Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

paraquat posted:

Hmmm, I'm not going to post a chili picture, as they're not what's important (but think dark brown ;-) )

yeah, so, picture goodness anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything

paraquat posted:

yeah, so, picture goodness anyway!

Looks good for dipping!

edit: God drat I'm hungry, need to make some chili

Shapiro fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 4, 2012

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
loving chili snobs.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

barbudo posted:

loving chili snobs.

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oddly enough I am snobbish as hell but have been having intense cravings for ground meat and kidney bean chili for weeks now and I think this weekend is the time to break down and make it. I will still refuse the sacrilege that is tomatoes and use the last of the chili powder I made but other then that I am going to take a picture of the back of a spice packet and go from there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bunnielab posted:

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Oddly enough I am snobbish as hell but have been having intense cravings for ground meat and kidney bean chili for weeks now and I think this weekend is the time to break down and make it. I will still refuse the sacrilege that is tomatoes and use the last of the chili powder I made but other then that I am going to take a picture of the back of a spice packet and go from there.

Just think hot dog chili.

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

I mean, if you just go beyond spice packets, that step alone makes ground beef and bean chili really palatable and awesome in its own way.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, turns out if you take one step in the right direction you don't need to take steps 2 or 3. I mean who cares, right? It's good enough.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Just think hot dog chili.

Hot dog chili should really never have beans in it.

I think what I am craving is Spicy Sloppy Joes with Beans and cumin. I also want to eat it with runny eggs and maybe some fried potatoes. I feel the need for hangover food but without the hangover.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I don't have a problem with beans, and if they're southwesterny type beans all the better, but don't tomatoes overpower the awesome flavors of chili? Some of you guys are adding huge jugs of tomato sauce and whole tomatoes. I advise backing off of that for one batch, and see if you like it better without that sweet tomato taste.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
All of these recipes look great, though judging on the way people are commenting, it almost feels as if the ideal chili is actually curry. Curry is also delicious, though, don't get me wrong. I'll always have to have beans in my chili though, the texture is almost as important as the taste for me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Curry is just a dish with a blend of spices. There are many curries. Chili is a subset of curry. Curry is not necessarily chili. There are curries with legumes. There are curries without.

The "ideal" curry is comprised of meat chunks braised in ground up dried chilies with some other spices such as cumin, pepper, bay. Chili is not a tomato based meat dish. It is a chile based meat dish. Hence the name, "chili".

Chili is short for chili con carne. Chilies with meat. The "ideal" chili is just that. Chili sauce. Meat.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 5, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Every time I look at this thread I get this awful pain right in my kitchen like there is a hole where a food mill is supposed to be.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I made some chili based on this thread last night. It was wonderful! I didn't have stock on hand, so I subbed in two bottles (minus a few oz for the doctor) of Modela Negra, since it was the most appropriate beer they had at my grocery store. I don't think I'll ever be interested in normal ground beef + tomato sauce + spice packet chili again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welcome to the side of light and righteousness.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I made chili last week and went whole-hog. I bought dried chilies, stemmed and seeded, toasted them, ground them, made them into chili powder. Then I made chili without a smidge of tomato in the whole dish, anywhere. No ground meat, no beans. I was a little skeptical until, around hour three, the beef fell apart and turned the whole thing into shredded meat suspended in delicious, delicious sauce.

Thanks, thread. That was worth it. There's room for improvement, but that's not a bad thing.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Does anyone have the OP recipe from the last chili thread on hand?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

paraquat posted:

-honey and brown sugar, to counteract:
-a dash of balsamico vinegar

I think you accidentally cut-and-pasted part of a different recipe into your post.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scientastic posted:

I think you accidentally cut-and-pasted part of a different recipe into your post.

Nah... it's because I used stew meat for the first time in a chili, and the bayleaf idea came from this thread, and then my brain said: stew meat and bayleaf... That means your dish needs a tiny bit of acid, hence the balsamic vinegar. And then I remembered I was making chili and that i was being weird, hmmm.
All I can say is that there were only really small amounts of the vinegar and sweeteners in there, and it didnt ruin the dish.
Oh well...

