Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don't forget how regional chili is. People who are use to eating a 'mid-west' chili (think about what they serve at Wendy's) are going to turn their noses up at a Texas-style chili with steak and no beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QBit posted:

Is the topic of starch pairings with chili as divisive as beans?

I prefer rice as the foundation layer to serve chili on, but that's probably because it's what I'm most used to. Is there a regional breakdown of preferred sides to chili like there are regional trends in other foods?

You could serve it over rice, macaroni, inside a tortilla, but the only way I eat is by dunking bread+butter into it.

You can serve it on top of a hotdog but I'd use coney sauce, not chili.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WombatCyborg posted:

Anybody have a good idea for meat substitutes that work well in chili for us vegetarian goons? I want to taste a good chili in my life at some point haha.

Tofu works.

Solus posted:

Anyone got a good mid-west style recipe for cheap students looking to feed themselves without spending a lot of money

Just dump a bunch of chili-type ingredients in a pot and cook it. For the above I sauted some chopped green bell pepper and onions, then put in a couple cans of beans, tomatoes, couple spoons of chili powder, and a big handful of chopped jalepenos. Salt+pepper to taste, add whatever else you want, corn, hominy, whatever. Let it simmer for at least an hour.

Of course, brown some hamburger then toss it in there if you don't want tofu.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What can you do to make it come out less tomatoey? Other than hurt use less tomato.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BBQ Dave posted:

Well, it's chili cook off time in my town again. In 2010 I got people's choice, and in 2011 I failed to place at all with the same recipe

The bar I go to has a yearly chili-cookoff. By the 4th bowl of chili my tongue goes numb and I can't taste a drat difference between them, so don't feel bad.

I've decided there's no good canned chili. Surprise, surprise. I'll eat Hormel or Wolf at work, if I get a couple cans for $1, but it's not very good. At least as not as good as this guy thinks it is:

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/10318323/wolf-brand-no-beans-chili-24-oz-reviews/reviews.htm

quote:

Best chili ever in a can.
07/24/2009
Camerageek
Kentucky
5 out of 5
I would recommend this over all other brands I have tryed this chili is the best esp. on hot dogs or frito pie.more walmarts should carry it esp. in Kentucky!!As far as canned chili you can't go wrong with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rj54x posted:

Get an immersion (stick) blender. Throw chilis into a bowl, shove blender in, done. Also very cheap and very multi-purpose (one of my most used gadgets).

I have a Cuisinart immersion blender that was only like $35 - rules for making soups.

Any dutch oven deals to be had right now?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

While I agree with what you say, the person i was making it for wanted it like... super smooth. I was trying to oblige and wanted to test the stick blender. It did not perform well in this test, but i guess is expected too much of it. I will give it more chances in the future.

Potato masher or food processor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

regularizer posted:

I'm soaking some dried black beans tonight to use in a chili I'm making in a pressure cooker tomorrow. Should I cook the beans before making the chili and then add them in and cook the chili as a whole, or should I add the beans soaked but uncooked? It's also my first time making chili in a pressure cooker; is 30 minutes about right?

You don't need to pre-cook the beans if you soak them.

30 minutes might not be quite long enough, you'll have to check to see how done the beans are. Usually the longer you let chili sit, the better it's going to taste. It's not really a 30-minute meal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there any possible way to get a chili going in an hour or so? I really wanted some yesterday but it was already 6:00 pm...

Had to resist opening the can of Wolf chili I bought for emergencies.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

How do you guys feel about panades?

I've noticed that most of the time when working with ground meats, America's Test Kitchen will work in a panade.

The ratio is 1lb meat, one slice white bread, 2 tablespoons whole milk. Mash milk and bread together with a fork into a paste then work it into the meat with your hands. After that do what you were planning to do.

I tried it with a basic chili last night, and the ground beef was noticeably more tender and less chewy than I've been used to.

I do that for frying/baking meatballs (adding other spices and cheese and what not) but it doesn't seem like it would make a difference in chili where it's cooked for a long time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone used smoked sausage of some sort in chili?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I use bone-in short rib and just chuck the whole pot into the oven for 3 hours at 300F. 90 minutes covered, stir, 90 minutes uncovered. Enameled cast iron is awesome.

I cube up chuck eye steaks to make burritos or whatever, I throw in onion/green pepper/tomato/chilis, and in only about 45 minutes it gets pretty dang soupy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

I use the cheapo chorizo tubes made of lips and salivary glands, cook it all the way down, toss my stew meat in and brown it all up in the red grease, and then add everything else on top of that.

