Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ariza posted:

Can someone recommend some comedians like Jeselnik? I like his style and timing. I've listened to all of the big names, but I'm sure I missed somebody. I wish he'd just put out another album.

I don't know how you came across Jimmy Carr (I've seen his Comedy Central specials, but I don't know if he's done more stateside), so you might be British and I might be preaching to the converted, but Stewart Lee is probably my all time favourite comedian here. While his style is completely the opposite of Jeselnik, some of the things that come out of his mouth are incredibly offensive. But Lee is a very, very smart writer and comedian and knows exactly what he's doing, and it's a phenomenal act to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not a big fan of Tig Notaro, but this is just awful.

http://flamelikeme.tumblr.com/post/28706896651/tragedy-time-comedy-but-i-dont-have-the

Very sad news, and sounds like she's been through a hell of a time recently.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Booked flights from London to NYC for April, and definitely plan on checking one of the big comedy clubs out while I'm over there. Funnily enough, it's the same time period PFT booked a 9 day run in London, so while I know I won't get to see him over there it means I can spend an extra few nights in London and see him after I get over the jetlag. Should be super.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'll probably scour the websites to see who's billed a month or two beforehand, and if nothing takes my fancy take a chance on somewhere that might get some good guests. Just strikes me as funny that I'm travelling thousands of miles to go somewhere, when someone on my 'most wanted' list is playing the UK. If I wasn't going on the trip, I probably wouldn't be able to justify going to London so it works out wonderfully. He's doing something like 11 days in a theatre that looks like it only has 150 seats and they're all unreserved. Sounds like my kinda show!

In my 'I really should listen/watch everything PFT has put out before going' task, I watched Driven to Drink earlier. Pretty amazing show, despite the fact he's not as on top of his game as he now. Definitely transcends simple stand up into performance art and would love to see him do a spiritual sequel to it now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My favourite part about Stew's routine is that he absolutely knows what works and why it does, probably meaning the show will be very different by the end of the run compared to the first night. He uses his knowledge of how the audience will react to his advantage and manages to spin jokes into insane meta comedy.

Doctor Candiru posted:

At the very least, go to Whiplash at the UCB on Monday nights. If you're in a not-strictly-stand-up mood, check out either ASSSSCAT show on Sundays.

Sadly, the only Sunday I'm in town I'll be at Wrestlemania which is a different kind of comedy in itself, but I'll certainly look up Whiplash. Cheers!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone seen Amy Schumer live? The AV Club just mentioned she's touring in the first few months of 2013, and she'll be in my town in April. My wife and I LOVED her recent special, "Mostly Sex Stuff," but I was just hoping she'd have new material for this tour.

Here are the dates, by the way: http://www.amyschumer.com/tour

Ah drat, she's playing NYC a few days after I leave. At least I learnt of a special I hadn't seen, so that's some consolation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

So Paul F. Tompkins is coming to London in April. I've already booked my tickets and my flight since I assume this is the closest he's going to get to sweden and I'm so gosh darned excited I've forgotten how to curse like an adult http://sohotheatre.com/whats-on/paul-f-tompkins-crying-and-driving/

What date you going? It'll be the perfect way to end my holiday, coming back to the UK always depresses me after fun times abroad. I bought tickets as soon as they were announced, it blows me away that there's still availability as I'm sure it's only a 150 capacity room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm going on the 9th

Ah, 11th for us. Will keep my eye on this thread for your thoughts!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Put some money through last night but it went through as an echeck as my PP is empty, typical. Looks like the average amount shifted while I put money in too so no idea if I even got the bonus' for another few days. If I don't, anyone know if I can throw another couple of $ their way to get em?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't think he's had more than a couple of lines in a single sketch this season.

