Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Amy Schumer killed last night in her one hour special. I am excited now for Anthony Jeselnecks special. Anyone else like Jamie Killstein? He is one of my favorites and here is him discussing Gay Marriage

Also regarding Amy Schumer they censored "swallow" and "face" as in c*m on her f*ce.

I had heard good things about Amy Schumer for a while, but I didn't stop laughing throughout her special. I've never liked Sarah Silverman's on-stage persona or her schtick, but Amy was like Sarah "done right" -- all the raunchy sex talk, but somehow good-natured instead of mean or off-putting. Does that make sense? My wife had gone to bed early, but she would have loved every moment of it too. (Comedy Central is repeating it at 12:25 AM, and I'll wake her up just to watch it with me.)

This has been a good year for seeing comedians. I caught Louis C.K. last fall on a trip to Baltimore, and I've seen Jim Gaffigan, Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and Josh Blue in Florida this year, and have tickets to Louis again around Thanksgiving. I fantasize about doing an open-mic night myself, but I don't think I would have enough material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Actually a little disappointed by Todd Glass' special. It felt like a lot of it was retreading Thin Pig. On the other hand, Moshe's was my first exposure to his actual material and it made me laugh myself silly.

I first discovered Moshe Kasher doing a short set on Conan earlier this year, and he killed, especially talking about his deaf parents. Then I found out he had just written an autobiographical book called Kasher in the Rye, and I was really excited to read it. It was one of the most depressing books I've ever read, though. He had a miserable childhood and did a lot of lovely things as a drug-addicted juvenile delinquent. It's good to see how much he has turned his life around, but I was stunned by his honesty and willingness to portray himself in such a horrible (and accurate) light.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone seen Amy Schumer live? The AV Club just mentioned she's touring in the first few months of 2013, and she'll be in my town in April. My wife and I LOVED her recent special, "Mostly Sex Stuff," but I was just hoping she'd have new material for this tour.

Here are the dates, by the way: http://www.amyschumer.com/tour

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The pHo posted:

Ah drat, she's playing NYC a few days after I leave. At least I learnt of a special I hadn't seen, so that's some consolation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaQRcrkdtw
You're welcome.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
John Mulaney has shot up my personal rankings over the last year to become my second-favorite stand-up comic after Louis C.K.. (Sorry, Jim Gaffigan!) Both of his albums are incredible, and he gets bonus points for writing every single Stefon bit for Bill Hader on Weekend Update. At one point I wanted him to join the SNL cast, but now I think that would cramp his style too much. I'd love to see him live.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone seen Amy Schumer live? The AV Club just mentioned she's touring in the first few months of 2013, and she'll be in my town in April. My wife and I LOVED her recent special, "Mostly Sex Stuff," but I was just hoping she'd have new material for this tour.

Here are the dates, by the way: http://www.amyschumer.com/tour

drat, Amy Schumer canceled her tour date in Orlando, and I just got the automatic refund on our tickets. It was kind of an expensive show, but we were still psyched to see her. I wonder what happened.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

Oh goddammit. You and me could have hung out at the show.

Motherfucker.

Do you ever go to comedy stuff in Orlando? I saw Jim Gaffigan at the Hard Rock and Josh Blue at the Improv last year, but I hardly ever go out anywhere or do anything anymore.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

No, because there isn't a lot of comedy stuff around here. Last person I saw was Doug Stanhope in 2008.

Seth Meyers was in town earlier this week but uhhh... I don't like him. Paul Mooney did four shows in town last week, and I found out the day after he did his last show. :(

I love live comedy though. It's so much better than watching it on TV or listening to an album (which is still amazing). You can't match that electric atmosphere.

I've seen Todd Barry, Louis CK, Patton Oswalt and John Mulaney, back in September of '07. Within a week of each other. Every one was great.

I might just start going to the Improv to see random, no-name comics.

I'd go once in a while, but I'm on the far side of town from it. I believe the Drunken Monkey coffeehouse on Bumby has a stand-up open mic night, and there's also the comedy club in that hotel off I-4 on West Colonial (downtown) that sometimes gives away free tickets. I've gone to SAK a handful of times, but I'm just not as into the clean improv comedy they perform.

I've traveled to see Louis CK (Tampa last fall, and I just happened to be in Baltimore the same night he was there the year before), and I caught Donald Glover, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, and D.C. Pierson at the South Beach Comedy Festival last year. Back in Gainesville in the late '90s, I was lucky to see George Carlin (he was still awesome) and Bill Cosby (long past his prime).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

Good lord, dude... I just checked ticket prices for upcoming shows. Amy canceled her show, right?

