Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So Doug Stanhope has gone from being one of my favorite stand-ups to just blah with his last two releases. I was hoping Oslo was just a misstep and he'd come back strong from that, but Before Turning the Gun on Himself is boring as poo poo, pretty one-note, and not very entertaining. He sounds like a bitter, jaded alcoholic (which he did before) but now he's taken that next step and it's no longer funny. Maybe I'm just growing out of that style though as I get older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I like comedy. I'm not a privileged middle class white male. Does that somehow make my opinion more valid in this pointless argument?

Edit- being offended by anything at all that anyone says is stupid. Especially jokes. I mean that in any way possible as far as you want to take it. The second it crosses over to anything physical, then I'll join in on the hatred train.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 11, 2012

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You can think something is horrible and still laugh at it, and it doesn't make you a bad person. And i am also more offended by murder than rape, and I don't understand how people are not. But I'm not a church, so my morals and thoughts are my own and I don't like to force them on others. I know everyone thinks they're important these days, but surprise! You're not special and you only think the way you do because of genetics and chance. It's not because you're better than anyone.

Was anyone else annoyed that Gaffigan put his special on netflix?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Maarak posted:

I paid for tickets to the showing where that special was taped, but I didn't get offended when the special went on sale for 10% of what I paid.

Did you watch it on a TV in a room with a bunch of people? If not, I'm not sure I understand your point. I'd love to see him live though. I've only been to a handful of live shows and they were all people I'd never heard of. It was still so much better in person. That could have been the booze though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

DannoMack posted:

Right before I finally got around to buying it I decided I wanted to re-watch some of his earlier stuff and searched his name on Netflix and Mr. Universe came up. I'm sure the money he got from netflix more than makes up for not getting my five dollars though.

I don't even find him very funny, but I wanted to award all of them trying this method of distribution because it fits into my $25 a month entertainment budget better than a $10 audio only experience. I'm not upset because I would pay for it again, just annoyed.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Why don't some of you regale us with your favorite rape based humor, there must be plenty of it to be worth defending so hard. Don't give us Louis ck as its already been done and posted. I mean these must be hilarious jokes that us "sensitive" types just don't get, so enlighten us with some hilarious rape jokes.

You're missing the entire point that people are making, either on purpose or you're just very dumb.

edit- Most women don't live in a constant state of fear of being raped. If you really think that, you need to get out of the creepy bubble that you live in.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 13, 2012

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Can someone recommend some comedians like Jeselnik? I like his style and timing. I've listened to all of the big names, but I'm sure I missed somebody. I wish he'd just put out another album.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

jyrka posted:

Jimmy Carr is really similar.

I think I've seen most everything he's ever done, but that's exactly what I'm looking for. Filthy offensive jokes that aren't long stories.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Little Blue Couch posted:

Amy Schumer has a pretty similar sorta deal.
I love Amy Schumer and she's probably the closest to Jeselnik in style that I've found. Just like him though, she's only got the one album and I've already heard it a dozen times.

jyrka posted:

Give Stewart Francis a go as well.
I had never heard him before, so thanks! He reminds me of Jimmy Carr in that after five minutes I've heard so many jokes that I'm exhausted. He doesn't seem to be as punny as Carr and I haven't decided if that's a good or a bad thing. He also seems to talk about loving young girls a lot less and that's always a plus, as I find it kind of creepy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Aisha posted:

This is the funniest use of the concept of "safe space" I've seen in a while.

Yep, men need a "safe space" to tell rape jokes.

And not only that, but they do it for their own good! I suppose rape victims really ought to be thanking men who make rape jokes! We don't want it to be "shied away from". Seriously? At least joff is honest with his "my laughter is worth more than a woman's feelings".

You can confront rape without making a joke of it, or, as Tosh does, using the threat of rape to silence a woman. That's not confronting rape; that legitimizes and makes light of rape.

Do you guys have a siren that goes off somewhere when something happens that you don't agree with? Your only posts in this thread are telling people how stupid they are and how right you are.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So I'm trying to get into this Twitter thing. I've got louisck, Patton, Jeselnik, Kinane, and Seinfeld. Are there any other stand ups that are good to follow? I can't believe I've never tried this before. Stupid little funny jokes randomly throughout the day are good for the mind.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
You guys are the best. It's hard finding people I like who actually send stuff out enough to care about.

DerbyTime!!! posted:

Follow @DuncanTrussell, @PeteHolmez, @ChelseaVPeretti, @nottjmiller, @littleesther

Is TJ Miller funny? I thought I saw him on an episode of Funny as Hell and it wasn't very good. His voice is very distinct though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Has anyone read this? http://www.kristinelevine.com/2012/07/28/prison-show-blowing-the-bars-off-the-dump/ This lady is loving awesome and very funny. Doug Stanhope seems to be championing her, but don't hold that against her.

Politicalrancor posted:

the one where the TV is black and turned off because you shouldn't watch a sweaty man flail around a stage for an hour.