Chorizo really varies in quality. I like to buy it freshly made at the Mexican store by my house, but there are a few regular stores that make their own in the meat department, and it's not bad. The worst is the Supremo brand at Walmart. It doesn't have any grease to it and it's ground up really fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I've used things like beef shortribs to make chili and man that poo poo gets greasy as hell. Any ideas? The grease runs RIGHT through me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CowboyKid posted:

I think a whole can makes it too smoky.

Tastes too much like BBQ instead of chili.

I made a small pulled pork with a whole can of chipotles in adobo and my piss smelled like campfire smoke for a whole day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Echeveria posted:

Oh this is a really good idea. Could you post or pm me the recipe?

It was basically season a 3lb pork butt with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, sear it, throw in the can of chipotles (basically coat the top of the butt) and two chopped onions and like 4 seeded serranos. In the oven at 250-300 for 3-4 hours.

Rip apart and make tacos and nachos out of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've been itching to make some chili for the last month, but my wife's been on a no-red-meat kick, and meat in general has been really expensive. So, I caved and we're now apparently doing tofu chili with soy chorizo.

Make sweet potato chili, don't use stupid meat substitutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Shank, short ribs. You want the tough parts with lots of connective tissue.

Short ribs are like $8/lb here :eek:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

4. A lot of people (myself included) like to add sausage in with the mix. Like a pound of chorizo to go with the 4 pounds of beef. I'm still debating this myself (I worry I'm adding too much fat) but it's fun to try.

Are you talking the raw mexican style chorizo or the cured spanish style?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Do you do anything with the grease? I've wanted to try it for a while.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Burnt a few of my chilis when I was roasting them, hopefully it doesn't ruin my chili. Oxtail and beef heart.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

How to win a midwestern bar chili cookoff:

Use hamburger
Don't make it spicy
Fucktons of tomatoes
Make it watery

This is the second time in 5 years that I've entered the chili cookoff at my local bar. I had no intentions of winning, I just went to have some chili and eat some chili and hang out. Besides, I think it's rigged because the same guy wins every year.

My not winning chili.

I heard a bunch of people say "#8 is too hot!". It wasn't even hot! I did get a few people tell me it was their favorite and the "only one with any flavor". And I smiled a bit when people went back up for a regular, non-tasting bowl. Everything else was sweet, tomatoey, one tasted like they used Chef Boyardee Ravioli sauce, some mother fucker put meatballs in their chili, someone else had so much italian sausage in theirs...

There were no white chicken chilis or venison chili like there usually is. Some weirdo put in 1" chunks of pork chops or something. Very tough.

My recipe was basically:
1 beef heart
3 oxtails (I really should have doubled or tripled this, goddamn meat on those things were delicious
1 pack of guajilos
1 pack of anchos
1 pack of californias
1 huge yellow onion
2 big diced tomatoes
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
5 fresh serranos
1 can of beef stock
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 cloves of garlic
1 bell pepper
2 shots of cabo wabo
2 tbsp dark corn syrup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 chipotles and a spoonful of adobo sauce

big splashes of various poo poo I found in the fridge. soy sauce, a couple hot sauces

5 hours of cooking on saturday and 2 more hours on sunday

If I were to do it all over again:

A little more liquid. Another can of beans (maybe red). More oxtails or shanks. A couple fresh jalapenos. Only 1, or maybe no chipotles, or at least no sauce. It was too smoky.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

But...it was a chili cookoff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

4-5 chilis in each pack. I find my heart at the end section of the beef cooler at meijer with the tails and shanks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

One can of red, one can of black, one can of pinto.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My next chili is going to be shortribs, oxtails, and shanks. Mmmmmm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

If you want powder, toast the peppers in an oven till they get aromatic.
KEEP AN EYE ON THEM SO THEY DONT BURN

Dumb question - wouldn't the chilis release their oils blah blah when you simmer them in your chili or mole or whatever you are making with them? Is this a necessary step?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cincinnati chili should stay in 'weird regional foods' or 'disgusting things from your hometown that nobody else eats'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chili is regional. Up here in Michigan you'll hear "Why the heck is this all meat? Where's the beans? Aren't there any tomato in here? Why is it so thick?" if you present a Texas-style chili.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Those are all types of pizza, just like Texas style, Cincinnati style, etc. are all styles of chili. I'm asking more if anybody yells at other people for 'mistakenly' calling Chicago style pizza 'pizza' in that thread.