Bo Burnham is playing at the end of May, for $30.

Daniel Tosh's shows at the Bob Carr start at $73 a piece. I wouldn't pay that much to see any comedian.

I'd pay that much not to see Tosh, but he's probably one of the top two or three stand-ups in the country right now, having cashed in on the Dane Cook douche-bro market.

And yes, unfortunately Amy canceled -- I got all the automated e-mails from the venue and from Ticketfly, and they already refunded my money.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Fair enough. I've only seen him on Tosh.0, so it's possible his stand-up is better than I thought. I'm inclined to dislike him because of his public persona, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I know this isn't the right thread for a podcast question, but I have no idea which of the many podcast threads to ask in.

I only recently discovered Paul F. Tompkins, catching an older half-hour special of his on HBO Go. It was more of an extended monologue or a one-man show than typical stand-up, him at a "bar," mostly talking about drinking. It isn't the usual kind of comedy I seek out, but I enjoyed it enough, and I know he is held in very high esteem by comedy nerds. I know he does a ton of different podcasts, but apparently he does some in character as Ice-T, with the voice and everything? My wife and I ironically love Ice-T on Law and Order: SVU and crack up over John Mulaney's bit about his character, so I'd love to hear Tompkins' Ice-T impression.

And aside from that, what else do I absolutely NEED to listen to or watch?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey escape artist, did you ever do any open mic nights in Orlando? I just replied to your old post in the Florida thread, before noticing you posted it back in March.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Amy Schumer canceled her Orlando show, which would have been a few weeks ago, but we got tickets to see her in Tampa tonight, two hours away. She hardly repeated any material from "Mostly Sex Stuff," but she did recycle several bits we've already seen on the two aired episodes of Inside Amy Schumer and some of the promos for upcoming episodes. She peppered in a good deal of brand-new, unfamiliar material that I suspect we'll see on the show in some form or another this season.

Despite one loud, rude, drunk, possibly coked-up, and unfortunately pro wrestler-sized heckler in the audience (who she politely acknowledged, seemingly appeasing him), it was a great show and well worth the drive out of town. I'm really glad we got to see her live after all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For anyone with Amazon Prime, they have added every season of Comedy Central Presents: Stand-Up to their free streaming options. There are performances by some really fantastic comics if you look through every season, including what have to be very early, unpolished sets.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't have PMs, but feel free to shoot me an e-mail at saxman2 AT hotmail.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished watching Moshe Kasher's stand-up special on Netflix, and it is one of the strongest hours of comedy I've ever seen -- practically on par with Louis C.K.'s better specials. We did not stop laughing the entire time. I strongly recommend it to everyone here, unless this is old news and you've all already discovered his greatness.

I read his autobiographical book The Kasher in the Rye when it came out last year, a depressing and harrowing story of his troubled childhood as the son of deaf parents and his heavy drug use and criminal behavior between the ages of 12 and 16. He's clean and sober now, college-educated, obviously brilliant, and funny as hell.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'm going on a road trip soon and I need stand-up comedy albums to keep me company. Probably about 10 of them. Any suggestions?

My favorite comedians are Dylan Moran, Brendan Burns, Sam Simmons and Louis CK.

Both of John Mulaney's albums are great: The Top Part and New in Town. Kyle Kinane's Whiskey Icarus is fantastic as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm traveling to a work conference in Seattle tomorrow, which is awesome, but arriving too late to attend an incredible-sounding stand-up show with H. Jon Benjamin, Kristen Schaal, Eugene Mirman, Marc Maron, and Kurt Braunohler (for only $22.50). It starts at 8, and my plane doesn't touch down until 8:30-ish. Between getting through the airport, finding a cab downtown, and checking into my hotel, there's absolutely no way I can make that happen.

But Aisha Tyler is going to be speaking somewhere on Saturday night since her new book just came out, and she's funny and entertaining (and it's only $5), so I might go see her. (Her stand-up special streaming on Netflix is really good, for anyone who hasn't seen it, and it's not just "lady humor.")

Funny, last time I traveled for work, I got to see Amber Nash and Lucky Yates do an improv performance outside Atlanta (and met them afterwards), so I seem to end up near Archer cast members whenever I leave the state.