You are the worst. You shouldn't read about her or watch her or you might work yourself into a tizzy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Stanhope rules :colbert:

I wish I still liked him. He was my favorite for awhile, but his last two albums were not very good in my opinion. Plus I know he rubs a lot of people the wrong way with his drunken abrasiveness. I need to find a new angry drunk with just a little more hope left.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hey guys.

I was wondering, why is Kevin Hart so popular, and should I be finding him funny at all?

I tried to watch his standup, and found it really dull. Seemed to be him just telling stories while pounding his chest.

He's loving awful. My friend bought tickets to go see him but I absolutely refused to go with him. We don't usually have a lot of famous black comedians to go see in my hometown, so when one shows up it sells out real quick. This is why I saw Steve Harvey do standup a few years back. I did as many drugs as I could when I left, but I can still remember some of what he said.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
So has there been any rumblings about Jeselnik putting out something new? He's my fave, but roasts can only hold me for so long. A cursory search and check of his site show nothing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Both Aziz Ansari and Chris Hardwick have new hour long specials on Comedy Central this Saturday, plus they're rerunning Amy Schumer's hour long. That's a pretty great block of comedy.

Amy Schumer censored by Comedy Central seems like it would be pretty terrible (see It's Always Sunny). Do they ever play the stand-ups uncensored like they do with South Park real late at night?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

TJ Miller and Don Glover are legitimately solid rappers.

That's loving hilarious! I've got Glover, but I never would have suspected TJ Miller's big goofy rear end and weird loving voice. It'll take a minute, but I think I could get used to it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Any comedian that gives up a funny joke in order to not offend or to satisfy a few people with megaphones is never going to be a 'great' comedian. If history is any indicator, this seems to be an absolute. This trend of overblowing everything and histrionics at every perceived slight will eventually go away. It's a very new phenomenon amongst young people. In the 80s it was solely the realm of 78 year old catholic widows and politicians because it took more than a modicum of effort to bask in the glory of reflected persecution without the internet.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

nerve posted:

Their points are usually not that they have to hear it but that telling rape jokes can perpetuate the already lovely rape culture.

If there was any proof that this was true in any way or that the way it's dealt with was helpful in any way then we wouldn't be having this boring rear end conversation again. It's all conjecture based on feelings. As long as people on the internet's idea that 'shouting down' any idea that they disagree with is productive, there will never be an honest discussion and nothing will ever happen.

Edit - this guy right below is exactly what I'm saying. I don't mean I agree with him, he's just exactly the caricature I was talking about.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 3, 2013

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Ugh.

Has anyone been following Amy Schumer's show? I watched the first three episodes and started to find it tedious, despite loving her standup. Does it get any better? I do like Comedy Central giving all the funny comics out there shows. I'd say it ranks thusly (new shows): The Kroll Show>Nathan for You>Legit>Inside Amy Schumer>Jeselnik's thing>The Ben Show(I really tried, I like him)>Jeff Ross' dumb show.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

I'm really loving bummed out by it, frankly. It seemed so promising, and some of the sketches were great, and I actually know one of the writers on the show... every writer on there being brilliant in their own way. But god it's just not enjoyable to watch. I took it off my DVR after last week.

I just looked it up and it seems her show was renewed too and it premiered number one with males 18-34 and kept good numbers. So it's only The Ben Show in the new crop of Comedy Central shows that didn't get renewed. I listened to some interviews/podcasts with him and I wouldn't be surprised if he killed himself in the next year or so. I'll try it again next season and hope they find their footing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dip Facial posted:

Regardless of how you feel about the Norton/West thing, I really liked this particular moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtUb_E1qUHA&t=522s

It's not really fair to put a longtime radio personality and stand up comedian who talks all day for a living up against a person who doesn't. That was like watching one of those evolution debates on YouTube.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The couple episodes of Ben Show I watched seemed like they were halfway into the creative process and then were all of a sudden made to film what they had.

Also, isn't Legit an FX show?

Yeah Legit is on FX, that's why I put new shows in parentheses though looking at it now that didn't make any sense. I'm not real sure why I included it because it's not really anything like the others. Ben Show had some good bits. I loving loved the Yobitchuaries! and the cartoon crack stories from Todd Bridges. He did a lot of the 'cringe worthy' interviews with people where he's subtly making fun of them, but those usually just made me uncomfortable, though I can see why people would like them.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

^^Thanks pal.

I know you like to follow me around and try and be a dick, but I know of LaughStub and they actually suck and are always incomplete. They're missing Kamau Bell and Daniel Tosh shows in my area in the next month, just for example.

And another example:

Results for "Doug Stnahope"

No upcoming events found.

Doug Stanhope has been on tour for a long time, and isn't going to stop for a while. LaughStub is awful.

What was that thing you said to me? "Oh, gently caress off" -- good advice. Maybe you should practice what you preach.

Don't forget, ignore exists on these forums and is a beautiful tool. I put all the mean and rude people and people who take the internet seriously on there. It's so much nicer. I already had that person on ignore too!

