Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«66 »
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/xhkDqVS.jpg

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

bewbies posted:

There was one good thing about living in El Paso and that was pork adobado/adovado/however you spell it. I would like to recreate this dish

does this look like a good starting point?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...ork-recipe.html

It has raisins what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

you dont taste them in the final product

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

Raisins don't belong in actual food. Just cereal and fruit cake.

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

I placed first in my category (traditional no beans) yet lost overall to someone else from the same category. My coworkers voting make no sense!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ranter posted:

I placed first in my category (traditional no beans) yet lost overall to someone else from the same category. My coworkers voting make no sense!

No one actually knows what makes good chili. Anywhere. Not even this thread. For example, one of my coworkers only ever seems to cook with habanero peppers as a base. It's those or spicier and nothing milder. I can respect that, but, come on. Anyway, a couple months ago, they brought in some of their left over chili. I didn't get to try it, but all the other coworkers who did had uh... stomach issues with it. So I went and made some Iron Leg(I guess it's now theysayheygreg?) chili, dolled it up a bit more with some 80% dark chocolate, a really light, malty, local octoberfest beer, and just subbed the whole tomatoes for an equal amount of diced fire roasted tomatoes with garlic, and added a bit of fish sauce for umami. The coworkers tasted it, and I think they were more perplexed than anything else by it. They didn't hate it, but I think they didn't know chili could have things like depth of flavor and texture. The guy who loves habaneros wa blown away that chili didn't have to be hell-scorching hot to taste good. My supervisor, who had *judged* chili cook offs previously, didn't know what to make of it. I'm not bragging here, it was legitimately a bit concerning that so many people were just thrown for a loop over this chili.

Nobody knows what the hell.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.

Itís almost like if you want to win a chili competition at work you should cater to the tastes of the judges instead of trying to persuade them that your chili is the best because itís so much more right than anyone elseís.

I get it, we all like to show off our cooking skills and sophisticated tastes, but you have to pitch to your audience if you want to win.

Whalley
Mar 5, 2004

neato devito

neogeo0823 posted:

No one actually knows what makes good chili. Anywhere. Not even this thread.

tomatoes

Yeah good point

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Bleak Gremlin

I'm gonna make some chili tomorrow, its gonna be good

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Whalley posted:

Yeah good point

Yeah, exactly, thank you.

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

I won twice in row in the preceding years with the same recipe. My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too. I wasn't lamenting on their tastes, they have been spot on the last 2 years (when I won them). The plaque posted on the last page was me.

I just heard from my boss that he overheard 2 coworkers asking which one was mine so that they wouldn't vote for it because they wanted to give someone else a 'turn at winning'.

Ranter fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2018 around 02:53

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ranter posted:

I won twice in row in the preceding years with the same recipe. My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too. I wasn't lamenting on their tastes, they have been spot on the last 2 years (when I won them). The plaque posted on the last page was me.

I just heard from my boss that he overheard 2 coworkers asking which one was mine so that they wouldn't vote for it because they wanted to give someone else a 'turn at winning'.

You aren't gonna let them get away with this are you?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ranter posted:

My confusion was that I won my category, the judges (coworkers) voted my chili the best no bean chili, but then gave the best overall to someone else in the same category. Logically, my competitor should have won my category too.

This is faulty logic. Theirs might not have been as good at being a traditional Texas style chili, thus didn't win your category, but it may have been more pleasing overall to the judges' tastes, thus winning the overall.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Are you sure you didn't overdo the chocolate? If you put too much in, it starts tasting less like chili and more like mole which would elicit a very confused response for someone expecting to eat chili.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Are you sure you didn't overdo the chocolate? If you put too much in, it starts tasting less like chili and more like mole which would elicit a very confused response for someone expecting to eat chili.

Nah, I threw 4 squares of a bar of lindt's that I had in the freezer into something like 4 or 5 quarts of chili. All told, I'd say it was maybe a tablespoon and a half of chocolate? Just enough to get a very slight bittersweet note in the background at the very end.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

What I love about chili is that itís better after a day or 2 in the fridge, so you can make a big pot the night before a party. Great food with zero effort on party day

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Bleak Gremlin

Any suggestions for a chili that is way spicier than I was planning? Its been cooking for 2 hours and I did a taste test to check on the flavor and it was way spicier than I expected, I guess those dried chili arbols had more kick in them than I remembered

I added some molasses, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for it

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

Any suggestions for a chili that is way spicier than I was planning? Its been cooking for 2 hours and I did a taste test to check on the flavor and it was way spicier than I expected, I guess those dried chili arbols had more kick in them than I remembered

I added some molasses, but I was wondering what other suggestions people have for it
I used arbols too and thought it was gonna be hella spicy at that point but after cooking 4+ hours and then leaving it in the fridge overnight the spice really mellowed out to just a slight kick

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Citrus juice can help cool it down.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Take out half the cooking liquid and replace it with stock and reseason.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

This Red Text Is Brought To You By The Fact That Paul Stastny Had To Go To FUCKING WINNIPEG To Get A Shot At A Stanley Cup.

P.S. Missouri is full of nothing but meth and so am I.

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

There was one good thing about living in El Paso and that was pork adobado/adovado/however you spell it. I would like to recreate this dish

does this look like a good starting point?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...ork-recipe.html

this was outstanding

used way less OJ and raisins than it called for. gravy was fantastic. was a bit greasy, would use a pork loin next time vice a butt.

make this if you want to change it up from chili con carne and or want tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Bleak Gremlin

I added some more molasses and some pureed tomatoes and that seems to have gotten everything back to the preferred flavor profile. I pureed the initial batch of peppers (fresh serranos and poblanos, rehydrated chipotles and arbols) I put in there, so I can't really swap out the liquid.

«66 »