UPDATE: First flight was delayed two hours, missed the connecting flight by twelve minutes, so I didn't get to Seattle until 1 AM last night. Glad I didn't hope for the best and buy advance tickets to that show.

But I saw Aisha Tyler tonight, and she was awesome. She didn't even do a stand-up set, just read a hilarious, poignant, and poetic chapter from her book and did a funny and insightful Q&A session with the audience. She is so drat cool, and very openly nerdy (and smart and funny and gorgeous).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 14, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

Not to rub it in, but I managed to find out and go to that show the day of, and it was quite amazing. It also had Kyle Dunnigan and Jon Glaser. I think Marc Maron having to follow (and complain about following) improv from Glaser and Benjamin was quite unique . You also got to witness Marc Maron's Dave Attell, Eugene Mirman, and David Cross impersonations which were either spot on or stupid depending on how into comedy you are.

Its almost bizarre how good Glaser and Benjamin were good at improvising from nothing and making it hilarious.

Well I'm glad someone got to go! I didn't think a show like that could disappoint.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

Jeselnik will be at Hard Rock in October, btw. I'm absolutely going, even if I have to go alone.

Josh Blue is returning to the Improv in November, and my wife and I will definitely be there for him again. Jeselnik's humor is just too mean-spirited for me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've recently discovered how great Jessi Klein is, after catching her half-hour Comedy Central Presents special from 2011-ish (seriously, Amazon Prime has almost all of those available to stream), and then she did a five-minute set on last night's new John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show that is worth catching.

I know she's a writer for Inside Amy Schumer (I can only imagine how much fun it would be listening to Jessi, Amy, and Tig Notaro in the writers' room), and I'm following her Twitter now, but what else of hers is out there?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We're going to see Josh Blue on Saturday night at our local Improv comedy club. He is a hippie-looking guy with cerebral palsy, and he's hilarious. I believe he won Last Comic Standing at one point, and we love him.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I got to sit in the front row to see Nikki Glaser last night, and even met her and chatted for a moment on our way out of the club. She's absolutely gorgeous in person, and super-nice, and hilarious. I'd really like to see her go on to big things. I know she and Amy Schumer (who we've also seen) perform very similar material, but it seems like they are friends, and they did that "Women Who Kill" special together.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ariza posted:

I'm fat and Hispanic! That's funny, right?

This guy just seems like the hackiest, most obnoxious comedian ever, focus-grouped to appeal to people's parents. I work with an annoying older woman who loves him, and she has pretty awful taste in general. Does he have any redeeming material at all?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I saw Patton Oswald's new special and thought it was great. His bit about his daughter and going to the grocery store were the highlights for me.

We watched that a few nights ago, and it was great. After his story about trying on the too-tight pants and wanting to get a colander to wear on his head, he dropped a stupid little comment about joining the "boo-boo parade," and followed it with a little dance and a nonsense song like "Boo boo, bee bee bee, PEEE!", and that just slayed us. I don't remember the last time my wife laughed so hard at anything, and it was just a little silly throwaway moment.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pice of poo poo posted:

Is there a site I could buy the new Chelsea Peretti special from? I don't have netflix and I'm not looking to subscribe.

If you've never subscribed to Netflix, you can usually get the first month for free and then cancel before you get charged. They have a lot of great stand-up specials right now, if you haven't seen them: lots of Louis C.K., Jim Gaffigan, Aziz Ansari, Patton Oswalt (just watched his "My Weakness Is Strong," and holy poo poo, it's funny), John Mulaney, and Moshe Kasher.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
What is this all from?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone has Showtime, they're showing a Tig Notaro documentary where she and Jon Dore traveled across the country to do stand-up sets at various fans' houses, for the fans' families and friends. They are both hilarious, and I love their camaraderie. It's more of a tour documentary than a straight stand-up special, but still very entertaining.

I scored tickets to see Tig in late May, so I'm looking forward to her more than ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I knew it was just a special, but now I'm depressed it wasn't a miniseries! They probably had hours of usable, hilarious footage from all those shows, plus their time traveling and screwing around. I even liked the musical acts they showed.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Saw Tig Notaro tonight, and she was delightful, as you would expect.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail is finally coming back for its second season on Comedy Central, and for any of you who have free OnDemand service through your cable company, you might be able to watch the entire first season again for free.