Is Bert Kreischer's standup any good? I think I may be insane, but I bought myself a ticket to go see Gilbert Gottfried. He's funny as poo poo in tiny doses, but I have no idea what a full set from him entails.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
He seemed sort of funny on that comedian tour with him, Patton, and Bamford, but everything since then has been dumb. I hate his cookie monster voice when he's talking about trying to get his hot wife to gently caress him and other ogrish things. He should stick to voice over work and one episode spots on random tv shows. I think without Patton he would've faded long ago.

Edit- stupid phone.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 27, 2013

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Jeselnik will be at Hard Rock in October, btw. I'm absolutely going, even if I have to go alone.

Thanks for this! Last time I checked his website, he wasn't coming to my lovely city. Now to pray my wife gets the night off so I can actually go.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dip Facial posted:

I know I've seen him in other stuff and found him funny but holy poo poo that special is hilarious.

According to his wikipedia that's his only special?

He was great on the Jeselnik Offensive too, I would love to see more of his stand up.

He does some horrible podcast about video games, but no matter how much I like him I couldn't finish an episode. Listening to people talk about video games makes me sad. Speaking of the Jeselnik Offensive, he really needs to stick to standups as guests because that girl was awful this week.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I think you meant Todd Barry, not Dave Barry, but that kind of makes it funnier.

My mind didn't get to Todd Barry so I was really loving confused. I'd love to read a 'Dave Barry on oval office' book. My Grandma might cry though.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Exhibit A: Andrew Dice Clay. Went from headlining MSG to being nothing pretty quick.

I watched a Dice special when I was a kid that my Dad had taped off of HBO and told one of his nursery rhymes to my third grade class. It did not end well for me and I have hated him ever since. I'm shocked that he still shows up on podcasts and such. I figured he would have killed himself by now.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

nerve posted:

You aren't wrong. Norton is painfully unfunny.

You're both wrong. He is funny.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
She's probably into some really weird poo poo and knew he's down for whatever. She'd have to be to look past his obviously disgusting face, body, and personality.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Trujillo posted:

I haven't seen it in a while but I remember the parts where they interview other comics being good, but what Charlie was referring to is in the second half they start to follow some guy to bars as he gets back into stand up and surprise that part isn't as good.

That guy is really grating and not funny at all, also he spells his name Ritch Shydner which I also find grating.

Recent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02aNjcDdC5g

edit - this isn't so bad, it's not really for me but he knows what he's doing and he's not awful in this clip. If they had removed him from I am Comic, it would have been 10x better. It makes it kinda sad.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

urk the quack posted:

Louis CK just sent out an e-mail to announce he's releasing his old indie film tomorrow on his website.

Apologies for the wall of text, but here is Louis' description of the movie:

I'm hoping someone here buys it and gives a little review to see if it's worth buying. I watched a pile of his old black and white shorts on YouTube years ago and they ranged from mildly boring to mildly amusing. Did his last $5 special go up on Netflix really quickly? I know Aziz's and Gaffigan's both went up right after I bought them and it was kind of annoying.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

Comedy Central Half-Hour lineup for 2014:

· Adam Newman
· Barry Rothbart
· Chris Distefano
· Chris Gethard
· Damien Lemon
· Fortune Feimster
· Joe Wengert
· Joe Zimmerman
· Kurt Braunohler
· Mark Normand
· Michael Che
· Rachel Feinstein
· Ron Funches
· Tommy Johnagin
· Yannis Pappas

I'm excited.

Almost every one of those people has a hilarious name so I am too. I'm hoping Funches' stand up is funny because he seems so nice. Most of those people I only know from podcasts which really doesn't tell you how good their stand up is.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

I can vouch for the hilarity of all but 3 or 4 of them. Funches will be the best. Che and Brauhnohler will be amazing, too. Just Youtube some clips. Rachel Feinstein's album "Thug Tears" is a good one. I just hope it's new material on her Half Hour.

Also, a few of those folks did sets on Adam Devine's House Party.

I tried to watch that show because I used to like Workaholics but I turned it off after ten minutes and then forgot that it existed. Are there any particular episodes that are worth watching?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It reminded me of a vaguely updated Seinfeld, a format that I haven't seen in a very long time. The laughing was loving horrific and I wasn't able to tune it out. There were a few times that it seemed like they should've done another take because Mulaney's acting was atrocious. I'll still watch it though because the bits were funny and most comedy TV is garbage anyways and I want Mulaney to have all the money.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's still so hard for me to get over the Pauly Shore thing. I know he's not his characters from the 90s, but I grew up with all of those horrible movies and every time I hear him speak I still hear it. His podcast is still pretty new, but hopefully it matures because he's got a lot of awesome people going through that club. Is Adam Eget ever around?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Don't go to kyle kinane.com looking for tour dates. Some fuckheads have it now and it redirects to one of those Your PC is Infected sites. I just wanted to see where he's going on his east coast tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

This feels like a given but have many comics touched upon why white people shouldn't try to write about racism? Particularly if their experiences with other races amounts to having one black friend and watching The Cosby Show and Fresh Prince growing up.

That sounds hilarious so probably all of them.

Edit - maybe try an open mic in Portland or Brooklyn or some other hipster enclave? They only punch up, like any good comedian.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 30, 2014