Putting cheddar cheese and pepperoni on macaroni elbows would be 'cincinatti pizza' and it would also make me very angry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone made 'colorado green chili' with pork and a ton of anaheims? Saw it on America's Test Kitchen and it looked pretty good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fo3 posted:

E: I prefer to toast under a broiler/grill rather than an oven or pan.
Be super careful with a broiler. I've had a pan of chilis start smoldering :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you live near the 'hood', check a Sav A Lot store. They have a whole refrigerator section of random pig parts. "Poor people like they pork."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

FaradayCage posted:

Geez...did someone die or is summer the off-season for chili?
I'm waiting for fall and I'm going to make the gently caress out of some chili.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Yeah those tight plastic sleeves of lips and assholes are like a dollar each on the west coast US, beef or pork, pretty much any grocery and even half of the quickie marts carry it. My family and I have always preferred pork, and we used to make it when I was a kid.
The stuff in those tubes is just...I don't know but it's not very good. The stuff from the local Mexican bakery is a hundred times better.

coyo7e posted:

When I do a pot of pinto beans I like to throw in half a chaw of chorizo and just let it completely dissolve though - saves needing to do pretty much anything else to season ;)
Chorizo-infused refried beans are so good. Even La Prefreida sells that variety.

(yes, I realize I just poo poo on mass-produced chorizo and then praised refried beans in a can)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have been making chili a lot the last couple months, and ended up with something I like.

2-2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. season with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, paprika, bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 45 minutes and then hit them with the broiler for 5 minutes or longer, give them some color and crisp them up. Flip and do the same to the other side for a few minutes. remove from the sheet and set aside.

Dice 1-1/2 yellow onions, and 8 jalapeno peppers (remove the ribs/seeds), crush 6 cloves of garlic. Drizzle a little olive oil over the mixture. Roast this in the oven until soften, then hit with the broiler to blacken the surface a bit.

In a dutch oven or big pot, add the vegetables over medium heat. Turn the heat down to low and cover for about 15 minutes. Add 1 14.5oz can of crushed tomatoes, allow that to cook down a little bit.

Add 2 crushed tostada shells (2 corn tortillas, fried hard)j or the equivalent in tortilla chips

Next add the following seasoning:
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder,
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cocoa
1 tbsp brown sugar
cayenne pepper to taste
chipolte powder to taste
1 tsp soy sauce or worchestshire

stir this all and let it cook for another 5 minutes

Next add 1 can (drained) each of kidney, black and pinto beans (14.5 oz)

Then add enough beef broth to cover the beans, let this simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or so

Cube the chicken thighs and add to the chili. Let them cook for another 10-15 minutes. You may need to add more broth.

At this point you want to salt to taste and you're ready to eat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ranter posted:

Can you go into more detail on this? Can you provide a specific brand? An actual Mexican supermarket chain in California sells the stuff you say is poo poo, but also carries like 10 brands, so knowing some brands you think are good would be really useful.

I'm thinking the stuff I see at Kroger or Walmart. Cacique, Supremo, El Popular, the meat is too fine, it's not seasoned well, it's just one of those things you have to find local. Even the stuff at the meat counter at Meijer or something is much better than the pre-packaged stuff. But the local Mexican stores are my first choice.

I've been to the Bay Area and had beef chorizo which was a first but I didn't do any shopping/cooking when I was there. I'm in Michigan and all the Latinos here are/were migrant workers from Texas/Mexico, so our food is classic Tex-Mex.

quote:

Why is a bakery selling meat products?

They just sell whatever. Spices, snacks, pinatas, tamales, all kinds of random crap. A lot of them sell cooked meat or menudo on the weekends, or things like chicharones.

This one is right by my house and they mix up their own chorizo:

http://www.vargastortillas.com/

Here's another one that I like that's also in my area:

https://www.facebook.com/La-Estrella-Del-Norte-Bakery-232811917161400/?rf=120247954654359

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

bewbies posted:

The grocery store here has really good uncased chorizo and I figured that'd be an easy/cheap way to get more flavor without having to use lots of spices.

I tried chorizo last time I made chili, I didn't feel like it really added anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ranter posted:

My work comp winners were both let to sit in the fridge 2 days ahead of time for this very reason. Everyone else was doing theirs the night before.

My chili always loses all the heat after sitting in the fridge for a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I mean heat as in spiciness. Of course the temperature will go down...

Anyway, I usually use like 7-8 jalapenos, a spoonfull of chipotle pepper+sauce from the can, and then chili powder, a splash of cayenne...not the hottest in the world but when I eat a bowl for dinner that day it usually makes the top of my head sweat a little bit.

I don't remove any fat, leftovers go to a pyrex dish to cool on the counter and then into the fridge over night. I warm it up at work the next day (add a touch of water but that's it) and it's just not spicy at all.

Somehow it tames out after sitting.