Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Resting Lich Face posted:

Clearly there is no such thing as chili.

I'm gonna saute that until it pops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bubble Yum to taste...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thinking and laughing at the thought of a bagel elitist getting really mad about strange bagel ingredients. Just making a multi-page rant about how real bagels only use seeds

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Anything that's not an egg everything isn't a bagel in my eyes

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Control Volume posted:

Thinking and laughing at the thought of a bagel elitist getting really mad about strange bagel ingredients. Just making a multi-page rant about how real bagels only use seeds
Yes, actually. There has been gatekeeping about seeds in bagles for a while and usually from the same people who say "BAG-ul" and not "BAY-gull". It isn't a coincidence.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
uh what? its neither of those its bay-gehl

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ranter posted:

uh what? its neither of those its bay-gehl

B'geel

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
So handsome

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
sure but its not a beagle

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Anything can be a bagel, as long as you're within a 15 or so mile radius of the Empire State building.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
For Arbol and Guajillog dried chilies is it better to cook then in a small amount of water to soften and thru them in the chili or try to blitz them into powder In a spice blender

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
both

soak to soften, blitz to make paste

this is easier than drying/toasting them enough to make a proper powder

you can put leftover paste in the freezer

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Ranter posted:

both

soak to soften, blitz to make paste

this is easier than drying/toasting them enough to make a proper powder

This is the correct answer.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Thanks

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ranter posted:

I always do a whole bag of peppers to make a shitload of paste, freeze it, and then I have enough for like 3 batches of chili. It's great.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Goddamn that looks good, is that posole/maiz mote/whatever in there? I just bought 5 pounds of it dry from NM and holy crap it's so much better than canned, and I love the canned.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 15, 2019

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How would i go about adapting the Iron Leg/Theysayheygreg chili recipe from the first page for cooking in an instant pot? Looking around the web, i get that i should sautee everything that needs it, then add everything else in and pressure cook for 15-20 minutes. Do i need to change the amounts of liquids that go in? If so, how?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Myron Baloney posted:

Goddamn that looks good, is that posole/maiz mote/whatever in there? I just bought 5 pounds of it dry from NM and holy crap it's so much better than canned, and I love the canned.

Corn and hominy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

neogeo0823 posted:

How would i go about adapting the Iron Leg/Theysayheygreg chili recipe from the first page for cooking in an instant pot? Looking around the web, i get that i should sautee everything that needs it, then add everything else in and pressure cook for 15-20 minutes. Do i need to change the amounts of liquids that go in? If so, how?

Nope, everything stays pretty much the same. You can reduce the amount of liquid if you want, less simmering off to do.

I have a lamb heart and some pork shoulder chunks, probably gonna whip up Iron Leg style chilli this week.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nope, everything stays pretty much the same. You can reduce the amount of liquid if you want, less simmering off to do.

I have a lamb heart and some pork shoulder chunks, probably gonna whip up Iron Leg style chilli this week.

Chili is finished. I should've maybe cut 1/4 to 1/2 of the liquid. At least the beef stock. It almost filled the 8qt instant pot to the full mark, and was far, far too watery at the end. I had to simmer it on high and add 3 extra tablespoons of masa to get it to anything like a decent consistency. The beef turned amazingly tender though. And the flavor is good. But now the apartment smells of nothing but cinnamon, which is odd for this recipe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Time for a great debate:

If you put meat in your chili (because vegetarian chili is fine in my book), chunks or ground?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Depends on the meat.

Chicken? Shredded.

Pork? Ground.

Beef/venison/bear? Coarse ground.

If I was using smoked pork or beef for some reason, they'd probably go in shredded as well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
pork shoulder chunks are gooood

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Also depends on what I've got and what I'm shooting for. If I'm spending a day making a beef chili that will be the primary meal for a bunch of friends coming over to watch a football game, then I do chuck chunks (or brisket if I've got leftovers from smoking). If I'm batching a beef chili for freezing/chili dogs/a quick weeknight meal, ground.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's part of why I use ground. I'm usually cooking a pot for one, and with a ground beef chili I can reuse it for a baked potato topping or in a chili taco later in the week when I'm tired of straight chili.

If I've got pork shoulder chunks I'm just gonna make carnitas instead. :D

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chunks, but they break down because you cook your chilli for three days

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've been doing chunks because I'm a recovering insufferable "authenticity" snob, but my wife has always preferred ground. Cook's Illustrated suggested adding a little baking soda to the ground beef before browning to improve moisture retention. Has anyone tried that and did it make a noticeable difference?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Even with my fake meats i want that poo poo gets ground up sos to gets outta the ways. If I cant drink my chilli in a hurry I failed.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Junkie Disease posted:

Even with my fake meats i want that poo poo gets ground up sos to gets outta the ways. If I cant drink my chilli in a hurry I failed.

Just put it in a blender, dummy. Slurry time.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I've been doing chunks because I'm a recovering insufferable "authenticity" snob, but my wife has always preferred ground. Cook's Illustrated suggested adding a little baking soda to the ground beef before browning to improve moisture retention. Has anyone tried that and did it make a noticeable difference?

I use ground meat to be authentic to how I ate chili growing up, with ground beef. Chunks are good but they always feel so pretentious compared to ground beef chili like my mom made.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I use ground meat to be authentic to how I ate chili growing up, with ground beef. Chunks are good but they always feel so pretentious compared to ground beef chili like my mom made.

Yikes

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Improving recipes is pretentious, let’s all just eat hotdish out of a trough

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Why make it hot? Cold was good enough for my ancestors.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
For “eat in a bowl” chili, I do both. 2 parts chunks, to 1 part ground. I brown the heck out of the ground first for the flavor, and it also adds body.

For sauce chili, just ground.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Neither. Just beans.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Pretentious isn’t the right word, maybe upscale works better. Chunks are good, they just take slightly more effort in browning and more time to breakdown, but ground beef can be nice as well.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

something magic about my veggie chili days later eaten from the fridge cold as this delish, spicy dirt, all beany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Discussion Quorum posted:

I don't gently caress with baking soda when I can just fry the meat a little longer in its own fat before adding the onions.