Yeah it's a shame because Whelan comes across well. One of the first episodes of the season is him on Weekend Update doing a bit from his standup about bad tattoos, so that's probably your best bet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New Hannibal is out - http://ccdirect.comedycentral.com/watch/hannibal-buress-live-chicago

I get the feeling that once I start buying stuff on CC Direct, I won't be able to stop. God bless Louis CK for this model (presumably it's because of him they did this), it's amazing as to the quality of stuff you can get for $5 these days compared to CDs and DVDs in the 90s. I hope everyone involved is still making as much money from it in the end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow that one took a while to appear given it was doing the rounds again recently and on the tails of the Chris D'Elia thing, and Ross even acknowledged it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ariza posted:

Jim Gaffigan got a little feisty on Twitter last night and the hard right nutballs are going crazy.

So, is his new special worth watching? The last one I watched was way over a decade ago and I didn't really enjoy the subjects he talked about (food mainly), but he's really quick and funny off the cuff in interviews and on podcasts so I feel like I should like him more.

Ha I feel exactly the same way, never really cared about his actual sets but whenever I hear him on CBB or whatever, he comes across as a totally good and fun dude. His twitter work last night was solid, good job!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I know this came out in 2018 but I didn't see it at the time, and now I'm subject to clips of it everytime I drive a longer distance and put on the Netflix channel on Sirius... but why did Netflix think it was a good idea to pay for a Fred Armisen special where it's all about drums, to an audience full of drummers? Like, I get niche humor but even as someone who gets the gags, there's just nothing really there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maarak posted:

Is Jon Wurster producing it?

You'll be sad to hear there is no Wurster involvement.

Jingleheimer posted:

Fred Armisen's drummer stand up is great. I don't know poo poo about drumming and I still loved it. But maybe I just love Fred. I listen to Tim Heidecker's podcast (which I highly recommend) and Fred occasionally pops in since their good friends and it's always a good time.

Maybe it needs to be seen in full and with the visual aspect? I can't put my finger on it. I don't have strong feelings for Fred either way, I know some people can't stand him but he's definitely done stuff I've enjoyed and I do mean to watch more of Portlandia after I kinda trailed off in s3 or so.

I've not listened to Heideckers podcast, but what I've seen of Office Hours is a lot of fun, especially when he ragged on one of the Florida dummies running for office, and when Chris James appeared.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was mixed on the studio stuff, I think more people were at least expecting "something" but there were still a lot of funny things. I quite enjoyed the rapper ninja warrior stuff to end the episodes with as some of them seemed legitimately pissed. Was weird they left the interview in with the lady who died since filming, did they just not realize?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's nice, kinda had a mental image of the editor sat home thinking 'I'm sure there was something I meant to cut out of this episode..."

I'm not curious as to how many people actually reacted seriously negatively about their treatment on the show. I think if you go on S5 and have a bad time you probably need to have words with your agent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that's fair, in my mind I kinda decided that this season might well be the last and that I'm fine with it. I kinda want to see what else he has up his sleeve now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

She promoted it a few weeks ago on Comedy Bang Bang podcast if you want to listen to her talk about it. All that stuff is at the beginning, so if you don’t care for the improv part you can stop listening when that begins.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gramps posted:

Bert Kreischer is a better podcaster than a standup, but he's got some great bits.

Eh I dunno about that, I watched one of the pay episodes of the Bear Cave thing and the whole thing stemmed around Segura pretending to buy coke and Bert getting increasingly wasted and annoying both his co-host and the guest. I don't know how much people paid for it, but it certainly wasn't worth actual money. The standup of his I've seen made me laugh at least, but probably because he was lucid and capable of speaking in sentences. Watching him fanboy out over speaking to Adam Sandler was also the worst, and while some people thought it was a bit I absolutely don't think that's the case.