In my defence, though: I'm a girl!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2012

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So last night I made some chilli. Given that I live in the UK and ingredients are kind of scarce since mexican stuff isn't that popular over here, I made do with the best I could:

Dried ancho, chipotle and gaujillo (I have a place nearby that sells these, luckily enough)
Jalapenos
Red onion (didn't have anything else)
Oxtail
Sausage meat
Tequila

Made a powder out of some of the crushed chiles. Used this as the base for the sauce. Browned off the meat, then deglazed it with the veggies and some of the tequila. Once the tequila was mostly evaporated, added the meat back and covered it all up with some good beef stock. Added some bay leaves, a few of the dried chiles to rehydrate in the stock, then basically simmered it until the oxtail was literally falling off the bone.

Didn't look the prettiest but drat it tasted good. Did I do good, chili masters?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

paraquat posted:

What kind of defense is that? :confused:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Casu Marzu posted:

What kind of defense is that? :confused:

It tells you that, whatever I do, my food is de-li-cious! :-D

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010

paraquat posted:

It tells you that, whatever I do, my food is de-li-cious! :-D
okay, I was trying to stick up for you before, but that's loving weird.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

paraquat posted:

Pretty sure you'd get skewered for calling yourself retarded because you're a girl ~teehee~

Sorry about your everything about you.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Now let's all forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice-cream.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

paraquat posted:

Don't do this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

fuckpot posted:

Now let's all forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice-cream.

The only correct icecream for trouble forgetting purposes is Vanilla and Elderflower:colbert:

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Walk Away posted:

Don't do this.

It's proving a point.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm seeing lots of beef, how do you guys feel about pork and a pork stock? Beef anything is hella expensive over here, pork is much more reasonable.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm seeing lots of beef, how do you guys feel about pork and a pork stock? Beef anything is hella expensive over here, pork is much more reasonable.

Are you a retarded girl?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SYFY HYPHY posted:

Are you a retarded girl?

No I'm a manly bro, however dropping $80 to make chili is unacceptable.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

No I'm a manly bro, however dropping $80 to make chili is unacceptable.

it's ok, you can just use ground lean turkey! and make sure not to brown it - just grey it off.

it'll be ok, because you're a girl! tee-hee!!!!!!!!!

gently caress patriarchy always forever, and gently caress you paraquat for posting like a misogynistic twat

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 7, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I've made chili using pork shoulder, it came out with the like pulled pork bbq except with chili sauce instead of bbq sauce. Perfectly acceptable.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

You're in korea if i recall? Even chuck, shin or oxtail? You want the cheapest connective tissue riddled pieces, not fillet or galbi. Or just use pork or a mix.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

branedotorg posted:

You're in korea if i recall? Even chuck, shin or oxtail? You want the cheapest connective tissue riddled pieces, not fillet or galbi. Or just use pork or a mix.

Indeed I am. Those are cheaper but pretty much all beef is terribly expensive unless I can score some American MAD COW HOLY poo poo!!! beef for nothing. The concept of a pulled pork chili is deeply intriguing to me, I will try with some shoulder. Pork isn't exactly cheap either but compared to beef, no contest.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Grand Fromage posted:

Indeed I am. Those are cheaper but pretty much all beef is terribly expensive unless I can score some American MAD COW HOLY poo poo!!! beef for nothing. The concept of a pulled pork chili is deeply intriguing to me, I will try with some shoulder. Pork isn't exactly cheap either but compared to beef, no contest.

Just go nuts and make a fish chilli

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

SYFY HYPHY posted:

It's proving a point.

No, you see, she is trying to learn how to cook because she knows that her proper place is in the kitchen. But I guess that since I too am a girl (tee-hee), I shouldn't be addressing you in the first place. Let me just go make some babies and cook all of you manly-men some sammiches.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Grand Fromage posted:

Pork will make fine chili. You may want to skim a little fat off the top if you get a noticeable amount of grease floating on top. Leave some, because pork fat is delicious.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

Potential BFF posted:

Does anyone have the OP recipe from the last chili thread on hand?

I posted it a bit upthread for somebody else, here's a link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post401502041

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Grand Fromage posted:

Go with pork. Add some Colorado/New Mexico chiles, maybe some chipotle, oregano, some fresh squeezed lime at the end serve with fresh tortillas and some toppings (radish, red onion, cilantro, whatever) and you have Carne con Chile, the great grandfather of the classic Texas Red in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What kind of flavor profile do those chiles have? I'd have to hunt down a substitute. I have a giant bag of dried generic hot red peppers at the moment.