I've never been to L.A. to catch the live show, but I absolutely love the TV show. It captures the energy of being at an intimate stand-up gig better than anything else I've seen, Kumail and Jonah are charming hosts, Emily V. Gordon is adorable, and I love the backstage banter between all the comedians hanging out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Watched Tig, the new Tig Notaro documentary on Netflix last night, and it was great. This is really the Year of Tig (and so well-deserved), between her Showtime tour documentary, this more serious documentary about her cancer and everything that followed, and now she's getting her own show on Amazon, co-writing it with Diablo Cody, with Louis C.K. producing.

The Netflix documentary also reveals Tig's adorable girlfriend, who she mentioned almost giddily when I saw her live a few months back. If you're any kind of fan at all, you can't help but be thrilled for her, doing so well now after so many setbacks and so much suffering.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Eugene Mirman has a relatively new special on Netflix that I really enjoyed. I knew who he is, but I wasn't familiar with any of his other work. Really silly, but clever. And I couldn't get over how much his voice sounds like H. Jon Benjamin.

I am sad that this season of The Meltdown is over. It looks like the most fun live comedy show ever, especially the backstage segments. I love Kumail and Jonah's on-stage banter, and Emily V. Gordon could not be any more adorable.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night we resubscribed to HBO, just so we could watch the new Amy Schumer and Tig Notaro specials. Both were tremendously entertaining. Tig's special was the exact show we saw earlier this year, except she didn't take her shirt off when we saw her. We're also listening to the recent Comedy Bang Bang podcast episode with Tig and Stephanie Allyne being adorable and talking about their relationship.

I'm going to cancel HBO again, though. We've seen all the shows we care to see, the movie selection is awful, and they have some of the worst hacks of all time in their older comedy specials.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jodai posted:

Did you use HBO Now or did you actually subscribe and watch it on demand? I've been curious to hear people's impressions of HBOs new service.

We have cable anyway, so we resubscribed through our cable company (Bright House; don't much like them), watched Amy on demand, and watched Tig via HBO Go through our Xbox 360.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Comedy Central just announced Nikki Glaser's first hour special, "Perfect," premieres Saturday, April 9th.

I'm enjoying the hell out of her Not Safe show, and I've seen her perform live. She is an excellent stand-up and a future star. On the surface, you might dismiss her as an Amy Schumer ripoff (another pretty blonde talking about sex and what a terrible person she is), but I like that Nikki doesn't go for the occasional off-putting cheap shots or go quite as offensive as Amy and Sarah Silverman sometimes do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
She's in recovery too, which is cool. That has to be a tough business for someone trying not to drink.

My wife and I sat in the front row when we saw her set, and on our way out, we passed her in the bar area, and she smiled a thousand-watt smile and said she recognized us from the front row, and thanked us for coming. I really wish we had asked for a photo with her, but we didn't want to annoy her.

She's gorgeous, too. Inside and out. Just stunningly beautiful, funny as hell, and apparently really nice, from all accounts.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The release date of Patton's new special has been announced for at least a few weeks. I was really looking forward to watching it this weekend, along with Rachel Feinstein's new special, which premieres tonight on Comedy Central.

I hope this wasn't related in any way, but Netflix definitely isn't trying to promote the special in any kind of sleazy, tasteless way. It's (hopefully) just a terrible coincidence.

I feel awful, because he seems like such a good dude, and he always reminds me a little of myself at my absolute best. I don't have any kids, but I would be absolutely destroyed if I suddenly lost my wife, with no warning, at such a young age.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Ali Wong's new Netflix special, "Baby Cobra," was hilarious. My wife and I saw her open for John Mulaney last year, and she killed then and was even funnier after fine-tuning that set and adding some new material for the special. Not that all female comics are the same, but we laughed more than we did from the most recent Amy Schumer, Tig Notaro, Nikki Glaser, and Rachel Feinstein specials... and probably also more than we did from Louis C.K.'s latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Michael Ian Black has a new special on Epix (does anyone else even get Epix?) that had us rolling. I've always been a huge fan of the State/Stella alumni, but I hadn't seen him do stand-up before, and he killed it.

Last night my wife and I watched that, followed by Bob Saget's one special on Netflix, and even though she was convinced she would hate both, she pleasantly surprised both of us by laughing almost nonstop through them. I saw Saget live a few years ago, and even though his material can even be too crass for me sometimes, I love his rapid-fire, stream-of-consciousness delivery. I get the impression he's a really smart guy.