I'm not as big on Segura as other people though, probably stemming from the show I watched of his where he spends about 5 minutes digging at his dad for being racist and saying how he doesn't understand how anyone can think like that in 2019 (or whatever) and immediately segueing into a segment where women are the butt of his joke. Some of his jokes seemed ok, but I don't get why people freak out over him.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Tom Segura stuff I found weird was from a special, I believe 2016s 'Mostly Stories'. Like the material as a whole felt fine, but I remember a thread here where people were going insane over him and I just remember feeling a bit underwhelmed. Hype can do that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He really is, found his early stuff to be the best if you’re watching something more recent though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Mulaney isn’t wrong that substance abuse makes him hilarious. It’s such a shame as he looked like someone who made it to the other side and escaped his demons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boywhiz88 posted:

And a lot of these guys are just carrying around some amount of darkness. Think of Harris Wittels. Super funny dude, but clearly had these gaps in his self that he couldn't fill.

Yeah the Harris thing is tragic, from memory while he messed about with drugs recreationally in the past, he didn’t mess with opioids until he was prescribed them which sent him down a fatal path.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve always meant to listen to that episode, I’ll have to queue it up. Thanks for the reminder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw them do a bit on some long rear end charity stream last year and they were right at the end, pissed at their placement and just ripping the poo poo out of everyone before them. Was pretty fun.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dave Chappelle sitting in his mansion, not having to interact with anyone in society that he doesn’t want to. Still mad about trans people existing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not sure Taibbi was ever someone to hold in high esteem, to be honest.

Saw Jim Jefferies last night, he touched upon Chapelle but held back from saying anything and more used it as a springboard into a gag himself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I missed Geth twice on the weekend which saddens me, but I've seen him before at least. Haven't seen a huge influx over normal down here, but lots of comedians put off coming to S Fl anyway as they'd rather hit middle to north twice instead sometimes. I know Rollins is here next year, might go see him again as he's usually a fun time and not seen any of his material since I caught him about 10 years back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have to admit, I've been nervous about returning to shows

It's definitely weird laughing with a mask on for sure, but hey if that's what it takes.

https://covidactnow.org/us/florida-fl/county/broward_county/?s=25031418 this is the site I use to track my county, and it really is reassuring to see that spike drop nearly as quickly as it grew. I made sure to get my booster a week+ prior to heading to Gainesville for Fest though, and they had a strict vax card or recent neg test result in place at least. I'll be watching the Facebook group to see if people start popping posi tests, but a lot of it was outside which helps.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always been impressed by Breuer's ability to play characters in films who are infinitely smarter than he is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He’s stuck in a cycle of clearing things up from the last thing he did, which was supposed to clear things up. I look forward to his full page ad in a newspaper to clear this high school Q&A up.

Who knew Chappelle going into a comedy exodus was going to be one of the better things he did for his career.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder what the source % income split is for comedians, and how it’s changed over the last decade as these services become more popular. Unless you’re really up there, pretty much everything now must be centered around ticket sales for live performances and with that being on hold last year… drat. Like, at least bands have good merch sales.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because they have a room full of people who can run analytics and tell them that in the long run, that’s the decision that works out best for them. It’s lovely for sure, but Spotify have never been a company that runs on good ethics and there’s no reason to believe that will ever change as long as this brings in the most profit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I do not concern myself with the problems of millionaires.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was so relieved his last special was a return to form, because the one prior was so disappointing.

The Mulaney thing makes me sad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gervais himself did some interview a few months back about how he wanted to get canceled from it. The whole thing feels like a cheap publicity push. The clip they put online is so tired, he acts like he’s original for coming up with concepts that have been worn into the ground over the last 20 years ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how Ricky is so completely self unaware that he thinks he's doing such brave, daring, fresh material when you can use a special recorded years prior to completely tear down his own.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I would’ve assumed a lack of audience was a covid thing rather than ‘unable to sell’ thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The whole stuff about Norm being a pretend drunk to grope girls really sucked. I want to enjoy this special but man the whole unexpected death/kinda unexpected sex pest was a lovely double whammy.

However, I totally advise all victims to go this route when legal options aren’t available. Sour your attackers reputation the moment everyone wants to talk nothing but praise about them.