Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Just because it happens a lot doesn't mean it's right. I wish cell phones could be checked at doors so this wouldn't happen.

Also, the belief that recording someone's image in public without their permission is an okay thing to do, this why I never leave my bed covers.

Lastly, I don't think Myq Kaplan is very funny at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I still don't think this will become a thing. It really only works for established acts like Louis C.K.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

indigi posted:

If by "it really only works for established acts" you mean "the only two people to do it that I personally know of to this point in time have been established acts" then sure. Seems really silly to completely write off a brand new distribution model based on no evidence.

For Chris Rock or Jerry Seinfeld or anybody a lot of people know, it will work*. I don't think the model is going to work for Aziz because he isn't as popular (or, imo, his standup isn't as funny) as those people and others. There are A LOT of people who are on the bubble as to whether the model would work or not, e.g. Jim Gaffigan or maybe even PFT.

Radiohead tried the same thing a while back and it worked for them. I don't see a lot of (or any?) other bands trying it nowadays.

*=For the model to work, I mean that the comedian will make more money going the Louis C.K. route(CKR) as opposed to the potential fixed sales(PFS). So, if CKR > PFS, then by all means go ahead with it. But if PFS>CKR, then hold up son, we have to go through TicketMaster/LiveNation. If the artist doesn't care about revenue, then go CKR.

Edit: Fixed some errors. It's too hot.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 21, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Sporadic posted:

Um, alot of artists still do this. Just because they don't get press like Radiohead did doesn't mean it isn't happening or that they aren't able to support themselves on it.

Okay, I'm trying to go off personal experience because I don't know where to get the data on the subject. I'll take your word that a lot of artists are doing this.

Let's put it another way. A comedian or band or whatever asks you to pay what you think this thing they created deserves. If you know this artist's prior work, and you like the prior work, you're more likely to pay a premium for the product. If, however, I come up to you and tell you that I just made this comedic record and that it's really good, and you can pay me what you want for it, would you pay me $15 or $8? Or less?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Chelsea Peretti is going to be in Tacoma but I have no way to get there. :( drat my lack of transportation.

Her act is pretty good from what I hear.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Kinison revolutionized saying things loudly.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I was Black in 2005 and thought he was good. Haven't heard anything from him since though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Internet journalism.