that big of a deal even if it's true (medical bills are a motherfucker) but I'm curious to see if it actually lives up to the hype.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You mis-typed "crazy".

ta-mato to-mota

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SpacePig posted:

I don't think I've heard anything since the Carnegie Hall album. Has he really gotten that bad?

Terrible. He rambles and stutters and stumbles around stale topics in silence until HE GETS REALLY LOUD which gets him laughs or he makes goofy faces which get him pity applause.

He went from an interesting guy with relevant jokes (at least for the time) to old man "gee whiz can you believe these cell phones? it's like a computer in my hand!" observations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bubba Smith posted:

He's the best comic I've ever seen live, and I've seen him live three times since 2006 and I am planning to see him again later this year.

But I guess it depends what you want to see. The reason why I love seeing Doug Stanhope live is because his set doesn't feel fake. He'll sometimes talk to the audience in the middle of a bit if he feels like it or gets bored. He doesn't really care if he forgets to do a joke, and he'll tell you when he does. I love that his sets are flawed and that he's honest about it. You'll get plenty of his comedy too, but you'll also get to see Doug being himself in the moment. Most comedians aren't comfortable at all with doing that on stage, while Doug does it pretty much every night.

Yeah, I've never seen Doug live but there are a few soundboard bootlegs floating around and they are extremely interesting to listen to. Live At The Empty Bottle is basically him working a rock club and he's controls this rowdy crowd other comics would fall apart in.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

-Atom- posted:

Uhh, what?

First Trent Reznor signs to a major and now Louis is heading back to HBO. It is what it is, and I don't really care that much since I'm a subscriber but I kind of liked the whole "directly towards the artist" way of distributing his specials.

It makes sense...kinda.

If you want to grow your fanbase, when you are already established, you have to play ball with the major corporations. Granted HBO isn't going to help when he's doing the late night rounds and SNL but they probably paid to play. The whole reason why he released the last special online was because the online players (Netflix/etc) offered him peanuts for it when he was shopping it around.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

New Kyle Kinane special TONIGHT on Comedy Central at 11 EST!

Nice! And the album is coming out on the 27th.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

New Kyle Kinane special TONIGHT on Comedy Central at 11 EST!

This was great but there were two unintentional things made me laugh.

- Them only cutting to smiling Asian people during his Asians bit.
- Five people slowly standing up at the end for a standing o...and nobody else joining in.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Chromatic posted:

Quoting myself because I found out that this is for a documentary Andrist and Stanhope are putting out at a later date called "Groomed". From the teaser/trailer, it looks really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fbdU785ns

I really hope they go through Louis C.K's hook up instead of trying to find a traditional distributor. That deserves a large audience and an avalanche of money.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Trailer for the new Louis C.K HBO Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEtAfAa67TY

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Al! posted:

Speaking of PFT, I found out recently that he was a character in the 70s Star Trek cartoon.

He lost a lot of hair, though.

He also had a cameo in the 1992 Tinto Brass classic, All Ladies Do It

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 28, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Humble Bundle is doing a Comedy Bundle

Maria Bamford - The Special Special Special (Video)
Tig Notaro - Live (Audio)
Hannibal Buress - My Name Is Hannibal (Audio)
Jim Norton - Please Be Offended (Video)

Beat the average to get

Louis C.K - Live At The Beacon Theater (Audio/Video)
Patrice O'Neal - Unreleased (Audio)
Patrice O'Neal - Mr. P (Audio)

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Popelmon posted:

I bought the Humble Comedy Bundle and I just tried to watch the Jim Norton special and man is it bad. Is he considered to be good? I quit after ~25 minutes but I doubt it got any better.

His stand up is hack as hell.

But he shines on the radio since he's quick as lightning in the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JfSi1hFcTk

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Todd Glass - Todd Glass Talks About Stuff (Audio/Video)
Gary Gulman - In This Economy? (Video)
I Am Comic Documentary (Video)

were just added to the Humble Bundle. I've only seen I Am Comic and it's a pretty decent documentary (minus following around some guy trying to make it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm not entirely sure if this should go hear or if I should be making a ask/tell thread, but I decided that next week I'm going to try doing stand up at an open mic in New Haven. I was just wondering if there was anyone else here who does it could give some tips for a first timer.

There's a thread over in CC about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517952